Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 10:24   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
But, my over dependence on Google Maps bit me hard, it took me off the Sirsi-Haveri road onto Tilvalli-Kod-Halageri route and eventually onto the NH48 at Ranebennur. Although the roads were absolutely fine until I reached NH, I lost quite a bit of time because the Tilvalli-Halageri is a single lane road going through a lot of villages.
How is the ghat section on the Kumta-Sirsi road? I had taken this devimane ghat a decade ago and it was in OK state that time. Post Sirsi to Haveri the road is not so great with pot holes all the way. But I do not have any updates.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:56   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
How is the ghat section on the Kumta-Sirsi road? I had taken this devimane ghat a decade ago and it was in OK state that time. Post Sirsi to Haveri the road is not so great with pot holes all the way. But I do not have any updates.
Oh it was beautiful, roads are very well laid out and with the vegetation surrounding you, we got a sense of driving in Malaysia.

Sirsi-Katrikoppa, roads were very good. Unfortunately, this was where i had my ordeal with Google Maps so I cannot comment on the route beyond Katrikoppa till Haveri. But I am suspecting it is in good shape.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 13:02   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Oh it was beautiful, roads are very well laid out and with the vegetation surrounding you, we got a sense of driving in Malaysia.
Great. I will take the Bankapur Mundgod Yellapur road while going and Kumta Sirsi Haveri while returning. I have never taken the former and want to give it a try.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:01   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Great. I will take the Bankapur Mundgod Yellapur road while going and Kumta Sirsi Haveri while returning. I have never taken the former and want to give it a try.
Please avoid this Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur route - unless:

1. You have an SUV and ready to drive on very narrow roads, broken roads, villages all while feeling lonely and lost.
2. Your expectations are very low and your mind strong enough to face the innumerable irritants that will be presented to you.
3. You want to have an adventure and you are asking for it.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:05   #4355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Please avoid this Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur route - unless:

1. You have an SUV and ready to drive on very narrow roads, broken roads, villages all while feeling lonely and lost.
2. Your expectations are very low and your mind strong enough to face the innumerable irritants that will be presented to you.
3. You want to have an adventure and you are asking for it.

Let me know how it goes.
Could you please be more specific about these points?

I have Ertiga and I assume point 1 is fixed and not worried much about loneliness etc. Not sure what you mean by points 2 and 3. I smell some trouble on this route after reading through your post. I will be with my wife and daughter and if there is any such thing, I do not want to try this route atleast when they are with me.
Old 4th April 2019, 09:58   #4356
BHPian

Quote:
I have used the Bankapur -> Yellapur route multiple times over the last few years, and would like to mention the following points:
1. It is a single road with very little traffic. So not advisable after dark especially with family

2. The road condition has been generally good throughout (Not sure about the exact condition now)

3. No suitable options for breaks along this stretch
4. The drive is mostly through the forest region with a few villages and a monastery on the way, which I personally enjoyed.

So, if the about points suit you, I think you can go for it.

Rahulb22

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2019 at 17:34. Reason: Spacing
rahulb22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:17   #4357
Senior - BHPian

I have used the Bankapur -> Yellapur route multiple times over the last few years in my punto / duster as recent as November 2018.

1) it is absolutely safe during the day time.
2)Roads are narrow but in very good condition .
3) there are almost no eateries / shops on the way .
4)goes through jungles , villages and there is a monastery on the way.
5) 1 option for a break is a decent resturant called shanbhag near yellapur , it has a petrol bunk attached , comes about 1.5 hours from bunkapur toll.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...9!4d74.7028534
ms001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 11:26   #4358
BHPian

Quote:

I have Ertiga and I assume point 1 is fixed and not worried much about loneliness etc. Not sure what you mean by points 2 and 3. I smell some trouble on this route after reading through your post. I will be with my wife and daughter and if there is any such thing, I do not want to try this route at-least when they are with me.
Thanks for noticing my post! I will mention my experience to help you understand the road conditions, so that you can make your own decisions.

Disclaimers:
- Strictly my findings/opinions only. Others mileage may vary.
- To each their own. :-).

- I took this route in reverse: Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur on Dec 27th 2018, while returning from Varca, Goa. Passengers: W+2d.

- I took this route because I have a low GC City, and Hubli-Kalghatghi stretch has white topping going on in sections. The road edges going 1 ft (or more) below. The bigger vehicles tend to push you off these edges without mercy, as only one lane is open.

- The route was pleasant for a few kilometers from Yellapur, but I could sense the impending uneasiness. The roads started getting narrower and narrower and became wide enough to fit only 1 or 3/4 of a big vehicle. Started wondering what to do when the inevitable face off happens with a vehicle from the other side. It becomes a battle of will and nerve about who can take the damage either by staying put, or getting pushed off into stony side edges. After several close calls, I started to stop the vehicle and let other to pass - depending on how the other driver decides - either rub against you or go off road. Big vehicle guys have no mercy (read bigger than yours).

- Road was lonely and isolated. If something happens, I am really not sure how would you start addressing the issue. I certainly felt helpless. Not a good feeling. Its natural that we feel invincible when we are in city, but the truth is we will feel vulnerable once are removed out of our normal surroundings.

- Extremely annoying and irritating road humps and potholes started appearing out of nowhere, with villagers and animals putting more impediments. I did not feel safe with village youth roaming freely on bikes with impunity. Its all cowboy territory. Coupled with narrow roads, my cup of misery was complete and cursed myself for taking this road and decided to help out anyone taking this road about the nature of things, so that they can set expectations.

- Somehow I reached the tibetian territory, where they have dug up roads on the already narrow roads. I cleared a KSRTC bus with millimeters to spare. Not to speak about the dusty road here.

- Roads became sufficiently wide after reaching Mundgod, and certain sections are a downright pleasure to deal with.

- After entering Bankapur, there is no well defined entry into the NH. It leaves a very bad taste in mouth looking at the conditions of the village/town and the madness of highway dept where they can not even ensure some decent entry/exit in and out of towns.

- I did not save any time, but all I was left with was regret and not so good memories - the last thing I wanted after taking a vacation.

Always stay in known highways, especially when you are with family. If you are traveling alone, I will recommend this route - as long as construction is still going on near Kalghatghi.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th April 2019 at 14:28. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:49   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Always stay in known highways, especially when you are with family. If you are traveling alone, I will recommend this route - as long as construction is still going on near Kalghatghi.
Perfect. This gives me full information. Will try the Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Karwar route. This will prevent some 8KM drive on NH-4 and take a left at Haveri towards Sirsi. May be next time I visit Goa (with friends) I will try the Bankapura road. Just do not want to take known risks atleast during this trip.
Old 4th April 2019, 17:52   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect. This gives me full information. Will try the Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Karwar route. This will prevent some 8KM drive on NH-4 and take a left at Haveri towards Sirsi. May be next time I visit Goa (with friends) I will try the Bankapura road. Just do not want to take known risks atleast during this trip.
If you are not very particular about driving, I suggest you to fly. For now, its the most convenient way to reach Goa.
Old 7th April 2019, 11:14   #4361
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for noticing my post! I will mention my experience to help you understand the road conditions, so that you can make your own decisions.
I completely agree with bsdbsd and would like to add, that i faced a similar experience when the only time i traveled on this road. Very narrow roads and deep shoulders and unexpected potholes / speed breakers along the way. It was the Holi festival day, when i drove on this route ( Bangalore-Bankapur-Mundagod-Yellapur), and i was stopped every 10-20kms, by the local youth, armed with sticks and stones, and asking for money. I had to oblige them, fearing they could do damage to the car or cause any other issue to me and family. I finally heaved a sigh of relief after reaching Yellapur . I vowed never to drive on this road ever again !!

The road via Ramnagar -Anmod has been my regular route for travelling between Bangalore-Goa, but now due to the closure of this route for road widening, i use Bangalore-Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route. Yes, there are a lot of diversions between Bankapur-Hubli stretch on NH-4, and also white topping activity between Hulbi-Kalaghatgi , but in my opinion, this is a safer route . Others may disagree for sure, but it is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2019 at 17:33. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
gautamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:23   #4362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
It was the Holi festival day, when i drove on this route ( Bangalore-Bankapur-Mundagod-Yellapur), and i was stopped every 10-20kms, by the local youth, armed with sticks and stones, and asking for money. I had to oblige them, fearing they could do damage to the car or cause any other issue to me and family.
May be their modus operandi is changed these days. I have faced similar incident on other routes in KA. They were holding a rope across the road to force you stop. If I remember correctly this was on the way to Hampi from Hospet. It was Ganesh Chaturthi time and local youths were in full action with cricket bats and sticks. I paid at first place assuming that was like some contribution for the festival but it started repeating every now and then. I simply refused in other places and they did not argue or stopped me. But in your case this seems dangerous. May be they have realized that forcing you pay is easier than requesting . Since you in middle of nowhere and if they do any damage, you are left with annoyance only. Right decision.

Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Goa seems to be worth trying route since Google-wise is shows only 7-8KMs more compared to Bankapaura route. And yes until the repairs on NH-4/48 get over, you will avoid some 8KM highway post Haveri by turning left towards Sirsi.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2019 at 17:33. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 10th April 2019, 16:58   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
I completely agree with bsdbsd and would like to add, that i faced a similar experience when the only time i traveled on this road. Very narrow roads and deep shoulders and unexpected potholes / speed breakers along the way. It was the Holi festival day, when i drove on this route ( Bangalore-Bankapur-Mundagod-Yellapur), and i was stopped every 10-20kms, by the local youth, armed with sticks and stones, and asking for money. I had to oblige them, fearing they could do damage to the car or cause any other issue to me and family. I finally heaved a sigh of relief after reaching Yellapur . I vowed never to drive on this road ever again !!
The road via Ramnagar -Anmod has been my regular route for travelling between Bangalore-Goa, but now due to the closure of this route for road widening, i use Bangalore-Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar route. Yes, there are a lot of diversions between Bankapur-Hubli stretch on NH-4, and also white topping activity between Hulbi-Kalaghatgi , but in my opinion, this is a safer route . Others may disagree for sure, but it is just my personal opinion.
I'm driving to South Goa on April 29. In the past 3 trips, I've mostly followed the Dharwad-Chorla route, relying on Google Maps. Right now Google Maps recommends the Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura Road to Ankola. After reading the recent posts on this thread, I'm planning to avoid this. What are the options?
Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola? OR,
Kalghatgi ->Yellapura (30km longer than Bankapura-Mundgod route)? OR,
Dharwad - Tinai - Anmod - Mollem?

Would the white topping between Bankapura and Kalghatgi have been finished by now? I have a couple of elderly people with me, and would prefer a safe route with a decent surface, over shorter time and distance.
Old 16th April 2019, 16:25   #4364
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just back from 3 day trip to Agonda(South Goa).
Used the Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola route.
Onward: Started at 4 AM and reached the destination at 1:00PM. Had two breaks of 30 min each.

Return: Started at 11:00 AM and reached home at 9:30PM. Followed the same route but on return, it somehow goes into the towns of Sirsi and Harihar. Found that weird. Had similar 2 breaks - 40 min and 20 min.

Road condition is OK between Haveri and Kumta bypass. Some good freshly laid stretches, some rough roads and some broken potholed stretches.
Old 17th April 2019, 15:46   #4365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Just back from 3 day trip to Agonda(South Goa).
Used the Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola route.
Onward: Started at 4 AM and reached the destination at 1:00PM. Had two breaks of 30 min each.

Return: Started at 11:00 AM and reached home at 9:30PM. Followed the same route but on return, it somehow goes into the towns of Sirsi and Harihar. Found that weird. Had similar 2 breaks - 40 min and 20 min.

Road condition is OK between Haveri and Kumta bypass. Some good freshly laid stretches, some rough roads and some broken potholed stretches.
thanks for the update. You did the distance in good time. Any reason why you avoided - both ways - the Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura route that Google Maps still recommends? I'm driving out in a couple of weeks to South Goa. So any advice is appreciated.

Most Viewed