Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 12:06   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Thank you! Looks like best option is to go to mangalore using shiradi ghat and then go along the coast to Gokarna
Please avoid travelling, it is raining heavily in Sakaleshpura, Udupi and Uttara Kannada district.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th August 2019 at 12:07.
Old 7th August 2019, 15:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi ghat has been closed for clearing the fallen trees as per the news reported in Kannada channels. Red alert has been declared in Udupi, Byndoor and surrounding areas for next two days.
Old 7th August 2019, 23:06   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Shiradi ghat has been closed for clearing the fallen trees as per the news reported in Kannada channels. Red alert has been declared in Udupi, Byndoor and surrounding areas for next two days.
All most all the ghats leading to west coast of India are closed as of now. Just got an update that even Agumbe ghat has had a land slide.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 21:30   #64
BHPian

Driving back to Bangalore from Gokarna tomorrow morning. Can you please suggest the most comfortable route? Two couples in a Kwid 800.

Thanks!
Saurab C
Old 4th October 2019, 21:47   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Driving back to Bangalore from Gokarna tomorrow morning. Can you please suggest the most comfortable route? Two couples in a Kwid 800.
Most comfortable drive should be going back to Ankola.

Gokarana-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore.

Or you can do : Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur and bypass Hubli.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 23:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post

Thanks!
Saurab C
Hi Saurabh,

I do Bangalore to Kumta (Gokarna is 20km further) at least 4 times a year.

The best route is Bangalore-Tumkur-Haveri-Sirsi-Mirjan-Gokarna. Just track back the route while returning.

If you plan to cross Nelamangala toll by 6am, you can avoid the mad weekend morning traffic. You still see some traffic until Tumkur. From there, you get 6 lane road until Chitradugra and can cruise at 120 easily.

No need to enter the Haveri town. If you switch on the Google map, it will show you where to take left to get down to Sirsi road. The Haveri-Akkialuru road is one more good road. It has a toll too.

After Akkialuru, you enter the forest area, which is but curvy with dense vegetation (means, blind turns) so hence you may not be able cross 70 even though road is good.

After this you'll reach Siri-Yellapur road at Bisilkoppa. Take left here. From this point until Sirsi (around 20km), the roads condition is dependent on season. During rainy season that can be one of the worst road.

From Sirsi to Mirjan, is mostly ghat road. Most of the ghat has concrete road. Where there are no concrete, the road is again dependent on season.

From Mirjan to Gokarna, half way is National Highway and the another half is State road.

Note 1: you can plan to give a visit to Mirjan fort. It has one of the majestic front look. But, it closes at 6 pm exactly.

Note 2: At some places, between Chitradugra and Haveri, the conversion from 4 lane to 6 lane is/was happening. Mind the speed at those diversion.
raghu13uk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 23:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Most comfortable drive should be going back to Ankola.

Gokarana-Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli-Bangalore.

Or you can do : Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur and bypass Hubli.
Thank you!
Shall check both and decide on one. And, shall post the experience in a day after reaching.

Regards,
Saurab C
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 18:30   #68
BHPian

Sorry if this reply is late. I just came back from my native and in-laws place (Sirsi and Honnavar respectively). I do this trip 8-10 times a year.

Please stay away from the Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta road. It’s has degraded extremely. It took me 2 hours to do Sirsi-Kumta (65kms). Except Haveri to Akki Alur the rest of the road is terrible.

On the return I did:-

Honnavar-Gerusoppa-Talguppa(absolutely fantastic road)

Talguppa-Sagar is average

Sagar-Shivamogga is fantastic

Lunch at hotel Saanvi

Shivamogga - Channagiri - Chitradurga. Starting 25kms is bad, rest of it is absolutely fantastic.

Chitradurga - Bengaluru remains great.

Last edited by drhoneycake : 10th October 2019 at 18:31.
drhoneycake is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 15:13   #69
BHPian

Can you please suggest a better hassle free route to Gokarna from Bangalore?
I'm little worried about the road conditions because of the recent heavy rains reported last week.

Note : I am travelling with family with a toddler. My priorities are good roads and hotels with decent food.
Old 28th October 2019, 16:15   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nax04 View Post
Can you please suggest a better hassle free route to Gokarna from Bangalore?
I'm little worried about the road conditions because of the recent heavy rains reported last week.
Most would suggest: Haveri/Sirsi/Kumta option. But I dont know how is it holding with rains.

The easier one would be Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Gokarna.

With the recent diversions on Davanagere-Hubli which option is the better of the two devils I dont know. My bet would still be on the latter one.

Last edited by ampere : 28th October 2019 at 19:36. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 17:10   #71
BHPian

nax04 et al,

You should stick to Bangalore-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Honnavar-Kumta-Gokarna.

Quote:
most would suggest: Haveri/Sirsi/Kumta option. But I dont know how is it holding with rains.
Should be avoided at any cost now. I did Gokarana early October, 80% bad roads on the Sirsi-Kumta stretch and it took 2.5 hours to cover 60kms. I was driving a skoda rapid equipped with Bilstein B6, ride was bone jarring and felt like returning back to Bangalore.

Quote:
The easier one would be Bangalaore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Gokarna.
I took the return route via Yellapur-Kalaghatgi-Tadas-Bankapur-Haveri-Bangalore, roads are good and it saved 1.5 hours of journey time.
Mr_Bean is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:40   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please suggest a better hassle free route to Gokarna from Bangalore? My priorities are good roads and hotels with decent food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
nax04 et al,

Mr.Bean is right.

Last week me and my brother-in-law took Bangalore-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta. While returning, he took Kumta-Shimoga-Hiriyuru-Chitradurga-Bangalore as he had some work on that route. He says, that route is in very good condition with usual potholes here and there.

I think, I'll follow that route (Simoga-Honavar) for the next one year at least. The history says, Sirsi roads are not fixed that soon.

Also, as most of the Chitradugra-Shimoga-Honavar route passes through the towns, you'll get ample options for food at the cost of speed of movement.
raghu13uk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 11:44   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
nax04 et al,

Should be avoided at any cost now. I did Gokarana early October, 80% bad roads on the Sirsi-Kumta stretch and it took 2.5 hours to cover 60kms. I was driving a skoda rapid equipped with Bilstein B6, ride was bone jarring and felt like returning back to Bangalore.

I took the return route via Yellapur-Kalaghatgi-Tadas-Bankapur-Haveri-Bangalore, roads are good and it saved 1.5 hours of journey time.

Agreed, I drive a fluidic Verna and when I got back, I had to replace the link rods on the front suspension. Akki Alur-Sirsi-Kumta is terrible. Please avoid.

Stick to Shivamogga-Sagara-Honnavar.

Another one I did was
Take the left just before the Chalagere Toll Plaza, takes you via Hirekerur-Shiralkoppa-Sorba-Siddapur.

From Siddapur you can touch either Kumta/Honnavar directly depending on your destination.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 06:54   #74
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
I reached Gokarna last night safely.

Route I took -- Bangalore - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Sagar - Jog Falls - Honnavar - Kumta - Gokarna

For my return planning to take

Gokarna - Ankola - Tadas - Haveri - Bangalore
nax04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 12:12   #75
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route I took -- Bangalore - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shivamogga - Sagar - Jog Falls - Honnavar - Kumta - Gokarna
How were the road conditions between Chitradurga-Channagiri-Shimoga ?

Also, do update us with your return route and road conditions. With the year end coming up, it will help lot of people traveling that side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks