Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2014, 17:26   #2536
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
After this, When I checked google it shows different route instead of the one via Belgaum?
Attachment 1220165
You can trust Google Maps or you can trust a fellow TBHPian with more accurate route conditions.

Your choice!!!
Quote:
I'm planning Bangalore - Goa(Calangute) - Bangalore in car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
it's another 3.5 hrs from there to Calangute via Belgaum-Chorla-Mapusa. The road is very quick till Belgaum, good roads from Belgaum till KA border, decent but narrow roads through the ghats till Goa.
Choose via Belgaum & Chorla for the best route. Period!!!
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 22:30   #2537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After this, When I checked google it shows different route instead of the one via Belgaum?
You have two options. If you are heading south Goa you can take Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-South Goa. Fantastic roads all the way. For north Chorla route Belgaum is a better options. For both the options roads are good.
Old 17th March 2014, 00:13   #2538
Distinguished - BHPian

I am back from Goa last weekend. Undoubtedly the Chorla option works best for central and North Goa. Complete road from Belgaum to Chorla is in great condition now with zero pot holes.

Of course, I avoided Belgaum by deviating from Jamboti towards Khanapur and then to Alnavar and finally touching NH4 at the end of Dharwad bypass.

The Jamboti Khanapur road is undergoing repair works and is bad for around 5 to 6 kms and once this is ready it can be claimed as the best option to escape crossing Belgaum.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 05:59   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You have two options. If you are heading south Goa you can take Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-South Goa. Fantastic roads all the way. For north Chorla route Belgaum is a better options. For both the options roads are good.
Thanks for the helping a newbie to this route. I will take Belgaum - Chorla route.

My onward journey is to Calangute while return journey starts from Panjim. So looks like I could take same route while returning also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am back from Goa last weekend. Undoubtedly the Chorla option works best for central and North Goa. Complete road from Belgaum to Chorla is in great condition now with zero pot holes.

Of course, I avoided Belgaum by deviating from Jamboti towards Khanapur and then to Alnavar and finally touching NH4 at the end of Dharwad bypass.

The Jamboti Khanapur road is undergoing repair works and is bad for around 5 to 6 kms and once this is ready it can be claimed as the best option to escape crossing Belgaum.
Thanks, If possible could you also share how long it took for you?
Old 17th March 2014, 08:05   #2540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Break it to sessions

- 4 Hours to Ranebennur Kamat (~330km)
- ~1.5 Hours to Hubli by pass entry (110km)
- 40-45 minutes to Alnavar exit on the bypass.

Now from Hubli bypass you can do the Alnavar exit and do Jamboti via Khanapur or drive all the way to Belgaum. Take the exit at hotel Sankam take the SH to Jamboti. Distance wise not that big a deal, but if you go via Alnavar you get to avoid the city of Belgaum. However if you are heading on the long road (500+ km) for the first time, I would say drive to Belgaum. Gives you one more place to look for a break if you need. Thats about ~1.15 hour from end of Dharwad bypass to Belgaum. The route from Belgaum to Calangute via Chorla should take about 2.5-3 hours max. Check with others who have gone recently.

Last edited by ampere : 17th March 2014 at 08:07.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 09:30   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Go with what amp says. It ideally works good.

I am more than regular on this part of NH4 as I do Pune-Bangalore quite regularly and so my breaks are usually very less.
We started from Seshadripuram around 5:30AM and were having breakfast at Kamat before Hubli at 9:30AM. We were in Candolim by 2:30PM. So that's about 9 hours door to door including one breakfast break and a refueling break at Khanapur (for which we had to head inside and come back to join NH4A).

I took Hubli-Alnavar-Khanapur-NH4A-Mollem-Ponda-Panaji route for my onward Journey.

For return, I chose Old Goa-Sanquelim-Chorla-Jamboti-Khanapur-Alnavar-Hubli Bypass option.

The Turn off from Jamboti to Khanapur has bad patches at least for 6 kms and a few may not come back and post good things about this considering how good the Chorla stands as of now, especially after the KA side was completely redone.

As for us, I would prefer that 6 kms bad stretch (which was undergoing repair works anyways) over crossing the pain called Belgaum on Monday noon.

We started from Candolim at 10:30AM and stopped for lunch at the same Kamat after Hubli at 14:30 and were at Nelemangala at 19:00 hours.

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th March 2014 at 09:38.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:59   #2542
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone going to be on this route on March 23rd? I am going to be driving to the second home this sunday.

Being a frequent person on this route, I prefer to take BLR-BGM-Chorla-Sanquelim but this time I am taking slight deviation. Route snapshot below -

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-sanquelimroute.png

Route is built based on feedback from few Tbhpians who have been there in last two weeks. Sanquelim is my destination

I leave from south bangalore from home by 8.30am. Yeah, lazy sunday.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:16   #2543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Route is built based on feedback from few Tbhpians who have been there in last two weeks. Sanquelim is my destination
I had taken this exact route on my return from Goa on 10th March.
Jamboti-Khanapur which is 18 kms has bad patches in bits and pieces but trust me, you wont complain about this at all. By now (after 2 weeks), I am also hoping that whatever leveling work they were doing on this stretch should have been accomplished.

Rest of the road, including Turn off from NH4 to Alnavar and Khanapur and the Jamboti-Sanquelim is excellent as you are aware of.

Have a safe trip!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 09:24   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Parag.

It took me around 9hrs home to home yesterday. The route i highlighted is amazing. And as you said the stretch between Khanaour and Jamboti is actually horrible. The gravel and stones on that 18km work in progress stretch is bad for sedans. You can't go beyond 10kmph or there is a risk of stone hitting under! All other stretches are breeze and perfect. Only for this broken khanapur-jamboti stretch, i would prefer NH4-Belgaum-Chorla. Thats going to be my return route this thursday!

OT - I saw a verna KA49 in chorla driving at low speed and still not letting anyone overtaking, I almost lost my patience and overtook him in a crazy way. My bad but you need to watch out sometimes for the cars that go slow on chorla and block roads. I am sure my overtaking must have given him scare. But I now feel sorry for him. He maybe just enjoying the nature in ghats after all unaware of other cars on road!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 09:34   #2545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Only for this broken khanapur-jamboti stretch, i would prefer NH4-Belgaum-Chorla. Thats going to be my return route this thursday!
Makes sense. If not for driving pleasure I wont advise this route. We neither gain time, nor got a good road advantage. Chorla/Belgaum or the Ankola/Hubli options anyday.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:26   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I had taken this exact route on my return from Goa on 10th March.
Jamboti-Khanapur which is 18 kms has bad patches in bits and pieces but trust me, you wont complain about this at all. By now (after 2 weeks), I am also hoping that whatever leveling work they were doing on this stretch should have been accomplished.

Rest of the road, including Turn off from NH4 to Alnavar and Khanapur and the Jamboti-Sanquelim is excellent as you are aware of.

Have a safe trip!
Does anyone have latest update on the condition of Jamboti-Khanapur section? I plan to do this on the 12th April when I do Goa-Bangalore.
If this road is still bad then I will have to go through Belgaum. Any suggestions on the best route through the city to hit the NH4 highway to Bangalore?
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:23   #2547
BHPian

Guys,
I'm just back from my trip.

I took bangalore-belgum-chorla-goa route for my onward journey, it took 09:30 to reach calangute. This is with a breakfast at hotel Apoorva (new one near Devengere). The total distance was 638kms from JP Nagar 7th Phase to Calangute. Also I spend 30 mins to cross belgaum.

After a chat with an KA driver at baga, I decided to take Panjim-Ponda-Molem-Ramnagar-Bangalore route. With a lunch break it took 08:30 mins to reach JP Nagar 7th Phase, Blr. There are pot holes which we need to be careful otherwise it's manageable, also this looks to favorite for many bangalore people, Since the distance is short(595kms) with less travel time.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:16   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I'm just back from my trip.....After a chat with an KA driver at baga, I decided to take Panjim-Ponda-Molem-Ramnagar-Bangalore route. With a lunch break it took 08:30 mins to reach JP Nagar 7th Phase, Blr. There are pot holes which we need to be careful otherwise it's manageable, also this looks to favorite for many bangalore people, Since the distance is short(595kms) with less travel time.
Many thanks. I have also been told by another taxi driver that the Molem-Ramnagar route is quite good. Specifically could you describe in details the rout after Ramnagar? I have been told Ramnagar-Alnavar-Dharwad is now a toll road?
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:59   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Does anyone have latest update on the condition of Jamboti-Khanapur section? I plan to do this on the 12th April when I do Goa-Bangalore.
I returned from there on March 27 - Its absolutely pathetic for at least 7-8 Kms. I don't expect it to have changed in 10 days as I didn't see any construction activities around there So unless someone does this stretch again before you start, assume it has not changed and so suggest to go through Belgaum.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:55   #2550
BHPian

Hello Members

I am planning to do Blr - Goa - Coorg - Blr the week after next. Having gone through the usual Blr - Haveri - Yellapur - Karwar route many times before, I decided to explore a different one and came up with this :

Bangalore - Tumkur - Arsikere - Bhadravathi - Siddapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem.

Having never gone through the hinterland, request the members here to highlight the positives and negatives of going this route ? I will be traveling with my wife. And I am looking to drive through some scenic landscapes, even if it entails a longer distance.

From Goa to Coorg, again an alternate route option I can see is:

Palolem - Karwar - Kumta - Honnavar - sagara - Thirthahalli - Mudigere - Sakleshpur - Somwarpet - Kodagu.

Can anyone please guide which would be the ideal routes to take and why ? Many thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks