Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:45   #4051
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
I'm not sure if the route I'd be taking passes through Ramnagar-Londa, but one which Google maps shows, to pass by Dharwad byepass -> Anmod Ghat -> Mollem. Is it the same route ?
In case there is road-blockage, are there alternate options to try ?
Yes, same route.

Regarding alternate options, one is Hubli-Karwar-Panaji but you end up with having to endure lot of road widening activity from near Ankola thru Karwar upto the Goa border on the NH 66 (old NH 17). And you will need to traverse Goa from the south to North to reach Panjim.
One more is to go via Bankapura but is quite narrow at places and then ends up again on the Karwar route near Yellapura and is the same route as previous one from that point.

Other routes would be via MK Hubli and Belgaum which I'm not familiar with.

When are you traveling ? I would suggest you still plan for the Dharwad-Mollem route and also track any news about protests etc near the border and then decide as you get to Hubli (you can check at the Hubli toll booth as well and then decide to take the Karwar route or Dharwad route).

Last edited by NPV : 3rd February 2018 at 15:46.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:33   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, same route.

Regarding alternate options, one is Hubli-Karwar-Panaji but you end up with having to endure lot of road widening activity from near Ankola thru Karwar upto the Goa border on the NH 66 (old NH 17). And you will need to traverse Goa from the south to North to reach Panjim.

One more is to go via Bankapura but is quite narrow at places and then ends up again on the Karwar route near Yellapura and is the same route as previous one from that point.

Other routes would be via MK Hubli and Belgaum which I'm not familiar with.

When are you traveling ? I would suggest you still plan for the Dharwad-Mollem route and also track any news about protests etc near the border and then decide as you get to Hubli (you can check at the Hubli toll booth as well and then decide to take the Karwar route or Dharwad route).
Okay, sure. Appreciate the guidance. Checking at the Hubli toll booth is a great idea. It is perhaps the last decision-point if a somewhat reliable detour needs to be taken. Would watch out for any such news. I plan to leave early morning of 9th Feb.

Any hints on where-all to watch out for RTO speed radars. If I am not mistaken, there used to be some near/before Davangere.
Old 6th February 2018, 02:07   #4053
BHPian

Planning to Goa mid-february. My last visit (2 years back), I'd to stay overnight in Belgaum. So, took the Belgaum-Chorla-Panjim. Single Road, but very good. Don't know the current condition. But this route increases the distance by at least 35-40 kms. from Bangalore.

Speed Radars - Are they permanently fixed or Mobile ones? Hope and wish there will not be any road blockages.

Any recent changes in the Permit Fees to enter Goa for Self drive Cars? Rs. 300/- was charged, but not sure for how many days.

Last edited by jaaz : 6th February 2018 at 02:23.
Old 6th February 2018, 07:14   #4054
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Planning to Goa mid-february. My last visit (2 years back), I'd to stay overnight in Belgaum. So, took the Belgaum-Chorla-Panjim. Single Road, but very good. Don't know the current condition.
If you're starting early morning from Bangalore, you can stick to the Dharwad-Anmod route.

Quote:
Speed Radars - Are they permanently fixed or Mobile ones?
No idea about these, remember seeing an interceptor vehicle near the Hubli toll, the cops weren't checking speeds but rather stopping mini buses, taxis, etc for document checks.

Quote:
Any recent changes in the Permit Fees to enter Goa for Self drive Cars? Rs. 300/- was charged, but not sure for how many days.
No entry fee for private vehicles anymore. However, I think one still needs to pay permit fee for taxis and self drive rental cars, but not sure how much.

Last edited by NPV : 6th February 2018 at 07:16.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:11   #4055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Planning to Goa mid-february. My last visit (2 years back), I'd to stay overnight in Belgaum. So, took the Belgaum-Chorla-Panjim. Single Road, but very good. Don't know the current condition. But this route increases the distance by at least 35-40 kms. from Bangalore.
Overall, all routes leading to Goa from Karnataka are in good shape :

Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar - Goa : Southern Goa
Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Mollem - Goa : Southern Goa
Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Goa : Central (Panaji) and North Goa

However, it will really depend on what is your ultimate destination in Goa which decides the final route.

Chorla route will make you enter and exit Belgaum city. It makes immense sense if you intend to halt here for the night and continue next day.

The Anmod option is the most preferred route today, given the overall conditions of roads and the fact that this Ghat is not as narrow as Chorla and feels faster.

Quote:
Speed Radars - Are they permanently fixed or Mobile ones?
Usually the mobile ones and the famous locations are strictly between the Hebbalu and Chalageri toll booths.

The presence has been consistent but on weekends and weekdays. Once in a while you happen to miss them but generally you need to mind your speeds between these 2 booths, both during onward and return.

The famous locations where they intercept you is opposite to SS Institute of Medical Sciences and Shamanur Exit on Davanagere bypass.

Note: The Interceptors are active only after 0900/1000 and if you start your journey early and happen to pass this before this, you will obviously miss them (Or they will miss you :-) ).

Quote:
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-state_permits.jpg

Reference
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:33   #4056
Distinguished - BHPian

To add to the points Parag mentioned, there are two interceptors (Tata Winger) patrolling this section usually one on each side. If you cross both, relax.

Do not confuse this with highway patrol vehicles (Toyota Innova's) which has camera mounted on top. They usually are seen around toll booths targeting trucks.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 12:51   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I need to travel to a friend's wedding in Goa next month. So thought of combining that trip with a 3 day vacation as well. Why waste a goa trip right? I need help in route and also any suggestions for a good hotel/resort (preferably a beach front). The wedding is on a monday and place I would be going to is margoa. Plan is to start by 4 AM on saturday morning.

Not much of sight seeing planned (except probably chapora fort and couple of beaches). Does it make sense for an early morning start or a night start on friday?

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 6th February 2018 at 12:54.
Old 6th February 2018, 12:57   #4058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I need help in route and also any suggestions for a good homestay.
You need to tell us where you are heading to, In Goa for us to suggest a route .

These threads should help you on stay options:

Where to Stay? (Goa Vacation for First Timers)

Goa - Vacation for first timers (Goa Vacation for First Timers)

Quote:
Does it make sense for an early morning start or a night start on friday?
Always better for Goa is an early morning Start. Easy to tackle ghats under natural light than the day.

9-11 Hours is what one needs to reach Goa from Bangalore, depending on start time, breaks and final destination.

On sight seeing, check out NPV's detailed travelogue from his recent trip where he's captured most of the POIs.

Travelogue : Dizzy Drive to Goa (Dizzy Drive®: Go..Go..Goa, a Mini Exploration)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 13:25   #4059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You need to tell us where you are heading to, In Goa for us to suggest a route .
Thanks for the links parag. I am actually going through the accommodation thread. I had mentioned that I would be going to Margoa (to be exact it would be near the ESI hospital on the margoa-quepem road close to the the railyway station).

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa.jpg
Old 6th February 2018, 13:28   #4060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I had mentioned that I would be going to Margoa (to be exact it would be near the ESI hospital on the margoa-quepem road close to the the railyway station).
In which case you can take the usual Hubli-Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Margaon option.

Route link : Dharwad Bypass Exit to Margaon

And yes, I indeed missed Margaon in your post somehow. Apologies!

Additionally, I am quoting Suhas's update from last week picking the important bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

As soon as you enter Mollem road from Hubli bye-pass, there was police checking during both onward and return journey. First question was for PUC and when they saw it valid, was left without any other checks.
So do make sure to have the usual documents in original including a valid PUC/Emission Test Certificate when you travel.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th February 2018 at 13:33.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 19:56   #4061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Outer ring road near Kasturi Nagar is painful due to white topping work, best avoided.
You can do HSR layout-Koramangala-old airport road-ulsoor lake-St. John's Church road-Nandidurga road-mekhri circle-yeshwanthpur route.
Would it be bad even at 4:00AM ?
And normally from HSR layout to Yeshwantpur, at 4:00AM -- I guess a much better route is Hosur Road -> Palace Grounds -> Sankey Tank -> Yeshwantpur, no ? No need to touch Kasturi Nagar !

Last edited by bdutta : 8th February 2018 at 20:06. Reason: Corrected
Old 8th February 2018, 20:48   #4062
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Would it be bad even at 4:00AM ?
I found it bad a month ago around that time (since all traffic was force-fitted onto the service road). Though it was for few minutes, it was not a good experience especially when you just start out on a long drive. To each his own, I guess.

Quote:
And normally from HSR layout to Yeshwantpur, at 4:00AM -- I guess a much better route is Hosur Road -> Palace Grounds -> Sankey Tank -> Yeshwantpur, no ? No need to touch Kasturi Nagar !
This should be fine too. However, I'm not sure about status of concreting work on Hosur road, is that complete ?

In any case, check traffic on gmaps before heading out.

Last edited by NPV : 8th February 2018 at 20:54.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:52   #4063
Distinguished - BHPian

I too would suggest taking the route through town.

From HSR side, I usually take Old airport road or ORR to reach Ulsoor lake > Millers road > Right at Canara bank/ Mosque / Mahindra First choice > Proceed till TV tower > Mehkri circle > IISC > Tumkur road.

Felt it faster than other options. May be since there are no long distance bus traffic, or the usual cab traffic. Also since I am familiar with that route as such to avoid flying over any speed breakers.

Irrespective of the route you take through town -

- Don't take ORR if white topping is not completed around Hennur area (Dont know if the status, there been news of road opening and also of a new stretch to be started). Someone who was starting from Whitefield during Jan 26 weekend took this route and got delayed by around half hour after loosing their way getting in to by-lanes around Kasturinagar. This was around 04:00 AM.

- Don't take NICE road since you will end up wasting time at Rs 20 toll when you enter Tumkur road from NICE road. It was a mess last time I traveled, forcing me to drive further ~5 KMS on service road and join the next toll.
Old 13th February 2018, 14:10   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys - I’m starting to Goa on 23Feb and staying in Humblebee Inns Avanti. I would like to know the following;

1) how are the roads starting from Nice road through my destination? Are they in good condition and have to pass through Hubli bypass?
2) gmaps suggests it would take approx 11 hours from Nice Road.
3) anything else that I should be aware of?
Old 13th February 2018, 14:22   #4065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
staying in Humblebee Inns Avanti.
Quote:
1) how are the roads starting from Nice road through my destination?
Roads are good throughout.

Your ideal route should be this:
  • Bangalore (NICE) - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji - Humblebee Inns
  • Of this, the usual route till Hubli bypass remains in good shape, and is a dual carriageway
  • Hubli Bypass is single carriageway, also in good condition where you need to drive ~26 Kms before you exit this bypass for Goa Road (towards Alnavar)
  • Alnavar to Ramnagar is a state highway & a tolled road which is again single carriageway. The route itself is good but there are speedbreakers at regular instances
  • At least 2 (or 3?) Railway gates to pass through
  • Beyond Ramnagar, the Londa - Anmod - Mollem section is going to be twisty but not as narrow as Chorla Ghats; Route condtions = Good
Quote:
Are they in good condition and have to pass through Hubli bypass?
The most straightforward & less confusing option is to take the Hubli Bypass and exit after 26 kms (after entry toll) as advised above.

Quote:
2) gmaps suggests it would take approx 11 hours from Nice Road.
Is reasonable, with breaks. Usually Bangalore - Goa depending on time and destination is always 9-11 hours affair under normal cruising speed and breaks.

Quote:
3) anything else that I should be aware of?
Also refer to the latest update from mpksuhas on the same route here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Started from Nelamangala toll around 05:15 AM, stopped at Aporva for around 40 mins and another 10 mins at Rannebannur BP COCO. Reached Dudhsagar resort, Mollem around 01:00 PM for lunch.

There is a flyover work at Ponda, but nothing to be alarmed of. Return was also on the same route, took around 3 hours to reach Hubli byepass from Colva.

There is road work ongoing on NH 17 / 66 at few sections around Panaji as per few others I met during the weekend, they were also not sure of the exact location since they were redirected by police before the closure.

As soon as you enter Mollem road from Hubli bye-pass, there was police checking during both onward and return journey. First question was for PUC and when they saw it valid, was left without any other checks.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th February 2018 at 14:25.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks