Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 06:22   #4486
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong about Airavat's usual route.
I traveled in KSRTC airavat a month ago, and it took the Ankola-Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur route. However earlier they used to take Yellapur-Kalghatgi -Hubli route too.
There were reports that NH63 was flooded at places between Yellapur - Ankola stretch, and also yellapur- Mundgod route too. See below.

gautamal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:26   #4487
Senior - BHPian

I am postponing my trip. Read that rains are expected to increase later this week and might worsen the already battered roads.
Old 14th August 2019, 18:58   #4488
BHPian

Friends who are traveling to Goa for long weekend please be safe and do drop a message on this thread in case you require any assistance within Goa.

I shall try what is best in my capacity to ensure you have trouble free vacation.

A word of caution, it is raining nonstop in most parts of Goa since this afternoon. Enjoy cool breeze or heavy rains but at any cost do not venture into sea.

Happy Touring.
Ertigiat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 19:13   #4489

Reached back Bangalore today eve. Took route: Goa - Chorla Ghats - Belgaum - Dharwad - Hubli - B’lore.
Chorla Ghat Road was open. However road from Khanapur is closed. So anyone planning for goa can enter via Belgaum to chorla.
San_Khanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 21:36   #4490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San_Khanna View Post
Reached back Bangalore today eve. Took route: Goa - Chorla Ghats - Belgaum - Dharwad - Hubli - B’lore.
Chorla Ghat Road was open. However road from Khanapur is closed. So anyone planning for goa can enter via Belgaum to chorla.
Hey, thanks a lot. What is the condition of Chorla ghat? And what was the traffic density? Usual or less?
I'm now confused between choosing the Sirsi-Kumta route and Chorla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Friends who are traveling to Goa for long weekend please be safe and do drop a message on this thread in case you require any assistance within Goa.

I shall try what is best in my capacity to ensure you have trouble free vacation.

A word of caution, it is raining nonstop in most parts of Goa since this afternoon. Enjoy cool breeze or heavy rains but at any cost do not venture into sea.

Happy Touring.
Thank you, mate. We'll be staying in a resort at Dona Paula. Any risk of flooding in parts of Panjim, and surroundings?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th August 2019 at 06:45. Reason: Back to back posts
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 22:27   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, mate. We'll be staying in a resort at Dona Paula. Any risk of flooding in parts of Panjim, and surroundings?
Some parts of Panjim are prone to flooding. But you being at Dona Paula it should not be a cause of concern.

You can avoid getting into city by taking little longer Dona Paula - Goa university - Bambolim - North Goa route.

In case you want to drive towards South Goa, above one will be default route.

P. S.- Try and avoid back to back posting.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 14th August 2019 at 22:32.
Ertigiat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:06   #4492
BHPian

Took the below route today morning.

Bangalore - Kunigal - Yadiyur - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Bhadravati - Ayanur - Yadehalli - Sagar - Honnavar - Kumta - Karwar - Benaulim

Roads are good for most of the parts except around karwar where road construction is going on.

Took a detour(35-40 kilometers round trip) to Jog falls post Sagar and it was worth the time spent.
Suryendu87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:50   #4493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Some parts of Panjim are prone to flooding. But you being at Dona Paula it should not be a cause of concern.

You can avoid getting into city by taking little longer Dona Paula - Goa university - Bambolim - North Goa route.
P. S.- Try and avoid back to back posting.
Thanks for this alternate route. Used to always go via Panjim city to get to Dona Paula. This is very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Took the below route today morning.

Bangalore - Kunigal - Yadiyur - Channarayapatna - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Bhadravati - Ayanur - Yadehalli - Sagar - Honnavar - Kumta - Karwar - Benaulim

Roads are good for most of the parts except around karwar where road construction is going on.

Took a detour(35-40 kilometers round trip) to Jog falls post Sagar and it was worth the time spent.
Thanks a lot for the update. How much time did it take for you to reach Goa?

I'll be starting tomorrow around 5-6am. Still unsure about which route to take. Very tempted to take Chorla, but if the road condition is bad, would not be very advantageous to choose it over the other routes.
Old 15th August 2019, 00:23   #4494
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks crossing NH66 from North to South Goa & vice versa using the Zuari Bridge (https://goo.gl/maps/CPgHNpJwMfBcZQ8N7):

Please be careful on the bridge itself and the approaches on both sides. Some parts of the sections are in terrible shape plus can suffer from terrible traffic jams if any vehicle breaks down on the narrow sections.

Keep your cool and do NOT break traffic rules and block oncoming traffic by forming multiple lanes. The locals are generally law-abiding and keep to their lanes, BUT take strong exception to non-Goa vehicles behaving as if they can break rules with impunity.

Please give way to the numerous ambulances and don't tailgate them. Be in a 'susegad' mood and not in a BLR ORR/Silk Board/Dairy Circle one :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th August 2019 at 00:24.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 01:07   #4495
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this alternate route. Used to always go via Panjim city to get to Dona Paula. This is very useful.

Thanks a lot for the update. How much time did it take for you to reach Goa?

I'll be starting tomorrow around 5-6am. Still unsure about which route to take. Very tempted to take Chorla, but if the road condition is bad, would not be very advantageous to choose it over the other routes.
For me as well the earlier route was via Panjim. But this one seems more scenic and you have the added option of visiting Jog Falls during it's peak if you are ok with 2-3 hours delay in reaching Goa.

I started around 5.30AM from Marathalli. Reached my accommodation at benaulim by 8.30PM. This included a 2.5-3 hours break from the usual route to visit Jog Falls. The total distance covered is 653 kilometers.
Suryendu87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 05:56   #4496

Quote:
Hey, thanks a lot. What is the condition of Chorla ghat? And what was the traffic density? Usual or less?
I'm now confused between choosing the Sirsi-Kumta route and Chorla.
I left really early morning, so traffic was less. The road condition on the ghats is slightly bad on the goa side. But then you will easily save around 2 hours compared to sirsi -kumta.
San_Khanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:57   #4497
BHPian

Planning to ride to Palolem, South Goa next week. Was thinking of the Bangalore-Davangere-Bankapur-Yellapur-Karwar-Palolem... Any updates on the after effects of the flooding in that area ? The google map does show some blockages in the route.

Please advice and suggest.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:35   #4498
BHPian

Drove to Panjim on the 15th. Apologies for the late update, had some network issues at the hotel.

Took BLR - Belgaum - Chorla - Panjim route. It's open and all kind of traffic is allowed including heavy vehicles. Didn't spot any buses though.

It took us 12hrs with breaks to reach our hotel in Dona Paula. Started at 6am, reached hotel at 6pm.

NH4 has a lot of diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli which slow you down a lot. Cost us around 30mins of travel time approx. Road from Belgaum to Chorla was open on the 15th (should still be, it hasn't rained that much also in the last 2 days). There still are barricades with "road closed" signages at points, which haven't been removed. You can ask locals for clarity just in case.

Belgaum - Chorla is excellent tarmac as usual. One of the best roads to drive. Road has caved in , in some places, barricades have been placed, so be advised.

The road shoulder has been dug up in some places, after Jamboti, making the road narrower than it already is, as you don't have room to go off the road - still enough room and more for 2 vehicles to pass, just not enough for emergency manouevres.

The ghat itself has sustained some damage owing to the rains. Lots of potholes, but easily motorable. It was raining heavily, on our drive and it was a sight to behold. Waterfalls gushing down every few 100 meterss, water flowing onto the road and fog made it some experience!

Around 30-40kms from the Goa border at the start of the Ghat, is in bad condition, after that it's good all the way to Panaji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Planning to ride to Palolem, South Goa next week. Was thinking of the Bangalore-Davangere-Bankapur-Yellapur-Karwar-Palolem... Any updates on the after effects of the flooding in that area ? The google map does show some blockages in the route.

Please advice and suggest.
I think the Yellapur route is still closed. Not sure though. Buses from Goa to Blr are taking the Sirsi Kumta route.

Alternatively, you can take the Sagar - Honnavar - Karwar - route.

I can't comment on the road conditions of these though, as I haven't traveled via these recently.

I would've suggested Chorla but it'll be way too much of a detour since you've to go to South Goa.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th August 2019 at 11:42. Reason: Spacing
Rohan24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 12:12   #4499
BHPian

Quote:

I think the Yellapur route is still closed. Not sure though. Buses from Goa to Blr are taking the Sirsi Kumta route.

Alternatively, you can take the Sagar - Honnavar - Karwar - route.

I can't comment on the road conditions of these though, as I haven't traveled via these recently.

I would've suggested Chorla but it'll be way too much of a detour since you've to go to South Goa.
I have also heard from other sources that Yellapur road is closed. but again not 100% sure. But looks like I will take the Honnavar road.. was planning to come by that route. But will wait till Thursday night to decide.
Old 17th August 2019, 12:18   #4500
BHPian

We are planning to visit Goa on 23rd of this month. What would be the best route in terms of road quality? It doesn't matter if its slightly longer, but we are keen on wider and good tarmac roads. At-least two of us will be driving by taking turns, so fatigue or time is not an constraint. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks