Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2017, 13:47   #3811
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Dear fellow BHPians,

Will be heading Canacona, South Goa on 22nd March. Last/latest three reported trips on Hubli/Bankapur - yellapur - ankola - karwar route I find are following :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
...on 3rd Dec (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
...on 2nd January (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
...on 16th January (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

One of the post above reports concerns about road condition, particularly the ghat section, and other two don't speak of (may be fine) road conditions. Also, sometime back I remember road construction/4-laning being reported on Ankola - karwar stretch, which was said as impediment for average-speed/time-taken/driving-stress.

If somebody have latest update on road conditions of Hubli - Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Ankola- Karwar route, and/or an idea about length and degree of road construction stretch and it's obstruction respectively, it will be useful for being mentally prepared for same.

Thanks.

Last edited by Throtttle : 12th March 2017 at 14:00.
Old 12th March 2017, 17:15   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Will be heading Canacona, South Goa on 22nd March...it will be useful for being mentally prepared for same.
I have not heard anything big on the 4-lane construction in Karwar stretch. I believe you can safely stick to Blore-Hubli-Yellapur (not Bankapur)-Karwar-Canacona. Also, you will hit Canacona much sooner if you approach it from south, thus negating whatever delays you may face due to lane widening. So, this route is your (kind of) only choice. Anmod route is a distant second choice. If you decide to take Anmod route, let us know and we will try to pitch in with relevant inputs.

If I were you, I would still wait for other people to update the latest on the road widening status and related tales (just to be sure).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 10:16   #3813
BHPian

We are heading to Goa during the last week of March with the kids in tow. Based on the earlier posts of this tread, the following seems to be the best route.

Planned Route : BG Road, Bangalore - Tumkur - Hubli - Londa - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji - Calangute

Need some advice on the restaurants and hubli
Onward:
1. Planning to start around 1pm from source and reach Hubli for night halt. What is best route to enter hubli? I need to reach The President Hotel. Should I take Gokul Road - 80 Ft road or fork at Gabbur?
2. Enroute what is the best place to stop for refreshments? Say after 3 hrs of driving? Any decent highway stops near Chitradurga/Davangere?

Return
1. Planning to start around 10 am in Calangute. Where to break for lunch? Will I be able to reach Dharwad by 1 - 1:30pm? Any recommendations?
Old 16th March 2017, 22:03   #3814
BHPian

Hi Rajakumar,
We (Wife, kid and me) too are planning to head for Goa on the 28th of March (Tuesday) . Planning to leave Banaglore by 3PM. Night halt planned at Clarks Inn Hubli.

There are a few decent spots in Davangere, but you need to take a detour inside the city (near the Bapuji Group Institutes)

Hubli-Dharwad to Goa should ideally take 3 to 3.5 hours at a leisurely pace through the Ponda - Mollem - Anmod route. So if you leave Calangute by 10AM, you should be in Hubli by 1 PM or latest 1:30 PM

Regards,

Samish
Old 16th March 2017, 22:24   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Hi Rajakumar,
We (Wife, kid and me) too are planning to head for Goa on the 28th of March (Tuesday) . Planning to leave Banaglore by 3PM. Night halt planned at Clarks Inn Hubli.

There are a few decent spots in Davangere, but you need to take a detour inside the city (near the Bapuji Group Institutes)

Hubli-Dharwad to Goa should ideally take 3 to 3.5 hours at a leisurely pace through the Ponda - Mollem - Anmod route. So if you leave Calangute by 10AM, you should be in Hubli by 1 PM or latest 1:30 PM

Regards,

Samish
We are starting on 26th. I think it is not worth a detour for a refreshment. I was trying to find any recommended stop in the highway itself.
Old 16th March 2017, 23:43   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
2. Enroute what is the best place to stop for refreshments? Say after 3 hrs of driving? Any decent highway stops near Chitradurga/Davangere?

Return
1. Planning to start around 10 am in Calangute. Where to break for lunch? Will I be able to reach Dharwad by 1 - 1:30pm? Any recommendations?
Please refer this awesome post for the information.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 09:58   #3817
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any decent highway stops near Chitradurga/Davangere?
Just after Chitradurga town bypass on NH48, you will see a big junction and lake on left (Murugha Mutt). Don't turn left here (goes to NH13 towards Bhadravati/Shimoga), but continue straight on the NH48 and after about 3Km, on the service road is Mysore Café. The other landmark is that it is almost next door to the Nijalingappa memorial. The place is marked on gmaps as well:
https://goo.gl/maps/VS4o8DnVtn62

For other options look at the post that Grand Drive shared.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 10:47   #3818
BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice on the restaurants and hubli
What is best route to enter hubli? I need to reach The President Hotel. Should I take Gokul Road - 80 Ft road or fork at Gabbur?
Inside Hubli, I will advice to take main roads instead of any alternate/secondary roads. I suggest to go straight at Gabbur fork(fork's right), use that main road throughout to reach The President Hotel, it is shortest and almost straight road to the hotel, though goes from inside the city. Alternate routes may not gain you any significant time and would have other time-killers apart from being longer than above route. I have regretted not taking main road once.
Quote:
After 3 hours of drive, that best fits is Mysore cafe on left side after Chitradurga, fine place, ok food, maintained restroom, ample parking, easy to stop and resume(access from highway). If you want to stop still further around Dhavangere, you have options of Apoorva Resorts and CCD Just before Dhavangere bypass.

Quote:
Return
With a 10am start from Calangute you shall reach NH4 at dharwad latest by 1:30pm. After another half an hour of drive, an apt place for lunch can be Kamat Varur.

Last edited by Throtttle : 17th March 2017 at 10:52.
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 18:17   #3819

Hey !! Am driving to Panjim from Bannerghatta tonight ( would start at 3-4 AM). Anything I should prepare myself for ?
PS- Anyone willing to join me and my Linea, in the drive is quite

TIA
Old 2nd April 2017, 14:31   #3820
BHPian

I am planning for a Goa trip in Mid April. The start from Bangalore would be at about 3.30am, hence planning to have the first break at Mysore Cafe after Chitradurga or at Kamat closer to Ranebennur depending on the time. Need info on any pitstops after the turn from Dharwad towards Anmod? Also would like to know of reliable bunks near Hubli-Dharwad.
Old 2nd April 2017, 19:48   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I am planning for a Goa trip in Mid April. The start from Bangalore would be at about 3.30am, hence planning to have the first break at Mysore Cafe after Chitradurga or at Kamat closer to Ranebennur depending on the time. Need info on any pitstops after the turn from Dharwad towards Anmod? Also would like to know of reliable bunks near Hubli-Dharwad.
When you turn left on NH 4 after Dharwad towards Ramnagar on Goa road there is one HP bunk in less than a km. I usually fill up there. But do not go for too much fuel here since in next 100 odd kms you will enter Goa and can save some bucks due to fuel price difference. There are some more bunks further but never tried and hence may not be able to comment or pin point their locations.
For pit stop right at Anmod there are a few coffee shops on the road itself if you want to go for quick tea, misal pao or bhajji sort of snacks etc.
Old 4th April 2017, 23:07   #3822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
When you turn left on NH 4 after Dharwad towards Ramnagar on Goa road there is one HP bunk in less than a km. I usually fill up there. But do not go for too much fuel here since in next 100 odd kms you will enter Goa and can save some bucks due to fuel price difference. There are some more bunks further but never tried and hence may not be able to comment or pin point their locations.
For pit stop right at Anmod there are a few coffee shops on the road itself if you want to go for quick tea, misal pao or bhajji sort of snacks etc.
Thank you. Have noted the Petrol bunk on Google maps. For the pit stop I was expecting someplace with rest rooms as I would be travelling with my family.
Old 6th April 2017, 20:39   #3823
BHPian

I will be travelling to Goa mid April and would appreciate if I can get some help in deciding the below two things.

1. Route - after going thru previous posts it seems that the best route for me would be to take the Anmod ghat road since I will be going to Bardez. Am I correct in concluding this ?

2. I am planning for an overnight stay in Hubli or Dharwad considering the long journey from Bangalore. Any recommendation for a good family hotel which is close to the highway ?
Old 6th April 2017, 20:58   #3824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
1. Route - after going thru previous posts it seems that the best route for me would be to take the Anmod ghat road since I will be going to Bardez. Am I correct in concluding this ?
No you are wrong. Bardez is north of Panjim. That means its almost North Goa and the route you need to take will be Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa - Bardez.

Quote:
2. I am planning for an overnight stay in Hubli or Dharwad considering the long journey from Bangalore. Any recommendation for a good family hotel which is close to the highway ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Adding to your response for the first point, you can as well Plan to halt at Belgaum instead of Hubli which will another 1.5-2 Hours after Hubli.

Sankam Residency is a popular hotel among most travelers here.
Old 6th April 2017, 23:16   #3825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No you are wrong. Bardez is north of Panjim. That means its almost North Goa and the route you need to take will be Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa - Bardez.

Thanks a lot for your response. I would also like to take the relatively easy ghat route ( less twisty, broader , shorter ghat section etc) at the cost of travelling few kms more in the plains. Considering this would it still be a good choice to follow the route you suggested ?

Most Viewed