Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 11:21   #4036
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Does anybody know the road condition of the usual Anmod route from Dharwad? I heard there was some work in progress and hence vehicles were going across via MK Hubli/Kittur to Khanapur and then to Anmod. Is that work still going on?
I have not taken that route for more than 6 months and hence do not have recent idea. If that work is still on then taking Yellapur route via Bankapur will be a better choice for me for south Goa.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:35   #4037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Does anybody know the road condition of the usual Anmod route from Dharwad?.
Quote:
I heard there was some work in progress and hence vehicles were going across via MK Hubli/Kittur to Khanapur and then to Anmod. Is that work still going on?
I don't this is the case. A colleague was in Goa last month during Xmas eve and had taken the same route via Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem (Anmod) route and I just confirmed with him too.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 11:41   #4038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anybody know the road condition of the usual Anmod route from Dharwad? I heard there was some work in progress and hence vehicles were going across via MK Hubli/Kittur to Khanapur and then to Anmod. Is that work still going on?
I have not taken that route for more than 6 months and hence do not have recent idea. If that work is still on then taking Yellapur route via Bankapur will be a better choice for me for south Goa.
I used this route to go to North Goa for the new year's and the road was fine, no problems albeit a bit slow but that is how it would be always I guess.

If its South Goa, then isn't going via Karwar faster?
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:35   #4039
Distinguished - BHPian

No issues in Anmod route. Took the route for a weekend drive, onward was on 26 Jan and return on 28 Jan.

Started from Nelamangala toll around 05:15 AM, stopped at Aporva for around 40 mins and another 10 mins at Rannebannur BP COCO. Reached Dudhsagar resort, Mollem around 01:00 PM for lunch.

There is a flyover work at Ponda, but nothing to be alarmed of. Return was also on the same route, took around 3 hours to reach Hubli byepass from Colva.

Goa entry charge of Rs 250 is not collected now, not sure if it was reported earlier. I was not aware of that.

There is road work ongoing on NH 17 / 66 at few sections around Panaji as per few others I met during the weekend, they were also not sure of the exact location since they were redirected by police before the closure.

As soon as you enter Mollem road from Hubli bye-pass, there was police checking during both onward and return journey. First question was for PUC and when they saw it valid, was left without any other checks.

Hubli bye-pass now require you to pay full rate (Rs 67) irrespective of the exit you take. Earlier there was differential rates for Ramnagar / Mollem exit.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 13:21   #4040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Goa entry charge of Rs 250 is not collected now, not sure if it was reported earlier. I was not aware of that.
Been quite some time now and reported here many times. I recollect this was due to GST or something related to that.

Quote:
Hubli bye-pass now require you to pay full rate (Rs 67) irrespective of the exit you take. Earlier there was differential rates for Ramnagar / Mollem exit.
Are you sure? All my drives to Goa, I have always paid full toll for Ramnagar exit (popularly known as Goa Road) because I was being told so by the booth operator himself. Plus, this exit is situated just 4 kms ahead of the final exit (26 kms of 30 kms bypass).
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 14:25   #4041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
All my drives to Goa, I have always paid full toll for Ramnagar exit (popularly known as Goa Road) because I was being told so by the booth operator himself. Plus, this exit is situated just 4 kms ahead of the final exit (26 kms of 30 kms bypass).
Yes, it was different. I remember they used to have different color toll receipt booklet. Don't remember the difference, but this was some 4 years back. After that all drives was through Chorla, hence full rate.

If I am having the toll details mentioned in my timing book will check and update the amount.

Infact, I specifically asked the toll guy last Friday on rate to Ramnagar exit. On him informing that it is same, I too had a doubt. Checked with TBHPian Avinash who was part of our group and he too confirmed that there was differential rate earlier.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 14:37   #4042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it was different. I remember they used to have different color toll receipt booklet. Don't remember the difference, but this was some 4 years back. After that all drives was through Chorla, hence full rate.
This is certainly interesting. I don't recollect exactly when I started to take Ramnagar route. The first time I took this was by fluke as I ended up doing Khanapur - Anmod instead of Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla and hence had paid the entire toll. This was in 2013. Later to that, I regulary started to take the Ramnagar route only (with Chorla few times) everytime my destination was around Colva and I recollected how the operator asked me to pay the entire amount for Goa road exit.

Talk about the inconsistencies above hyper exorbitant toll . These guys are the masters!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 18:01   #4043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The first time I took this was by fluke as I ended up doing Khanapur - Anmod instead of Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla and hence had paid the entire toll
The rates of 2 lane bye-pass is strangely about Rs 2 / KM compared to average of around 90 paise for NHAI 4 laned highway.

That said, NH widening / re alignment work is ongoing around Ponda towards Mollem for few KM's. Once this is done hope it is faster to cross Ponda. Innumerable speed breakers between Hubli - Ramnagar and also two unfinished railway over bridge slows you down though.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 18:19   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rates of 2 lane bye-pass is strangely about Rs 2 / KM compared to average of around 90 paise for NHAI 4 laned highway.
In case you want to take the Ankola route post Hubli toll, will they charge full amount now? It was some 30'ish rupees if I remember. This road is hardly one or two KM post the toll towards left.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 30th January 2018 at 18:21.
Old 30th January 2018, 18:24   #4045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In case you want to take the Ankola route post Hubli toll, will they charge full amount now? It was some 20'ish rupees if I remember. This road is hardly a KM post the toll towards left.
I am not sure of the same. From the tariff mentioned at the toll booth there is no difference as of now. However, paying up Rs 67 for few KM's takes this road to its sister concern - NICE road's category.
Old 30th January 2018, 18:30   #4046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed. They have been regularly increasing the fare and doing nothing about expanding this. I had asked them about 4 laning and the booth staff laughed!

Quote:
Innumerable speed breakers between Hubli - Ramnagar and also two unfinished railway over bridge slows you down though.
A good road that gets bad with such speedbreakers. Few of them are exactly at the summit of a climb just after a long fast section.

Regarding the Railway Bridges, I remember three were undone (2 Undone and 3rd one not even started) and once only because I left home at 0530 I ended up waiting at both the gates (for different trains though) killing an easy 40 minutes.

Quote:
In case you want to take the Ankola route post Hubli toll, will they charge full amount now? It was some 30'ish rupees if I remember. This road is hardly one or two KM post the toll towards left.
No they do not and they wont for whatever reason.

The case with Ramnagar exit is different because it is the last exit before the bypass ends and when you exit here, you have already gobbled up more than 85% of the bypass anyway and they thought lets charge them full!

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th January 2018 at 18:32.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:31   #4047
BHPian

Stopped over at this relatively new (to me) place just before Chitradurga, on the right side when going from Bangalore, just after the windmills/VRL depot, with clean restrooms and excellent coffee & bonda soup btw

Upadya Veg

With no good places to stop after leaving Tumkur (or Bangalore itself, since we don't prefer to stop within 1 hour of leaving anyways at Tumkur), this is a refreshing place : much better than mysore cafe after Chitradurga.

PS: Cross posting from BLR-MUMBAI thread for everyone's benefit

Last edited by null : 2nd February 2018 at 11:36.
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 17:29   #4048
BHPian

Heading up to Panjim, starting from Bangalore (HSR Layout). Plan to start by 3:30-4:00AM. I guess, at that time I do not need to take NICE hwy, and instead can go via Yeshwantpur, Neelmangala to join NH48, right ?

Are there some specific points on the route to watch out for RTO speed-radars ?

Also on the way back, if we were to start around 10:30AM from Panjim, what might be a good place to stop for lunch (say around 2/2:30PM) ? Ideally a place with good clean restrooms ?
Old 2nd February 2018, 18:32   #4049
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Heading up to Panjim, starting from Bangalore (HSR Layout). Plan to start by 3:30-4:00AM. I guess, at that time I do not need to take NICE hwy, and instead can go via Yeshwantpur, Neelmangala to join NH48, right ?

Are there some specific points on the route to watch out for RTO speed-radars ?

Also on the way back, if we were to start around 10:30AM from Panjim, what might be a good place to stop for lunch (say around 2/2:30PM) ? Ideally a place with good clean restrooms ?
Outer ring road near Kasturi Nagar is painful due to white topping work, best avoided.
You can do HSR layout-Koramangala-old airport road-ulsoor lake-St. John's Church road-Nandidurga road-mekhri circle-yeshwanthpur route.

Assuming you're taking the Hubli-Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa route - do keep a watch for news on any road blockages, there was one just a couple days ago near the Karnataka-Goa border to protest the river water issue.

If you're taking the same route back with a 10:30am start, you will be in the middle of the forest section and hardly any options for lunch, maybe the Dudhsagar resort is an option ?
Or you need to get back onto the Dharwad-hubli bypass where there is a decent hotel (unable to recollect the name). Otherwise just after Hubli toll you can stop at Hotel The Cult on right side that has an Indian paratha company outlet.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd February 2018 at 18:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:32   #4050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Outer ring road near Kasturi Nagar is painful due to white topping work, best avoided.
You can do HSR layout-Koramangala-old airport road-ulsoor lake-St. John's Church road-Nandidurga road-mekhri circle-yeshwanthpur route.
Excellent advice, will take that route. Indeed would have gone through Kasturinagara otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Assuming you're taking the Hubli-Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa route - do keep a watch for news on any road blockages, there was one just a couple days ago near the Karnataka-Goa border to protest the river water issue.
Oh, that's a bummer. I'm not sure if the route I'd be taking passes through Ramnagar-Londa, but one which Google maps shows, to pass by Dharwad byepass -> Anmod Ghat -> Mollem. Is it the same route ?
In case there is road-blockage, are there alternate options to try ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks