Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 13:35   #4621
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Is there any impact on Hassan-Sakleshpur region (bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur route) due to this cyclone?
Nope. There's not much noteworthy /serious impact on Hassan Sakaleshpur region as they are beyond the konkan ghats which bear the brunt of cyclone. Of course, the fringe rain with heavy wind will be there as part of residual impact, but nothing to be really concerned.
ashkamath is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 15:07   #4622

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
As per the weather predictions, the deep depression will approach the coast of Goa and recurve westwards. The cyclone is not expected to hit the coast. However, overcast skies and rain will continue till 28/29 Oct atleast.

And yes I concur with AshKamath. Not a good time to visit Goa.

Attachment 1926890

Attachment 1926891
Hi guys, I've planned for Goa trip on 1st November, will the situation be better that time or should I change my plan?
Old 25th October 2019, 18:11   #4623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SREEHARI R View Post
I've planned for Goa trip on 1st November
Shouldn't be a problem as this will be over in the next 48 hours.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 19:26   #4624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SREEHARI R View Post
Hi guys, I've planned for Goa trip on 1st November, will the situation be better that time or should I change my plan?
Don't worry. It'll be over by then. It's already started moving North. By midnight tonight, it should recurve towards NW direction and head to Oman coast and most likely develop into a very severe cyclonic storm.

Fun Fact
The brewing cyclone will be named Kyarr
Name contributed by Oman. Will probably hit the same country too.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 19:58   #4625
BHPian

Quote:

The brewing cyclone will be named Kyarr
Name contributed by Oman. Will probably hit the same country too.
Naming of the Cyclone is done by those countries who are in the path of the storm. Based on the pattern and little help from historic data, the affected countries will be given a chance to name the cyclones on a sequential manner. So, the chances of hitting that particular country will be 100%. The difference will only be on the impact, which cannot be predicted as it depends on wind direction and other factors.

Last edited by jaaz : 25th October 2019 at 19:59.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 20:31   #4626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Naming of the Cyclone is done by those countries who are in the path of the storm. Based on the pattern and little help from historic data, the affected countries will be given a chance to name the cyclones on a sequential manner. So, the chances of hitting that particular country will be 100%. The difference will only be on the impact, which cannot be predicted as it depends on wind direction and other factors.
I don't think that's correct. Names for cyclones originating in the Arabian sea and Bay of Bengal are suggested by the countries around them, namely Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

There's already a list of names promulgated. So, irrespective of the location of its origin, or the place of its impact, the name suggested by the country in the next alphabetical sequence is selected. Therefore, irrespective of the location of impact of next cyclone, the name will be the one suggested by Pakistan (as Pakistan comes after Oman in alphabetical sequence).

Bangladesh suggested 'Onil' the first in the list. Onil originated in Arabian Sea, off the Gujarat coast between September to October 2004. It impacted both India and Pakistan.
Cyclone Phetai, suggested by Thailand, made landfall in Andhra Pradesh.
Cyclone Ockhi affected Sri Lanka and India; the name was again suggested by Bangladesh.

Hope this helped.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 20:47   #4627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Names for cyclones originating in the Arabian sea and Bay of Bengal are suggested by the countries around them, namely Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
AFAIK, this is how it works.

Quote:
name will be the one suggested by Pakistan
already has a name "bulbul" (named by Pakistan) and should be hitting TN coast Nov 1st/2nd after picking up steam in the Bay.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 23:26   #4628

Quote:
I concur. Belgaum - Chorla- Goa is good to go. Season has started in Goa (despite the rains) and the showers on the other side of western ghats is not a dampener as of now. There's road widening work in progress all the way till Panjim from Madgaon side. In case you are coming from that side, cater for atleast two hours additional due traffic block.
What about the Hubli- bidi- khanapur-chorla-baga route. Is it in rideable condition.
Old 26th October 2019, 15:11   #4629

Guys, I just reached Baga, Goa. Surprisingly it is bright and sunny here although quite some rain along the way. I came via the Hubli- khanapur-chorla-baga route. There are some deep potholes along the way but not so bad to make it undrivable.
rizwan27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 16:27   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizwan27 View Post
Guys, I just reached Baga, Goa. Surprisingly it is bright and sunny here although quite some rain along the way. I came via the Hubli- khanapur-chorla-baga route. There are some deep potholes along the way but not so bad to make it undrivable.
Yes. The weather has cleared today with cyclone moving away from Goa.

I guess it's again good time to visit Goa again

The Chorla route has deteriorated due to multiple reasons. The incessant rains, the closure of Anmod that route resulting in all traffic (heavy traffic included) being diverted to Chorla and also Mumbai/Pune traffic taking Chorla route instead of Amboli that road.
So Chorla route is overloaded and deep potholes have come up. The road is in pretty bad shape.

Considering the condition of Chorla route, I believe the Bankapur Yellapur Ankola Karwar Goa route is a better option in the given circumstances. The roads are better and wider and is a better choice for people going to South Goa.
Old 27th October 2019, 23:35   #4631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Shimoga-Honnavara-Karwar
How is Honnavar - Karwar? 4Laning was WIP if i remember. Completed now?
Old 27th October 2019, 23:55   #4632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
How is Honnavar - Karwar? 4Laning was WIP if i remember. Completed now?
Still going on. Diversions all the way up to karwar
Starscream1188 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 08:49   #4633
BHPian

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is driving from Bangalore to Goa on the 31st. Driving a normal sedan but fully loaded as they are coming for a wedding. Can anyone here suggest the best route with regards to road conditions. Understand Chorla Ghat is in a pretty bad state and, of course, Anmod Ghat is closed.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 28th October 2019, 16:54   #4634
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Then why not Haveri Sirsi Kumta Goa ?
Here's a recent update on that route from one of the regular travelers, I'd missed this one too and just happened to see it here (Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:57   #4635
BHPian

I came to my home in Goa for the Diwali festival last Saturday. I took the Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar route and wanted to update that it's not in a very good shape. Ok, it is drivable as such, but this year the condition is quite worse post the monsoon, compared to earlier. Kalghatgi to Hubli is full of potholes and some 1-2 km road near the center of Kalghatgi village is just a mud road with lot of undulations. Driving a sedan, one has to be especially careful. Adding to the misery are the umpteen number of diversions between Hubli and Chitradurga. I counted atleast 20 of them . The road surface on this stretch is also peeled off at many places. Chitradurga to Bangalore road is the best.Overall it took me 1.5 hr more compared to what it takes me usually.
I am seriously thinking of trying Honnavar- Shimogga- Chitradurga route on my return journey. Not expecting to save time, but atleast hoping to find better roads.Any comments and suggestions are appreciated
gautamal is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks