Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 14:43   #4441
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,576
Thanked: 22,043 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just read on ToI (1440 IST) that many cars are stuck on the Belgaum-Gpa route because of landslides at Chorla.

Please keep a very close eye on your route vis-a-vis updates!
True! Overall, traveling anywhere towards the coast crossing the ghats is a bad idea at least for another one week.

Rains haven't receded and things are only getting worse, even for GQ connecting Bangalore and Pune.

Here's the of the landslide at Chorla Ghats.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 15:30   #4442
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I am travelling to south Goa (Benaulim) during the following week. I am apprehensive of the weather, but was hoping I should be able to manage via Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur. After Yellapur, most people suggest passing through Ankola before heading towards Goa. There is however a diversion at Idgundi towards Kaiga falls, which appears to be shorter. Do any of you have experience of driving on this stretch? This route effectively avoids a drive through Ankola.
Sojourner is offline  
Old 6th August 2019, 16:42   #4443
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,466
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just read on ToI (1440 IST) that many cars are stuck on the Belgaum-Gpa route because of landslides at Chorla.

Please keep a very close eye on your route vis-a-vis updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
True! Overall, traveling anywhere towards the coast crossing the ghats is a bad idea at least for another one week.

Rains haven't receded and things are only getting worse, even for GQ connecting Bangalore and Pune.
Thanks alot. Doesn't look so good, hoping the rains will subside and road should get better
rajshenoy is offline  
Old 6th August 2019, 20:58   #4444
BHPian
 
meetbadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I am travelling to south Goa (Benaulim) during the following week. I am apprehensive of the weather, but was hoping I should be able to manage via Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapur. After Yellapur, most people suggest passing through Ankola before heading towards Goa. There is however a diversion at Idgundi towards Kaiga falls, which appears to be shorter. Do any of you have experience of driving on this stretch? This route effectively avoids a drive through Ankola.
Almost all the rivers across Uttara Kannada are in full flow and almost all the rivers are overflowing above the bridges. I would suggest you to postpone your travel if possible until rain stops.
meetbadri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 21:21   #4445
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Goa/Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Cross posting Vivek95's post from "Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries" Please take note those planning for Chorla ghat route.

Quote "The below video on fb shows the scary situation at Amboli waterfalls. Avoid driving Mumbai--Pune--Amboli--Goa. There has already been landslide at Chorla ghat, so avoid taking Belgaum--Chorla route as well. And first of all, NH4 Pune--Kolhapur--Belgaum itself is blocked at many places due to heavy rains and overflowing rivers on the highway.

https://www.facebook.com/14643754736...2679836144356/"

Last edited by diogo : 6th August 2019 at 21:22.
diogo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:01   #4446
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Cross posting Vivek95's post from "Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries" Please take note those planning for Chorla ghat route.

Quote "The below video on fb shows the scary situation at Amboli waterfalls. Avoid driving Mumbai--Pune--Amboli--Goa. There has already been landslide at Chorla ghat, so avoid taking Belgaum--Chorla route as well. And first of all, NH4 Pune--Kolhapur--Belgaum itself is blocked at many places due to heavy rains and overflowing rivers on the highway.

https://www.facebook.com/14643754736...2679836144356/"
I think only Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola is the safer route IMO. Long and under construction all the way till Hubli, may not give a smooth ride. So in short travel when you must in this monsoon towards Goa
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:40   #4447
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 738
Thanked: 775 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I think only Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola is the safer route IMO. Long and under construction all the way till Hubli, may not give a smooth ride. So in short travel when you must in this monsoon towards Goa
Hubli - Yellapur and Yellapur - Ankola closed as of today.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:50   #4448
BHPian
 
vivek95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 564
Thanked: 3,945 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Actually, why should anyone even considering driving towards Belgaum, Kolhapur, Pune, Mumbai and Goa for now or the next one week !!!! The routes that are operational currently might get closed anytime, given the heavy rains, floods and landslides.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:34   #4449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Source not verified, but good to be aware of the below info.

Here is a full list of the roads closed in northern Karnataka:

Hubbali: Yellapur-Ankola, Hubballi-Yellapur;
Belagavi: Belagavi-Panjim, Jamkandi-Vijayapur, Belagavi-Gokak, Belagavi-Vengurla;
Chikkodi: Kagwad-Miraj, Chikkodi-Ichalkaranji, Nippani-Kolhapur, Gokak-Vijayapur, Nippani-Gadinglaj, Nippani-Hupri, Athani-Kudchi;
Bagalkot: Jamkandi-Savalagi, Jamakandi-Guddapur, Chikkapadsalgi barrage, Kudachi barrage.
ro3hit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:50   #4450
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BLR
Posts: 356
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Been doing some google search and talking to friends since I have a trip upcoming. For now the bulk of the roads towards Goa & Pune are closed and the recommendation is to avoid any route up north from Bangalore for now. Some details people might find useful

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/k...ng-752357.html
Quote:
Downpour also led in flooding of the old city and extension areas of Belagavi city and water clogging preventing movement of people outside the houses.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le28839381.ece
Quote:
Traffic between Goa and North Karnataka has also been cut-off after a landslip in Chorla Ghat and flooding of the road near Chandagad in Kolhapur district. The other main road that passes through Ramnagar and Anmod has been closed for widening for over six months. The roads left for emergency travel are jungle roads passing through villages like Joida, Diggi and Tilari.

The road passing through Amboli and Savantwadi was closed by Tuesday after flooding in Chandagad village. The Karnataka State Disaster Monitoring Cell officials have said that rain may subside by August 8
https://www.deccanherald.com/liveblo...rk-752367.html
Quote:
Please postpone the traveling on these routes: KSRTC Hubballi
Here is a list of the roads closed in Karnataka: Madikeri - Bhagmandal
Chikmaglur - Dharmastala(Charmadi ghat)
Yellapur-Ankola,
Hubballi-Yellapur;
Belagavi-Panjim(Chorla ghat)
Belgaum - Phonda(Via Khanapur - Halsi),
Mundgod - Sirsi (Malgi),
Sirsi - Kumta(Via Katgal),
Mirjan - Ankola,
Jamkandi-Vijayapur,
Belagavi-Gokak,
Belagavi-Vengurla;
Kagwad-Miraj,
Chikkodi-Ichalkaranji,
Nippani-Kolhapur,
Gokak-Vijayapur,
Nippani-Gadinglaj,
Nippani-Hupri,
Athani-Kudchi;
Jamkandi-Savalagi,
Jamakandi-Guddapur,
Chikkapadsalgi barrage,
Kudachi barrage.
Raichur - Yadgiri
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:57   #4451
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,466
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

This news on roads closed is spreading like wildfire. For now I am putting my plan on hold and will take a call early next week. My prayers are with people suffering from floods.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 21:12   #4452
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raipur
Posts: 22
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I was planning to have a trip from Raipur to Goa this weekend (from 11th-15th Aug) by road. But looking at the scenario, I think I need to postponed the trip. Any latest info about the roads leading to Goa from Raipur??
shagils is offline  
Old 8th August 2019, 09:27   #4453
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 22
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
So does it mean there is no way to go from Bangalore to Goa via road ?
I thought the Chorla ghat section where the landslide happened was restored for traffic! Also, are light vehicles still being allowed on the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat section! Google maps is still showing that as a route to Goa from Bangalore. Any advise from the locals would be highly appreciated.

Plan to travel on 9th Aug. Thanks!

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2019 at 09:31.
San_Khanna is offline  
Old 8th August 2019, 11:53   #4454
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagils View Post
I was planning to have a trip from Raipur to Goa this weekend (from 11th-15th Aug) by road. But looking at the scenario, I think I need to postponed the trip. Any latest info about the roads leading to Goa from Raipur??
I would suggest to postpone your trip. Probably you have to drive through Belgaum and all entry/exit points at Belgaum are closed. Above all there is scarcity of essential basics such as vegetable/milk within Goa. Goa is totally cut off from rest of the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Khanna View Post
So does it mean there is no way to go from Bangalore to Goa via road ?
Yes Sir. You read it right. As of now there is no way to come to Goa from Bangalore.

Quote:
I thought the Chorla ghat section where the landslide happened was restored for traffic!
Chorla ghat was the only route open from traffic but it also stands closed as of today. Detail here.

Quote:
Also, are light vehicles still being allowed on the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat section!
Light Motor vehicles are not allowed on this Ghat section. The stretch near Anmod check post is still incomplete for someone to travel to Belgaum through Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary. Anmod-Ramnagar road towards Ramnagar is still incomplete to drive towards Hubli.

Quote:
Plan to travel on 9th Aug. Thanks!
Please plan for lateral date.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 23:01   #4455
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 77
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Looking at the discussions, it doesn't seem wise to travel to Goa over this weekend.

Any guess on how things might shape up during next week, planning to travel on 14th August during the Independence day holidays to benaulim. Hopefully roads will open up if rain subsides for couple of days.

Any other alternatives apart from belgaum? How about road via sirsi- gokarna-karwar-benaulim?
Suryendu87 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks