Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 12:00   #4216
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Avshem...
Google shows a route through Chorla, Bicholim. By passing Mapusa.
Please follow Gmaps. The other route for you will be Hubli - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Usgao (Tisk) - Sakhali - Bicholim - Mapusa (Bypass) - Ashvem.

You are likely to reach Ashvem early through Chorla. But be cautious during ghat section as you might face lot of fog. It is mostly tableland to Chorla ghat unlike Anmod ghat, and as you are bound to hit that road (Kankumbi onwards) early morning the chances of you dissecting through thick fog are high.

If you leave Bangalore by 11.30 PM you should be in Hubli by 4.30 AM and by 6.30 AM you will be crossing Khanapur. You should be in Kankumbi by 7.15 AM.

If you delay you departure by hour and half you are likely to have full visibility in ghat section. This will also allow you to finish your breakfast in Khanapur and proceed to Goa enjoying beautiful Chorla ghat section.

P.S. - Be careful when you venture out on beach. Weather reports aren't very favorable for North Goa. Here are the Details (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries).
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 19:13   #4217
BHPian

We traveled to Goa on 8th October by the Hubli - Londa-Mollem route:
https://goo.gl/maps/qXzzrtw7Gh92

It was a scenic route and there were no problems. You need to be slow as the ghat is narrow but roads were overall okay. There are some unmarked/faded speed breakers just out of Dharwad. While returning we came via Karwar and Yellapur (NH 66 and NH52). There are more oil tankers on this route but this is a wide road and more comfortable . You just need to have some patience in case you are stuck behind a tanker during the curves . Overall, I suggest the Karwar route for families or for people going to South Goa.
https://goo.gl/maps/nYvrnG3FVgo
Old 12th October 2018, 19:35   #4218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
It was a scenic route and there were no problems. You need to be slow as the ghat is narrow but roads were overall okay. T
Hope there is no bad patches of roads anywhere between Bangalore to Goa. From where did the ghat road start & lasts for how many kms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Yes. Chorla is definitely scenic.

Best route? Depends on what is your destination in North Goa.
For Assagoa which route do you suggest for quicker coverage (better roads)?

Last edited by Surprise : 12th October 2018 at 19:41.
Old 12th October 2018, 21:10   #4219
BHPian

There are a few bad patches in the ghat but I could manage in my low ground clearance Honda City by slowing down completely. I think the ghat road starts after Anmod but not exactly sure about the length.
bangaloreguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:32   #4220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
There are a few bad patches in the ghat but I could manage in my low ground clearance Honda City by slowing down completely. I think the ghat road starts after Anmod but not exactly sure about the length.
Anmod ghat is 16 kms long. I have checked it multiple times on 2 wheeler as well as 4 wheeler. Infact most ghats in western ghats especially North Karnataka and Maharashtra are around 16 - 22 kms in length.
Old 13th October 2018, 15:17   #4221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Apologies for late response. Since I have no experience of driving on Bangalore - Gokarna route, I restrained myself from commenting on your post. I hope whatever little information I could provide, will be helpful for your trip.

Once your plan is concrete, do share. I'll try to help you with sample itinerary & exact route to be followed (at least within Goa )

Is it possible for you to do Bangalore - Dandeli (Reach by evening - Spend a day) - North Goa - South Goa - Gokarna - Bangalore?

I feel spending a day at Dandeli is more fun than spending a night.
Thanks, Ertigiat. Appreciate it.

Infact I have already booked the hotels (some of which are nonrefundable). The onward journey is via Gokarna (with a 2 night break there) and the return journey is via Dandeli. Any insights on why Dandeli (Virnoli to be specific) is deemed to be not recommended for spending a night? I had booked via Airbnb, after seeing overwhelmingly positive reviews about a particular homestay setup in Virnoli.
victoriacc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:29   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, tips and advice. Much appreciated.

Here is the route I took and the return was the same as well - https://goo.gl/maps/dyDzTWEj6LG2

Roads were excellent except for narrow stretches on the SH. Other than that, it was picturesque and very green. Very enjoyable driving on this stretch through the forest area.

Again, thanks to everyone who pitched in and shared their inputs.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 13:48   #4223
BHPian

Did Bangalore (Jayanagar)- Goa (Palolem- Lalit Golf resort & back) during 10th-13th Oct

Outbound route: Nelamangala- Tumkur- Chitradurga- Ranibennur- Hubli bypass- Kalghatgi- Yellapur- Ankola- Karwar- Canacona

Car: Creta 1.6 (SxO), took delivery last week

Time: Left Jayanagar at 4:45am reached Lalit by 1pm with one 30 minute break for breakfast

Road Conditions: Smooth all the way till chitradurga. 4 laning work in progress post that with multiple deviations, worse still are the tractors/JCBs etc coming up the wrong way in these construction zones this continues all the way till the Hubli bypass.

Hubli- Kalghati has white-topping underway in few sections making this stretch considerably slow. Yellapur- Ankola is about ok but turnings at the ghats are in bad shape with huge ruts. Ankola to Karwar again has 4 laning in progress with many deviations and slow. Road post entering Goa is narrow but smooth all the way to Canacona

Break Options: All the cafe-coffee days on-route were yet to open as we had started pretty early on. Finally stopped at "Hotel The Cult" about 30 minutes before Hubli. Clean place, has the Indian Paratha Company restaurent, they only had paratha options for breakfast. Tasty but a little pricey (Rs 600 for 3 parathas+ masala chai)

Inbound route: Lalit Goa- Karwar- Ankola- Yellapur- Mundgod- Bankapur- Haveri- Ranebennur- Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelamangala- ORR- Jayanagar

Time: Left Lalit at 11:45am reached home at 9:15pm with about 30-40 minutes of break inbetween.

Road Condition: Would highly recommend the Yellapur- Mundgod- Bankapur section [b]only if travelling during daylight hours. This is an isolated route which is mostly through a forest area. Tarmac is good all the way through but road is narrow with 2 weelers traffic sometimes flying out of blind curves. Also not sure of safety aspect after dark as most of the farms on-route had electrical fencing indicating presence of wildlife.

Break Option: Skipped lunch as we had a very heavy breakfast, stopped at about 5:30 pm at Upadhaya Veg. This restaurent is on the service road just as you are exiting Chitradurga. Highly recommended! They serve amazing masala dosa's & Bonda Soup!

Cheers,
Kiran
Caadmara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:44   #4224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
Any insights on why Dandeli (Virnoli to be specific) is deemed to be not recommended for spending a night? I had booked via Airbnb, after seeing overwhelmingly positive reviews about a particular homestay setup in Virnoli.
Nothing specific. But I would avoid detour just to spend a night. I also doubt if you can do any (fun) activities post evening.
Old 18th October 2018, 08:05   #4225
BHPian

Traveled to Goa via Ramnagar-Anmod to North Goa yesterday.
As mentioned by others diversions due to road widening after Chitradurga, encountered many trucks and so will slow you down. No issues on the road till Ramnagar except the area near railway crossings. From Ramnagar too the road is good with some bad patches but a little slow speed and it shouldn't bother you. Many of the bends of Anmod ghat are bad so need to be slow. Again got stuck behind lots of trucks and trailers on the ghat which kind of slows you down. Took the Tiska-Sanquelim-Bicholim route, good all the way.
Overall good route to take to North Goa.
diogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 09:50   #4226
BHPian

Reached Ashvem via the Chorla route....all fine there in the Baleno.
Return is planned via the Mollem, Londa, Hubli bypass as we plan to pi k up Bebinca from Mr. Bakers. Missed it last evening due to traffic.

Return starts....NOW.
Old 20th October 2018, 19:11   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Road Conditions:
- Smooth all the way till chitradurga. 4 laning work in progress post that with multiple deviations,
- Hubli- Kalghati has white-topping underway in few sections making this stretch considerably slow.
- Ankola to Karwar again has 4 laning in progress with many deviations and slow. Road post entering Goa is narrow but smooth all the way to Canacona
Thanks for an useful post there. I am disheartened about my upcoming trip, given the road conditions you have mentioned.

Does this mean more than 60% of route to Goa from Bangalore is under construction? Is Chitradurga-Hubli road driveable? How long does this take?

How long does Ankola-Karwar take?

Highly disappointed that Hubli-Kalghatgi also is under construction or the road is not good.

Is it a good idea to drive in December with family (in a Honda City), or you suggest flying? Do you see road conditions worsening or improving by then. Sorry for so many questions. But your post got me thinking and many thanks for the same.
Old 20th October 2018, 21:33   #4228
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Is it a good idea to drive in December with family (in a Honda City), or you suggest flying? Do you see road conditions worsening or improving by then.
The road widening from Chitradurga has begun but what I've heard and read is that the diversions are well marked, with an early start from Bangalore it shouldn't be an issue. The Hubli-Kalghatgi work is something that I'm just reading about. If you still need to go via Karwar, you can avoid Hubli-Kalghatgi by taking Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapur.

Ankola-Karwar has been work in progress for more than 2-3 years now but it is manageable.

If your destination in Goa isn't Canacona or Agonda, you can avoid the Karwar route completely.

Choose the route based on where in Goa you will be staying. For example you can go via Hubli-Dharwad-Anmod-Mollem to reach places in North/Central Goa (assuming Chitradurga-Hubli doesn't deteriorate which I don't expect will happen given this is such an important route).

Last edited by NPV : 20th October 2018 at 21:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 22:05   #4229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The road widening from Chitradurga has begun but what I've heard and read is that the diversions are well marked
But be careful about the speed breakers on these diversions. Drove to my hometown on 17th from Bengaluru. Do not remember but one speed breaker on diversion near Haveri is terrible. It was raining and did not notice the height and almost scrapped the bottom of my i20.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 17:18   #4230
BHPian

Returned from our Goa trip on October 17th. As per suggestions given by members here prior to departure, took the following route: Hubli - Dharward - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Usgao - Margao - Salcette (final destination).

The drive from Bengaluru (BEL circle) started at 4:30 a.m., and up to Chitradurga, it was a breeze. Thereafter, road works were in progress, hence deviations every now and then. A village (don't recall the name) near Ranebennur has few unscientific speedbreakers; please be careful in this stretch at high speeds, especially when low visibility (witnessed an unfortunate incident for an Etios!). Stopped for breakfast at Kamath Upachar, Ranebennur.

After Dharward, once we diverted to Goa road, there was rigorous checking by traffic cops (RC, Insurance, PUC, and DL); please make sure you have all of these. There were about 30 cars stopped, and some outstations cars (KL, AP, and TS) were being asked to pay an amount to the tune of 10K-12K! However, KA vehicles, if all documents intact, were let off quickly. From thereon, it was mostly narrow roads with again construction activities going on. Entered Goa border around 12 noon and reached Salcette around 2:30 p.m. Few stretches in ghat sections at curves were really bad, with underbody getting hit.

On return, started at 11:30 a.m. from Salcette and took the exact same route. Traffic was very heavy in ghat section with lot of large trucks (maybe due to the timing), and this caused us a lot of delay. Stopped for lunch at Ramya Residency, Dharwad. Travel between Hubli and Tumkur became a nightmare with heavy rains and almost no visibility after sunset. Due to the extended travel, had to stop for dinner at Kamath Upachar, Sira, and finally reached home around 11:30 p.m. That brought our entire Goa trip to an end! Once again, thanks to all members who helped us with necessary information.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 21st October 2018 at 17:19.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks