Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 16:09   #4201
BHPian
 
adg_andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Folks, posting in the forum after a long time!! We have planned a BLR-South Goa trip in the first week of november. We will have kids travelling with us (age between 2 and 7). Please suggest routes and stoppages. If it was for my kid , wouldn't have asked - she is used to long dashes. Planned departure time is 6 am, from Gottigere, Banerghatta road.
adg_andy is offline  
Old 9th October 2018, 16:44   #4202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Folks, posting in the forum after a long time!! We have planned a BLR-South Goa trip in the first week of november. We will have kids travelling with us (age between 2 and 7). Please suggest routes and stoppages. If it was for my kid , wouldn't have asked - she is used to long dashes. Planned departure time is 6 am, from Gottigere, Banerghatta road.
1. Go for Bangalore-Dharwad-Anmod-Mollem route. Except some bad patches in ghat, road is good.
2. Other option is via Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Longer route with some bad patches in ghat. These patches are not so bad, broad route.

I usually stop at Kamat Upachar, Tumkur for breakfast (around 1.5 to 2 hours after departure from home.) Then another short food stop at Kamat Upachar, Ranebennur (around 3 hours from Kamat Upachar Tumkur).
If at this point if I choose option 1, no stop post this point. But you still have one more Kamat Upachar near Varur, before Hubli on other side of road. If with option 2, you have a Kamat Upachar at Ankola. But you need to make a left on NH-17 for 1.5 km once you reach it.

You got it right, I too start at around 6AM everytime for going to Goa, so my food stops are at around 7.30AM (Tumkur), then 11.30AM (Ranebennur). Add 30 min. +/-. Rest is as per the convenience of the kids

Last edited by rajivtelang : 9th October 2018 at 16:49.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 16:55   #4203
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 7,890 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Thanks sir ! MY only concern with Option #2 is that we will need to go through Panjim city mid-day traffic , which delay us.
Well not really. There is a network of flyovers and you will reach there from the old Goa side. Just need to take the ramp to climb the bridge over the river and you'd have bypassed Panjim

In fact, you can even take an alternate route too via Reis Magos Fort-Candolim-Calangute. For this, once you cross the bridge across the Madndovi river at Panjim, turn left, it's like a U turn that goes below and joins the road towards Reis Magos.

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2018 at 17:18.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 22:49   #4204
BHPian
 
shijanto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 102
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi Friends,

I read through all the recent posts here to gather as much info as possible for my upcoming Goa trip planned for this weekend, October 13th, but still some queries persist. Apologies!

We (a family of 4 adults and 2 kids) are planning to start from Bengaluru (BEL circle) at around 4:30 a.m., traveling in Honda Jazz. I am pretty sure about the route till Hubli, and my confusion is after reaching there. I read about a couple of routes being suggested from Hubli depending on the destination in Goa. Our destination is Royal Orchid, Salcette, South Goa. Would appreciate if somebody can advise me on how to best proceed from Hubli. Is Karwar route feasible after reaching Hubli (Google shows it as the longer route)? Also, it shows the shortest route from Hubli as Dharwad - Alnavar - Anmod - Mollem, etc. Is this right? Trusting Google alone in the past has not ended things well, so a bit worried . Our primary concern would be road conditions, so would prefer good roads even if it means a little longer distance. Also, if starting at 4:30 a.m., where would the ideal breakfast stop be? Our check-in time there is 2:00 p.m., so hoping to make it on time with all the breaks included.

Thanks for all the help that's going to come .

Last edited by shijanto4 : 9th October 2018 at 22:51.
shijanto4 is offline  
Old 10th October 2018, 08:38   #4205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 874
Thanked: 430 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
We (a family of 4 adults and 2 kids) are planning to start from Bengaluru (BEL circle) at around 4:30 a.m., traveling in Honda Jazz. I am pretty sure about the route till Hubli, and my confusion is after reaching there. I read about a couple of routes being suggested from Hubli depending on the destination in Goa. Our destination is Royal Orchid, Salcette, South Goa. Would appreciate if somebody can advise me on how to best proceed from Hubli. Is Karwar route feasible after reaching Hubli (Google shows it as the longer route)? Also, it shows the shortest route from Hubli as Dharwad - Alnavar - Anmod - Mollem, etc. Is this right? Trusting Google alone in the past has not ended things well, so a bit worried . Our primary concern would be road conditions, so would prefer good roads even if it means a little longer distance. Also, if starting at 4:30 a.m., where would the ideal breakfast stop be? Our check-in time there is 2:00 p.m., so hoping to make it on time with all the breaks included..
You have two choices. Since Salcete is Madgaon area, I would recommend go via Bangalore->Hubli->Dharwad->Anmod->Mollem->Savordem->Quepem->your destination, since the distance is short and roads are OK. Now considering Jazz's low GC, some patches in ghat (Karnataka Side) could be troublesome for you. After Hubli Toll, NH-4 changes to 2 lane road. Get a toll receipt for "Goa Road". Continue for that exit which is around 25KM from the toll post. That road goes straight to Mollem via Ramnagar, Anmod.
If you are OK for a bit longer route (say 60-70KMs extra), I would suggest go via Bangalore->Hubli->Yellapur->Ankola->Karwar->Madgaon->Your destination. This route has some rough patches in ghat but not bad, since this route is quite broad. For this at Hubli toll get a receipt for "Ankola" or "Karwar". This road goes to Ankola via Yellapur. This exit is hardly 1.5KM from Hubli. You need to preserve those receipts since they will ask you while exiting NH-4. I do not remember the exact amount here. Sorry for that.
If you start at 4.30AM, will reach Sira by 7-7.30AM. There is a Kamat Upachar on other side of the road. That could be your perfect place for breakfast considering the timing. If that is too early you continue till Ranebennur and another Kamat Upachar on the same side of the road. Please check with Google maps for their locations.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 10th October 2018 at 08:40.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 09:02   #4206
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,560
Thanked: 1,378 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Hi Friends,

I read through all the recent posts here to gather as much info as possible for my upcoming Goa trip planned for this weekend, October 13th, but still some queries persist. Apologies!

We (a family of 4 adults and 2 kids) are planning to start from Bengaluru (BEL circle) at around 4:30 a.m., traveling in Honda Jazz. I am pretty sure about the route till Hubli, and my confusion is after reaching there. I read about a couple of routes being suggested from Hubli depending on the destination in Goa. Our destination is Royal Orchid, Salcette, South Goa. Would appreciate if somebody can advise me on how to best proceed from Hubli. Is Karwar route feasible after reaching Hubli (Google shows it as the longer route)? Also, it shows the shortest route from Hubli as Dharwad - Alnavar - Anmod - Mollem, etc. Is this right? Trusting Google alone in the past has not ended things well, so a bit worried . Our primary concern would be road conditions, so would prefer good roads even if it means a little longer distance. Also, if starting at 4:30 a.m., where would the ideal breakfast stop be? Our check-in time there is 2:00 p.m., so hoping to make it on time with all the breaks included.

Thanks for all the help that's going to come .
Hi Shijant04,

I had been to Goa last week and the following route would be the best bet as of now.

Kamat Upachar, Sira - 13.704443, 76.915308

Indian Paratha Company, Hubli - 15.202825, 75.136962

Dharwad Junction - 15.458146, 74.966636
Alnavar Junction - 15.445913, 74.740730
Ramanagar Junction - 15.423029, 74.491660
Castlerock Junction - 15.437790, 74.326476
Mollem Junction - 15.376327, 74.227635

And after that, depends on where you want to go inside Goa.

Enjoy your vacation!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:31   #4207
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Our destination is Royal Orchid, Salcette, South Goa. Would appreciate if somebody can advise me on how to best proceed from Hubli. Is Karwar route feasible after reaching Hubli (Google shows it as the longer route)? Also, it shows the shortest route from Hubli as Dharwad - Alnavar - Anmod - Mollem, etc. Is this right? Trusting Google alone in the past has not ended things well, so a bit worried please
You can trust google this time.

Do not think of any other route than Hubli Bypass - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Margao (sort of bypass) - Royal Orchid.

Quote:
Also, if starting at 4:30 a.m., where would the ideal breakfast stop be? Our check-in time there is 2:00 p.m., so hoping to make it on time with all the breaks included.
Please check this thread for Eateries between Bangalore & Hubli.

Thread (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

Post Hubli exit it is little difficult to find any decent hotel. But you still can stop at below locations, if you opt for a break between Hubli & your destination.

Hill View Hotel

Hotel Raj Palace

Doodhsagar Resort

Carry polythene bags in case your kids are sensitive to motion sickness. Sometimes it becomes difficult to stop car in ghat for a break due to motion sickness. Drive at moderate/slow speed during ghat section, as it helps in avoiding motion sickness.

By the way, location you have chosen for vacation is good one. Beaches nearby will be Quieter & less crowded compared other commercial beaches.

If you need anything else, you can travel to Margao, which is nearby city.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 20:33   #4208
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Looks like my request got drowned amongst few other queries.

Infact, i did look through last 10-15 pages to get relevant inputs. But since my planned trip is Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa (instead of direct to Goa) and Goa - Dandeli - Bangalore (instead of direct to Bangalore), I couldn't get the information I was looking for. Any kind and experienced souls here who can help answer these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
I am a newbie in this forum and need some guidance on the route from Bangalore to Goa. This is my first road trip in this route and am travelling with my wife and kid. Given below is the high level plan that I have, w.r.t the hotel reservations made. Any help is well appreciated.

Bangalore to Gokarna (and 2 nights in Gokarna) : I am planning to start from Whitefield around 5 am.

1. Should I take the Tumkur-Shivamogga-Gokarna route? Or, Davanagere-Ranebennur-Sirsi-Gokarna route?

2. Is it worth having a detour via Jog falls before I reach Gokarna? Is the Oct-Nov timing a good time for Jog falls visit? If yes, what is the change in route recommended?

a. Hosadurga-Shivamogga-Jog falls route? Or, Ranebennur- Sirsi- Jog falls route?
b. Any insights on the recent road conditions in the belt around Jog falls?

3. I am planning to drive safe in moderate speeds (100kph max, 60-70 kph average), especially since I am travelling with my kid. How much travel time should be expected to reach Gokarna?

4. Breakfast & lunch suggestions enroute?

Gokarna to South Goa (and 2 nights in South Goa) : I guess one needs to simply follow Google Maps. Any other suggestions?

1 night in North Goa : Planning to follow Google Maps as it is.

North Goa to Bangalore: I don’t want to make it 1 single long drive. Hence planning to start on one afternoon (say, 1 or 2 pm) and reach Dandeli by evening and spend the evening/night there. And then drive from Dandeli in the morning (9 or 10 am) and reach Bangalore by evening.

North Goa to Dandeli : What are the route options? Which one is recommended on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? Google is suggesting Mollem-Anmod route and reach Gharli and then take a detour to Dandeli? Any insights on road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to reach Dandeli?

Dandeli to Bangalore : Looks like there are 2 main options (below). Which one is recommended? Again on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to? reach Bangalore from Dandeli? Lunch suggestions enroute?

a. Dandeli – Mundgod – Bankapur - Ranebennur - Bangalore route (without touching Hubli)
b. Dandeli – Haliyal – Dharwad –Hubbali - Bangalore
victoriacc is offline  
Old 10th October 2018, 22:37   #4209
BHPian
 
shijanto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 102
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
You have two choices. Since Salcete is Madgaon area, I would recommend go via Bangalore->Hubli->Dharwad->Anmod->Mollem->Savordem->Quepem->your destination, since the distance is short and roads are OK. Now considering Jazz's low GC, some patches in ghat (Karnataka Side) could be troublesome for you. After Hubli Toll, NH-4 changes to 2 lane road. Get a toll receipt for "Goa Road". Continue for that exit which is around 25KM from the toll post. That road goes straight to Mollem via Ramnagar, Anmod.
Thanks, rajivtelang, for all the info. I think I'll take the first suggested route. A 60-70 km detour may not be worth it. Also, checking of toll receipts was new to me, wasn't aware. Thanks for alerting on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Shijant04,

I had been to Goa last week and the following route would be the best bet as of now.

Kamat Upachar, Sira - 13.704443, 76.915308

Indian Paratha Company, Hubli - 15.202825, 75.136962

Dharwad Junction - 15.458146, 74.966636
Alnavar Junction - 15.445913, 74.740730
Ramanagar Junction - 15.423029, 74.491660
Castlerock Junction - 15.437790, 74.326476
Mollem Junction - 15.376327, 74.227635

And after that, depends on where you want to go inside Goa.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks, Chethan, for the input. Thankfully, all three routes suggested here are the same, so no more confusion. Looks like Kamat Upachar is the only decent option for breakfast on this route (almost all suggesting the same!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
You can trust google this time.

Do not think of any other route than Hubli Bypass - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Margao (sort of bypass) - Royal Orchid.
Thanks, Ertigiat. Maybe Google has matured now . Ghat section is a bit worry but will keep in mind the stops that you have suggested if needed. Also, it's reassuring to know that the location I have chosen is a good one.

All of your details were of great help and will follow the advice. Will keep you all posted about the experience once back to Bengaluru on October 17th.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 10th October 2018 at 22:40.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 23:01   #4210
BHPian
 
Exhaust_Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

We are two couples in a baleno. We plan to start at 11:30 pm from Bangalore and take the hubbali, yellapur, karwar route. Target is north Goa, but going from South Goa to north is not a big deal.

Is the start time of 11:30 pm safe? Night driving part is not an issue as there are two drivers and I prefer night driving.

Planning to start this Friday, 12th night.


Thanks!
Exhaust_Note is offline  
Old 11th October 2018, 09:31   #4211
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Target is north Goa, but going from South Goa to north is not a big deal.
Indeed it is a big deal now a days. Loads of road construction/bridge construction work going on between South & North. Driving through "WORK IN PROGRESS" itself is a task.

Quote:
We are two couples in a baleno. We plan to start at 11:30 pm from Bangalore and take the hubbali, yellapur, karwar route.
As your destination is North Goa, any particular reason for choosing this route over Chorla or Anmod route? It doesn't make any sense of travelling all the way to South Goa and then traveling towards North.

I would suggest, to please consider Chorla or Anmod route depending on your destination in North Goa.

Quote:
Is the start time of 11:30 pm safe? Night driving part is not an issue as there are two drivers and I prefer night driving.
There should not be any problem. In case you are leaving at mentioned time you should be in Hubli before break of the dawn. Thereafter it should be relatively easy as you would be entering ghat (in case you take Anmod or Chorla) well after sun rise.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 12:23   #4212
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
I am a newbie in this forum and need some guidance on the route from Bangalore to Goa. This is my first road trip in this route and am travelling with my wife and kid. Given below is the high level plan that I have, w.r.t the hotel reservations made. Any help is well appreciated.

Bangalore to Gokarna
Sir, I do not have any experience of driving on this route, hence I leave it to experts/experienced souls to comment.

Quote:
Gokarna to South Goa (and 2 nights in South Goa) : I guess one needs to simply follow Google Maps. Any other suggestions?
Please follow Gmaps. You will not face any issue. Stick to Mangalore - Mumbai highway (NH-66).

Quote:
1 night in North Goa : Planning to follow Google Maps as it is.
Again please follow Gmaps. (South Goa to North Goa)

Quote:
North Goa to Dandeli : What are the route options? Which one is recommended on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? Google is suggesting Mollem-Anmod route and reach Gharli and then take a detour to Dandeli? Any insights on road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to reach Dandeli?
Please take Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Dandeli route. IMHO Dandeli isn't right place to spend night.

Quote:
Dandeli to Bangalore : Looks like there are 2 main options (below). Which one is recommended? Again on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to? reach Bangalore from Dandeli? Lunch suggestions enroute?

a. Dandeli – Mundgod – Bankapur - Ranebennur - Bangalore route (without touching Hubli)
b. Dandeli – Haliyal – Dharwad –Hubbali - Bangalore
Option 1 looks sensible. But I can vouch for Option 2 as I have traveled on that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriacc View Post
Looks like my request got drowned amongst few other queries.

Infact, i did look through last 10-15 pages to get relevant inputs. But since my planned trip is Bangalore - Gokarna - Goa (instead of direct to Goa) and Goa - Dandeli - Bangalore (instead of direct to Bangalore), I couldn't get the information I was looking for. Any kind and experienced souls here who can help answer these questions.
Apologies for late response. Since I have no experience of driving on Bangalore - Gokarna route, I restrained myself from commenting on your post. I hope whatever little information I could provide, will be helpful for your trip.

Once your plan is concrete, do share. I'll try to help you with sample itinerary & exact route to be followed (at least within Goa )

Is it possible for you to do Bangalore - Dandeli (Reach by evening - Spend a day) - North Goa - South Goa - Gokarna - Bangalore?

I feel spending a day at Dandeli is more fun than spending a night.

Last edited by Ertigiat : 11th October 2018 at 12:25. Reason: Elaborated Dandeli Plan
Ertigiat is offline  
Old 11th October 2018, 12:56   #4213
BHPian
 
Exhaust_Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Indeed it is a big deal now a days. Loads of road construction/bridge construction work going on between South & North. Driving through "WORK IN PROGRESS" itself is a task.



As your destination is North Goa, any particular reason for choosing this route over Chorla or Anmod route? It doesn't make any sense of travelling all the way to South Goa and then traveling towards North.

Many thanks. Which is the best and scenic route from Bangalore to.North Goa? Chorla route?

Cheers
Exhaust_Note is offline  
Old 11th October 2018, 16:53   #4214
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Many thanks. Which is the best and scenic route from Bangalore to.North Goa? Chorla route?
Yes. Chorla is definitely scenic.

Best route? Depends on what is your destination in North Goa.
Ertigiat is offline  
Old 11th October 2018, 17:25   #4215
BHPian
 
Exhaust_Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 201
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Yes. Chorla is definitely scenic.

Best route? Depends on what is your destination in North Goa.
Avshem. Booked an Airbnb there as any lower South has too much crowd. (Other option was South Goa and our fav but the other couple might find it too serene...expectations!!)

Google shows a route through Chorla, Bicholim. By passing Mapusa.
Exhaust_Note is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks