Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 22:54   #211

Re: Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries

I am planning a solo ride from Bangalore to Gokarna tomorrow on my Honda Highness CB 350. Considering I will be riding solo, would like to avoid any remote sections without network connectivity. Which route would be advisable for me? I am planning to start from Bangalore by 4 AM
Old 15th February 2024, 16:44   #212

Hi Everyone, has anyone recently tried the Hubli Bypass - Ankola - Gokarna route recently? Planning for a road trip via this route from Bangalore since I prefer to stay on main Highways.
Old 15th February 2024, 20:46   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJames View Post
Hi Everyone, has anyone recently tried the Hubli Bypass - Ankola - Gokarna route recently? Planning for a road trip via this route from Bangalore since I prefer to stay on main Highways.
Had been on this route last month. The roads are two lane and is wide and many portions are newly laid. Go for this.
CArspeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 16:17   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Had been on this route last month. The roads are two lane and is wide and many portions are newly laid. Go for this.
Thanks and finished the journey today.

Bangalore (Yemalur) - 05:25 AM
Hubli Bypass - 10:25 AM with 10 mins break
Ankola - 12:40 PM
Gokarna - 01:10 PM

Total journey 7hrs and 45 Mins

Roads are perfect until Hubli.

Hubli to Yellapur is also smooth 2 lane.

Yellapur to Ankola is not very smooth but manageable. Beware of occasional potholes.

Ankola to Gokarna is just fine. Overall I think this route is fuss free and preferrable.
TonyJames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 12:21   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the dreaded Yellapur-Ankola Section:

Last weekend we drove to Kumta and took this Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli road, which was notorious for huge potholes. In fact, I had lost a tyre of my 320d in this very stretch in 2022.

However, to our pleasant surprise, this road has been fixed very nicely now! Except for a small stretch of about 20km from Ankola towards Yellapur, the rest of the stretch till Hubli is completely fixed now with a fresh layer of smooth black tar. This road was lovely. Wide road with smooth black tar now, nice curves and corners, and scenic forests on both sides. We loved driving on this.

Even that first 20km stretch from Ankola, which was not fixed as yet, was not too bad. It had some bumpy sections and a few small potholes, but nothing serious to worry.

Thus, overall, Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola road is all fixed now and a great option to drive to Gokarna or South Goa.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 21st February 2024 at 12:28.
Dr.AD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 16:53   #216
BHPian

I am in the planning phase for a road trip from Bengaluru to Gokarna. I have 5 days and would like to break in between at Shivamogga to factor in the local sight seeing activities. This is what my itinerary looks like:

Day 1 - Bengaluru to Shivamogga (Route map)

I plan to visit Chitradurga fort, along with other local sightings that come on the way.

Day 2 - Shivamogga to Gokarna (Route Map)

Plan is to visit Jog Falls, Sharavati wildlife sanctuary, the elephant camp and other local attractions on the way.

Day 3 - Gokarna local and Murudeshwar

Day 4 - Gokarna local and anything interesting within 100kms

Day 5 - Drive back to Bengaluru

Mostly I may be doing the trip first week of May or last week of April. Anything specific that I need to watch out for and any route distractions I need to take note on
Old 25th March 2024, 10:35   #217

Hi all.... Plz suggest best route from Pune to Gokarna.
Gmaps showing 3 routes
1) Pune - Belgavi - kittur - Haliyar - Yellapur - gokarna
2) Pune - Belgavi - Hubli Dharavad - Kalaghati - Yellapur - gokarna
3) pune - Belgavi - ramnagar - Anmod ghat - NH66 Near Mobor beach Goa - Karwar - Gokarna .
all three routes showing almost same travel time with half an hour less or more.
Thank you
Old 1st April 2024, 17:52   #218
RRR
BHPian

Hello Friends, Hope all are well!
I'm planning a bike ride from Bangalore to Gokarna on the 6th of April..

From what I have read in this thread, Bangalore- Hubli- Ankola- Gokarna is the best route even though it is slightly longer than the Sirsi one.

I will be riding Triumph Street Twin & my brother, a Street Triple

Can you guys kindly confirm which is the best option for our bikes?

Also, if you can slide in restaurant suggestions en route for our lunch would be great! I appreciate any help you can provide.
Old 1st April 2024, 18:38   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
From what I have read in this thread, Bangalore- Hubli- Ankola- Gokarna is the best route even though it is slightly longer than the Sirsi one.
The Bangalore - Hubli - Ankola - Gokarna is a sedate, boring (bus route as we say) route that just about mile munching and reaching the destination.

Anyways, one option to break the monotony is to take the following small short cut.

After Haveri, when you reach Bankapur, enter the town and take the Bankapur - Mundgod - Yallapur road. This route bypasses Hubli completely and cuts the distance by 50 Kms / 1 hour. It is a single road, passing through beautiful forest area and should be fun on a Motorcycle.

As a motorcycle rider, I always avoid the 4/6/8 lane highways as much as possible and take the lesser traveled state highways as that's more fun.

Another option for you is to at Tumkur, take the State Highway to Shimoga that passes through Gubbi - Tiptur - Arasikere - Tarikere - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Sagar - take the Jog falls route for a few kms to Talaguppa - Siddapura - Mirjan - Gokarna.

Another option for you is proceed on the Pune highway upto Hiriyur and then leave the NH and turn towards Shimoga. you will pass through Hosadurga - Shivani - Shimoga - Sagar - jog falls road - Talaguppa - Siddapura - Mirjan - Gokarna

There's another route the google map shows that passes through Davanagere - Harihar - Chalageri - Hansabhavi - Anavatti - Banavasi - Sirsi - Mirjan - Gokarna. I am quite familiar with some routes in this section of the state but this is an absolute new route to me. I must ride this route some time and see how this is.

I see it is a weekend ride and time could be a major constraint. Further both the Triumph STs beg to ride hard and you need suitable safe roads to have a bit of fun. So, I guess the first suggestion (Via Mundgod) I mentioned above should fit your plans well.

Regarding the lunch, it depends upon your start time from your place. If you start early, you could probably plan your lunch at Gokarna.
At Yallapur, I have eaten at Shanbag restaurant which is quite good.

Ride safe.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:45   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Can anyone kindly update status on Haveri-Sirsi and Sirsi-Kumta road..
I had travelled a few montha ago and it was in real bad state, but full road widening and tarring was in progress, I hope it is completed.
Anyone been on this route recently?
I had travelled by the Kumta Sirisi highway i,e NH766E recently. The highway in the initial 30 kms is pretty bad where in few places the concrete is only laid at one side only and the work on the other end is still in progress. And in the next 30 Kms till Sirsi outskirts is fully concreted with only the work in the bridge sections pending.Only positive is the view which we get from Devimane Ghat enroute Sirsi.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries-img_1649.jpg  

seaserpent@47 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:45   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Hello Friends, Hope all are well!
I'm planning a bike ride from Bangalore to Gokarna on the 6th of April..

I will be riding Triumph Street Twin & my brother, a Street Triple

Can you guys kindly confirm which is the best option for our bikes?

Also, if you can slide in restaurant suggestions en route for our lunch would be great! I appreciate any help you can provide.
I, along with my riding buddies, took Gokarna-Honnavar-Shivamoga-Chitradurga-Bengaluru route around a month back. The route is a bit longer, however, the roads are excellent with no widening work or massive diversions enroute. Honnavar - Shivamoga stretch is perfect for corner carving with super smooth tarmac and minimal traffic (we crossed this section around 6am). You will surely have a blast!

Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries-2.jpg
night_eagle is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks