Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 17:01   #3601
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I mean this route.

Oh alright. Anmod Ghat is NH748 up to Londa. There to Dharwad is SH34. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
This route is in good shape, as I mentioned in the reply to phreakv6. The monsoons sure have made it all the more beautiful.

Drive Safe.
Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2016 at 14:02. Reason: Removed quote tag
Old 31st August 2016, 12:07   #3602
BHPian

I guess we are quite a gang driving to Goa from Bangalore this long weekend (3rd to 5th September). My suggestion, if we can drive in a group, this could be yet another T-Bhp Drive!

My plan is to reach Tahira Beach Resort, Ashvem Beach, Goa by afternoon 3rd September. I plan to take this route:

Bangalore - Dharwad bypass - Giriyal - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Morjim - Tahira Beach Resort.

Google Map link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Amru....6485213?hl=en

Note: I'm traveling with my family (mom, wifey & 3yr old kid).

Please advice!

Regards
Saurav
Old 31st August 2016, 12:28   #3603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Route is perfectly fine. However, based on the time of departure from Bangalore and the progress made, you can take a call between Dharwad - Khanapur - Jamboti or Belgaum - Jamboti.

If you are making really good progress, taking the Khanapur option works and you can have you lunch around Chorla (Wildernest Resort etc)

If you are running late, the idea is to enter Belgaum, take a lunch break and then continue towards Chorla. This is mainly because after Kamat near Varur which is 16 kms before you hit Hubli Bypass Circle, you don't have a good place to break for lunch till Chorla in case you are not taking the Belgaum route.

With kid(s) and family in tow, via Belgaum will make sense then if you are crossing Hubli at 11am or later. Anything before 11am, you can bypass Belgaum and take the Khanapur-Chorla option so that by lunch time, you are at Chorla.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:27   #3604
BHPian

Hi,

Any quick comments on the latest road conditions on the Hubli- Alnavar- Anmod route? I am planning to drive on Sat morning. The roads near Anmod get damaged quite easily during the monsoon,hence worried :(

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2016 at 14:03. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 1st September 2016, 17:40   #3605
BHPian

The trip was super fun guys. We took the Anmod ghat route for the onward journey. Started at 4am from Bangalore, took the NICE road from Bannerghetta road to Tumkur road and stopped at Kamat in Ranebennur for breakfast at around 7:45am. Did this stretch of around 315kms in about 3 hours and 45 mins. The highway was in good condition with little undulations here and there but nothing bad.

We started again at 8:30am and we did not touch Hubli/Dharwad and instead took the Hubli/Dharwad bypass which I recommend as it cuts down town traffic. Once you hit SH-34 it is two-lane opposing traffic without the median. Since we had done very good time until here, we took it slow and enjoyed the drive. The roads are extremely good condition until Ponda where the road has a breakout like a teenager's face for 500 metre stretches (3-4 of them). Once you have roved over this surface from mars, things get better though. In all it might be about 2-3km of real bad road and that's it. What I found very nice was that all the trucks that ply this route give you way. I am not talking one or two instances but about 20-30 instances. Maybe it was my lucky day. We reached around 1:15 pm which was about 9 hours with around 1.5 hours of stops including about 45 mins for breakfast.

I should also mention that the entire toll expense was around Rs.800 or so for going on this route including Rs.120 or so on NICE road and Rs.250 for Goa entry (What nonsense is that??) which is not even a toll.

We had a pleasurable time in Goa as well and were extremely surprised by the roads in Goa which were impeccable throughout in the stretches we plied. Cabo de Rama, Cavelossim, Varca, Mobor, Benaulim, Betaul and Colva were the beaches we went to, all of them were accessible with my car except Betaul. Vehicles in Goa as well give way even though we never wanted to pass them. This was all too strange for us.

On our return we took the Karwar route. This route is quite scenic, especially the bay you pass when you get out of Goa and also Karwar beach. We also stopped at Galgibaga beach which was a slight detour. No people, just the fierce beach and a red flag. Karwar to Yellapur was filled with trucks carrying those long windmill blades. There were at least 15 of them which made overtaking a bit cumbersome in the ghats. The traffic was also high in this stretch but the Octi scorched and let them all behind. The winding roads were a pleasure in the Anmod section and also this section between Karwar and Yellapur.

Between Yellapur and Bankapur, its a pure unadulterated forest with about 5 villages or so in between. I am not talking your Bandipur, Nagarhole kind of reserves with very nice two-way roads but thick woods with a single-lane road for about 30kms. There was no network as well which was bit scary. Thankfully, there was zero cars in this stretch and road did not have a single pothole. The car was simply gliding at about 80kmph. It was absolutely beautiful though with woods so thick, the sun can't get through in most stretches. It felt like 6PM even at 2PM. Trouble did come in the way of villagers stopping our car and demanding Ganesha collection at 3 places . We thought we were done for, until we noticed that receipt booklets.

The toll on the return was less than Rs.500 due to Goa exit not being charged and a couple of tolls being skipped as well due to the Karwar route. We stopped at Karwar at the very famous Swetha Lunch Home (featured on NDTV's HOMP). It was tiny place with delectable seafood. Prawn masala and Kingfish meal are excellent options. In Goa, if you are around Colva, do try Johncy's for dinner and Pedro's for breakfast. Both are right on the beach. OK, I think that is enough information. Hope its helpful to you guys. Have fun!

Here are some pics from our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20160826_1207582.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20160827_1610212.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20160827_1738442.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-14199657_10153774877586752_4248213644976840611_n.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20160827_1110542.jpg  

phreakv6 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:05   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Trouble did come in the way of villagers stopping our car and demanding Ganesha collection at 3 places . We thought we were done for, until we noticed that receipt booklets.
I dont know if its a regular thing ,but i also faced similar issue the only time that i took the Bankapur - Yellapur route. It was during Holi festival, and i was stopped at no less than 6 places on the entire route. I was allowed to pass only when i contributed some money. There was another vehicle in front, i guess that person refused to pay and i noticed a small boy trying to scratch the car with a stone.
I thought it wise to pay 10rs rather than get the car damaged. Perhaps this is a shorter route, but don't feel comfortable at all driving through this almost deserted stretch, with no mobile network etc.
Maybe i was unlucky to face this incident, and many would have traveled without any issue, but just wanted to share nonetheless.
gautamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 21:25   #3607
BHPian

Starting tomorrow to Goa. Maharashtra Wagon R, do wave/flash lights if you see us. Look forward to saying hi and if anybody staying at Park Hyatt, im sure we will cross each other.

And, thank you for the inputs in last 2 pages, it helped without even asking
KD007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 17:21   #3608
BHPian

Guys,
Anyone traveling from Bangalore to Goa on 10th Sep'16? Will be starting early by around 4am from Sarjapur. Do let me know, we can form a group.
Old 6th September 2016, 20:00   #3609
BHPian

Hi Guys
I will be driving with my family to Goa via Hubli/Dharwad, Anmod & Goa. Please let me know the condition of the road between Dharwad, Anmod and Goa as I am driving with small kids. I would love to hear from anyone who is also traveling to Goa around the 4th of October and returning on the 8th of October so we could form a group and travel together.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Fellow BHPian
Old 11th September 2016, 22:59   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harendra View Post
Hi Guys
I will be driving with my family to Goa via Hubli/Dharwad, Anmod & Goa. Please let me know the condition of the road between Dharwad, Anmod and Goa as I am driving with small kids. I would love to hear from anyone who is also traveling to Goa around the 4th of October and returning on the 8th of October so we could form a group and travel together.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Fellow BHPian
Just came back from a week long trip to Goa, to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi at home. The road from Dharwad-Anmod is very good, though there are some rough patches along the ghat section, no big potholes as such but the tarmac has got worn off at some places due to the monsoon. However nothing too serious and you could ofcourse take this route.
gautamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 12:02   #3611
BHPian

I'll be driving to South Goa next weekend and after going through other posts planning to take the following route. This is exactly the same route taken by
Quote:
I am going to be driving to Goa this weekend too. This is the route I have chosen based on the knowledge shared on this thread. I am planning to take Bangalore -> Hubbali -> Dharwad -> Anmod -> Varca, Goa while going and Goa -> Karwar -> Ankola -> Yellapur -> Bankapur -> Bangalore on the way back. Does this sound doable? I will be driving in an Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Onwards to Goa : Bangalore - Hubbali - Dharwad(NH-48) - Anmod (SH-34, NH 748) - Canacona (SH-7, NH-66). This is about 630 kms.

Return to Bangalore : Canacona - Karwar - Ankola (NH-66) - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur (NH-52, SH-6) - Ranebennur - Bangalore (NH-48). This is about 590 kms.

Though the onward drive is 40 kms longer, this is the first time I'll be driving to Goa and that too with a child and given the food options en-route planning to take this route.

I'll be driving an Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Does anyone have any other recommendation?

Last edited by vikramk : 17th September 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Missed the last sentence
Old 17th September 2016, 14:06   #3612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post

Onwards to Goa : Bangalore - Hubbali - Dharwad(NH-48) - Anmod (SH-34, NH 748) - Canacona (SH-7, NH-66). This is about 630 kms.

Return to Bangalore : Canacona - Karwar - Ankola (NH-66) - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur (NH-52, SH-6) - Ranebennur - Bangalore (NH-48). This is about 590 kms.
This was a good route and the trip was enjoyable for us. Just be careful in the Yellapur -> Mundgod stretch. Extremely beautiful but very narrow road and lot of villagers will jump in and demand toll/hafta. Just keep Rs.10 notes ready so that you don't lose out a big one.
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 15:35   #3613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but very narrow road and lot of villagers will jump in and demand toll/hafta. Just keep Rs.10 notes ready so that you don't lose out a big one.
I guess that would have stopped now.

Its a common occurance in AP & KA village roads during Ganesh Chaturdi time.
Old 22nd September 2016, 13:41   #3614
BHPian

I'll be driving from B'lore to Panjim in a couple of weeks with my family. We plan to leave from HSR layout ~4am and would like to reach Panjim by 5pm (max) with short breaks for breakfast, lunch, tea, & loo breaks.

Google maps suggests this route: Bangalore - nh48 - Dharwad - sh34 - Ramnagar - nh748 - Anmod/Mollem/Ponda/Panjim.

- Is there a better route? This would be my first road trip to Goa. So I'm looking for a smooth/fast drive even if it means a longer route.

- Does NH48 bypass the Hubli & Dharwad towns?

- What places would you recommend for breakfast, lunch, and loo-break stops?
Old 22nd September 2016, 13:55   #3615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post
Google maps suggests this route: Bangalore - nh48 - Dharwad - sh34 - Ramnagar - nh748 - Anmod/Mollem/Ponda/Panjim.
Yes that is the shortest. But since you are intending to reach Panjim, you can also do take the Chorla route:

Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa - Panjim

Quote:
- Is there a better route? This would be my first road trip to Goa. So I'm looking for a smooth/fast drive even if it means a longer route.
The route via Ramnagar and Anmod will be good. Stick to that as it has less twisties compared to Chorla route, is wider too.

Quote:
- Does NH48 bypass the Hubli & Dharwad towns?
Yes it does.

Quote:
- What places would you recommend for breakfast, lunch, and loo-break stops?
Breakfast options:

Cafe Coffee Days enroute:

Last edited by bblost : 22nd September 2016 at 14:51. Reason: as requested
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks