Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 18:10   #4636
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
I am seriously thinking of trying Honnavar- Shimogga- Chitradurga route on my return journey. Not expecting to save time, but atleast hoping to find better roads.Any comments and suggestions are appreciated
Going by recent reports, I think you can try this, please update us if you do take this route when returning to Bangalore.

*For Shimoga-Bangalore you can try Shimoga-Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur (join the NH here)-Tumkur-Bangalore. I believe the first 25km between Shimoga-Channagiri (on the Chitradurga route) isn't great.

Last edited by NPV : 28th October 2019 at 18:12.
Old 28th October 2019, 18:12   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Then why not Haveri Sirsi
I don't have an update on the entire Sirsi--Haveri route but I drove on Sirsi--Hubli route on 25th October 2019 and the road till this village called "Yekkambi" is common for Sirsi--Hubli and Sirsi--Haveri. How is the 16 kms road ?? It has totally gone to dogs. Horrendous in every sense I was driving that day from Manipal to Belgaum via Jog falls--Sirsi--Hubli and will shortly share my horror story of Sirsi--Hubli elsewhere in the relevant thread.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:19   #4638

Guys, I am returning tomorrow from Baga to Bangalore. Would you suggest the return via Karwar - Honnavar- Shimoga route or should I come via the same route I came here via Chorla Ghat - Hubli?

Last edited by aah78 : 28th October 2019 at 20:03. Reason: Typos - capitals.
Old 29th October 2019, 14:31   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
Adding to the misery are the umpteen number of diversions between Hubli and Chitradurga. I counted atleast 20 of them . The road surface on this stretch is also peeled off at many places.
The peeling of road surface is extremely dangerous for bikers, I had almost fell off my heavy Kawasaki. Bikers please avoid the Chitradurg Hubli section. Motorcycles with 180/55 sports rear tyres will not retain traction in the peeled off section of the roads.

Last edited by Surajit333 : 29th October 2019 at 14:35.
Old 29th October 2019, 18:53   #4640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
The peeling of road surface is extremely dangerous for bikers, I had almost fell off my heavy Kawasaki. Bikers please avoid the Chitradurg Hubli section. Motorcycles with 180/55 sports rear tyres will not retain traction in the peeled off section of the roads.
Need to visit Davanagere this Thursday night and will be starting by 4.30pm from Bangalore. Hoping to reach by 10pm considering hopeless roads Chitradurga onwards. Final stop is Karwar the next day but will be traveling in Ertiga with family. Hopefully night drive is ok on this NH.
Old 29th October 2019, 19:19   #4641
BHPian

Planning to drive down on next Tuesday. How is the weather now please. Also route wise planning is ( as per Google Maps)

Hennur Bagalur Rd to NH 44/NH75 in HBR Layout 4th Block

Follow NH75 and NH 48 to Kittur 8 h 2 min (464 km)
Follow SH 56 and SH 93 to NH748 46 min (33.8 km)
Turn right onto NH748 Pass by Shri Chatrapati Shivaji Smarak (on the right in 2.2 km)
6 min (2.6 km)
Continue on SH31 to your destination in Baga 3 h 5 min (108 km)
Baga Beach
Old 29th October 2019, 19:36   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Need to visit Davanagere this Thursday night and will be starting by 4.30pm from Bangalore. Hoping to reach by 10pm. Hopefully night drive is ok on this NH.
One of the issues of night drive on Bangalore to Hubli stretch is non- marking of the roads that are being constructed / repaired / renovated. Without proper marking such as edges of the road and central median, it's quite possible to get disoriented as to the direction of road. It happened with me while I was driving from Bangalore to Goa in July end. Of course it rained heavily adding to the pain. But on a high speed road like this NH, lacki of proper road markings are a grave risk to road users.

Please do drive with utmost care and an additional pair of aux lamps on the car would help the cause.

I am not aware if the situation has changed in the last 3 months with regard to road markings. If it's marked, then good else drive cautiously.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 19:40   #4643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
Planning to drive down on next Tuesday. How is the weather now please.
Continue on SH31 to your destination in Baga 3 h 5 min (108 km) Baga Beach
The weather is fabulous at and around Goa. Cyclone Kyare has moved away from the state leaving the sky bright and the land dry. An ideal time to visit Goa.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 19:42   #4644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need to visit Davanagere this Thursday night and will be starting by 4.30pm from Bangalore. Hoping to reach by 10pm considering hopeless roads Chitradurga onwards. Final stop is Karwar the next day but will be traveling in Ertiga with family. Hopefully night drive is ok on this NH.
If Karwar is the final destination, you should consider Shimoga route. I have had friends complain about Chitradurga - Hubli post sunset and with rains it becomes a very bad experience.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 20:12   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Please do drive with utmost care and an additional pair of aux lamps on the car would help the cause.
Thanks for this but unfortunately I do not have aux lamps on my Ertiga. I need to rely on main and fog lamps only. But as per google map I need to negotiate some 67-70km post Chitradurga in the dark. Yeah, nothing can be done except driving very carefully. Hopefully it will not rain on Thursday night. I have some work next day and I will continue towards Karwar via Hubli-Ankola route assuming that is the best route to date.
Old 29th October 2019, 22:17   #4646
Distinguished - BHPian

My colleague did Goa Bangalore yesterday. The route he followed was Goa- Karwar- Ankola- Hubli- Bangalore.
He says that the section between Hubli to Davengere is under construction and therefore lot of diversions. Other than that, rest all is good in the route he took. He traveled the on an i20.
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 08:45   #4647

Any updates on the Anmod ghat route? I heard it was opened unofficially 3-4 days back.
I plan to take that when I leave from Goa on Friday, 1st Nov.
Only other viable option for me is the Chorla ghat, but I would prefer to avoid that unless Anmod is still closed or worse than Chorla.
Old 30th October 2019, 14:36   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizwan27 View Post
Guys, I am returning tomorrow from Baga to Bangalore. Would you suggest the return via Karwar - Honnavar- Shimoga route or should I come via the same route I came here via Chorla Ghat - Hubli?
Hey, Can you please tell me what is the current status of chorla ghat. I am not able to get a good update. How was the state of the road when you travelled. I heard some patches are bad
Old 30th October 2019, 14:52   #4649

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Hey, Can you please tell me what is the current status of chorla ghat. I am not able to get a good update. How was the state of the road when you travelled. I heard some patches are bad
I travelled on 26th October from Hubli. Took the diversion from NH at Kittur onto Bidi>Kahanapur road. Road from Kittur to Khanapur is good with a few potholes here and there. After Khanapur the frequency of the potholes will increase but still driveable. The major bad section will be on the Ghat Road (downhill). It took over 4 hours to cover the 150 kms from Kittur to Baga. Used google maps throughout. It seems that while navigating you will see the lane in orange in some places along the way. These are generally the sections with the bad patches. Once you enter Goa, the roads are better (typical narrow but good roads).
rizwan27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:58   #4650

Posting this message from my hotel room in hubli. Halted at hubli en route to Goa from Bangalore.

Covered bangalore to hubli (DOOR TO DOOR) in 6 hours. I drive a VW Polo on continental tyres. There are diversions between chitradurga and hubli but all very manageable. Nothing to be worried about.

Will take the kittur chorla ghat route tomorrow for my destination in Candolim.

Will post the route conditions once I reach the hotel.
rohittk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks