Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 14:24   #4396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Driving to Goa in couple of weeks. (To be precise - Panaji)
After Goa, I am driving to Mangalore, So not interested to take Kumta - Ankola - Karwar from Bangalore as I will have to drive again through it enroute Mangalore. So is my next best option is via Hubli - Dharward which gmap says?
Yes, cross Dharwad on NH 44 and continue till Kittur or MK Hubli to make a left towards Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla Ghat-Sanquelim-Bicholim-Mapusa-Panaji.

A word of caution. Roads from MK Hubli or Kittur were not great when I traveled few years ago. Also Chorla traffic is high due to Anmod closure and of course the roads are narrow. Just drive safe and carefully.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd June 2019 at 12:01. Reason: Spacing
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 22:19   #4397
Senior - BHPian
 
balenoed_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL14 <> KA01
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 2,712 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
A word of caution. Roads from MK Hubli or Kittur were not great when I traveled few years ago. Also Chorla traffic is high due to Anmod closure and of course the roads are narrow. Just drive safe and carefully.
Sensing that this route will be slow and will need more travel time. I am considering to start the previous evening itself after work - Say 3pm. Is Davangere a suitable place to halt for the night in that case? Any decent hotel suggestions there, if any, please provide.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 23:13   #4398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sensing that this route will be slow and will need more travel time. I am considering to start the previous evening itself after work - Say 3pm. Is Davangere a suitable place to halt for the night in that case? Any decent hotel suggestions there, if any, please provide.
Sankama boutique hotel on shamanoor road. Just 1km from highway. My usual stop when I make a stay enroute. Price point, around 2.5K per night. Good hotel with good rooms. I stayed while going during last trip. If making a stay just try Davanagere benne dosa at Sagar the old original hotel. I missed it this time.
rajivtelang is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 11:17   #4399
Senior - BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,384
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Sensing that this route will be slow and will need more travel time. I am considering to start the previous evening itself after work - Say 3pm. Is Davangere a suitable place to halt for the night in that case? Any decent hotel suggestions there, if any, please provide.
I stayed at Apoorva resorts last month - right next to the highway. Ample safe parking & a decent attached restaraunt. I would recommend it. Also you can book via Oyo.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 22:31   #4400
Senior - BHPian
 
balenoed_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL14 <> KA01
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 2,712 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Yes, cross Dharwad on NH 44 and continue till Kittur or MK Hubli to make a left towards Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla Ghat-Sanquelim-Bicholim-Mapusa-Panaji.
What is the difference between Dharwad - Anmod - Panaji & Dharwad - Chorla Ghat - Panaji?

I have seen most of the suggestions in this thread are for Anmod route. Under present conditions any pros and cons between them?

Also, now I am considering to drive upto Hubli so that the next day can be a relaxed drive. Thanks for the suggestions at Davanagere. Now I am looking for a hotel option at Hubli. I read in previous pages Clarks Inn as one option.

EDIT:

I just read earlier post that Anmod route is closed.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 17th May 2019 at 22:40.
balenoed_ is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 23:40   #4401
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What is the difference between Dharwad - Anmod - Panaji & Dharwad - Chorla Ghat - Panaji?

I have seen most of the suggestions in this thread are for Anmod route. Under present conditions any pros and cons between them?

Also, now I am considering to drive upto Hubli so that the next day can be a relaxed drive. Thanks for the suggestions at Davanagere. Now I am looking for a hotel option at Hubli. I read in previous pages Clarks Inn as one option.

EDIT:

I just read earlier post that Anmod route is closed.
Yes, Anmod is closed for widening work.

Difference between the two routes is First one enters Goa at Mollem and you can go via Ponda to Panaji, that is south to north. The second route enters north Goa near sanquelim and then via Mapusa you can reach Panaji which is north to north. Anmod (if operational) is ideal for south Goa and Chorla for north.

I am not much aware of good hotels in Hubli near highway. In Dharwad there is a good hotel Mandar Regency. I have stayed there a couple of times earlier. But that is not on/near highway. Staying at Dharwad may further reduce your next day drive by a few more KMs

Last edited by rajivtelang : 17th May 2019 at 23:46.
rajivtelang is offline  
Old 27th May 2019, 11:50   #4402
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 3,927 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Did Bangalore-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona and back.

Bangalore-Haveri is of course in great shape mostly, quite a few diversions for flyover work. Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Ankola - narrower, slow going, but not bad and very beautiful. Ankola-Canacona - shaping up to be a good highway, last bit of roadwork getting done, frustrating so have to use only one side of the highway, when there is just a little work remaining to be done to open the rest.

All in all, took about 12hrs, we had time, weren't in a big hurry and stopped several times. If you have the time for a peaceful drive, this route is perfectly ok for South Goa.
am1m is offline  
Old 28th May 2019, 09:00   #4403
Senior - BHPian
 
balenoed_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL14 <> KA01
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 2,712 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Is Anmod ghat route open? The google suggests that route if I touch base Hubli, Dharward and head to Agonda.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-capture.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 28th May 2019 at 09:04.
balenoed_ is offline  
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:19   #4404
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,

A first time poster here. I am planning to make a Mumbai - Pune - Ratnagiri -Goa - Bangalore trip in my Swift Dzire VDI with my fiance and two pet cats. I needed some help with the route as I am relocating from Mumbai to Bangalore.

I am from Ratnagiri so navigating the ghats of NH 66 is something I have been doing since I learnt to drive. I am covered on the Mumbai - Goa stretch as I have set waypoints on this and there aren't multiple routes to do this.

I have no set place in mind to stay in Goa, but I am inclined toward South Goa as it is a bit quieter and I have been to the North way too many times. From South Goa, I see the following routes I could take (since Anmod is closed):

1. Ponda - Chorla - Kittur - Dharwad bypass - NH 48
2. Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapura - NH 48
3. Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - NH 48 (for some reason Google Maps is recommending Sirsi - Shimoga - Channarayapattana - Bangalore?)
4. Honnavar - Shimoga - Channarayapattana - Bangalore

My only requirements are the following:
1. Drive as much on highways as possible
2. Avoid driving more than a 6 hours stretch at a time because of the cats - this requires a pet friendly stop somewhere between Goa - Bangalore
3. I would prefer divided roads (even if they are on ghats)
4. Even though I am driving for relocation, I don't mind seeing in some sights

- Should I try and get to the NH 48 as quickly as possible, and then force my way through a continuous 11-12 hour drive? Not very keen on this.

- Should I try no. 4 as it gets me close to Chikmaglur (been there before) where I can halt for one night?

- Is NH 69 a divided highway?

- No. 1 route seems to be going out of the way unless I stay in North Goa. Posters here have mentioned that no. 2 isn't the best route. Most people recommend no. 3 and no. 4 seems to just add up extra distance. What would you take?

- Which is a hassle free route with enough options in case I face some kind of a breakdown?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
wendol is offline  
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:35   #4405
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendol View Post
A first time poster here. I am planning to make a Mumbai - Pune - Ratnagiri -Goa - Bangalore trip in my Swift Dzire VDI with my fiance and two pet cats. I needed some help with the route as I am relocating from Mumbai to Bangalore.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
My choice would be South Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore. Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli has some widening work in progress, but manageable. Hubli-Chitradurga has widening work but again manageable, you're onto NH48 from Hubli all the way to Bangalore.

For stops, decent places in Karwar, Ankola (may need to detour a little bit since it's beyond the Yellapur turn off), Yellapur and then Hubli. After that lots of options in NH 48.

You can break overnight at Hubli or even Davanagere.

Avoid Mundgod-Bankapur as it's quite narrow with little to no facilities.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:59   #4406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendol View Post
Hi All,
1. Ponda - Chorla - Kittur - Dharwad bypass - NH 48
2. Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapura - NH 48
3. Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - NH 48 (for some reason Google Maps is recommending Sirsi - Shimoga - Channarayapattana - Bangalore?)
4. Honnavar - Shimoga - Channarayapattana - Bangalore

My only requirements are the following:
1. Drive as much on highways as possible
2. Avoid driving more than a 6 hours stretch at a time because of the cats - this requires a pet friendly stop somewhere between Goa - Bangalore
3. I would prefer divided roads (even if they are on ghats)
4. Even though I am driving for relocation, I don't mind seeing in some sights
Option1: Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore (The longest route but will keep you on real highway except between Ankola and Hubli but all routes are broad with a lot of vehicle activity) - Good stop options at Karwar-Ankola-Hubli

Option2: Goa-Karwar-Kumta-Sirsi-Haveri-Bangalore (Not recommended for you requirement of staying close to highway since the route is slow between Kumta to Haveri)

Option3: Goa-Chorla-Kittur-Bangalore (Not recommended since you are moving south and this will be a way long cut for your need)

Avoid Mundgod route that could be a subset of route 1 above since route is narrow and no real contact with external world between Yellapur to Bankapur.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd June 2019 at 12:00. Reason: Formatting - please avoid usage of bold fonts for entire sentences and paragraphs. Thank you!
rajivtelang is offline  
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:31   #4407
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 378
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendol View Post

Which is a hassle free route with enough options in case I face some kind of a breakdown?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.
If you intend to stay at South Goa, again it begs a clarification as to where you stay at South Goa. For example if you stay at Colva which is south Goa, then the Colva -Chorla - Belgaum - Bengaluru route is still shorter and faster. Contrary to what one may think, Colva to Belgaum via Sanquelim- Chorla is only 129 kms while touching Hubli from Colva via Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur is about 240 Kms or so. here the emphasis is on reaching the 4 lane NH4 ASAP and not the same city on NH4.

There's another route in south. Just before reaching Karwar you take a diversion at Sadashivgad towards Dandeli - Haliyal - Dharwad and you reach NH4 in about 204 Kms or so. This is a sparsely used road and passes through Anshi National park. you could even visit Kaiga dam. Its a peaceful road but not a 4 lane. Not many use this road so I have no idea about the quality of tarmac.

Now if you plan to stay deeper in South Goa, say at Palolem or Agonda or Patnem or Galgibag etc then ofcourse you can drop the chorla route from your plan as you will be a good 35 kms south now and focus on Dandeli road or Karwar -Ankola- Yellapur-Hubli road and join the highway. The Yellapur road has heavy truck / bus traffic ( all trucks / buses coming from Mangalore side to Mumbai/ Pune take this road) so expect some slow moving traffic and a bit of frustration that comes with it.

The other roads like Via Shimoga or Sirsi are rather state roads with local traffic and without dividers which I would prefer not to take given your requirements.
ashkamath is offline  
Old 4th June 2019, 12:24   #4408
Senior - BHPian
 
balenoed_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL14 <> KA01
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 2,712 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Avoid Mundgod-Bankapur as it's quite narrow with little to no facilities.
Is this to be avoided strictly?

I am driving tomorow morning from Davangere; planning to take Mundgod - Yellapur route.

I don't mind not having any facilities as I am starting from Davangere only, but apart from that anything? Isn't it too much of a detour to go up-to Hubli and then go towards Yellapur?
balenoed_ is offline  
Old 4th June 2019, 13:57   #4409
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is this to be avoided strictly?

I am driving tomorow morning from Davangere; planning to take Mundgod - Yellapur route.

I don't mind not having any facilities as I am starting from Davangere only, but apart from that anything? Isn't it too much of a detour to go up-to Hubli and then go towards Yellapur?
Should be ok for you since: a) you're at Davanagere, b) you're fine with no facilities en route and c) you're driving in the morning

There was some road widening work also en route, so it's not a great idea if you need facilities en route or if you're driving evenings/late night.

Last edited by NPV : 4th June 2019 at 13:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 14:11   #4410
BHPian
 
ashkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vasco-Goa
Posts: 378
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is this to be avoided strictly?

I am driving tomorow morning from Davangere; planning to take Mundgod - Yellapur route.

I don't mind not having any facilities as I am starting from Davangere only, but apart from that anything? Isn't it too much of a detour to go up-to Hubli and then go towards Yellapur?
The distance increases by 50 Kms / 1 hour if you go up to Hubli and then turn towards Yellapur. That's the distance/time you save if you take the Mundgod road.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks