Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 11:33   #3886
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Visiting Goa in August but planning to go via Amboli. Quick question on the route to take from Belgaum. I found the Bauxite road to be most convenient since very less circles and intersections to cross and struggle if there is any traffic during that time in Belgaum.
My question is on the feasibility of taking the Bauxite road to hit the Sawantwadi road and same road while coming back as well. Should I go ahead with this route? Any help is appreciated.
Parag And Swapnil have already given the right inputs, you can stick to the usual route as well. As far as Bauxite road is concerned, I had written a long post on this last year in this particular thread but it's difficult for me to find that page now.

Bauxite road is very much feasible in terms of having less traffic, straight roads, absolutely no traffic signals and not requiring to turn left or right anywhere. You would save about 15 mins taking this route. Once you reach Belgaum bypass, it takes 5 more mins to hit Bauxite road by continuing on NH4 and 15 mins max to cross Bauxite road (8 kms long) and hit the road to Amboli thereby totally bypassing the core areas of the city. The road has been widened past more than a year and was in a very good shape two months back. Earlier it used to be in a bad shape but not anymore. Though longer, this is slightly faster than the city route but surely better in terms of traffic and absence of signals. I don't think so the road might have turned bad in these rains. Will get back with the most latest updates by tomorrow.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 11:44   #3887
BHPian

@rajivtelang I myself checked out Bauxite road,Belgaum yesterday. It's in a decent to good condition, absolutely nothing to worry about. I would surely recommend this route to you OR anyone coming from Bangalore side and wanting to head to Amboli ghats. Saves the hassles of traffic and signals.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 19:34   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I too will be driving to Goa on 12th Aug and back on 15 Aug.
I am planning to go during the Ganesha festival. Tentative plan is to start around 8am on 24th and return back on 27th Sunday. Totally 4 people me, wife, two kids. Using the info here to plan the journey as my idea is to stop at some of the spots listed here and take it in.
Old 31st July 2017, 11:59   #3889
BHPian

Having gone through this thread, I understand it's the default route that Google Maps asks you to take while driving to South Goa? Here is what I have, is it all right? I plan to drive on 8th August, start around 4am.

I'd have the family with me, so sedate driving is all that is in order. Any suggestions on the route? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-route.jpg  

Old 31st July 2017, 12:34   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I'd have the family with me, so sedate driving is all that is in order. Any suggestions on the route? Thanks!
The Image doesn't show the via points clearly but I am guessing its asking you to take the Hubli Dharwad Bypass and then to Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem to get to your destination? If so, this should be OK.

However, do let us know the final destination - Where exactly in South Goa. I say this because you can as well consider Hubli Bypass - Kalhatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa.

This route will be easy on curves, wide (although not the fastest) as compared to Anmod or any other ghat.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 13:30   #3891
Senior - BHPian

I am in Goa at present and took the Anmod route yesterday. Route is perfectly great throughout. Some work of NH4 lane repairs between Haveri and Hubli by scratching the road surface for one lane at a time but that does not affect driveability.
There is no great rain as well. I encountered heavy rain in some sections of ghat and medium rains most of the times after taking the Goa road from Dharwad.
PS: Did not see a single interceptor vehicle for speed restrictions after so many years on NH4
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:13   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Image doesn't show the via points clearly but I am guessing its asking you to take the Hubli Dharwad Bypass and then to Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem to get to your destination? If so, this should be OK.

However, do let us know the final destination - Where exactly in South Goa. I say this because you can as well consider Hubli Bypass - Kalhatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa.

This route will be easy on curves, wide (although not the fastest) as compared to Anmod or any other ghat.
Here is the link to Google Maps (Starts near Apoorva resorts, as an example)

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/14...1502164800!3e0

I am staying at Club Mahindra, Varca - if that helps in giving any suggestions. The priority are good (wide) and safer roads rather than time.

Again, attached is the enlarged section as you had asked. Please do suggest. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-route2.jpg  

Last edited by pratyush6 : 31st July 2017 at 14:16.
Old 31st July 2017, 14:17   #3893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am staying at Club Mahindra, Varca - if that helps in giving any suggestions. The priority are good (wide) and safer roads rather than time.
Go ahead and take the route suggested - Anmod Ghat route that is.

Road conditions are good to excellent. Apart from that make sure that the last 2.5 Hours after you deviate off NH4 on Hubli Bypass, you plan your breaks well as there are not much (good) facilities till you hit the border.

Otherwise, this is a good route to drive with family, No second thoughts on that.

When I had driven to CM Varca 2 years before, we took the same route but even after this trip and many more that followed, I have had a habit to leave between 0400 or 0430 so that you can easily be at Varca for lunch with normal cruising speeds (100-110) and a breakfast break with a refueling break (If range is lesser).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:51   #3894
Senior - BHPian

I had to visit Goa over weekend due to very urgent work and came back yesterday night. I took the Anmod route to-fro since had to go to south Goa (Madgaon). Route is great throughout. Found very little fog in the ghat sections and nothing alarming. Ghat road is bit rough on Karnataka side and you may need to deal with very less number of bad spots only if some big truck comes from other side while climbing the ghat.
While returning I took 3 halts due to bad health. There are a couple of coffee shops immediately after the Karnataka check post after crossing the RTO checkpost after entering Karnataka. You get simple snacks there. Next one was after Hubli at Varur, Kamat Upachar on left side and next after Sira, again Kamat Upachar on left side.
The road that connects to Madgaon via Ponda road (NH-4A) is having some bad to very bad sections due to ongoing work. Rest whole road is in very good condition and highly recommended for south Goa visit.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:06   #3895
BHPian

Had been to Goa on the 21st July and returned on 30th July. Following was the routes taken:

Onward journey -
HSR Layout -> NICE -> Chitradurga -> Hubli -> Dharwad -> MK Hubli -> Khanapur -> Chorla -> Bicholim -> Siolim

Total time taken - Started at 5 AM and reached Siolim at 4:00 PM with 45 mins break for breakfast.
MK Hubli to Khanapur stretch is horrible. Narrow and lot of potholes. Would suggest avoiding this stretch.

Return journey -
Siolim -> Bicholim -> Chorla -> Jamboti -> Belgaum -> Dharwad -> Hubli -> Chitradurga -> NICE -> HSR Layout.

Total time taken - Started at 11:30 AM and reached HSR at 12:30 AM with 1 hour break for lunch at Saffron Belgaum and 30 min break for coffee at CCD (close to Ranebennur).

If going to North Goa i would suggest taking the route via Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla since the roads are really good on this stretch.
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:21   #3896
BHPian

Hi Guys, a very basic query but I am new to Bangalore. When you enter NICE road from Hosur Road, toll attendant asks where do I want to go, Mysore road or Karnak Pura road. What should I tell him for my trip to Goa?
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:22   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
Hi Guys, a very basic query but I am new to Bangalore. When you enter NICE road from Hosur Road, toll attendant asks where do I want to go, Mysore road or Karnak Pura road. What should I tell him for my trip to Goa?
It is Tumkur road, the last exit
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:25   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
You need to go all the way to the Tumkur road exit at the end of NICE road. So the sequence of toll gates for you from EC/Hosur road toll gate would be Bannerghatta Road > Kanakpura Road > Mysore Road > Magadi Road > Tumkur Road.

Not saying that you cannot go to Goa from either Kanakpura or Mysore road, but it would take too much time.

As you are new to NICE road, after the Tumkur road exit ensure that you take the exit ramp on your left which will take you towards Tumkur/Nelamangala. If you head straight instead, you will land up in the direction going towards Bangalore (Yeshwantpur).
Old 9th August 2017, 14:55   #3899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Go ahead and take the route suggested - Anmod Ghat route that is.

Road conditions are good to excellent. Apart from that make sure that the last 2.5 Hours after you deviate off NH4

When I had driven to CM Varca 2 years before, we took the same route but even after this trip and many more that followed, I have had a habit to leave between 0400 or 0430 so that you can easily be at Varca for lunch with normal cruising speeds (100-110) and a breakfast break with a refueling break (If range is lesser).
Can confirm this route is good, except when the highway turns to a single lane the moment you leave NH4. Those 20 odd kms are bad with trucks hogging the road. The ghat section is superb, if any one is worried about it being too steep, you need not.
I ended up leaving at 7am and with 3 long breaks (about an hour each) I reached CM Varca just before 8pm. So the driving time in anywhere around 9 to 9.5 hours. Also Google suggests a really bad 5km stretch, I'll probably post a screenshot of the bad road in another post.

Also along the route, strictly avoid Ghar Dhaba, alongside BPCL Bunk. Felt that it is a side hustle for drug dealers
The servers seemed in shock and in daze at 12.30pm.
There are far better options down the road.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 14:58   #3900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also along the route, strictly avoid Ghar Dhaba, alongside BPCL Bunk. Felt that it is a side hustle for drug dealers
The servers seemed in shock and in daze at 12.30pm.
Indeed. It is no more the same "Ghar" which were synonymous with BPCL COCOs. A little ahead, you have Deol Punjabi Hotel or a CCD at Shiggaon anyway.

Little before this you have Kamat at Ranebennur who has been consistent (Good) till now.

Most of the options are listed here, at least till you turn off from NH4:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th August 2017 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks