Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2019, 20:11   #4546
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Visiting Benaulim this month end. Given the conditions of Anmod ghat, planning to go via Karwar. How are the road conditions of :

Bangalore - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Karwar - Benaulim.

Or should I stick to the Shimoga route in view on the ongoing road work on the above stretch ?
I travelled to Benaulim on 30th Aug and had intended to take the same route. However, there were a couple of broken roads because of which I had to take a different route.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-20190923-19_50_56timeline.png

Point 1 is near Sanavalli, before Mundgod. Below is the pic of the location.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190830_113007.jpg

This I could cross it. And I'm assuming, it's in much better shape right now.

Point 2 is a place called Shidlagundi Bridge between Mundgod and Yellapur. You can see the pic below.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20190830_121656.jpg

This was completely broken. So we had to return back from there and then go through Kalaghatgi and then Anmod Ghat (was in bad shape).

While returning from Goa, took a longer route. Went to Chorla Ghats, Kittur and then the Pune - Bangalore Highway. No surprises on that route.

Last edited by BikerSuz : 23rd September 2019 at 20:36.
BikerSuz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 21:05   #4547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSuz View Post
I travelled to Benaulim on 30th Aug and had intended to take the same route. However, there were a couple of broken roads because of which I had to take a different route.
Need to visit south Goa soon. Planning to stick to the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route. Though longer, it will take me to Goa with peace of mind since travelling with elderly people.
Old 24th September 2019, 18:02   #4548
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Goa (Calangute) this weekend from Bangalore. Planned for a halt at Hubli / Dharwad overnight and proceed from there. What is the best route now from Dharwad to Panaji / Calangute. Should I drive via Belgaum or change my plans and travel via Shimoga?

TIA
Old 24th September 2019, 18:44   #4549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
I am planning to travel to Goa (Calangute) this weekend from Bangalore. Planned for a halt at Hubli / Dharwad overnight and proceed from there. What is the best route now from Dharwad to Panaji / Calangute. Should I drive via Belgaum or change my plans and travel via Shimoga?

TIA
You can go via Belgaum. It is good and scenic route.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 11:30   #4550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Need to visit south Goa soon. Planning to stick to the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route. Though longer, it will take me to Goa with peace of mind since travelling with elderly people.
How are the road conditions on the Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar stretch ?
Old 25th September 2019, 12:23   #4551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet to travel but this is (or used to be?) the broadest route towards Goa from Bangalore. I assume things will be OKish if not great. For north Goa Chorla seems to be a good option.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 12:53   #4552
BHPian

Quote:

Don’t know about Hubli-Kalghatgi, but Kalgatghi-Yellapur-Karwar was in great condition on 11th Sep during my drive from Davangere via Bankapur-Tadas. Kalghatgi itself was a mess though with widening work going on.
Pequod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 06:54   #4553
BHPian

Quote:
Visiting Benaulim this month end. Given the conditions of Anmod ghat, planning to go via Karwar. How are the road conditions of :

Bangalore - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Karwar - Benaulim.

Or should I stick to the Shimoga route in view on the ongoing road work on the above stretch ?
Karwar, Ankola, Jog falls, Shimoga, Hiriyur, Bangalore route looks like will take this route for next week drive to Goa and Back
Old 27th September 2019, 15:01   #4554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Don’t know about Hubli-Kalghatgi, but Kalgatghi-Yellapur-Karwar was in great condition on 11th Sep during my drive from Davangere via Bankapur-Tadas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
At Tadas, you turn right and it will connect you to Kalaghatgi. The road is good for most parts except a few places where roads have caved in and a bridge that has been partially restored after a collapse. Driving a Crysta, it was a non issue. But a low GC car or even a loaded sedan will have it tough with scraping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
BLR to GOA - Choose tried and tested Gmaps (Bangalore - Chitradurga - Tadas (Detour from the highway after Bankapur and before Hubballi near Shiggaon) - Cross over Kalaghatgi
Dear fellow BHPians, Parag Sir, Ertigiat, other Goa frequenters,

I have to start for Cavelossim tomorrow morning, and with Anmod route being closed(entirely now from 18th sept as per an update earlier) and Chorla route doesn't makes sense for southern destination like Cavelossim, is Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona-Cavelossim the clear choice? Please advice?

From recent updates on this thread, Kalaghatgi-Yellapur-Karwar seems to be in great condition, but there seems mixed reactions for Tadas route from NH4(near Shiggaon) to Kalaghatgi. For my all earlier drives to Canacona, have never taken Bankapur-Mungod-Yellapur route, but use the NH route of NH4 till Hubali and then Hubli-Kalaghatgi-Yellapur route for stress free drive with family & kids at investment of 20-30 minutes. But with widening work underway on NH4 and also perhaps on Hubli-Kalaghatgi(as per one earlier post), which will cause low average speed on NH route via Hubli too, finding it optimum to take the Tadas route to connect from NH4 to Kalghatgi.

Need advices on Shiggaon-Tadas-Kalaghatgi Vs Shiggaon-Hubli-Kalaghatgi, and advice on Tadas route's condition, while comparable average speed and time saved is what is sought for but not at expense of "bad" internal/village roads or other 'major' overhead. If the Tadas road quality is manageable or "nothing to really worry", than will take Tadas route with peace of mind and conviction, dropping the well known NH route via Hubli.

Appreciate some advice & guidance.

Last edited by Throtttle : 27th September 2019 at 15:08.
Old 27th September 2019, 16:58   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
..If the Tadas road quality is manageable or "nothing to really worry", than will take Tadas route with peace of mind and conviction, dropping the well known NH route via Hubli.
I drove from Davangere to Karwar, via Tadas-Kalghatgi-Yellapur on 11-Sep.
Between Tadas and Kalghatgi, there are 2-3 stretches of interior village roads in pretty bad condition, but manageable in my Ecosport. However, there was one point where a bridge got washed away I think and there was a makeshift arrangement by locals for vehicles to pass through, with road condition similar to Shidlagundi bridge in an earlier post. I repeat, it’s not Shidlagundi but road condition was similar. Kalghatgi was also a mess, but manageable.

My advice would be to try any alternate route, if possible. Via Shimoga-Sirsi?
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 19:15   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Dear fellow BHPians, Parag Sir, Ertigiat, other Goa frequenters,

I have to start for Cavelossim tomorrow morning,

Appreciate some advice & guidance.
To me, as per the current conditions, the options are in the order below if I have to travel again:

1. Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Sagara-Honavar-Karwar-Cavelossim. The only bad stretch in this is the pot hole ridden Chitradurga-Shimoga, more so after Channagiri. The rest are in excellent condition. There is 4 laning work once you touch the NH66 at Honavar, but is almost 70% complete. However, this might take a slightly longer travel time since you are on 2 laned roads for 50%. The added bonus is viewing the Jog Falls! Also, the Sharavathi suspension bridge is also gaining popularity as a tourist spot. (Link: https://goo.gl/maps/WgF38hNgnjG9uCBD9)

2. Bangalore-Chitradurga-Tadas-Kalaghatgi-Yellapura-Karwar-Cavelossim. The 6 lining work is a pain after Chitradurga and there are two landslide-broken sections in the Tadas-Kalaghatgi stretch. The best thing to do is make a turn towards Tadas and there is a fuel station right in the corner. (Link: https://goo.gl/maps/hKx29tuiWaebXDbx7). You can ask the locals if the stretch is drivable, and then proceed if they sound positive. Otherwise, turn back and proceed towards Hubbali.

Last edited by luvurride : 27th September 2019 at 19:16.
luvurride is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 21:32   #4557

Travelling from Bangalore to south Goa tomorrow.

Google maps suggesting taking Haveri-Sirsi-Karwar route. Is that drivable and suggested.

I had earlier taken the yellapur route to south Goa which was okish.
shivendra2111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 05:51   #4558
BHPian

Driving down from Bangalore to Goa. Left late and stopped at Hubli for the night. Took the main highway via Chitradurga - Davanagere. It took about 6 hours to Hubli, not bad considering I left at 11am, had to deal with more city traffic and the usual set of diversions after Chitradurga. 2 things to look out for are the speed breakers right before the diversions that are just plain nasty. They are difficult to see because of the condition of the road just before the diversions. Also on diversion the right before the Hubli there are 2 super tall speed breakers that ended up scrapping my Polo's underbelly even though it wasn't loaded and I crawled over it as slow as possible. Planning to take the Belgaum route to Goa. Will update on the road condition as soon as I reach.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 10:50   #4559
BHPian

Just reached. Came via Hubli - Kittur - Nangad - Chorla - Marcel - Dona Paula. Took about 4.5 hrs. The road between Kittur and Nangad has stretches of very good roads and then stretches of broken roads. Nothing too bad, apart from a couple of big pot holes. The ghats are in a bad state.
Crhysis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 19:30   #4560
BHPian

Friends: I am driving to Colva from Bangalore in a couple of days with family. Please let me know the best route options (Onward and return) as I am confused after reading that most frequent routes are either closed due to land slides or having bad stretch.
All inputs / suggestions appreciated!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks