Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 10:27   #4306
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
What about Lunch? where to stop around 1PM or so. I am also planning for a drive with family and my 18mths old kid on 5th Jan.
It will depend on what time you are starting from Bengaluru and which part of Goa you are traveling to. If you are in Dharwad by 12 noon, Ramya Residency (family restaurant) on the bypass in Dharwad can be a good option for an early lunch. After this point, there are not much good options, though you may find some roadside eateries. Also, there is one Hill View Restaurant (I guess bar attached) on the highway inside ghat, which can be an alternate option if you miss lunch in Dharwad. Since most of us reach our destinations in Goa by 2-3 pm, it may also be a good idea stocking enough snacks, juices, fruits, etc., on the way and reaching there directly and having lunch once for all. In case you prefer avoiding lunch at your destination after checking in, then there are quite a few options in Margao if you happen to pass through the city. Thanks.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 31st December 2018 at 10:29.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 10:51   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
It will depend on what time you are starting from Bengaluru and which part of Goa you are traveling to. If you are in Dharwad by 12 noon, Ramya Residency (family restaurant) on the bypass in Dharwad can be a good option for an early lunch. After this point, there are not much good options, though you may find some roadside eateries. Also, there is one Hill View Restaurant (I guess bar attached) on the highway inside ghat, which can be an alternate option if you miss lunch in Dharwad. Since most of us reach our destinations in Goa by 2-3 pm, it may also be a good idea stocking enough snacks, juices, fruits, etc., on the way and reaching there directly and having lunch once for all. In case you prefer avoiding lunch at your destination after checking in, then there are quite a few options in Margao if you happen to pass through the city. Thanks.
Thanks, i didn't realize that we might reach Goa around lunch time as Google Maps states it can take upto 12 hours to reach there hence the question, I'm planning to start at 5am from indiranagar.. Will keep this in mind. Also I'm staying at anjuna beach next to curlies. So hope there will be no issues with food once reached.

Now everyone is taking the anmod road but maps shows chorla route. Not sure which is better after the construction started at anmod section.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th July 2019 at 11:40. Reason: Removing additional spacing
Old 31st December 2018, 17:35   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, i didn't realize that we might reach Goa around lunch time as Google Maps states it can take upto 12 hours to reach there hence the question, I'm planning to start at 5am from indiranagar.. Will keep this in mind. Also I'm staying at anjuna beach next to curlies. So hope there will be no issues with food once reached.

Now everyone is taking the anmod road but maps shows chorla route. Not sure which is better after the construction started at anmod section.
Anmod is work in progress with road widening, tree felling and road digging. Am not sure if it's a great option to drive this route, you might get stuck looking at what I saw happening on this route

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2019 at 22:09. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 17:49   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Anmod is work in progress with road widening, tree felling and road digging. Am not sure if it's a great option to drive this route, you might get stuck looking at what I saw happening on this route
i'll follow gmaps, chorla ghat it is then.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:58   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Am planning to take the chorla ghat on the way back tomorrow and see how it goes
Old 31st December 2018, 21:15   #4311
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Am planning to take the chorla ghat on the way back tomorrow and see how it goes
Just came back from Anjuna on 30th. Started at 1PM from near Anjuna beach, reached Bellandur by 12 in the night with 4 breaks of around 1.5hrs total. Didn't go beyond 100Kmph. You should take the Chorla ghat, you will avoid narrow roads in Goa and the two wheeler traffic is lesser. Short summary of the roads below.

Chorla ghats:
The roads are okay till the Goa border, then get a little bad. but no nasty surprises. The ghats climb was gradual and not much difficult. Be mindful of narrow bends and vehicles coming from other direction. Till the highest point it is bad, then gets relatively decent.

SH31:
After the ghats, you will take a right to the SH31. The section is bad, very narrow, passing through multiple villages with many speed breakers. Be careful of the speed breakers and you'll have to get off the road a few times to let vehicles pass. I came in my Figo which was not a problem, but had to be a little extra careful that's all.

Khanapur(pitstop):
After the SH31, you'll merge onto NH748 near Khanapur, for a little while before taking the SH56. Khanapur is a good place to stop, many shops nearby and you'll reach around 2hrs from start. It is actually the first proper place for a break on this route.

SH56:
This section is better than the SH31, the road gets wider and pretty smooth barring a few places. You'll need to be mindful of the speed breakers though.

NH48:
You'll need to merge onto the NH48 near Kittur. The NH48 is pretty well documented here on various threads, so i'll just give a very short summary. Kittur to Dharwad is good. After Dharwad, till Hubli you'll be restricted to 60kmph. As parag sir has mentioned in multiple places, cops are almost always there to catch you if you violate. The roads in this section are good, no issues. From Hubli till Chitradurga, the road are okay. Chitradurga till Tumkur is beautiful. Can easily cruise at 100kmph, dependent on truck traffic. From Tumkur again it is okay till Bangalore.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2019 at 22:09. Reason: Spacing
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 17:14   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. Starting at 5 a.m. from Indiranagar, you will not be able to make it to Anjuna by lunchtime. I meant South Goa locations when I said reaching by lunchtime. Then, you will have a lot of lunch options in Goa on route to Panjim (don't recall restaurants' names), but Google can help. By the way, I travelled from Malleshwaram to Anjuna in 2012, starting at 4:30 a.m. and reaching there only by 6:30 p.m. with three breaks.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 1st January 2019 at 17:18.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:39   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
I drove back via chorla ghat yesterday. I felt this route is better than Anmod. There was hardly any difference in time taken to reach between the two routes. It was 30 mins difference that's all.

But yea, Bangalore to Goa (north goa at least) takes 12 hrs door to door and I felt it was not worth driving down at all. This despite some spirited driving. We tend to lose a lot of time and almost a day in the process, not to forget the stress of a long drive and the traffic along the route.

There was checking near Hubli and I was let go since I had all documents. On the way back before khanapur I was fined 100rs for not taking a proper round about.

The air tickets were costly due to the season which made me drive down. I wouldn't be driving down to Goa again for sure.

If people can afford, then a flight is the best option.

Last edited by NFS2024 : 2nd January 2019 at 16:49.
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:38   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Onward (22/12/2018):

....However, about 20 km before the Hubli bypass, the route seems to be undergoing some roadworks and it appears that a few culverts are being built. Avoid if you're ina sedan!
You are spot-on with your assessments. Its a useful post for people who plan to undertake drives on these roads.

I had also mentioned about the Yellapura-Kalghatgi roadworks in my previous post. With Bankapura-Yellapura ruled out for any regular (thinking) people, and with Dharwad-Anmod busy with road works and closures, pretty much this is the only path to Goa for now.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 21:50   #4315
BHPian

Happy New Year all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post

If you start from Bangalore by 5 AM, you should be in Hubli by 9-9.30 AM. From Hubli you may require close to 4 hours to reach Cavelossim.

Based on your requirement I would recommend, Bangalore - Hubli bypass - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Dharbandora - Sanvordem - Quepem - Cuncolim - Cavelossim.
I plan to drive to Cavelossim in the middle of coming week. I generally don't mind a longer route if the roads are better. Is this still a good option? Any recent travelers in this route care to share some feedback?

I read in various places that Anmod Mollem pass will be closed from Jan 10th. Is this true? What's the best alternative in that case?

My plan is to start early morning on 9th and reach by evening. I'm traveling with family in a Sedan (Cedia) and really want to reach before nightfall.

Appreciate any help here!

Cheers!
Old 8th January 2019, 15:12   #4316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
I read in various places that Anmod Mollem pass will be closed from Jan 10th. Is this true? What's the best alternative in that case?

My plan is to start early morning on 9th and reach by evening. I'm traveling with family in a Sedan (Cedia) and really want to reach before nightfall
I do not see any problem in you taking Anmod - Mollem - Sanvordem - Quepem - Cuncolim - Cavelossim route (Since you are starting on 9th of Jan).

While returning to Bangalore you can take Cavelossim - Karwar- Yellapur - Mungod - Bankapur route.

You will find road widening work in progress on both the routes.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 18:15   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
While returning to Bangalore you can take Cavelossim - Karwar- Yellapur - Mungod - Bankapur route.
Agree. Please avoid Hubli-Kalghatgi-Yellapur stretch (the longer route). Massive work in progress at snail-pace. Drove on that road after 2 years. The work had started a long back and still nowhere near completion. Only one side of the road is converted into concrete section at many places. This is more than 1 foot above the other side at many places. And the remaining half road is in real bad shape. Everybody (including trucks) wants to take the concrete part making driving a hell.
Anmod route is good. Road widening work in full swing with a lot of loose soil around those sections.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 10:11   #4318
BHPian

Thanks guys! Because of the nationwide strike, we drove to Hubli on 8th early morning. I thought I'll escape the city before strike starts so there is no chance of getting held up. Until Hubli, the road was fine. Like other people mentioned here earlier, there are some spots on the Chitradurga - Hubli stretch where you have to take diversions to avoid road work. But this is still quite drivable. Starting to Goa through the Amond - Mollem route in a few minutes. Will update on the route once we reach Goa.
Cheers!
Old 10th January 2019, 11:35   #4319
BHPian

I am planning to drive to goa on 2nd Feb. i would be staying in and around Varca.

As i have a small kid in tow planning to break journey for a night in Hubli / Dharwad and then process next day towards Varca

Please advice the best route as i understand the Molem route would be closed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:44   #4320
BHPian

@Chalu I'm planning the same sometime (kid in tow, break the journey). I was thinking of touching the coast early & driving along the coast the next day.

1) Bangalore -> towards Hassan -> Shimoga -> Sagara -> Honnavara
2) Honnavara -> Kumta -> Karwar -> Varca

Last edited by yatin : 10th January 2019 at 18:44. Reason: Nitpick corrected.

Most Viewed