Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 21:42   #91
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Gokarna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
I am heading to Gokarna with a night stay at Jog Falls, tomorrow morning. Needless to say I will take Jog falls route. Will reply if there are any new findings.
Very pleasant and scenic drive.
Bangalore-Haveri-Shimoga-Jog.
After Haveri it is single lane without divider with good quality tarmac for most part.
vijaymishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:25   #92
BHPian

Bumping an old thread, I'll be travelling this Tuesday to Gokarna from Bangalore with my wife for a short personal trip. After doing some research, I've decided to take the below route since we are also planning to pay a short visit at Jog falls,

Bengaluru -> Arsikere(via NH 75 Mangalore highway) -> Shivamogga -> Jog Falls -> Kumta(Gokarna)

I've travelled till Shravanbelagola last week and the highway was very good but I'm not sure how it gets post that or Hassan. Has anybody else taken this route recently? I can see in recent posts that most recommended route is via Tumkuru but since we have plan to make a quick visit to Jog falls, any suggestions on this route would be appreciated.

Also how much of the ghat section to be covered on this route? My best guess is, it should be pretty much around Shivamogga -> Jog falls -> Kumta but again, since I’m travelling for the first time so not much of an idea.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
Bumping an old thread, I'll be travelling this Tuesday to Gokarna from Bangalore with my wife for a short personal trip. After doing some research, I've decided to take the below route since we are also planning to pay a short visit at Jog falls,

Bengaluru -> Arsikere(via NH 75 Mangalore highway) -> Shivamogga -> Jog Falls -> Kumta(Gokarna)
We went in the exact same route 4 years back, I do not make any suggestions on the road conditions but this is such a scenic route you should never miss.

When we went the road conditions were horrible near to Jog falls and from Jog falls to honnavar, partly due to stones laid for new road construction. I hope now the roads will be fine.

We accidentally saw this place on this route when it was raining. With sky full of dark clouds, women crossing the river with burqas, It was like Bombay movie happening live.

Dropped pin
Near SH 144, Saralagi, Karnataka 581384
https://maps.app.goo.gl/imXmpxQKxbNZfquW6
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 19:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
We went in the exact same route 4 years back, I do not make any suggestions on the road conditions but this is such a scenic route you should never miss.
Mangalore highway till Hassan is quite scenic in itself, driving around the jog falls from that route would be a boon to watch then. Plus, the missus will also love it

Quote:
When we went the road conditions were horrible near to Jog falls and from Jog falls to honnavar, partly due to stones laid for new road construction. I hope now the roads will be fine.
Okay, this is something which I was particularly looking for but at the same time if I check on Google Maps, it still shows this as the fastest route. So, I think the road conditions might be in better shape this time. Anyways we are planning to start quite early in the morning and rest, I'll discover on the road

Quote:
We accidentally saw this place on this route when it was raining. With sky full of dark clouds, women crossing the river with burqas, It was like Bombay movie happening live.
We would love to see this place though it might not be all same like you mentioned but still a river crossing is delight to watch always. Thanks for sharing this location.
Old 5th October 2020, 10:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Mangalore highway till Hassan is quite scenic in itself, driving around the jog falls from that route would be a boon to watch then. Plus, the missus will also love it
So as for update, we just covered the whole route,

Bengaluru -> Arsikere -> Jog Falls -> Kumta (while going)

Kumta -> Sirsi -> Davanagere -> Tumakuru -> Bengaluru (return)

And I must say, the first route is very good and very beautiful. Plus the roads are in good condition except very few rough patches from Arsikere to Shimoga considering that's a state highway. But, while returning we took the route via Sirsi ghat and the roads are in very bad shape. Quite a lot of rough patches especially during the Sirsi ghat and from Sirsi to Davanagere until you hit the NH connecting Tumakuru and Bengaluru.
pravarag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 16:39   #96
BHPian

Quote:
So as for update, we just covered the whole route,

Bengaluru -> Arsikere -> Jog Falls -> Kumta (while going)

Kumta -> Sirsi -> Davanagere -> Tumakuru -> Bengaluru (return)

Which one will be better in terms of road condition? Bangalore- Arasikere - Jog - Honnavara - Kumta OR Bangalore- Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Jog falls - Honnavara - Kumta ? Travellig in a small car with family, so better road conditon is preferred, even if longer.
Old 6th October 2020, 21:44   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Which one will be better in terms of road condition? Bangalore- Arasikere - Jog - Honnavara - Kumta OR Bangalore- Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Jog falls - Honnavara - Kumta ? Travellig in a small car with family, so better road conditon is preferred, even if longer.
I'll definitely suggest, Bengaluru -> Arasikere -> Jog -> Honnavara via Bhatkal Ghat section -> Kumta, since this is the route we took. There'll be little rough patches between Bengaluru and Arsikere and then in between Arsikere and Jog falls but I guarantee, whatever ghat section you'll encounter on this route, the roads are very good. Plus you'll enjoy the scenic beauty throughout the route as well. I didn't take the Chitradurga route so not aware of it.
pravarag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:58   #98
BHPian

Update as of October 21, 2020.
Drove to Gokarna via:

Bangalore > Tumakur > Sira > Hiriyur > Hosadurga > Tarikere > Shivamogga > Yadehalli > Sagar > Jog Falls > Honavar > Gokarna

The roads were good. Ghats section roads are tarred and nice.
We started from Bangalore (Kalyan Nagar) at 4:00 am & reached Kudle Beach at 3:00 pm.
We spent 2 hours at Jog falls & numerous stops on the way to take pics.

The return is after 3 days. I will post the update soon.
lavish_n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:00   #99
BHPian

Looking to drive to Gokarna this weekend.

Two routes are discussed here -

Bangalore > Tumakuru > Sira > Hiriyur > Hosadurga > Tarikere > Shivamogga > Sagar > Honavar > Gokarna

Bengaluru > Arasikere(via NH 75 Mangalore highway) > Shivamogga > Yadehalli > Sagar > Honavar > Gokarna

Which is the preferred route considering the current road condition?

Heard Sirsi ghat is in bad shape, so not considering option via Sirsi.

Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Looking to drive to Gokarna this weekend.

Two routes are discussed here -

Bangalore > Tumakuru > Sira > Hiriyur > Hosadurga > Tarikere > Shivamogga > Sagar > Honavar > Gokarna

Bengaluru > Arasikere(via NH 75 Mangalore highway) > Shivamogga > Yadehalli > Sagar > Honavar > Gokarna

Which is the preferred route considering the current road condition?

Heard Sirsi ghat is in bad shape, so not considering option via Sirsi.

Thanks

Visited last month.
Bangalore- Hiriyur is excellent 6 lane road. Hiriyur - Hosadurga is narrow 2 lane, not much traffic. Road condition is good with occasional potholes. Hosadurga - Tarikere - Shimoga road is regular 2 lane undivided road. There may be local traffic depending on time of the day. Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar : good road through western ghats. Honnavar - Kumta - Gokarna : excellent 4 lane road with occasional diversions.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 03:13   #101
BHPian

I am planning to ride to Gokarna on the 28th of this month.
Planning to take the following route :

Bangalore > Tumakur > Sira > Hiriyur > Hosadurga > Tarikere > Shivamogga > Yadehalli > Sagar > Jog Falls > Honavar > Gokarna

Any suggestions for locations in and around Gokarna that I can ride to?
Planning to stay for a week there so I guess covering a few extra kilometres wouldn't be a problem.
Old 22nd November 2020, 15:27   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post

Planning to stay for a week there so I guess covering a few extra kilometres wouldn't be a problem.
Try to visit yana caves, mirjan fort
Old 10th December 2020, 20:13   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post

Please add Murudeshwar to your list. It is an hour-long journey from Gokarna.
varunasok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunasok View Post
Please add Murudeshwar to your list. It is an hour-long journey from Gokarna.
Yeah I ended up going there from Gokarna. It was nice
Old 12th December 2020, 10:00   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Update as of October 21, 2020.
Drove to Gokarna via:

The roads were good. Ghats section roads are tarred and nice.
We started from Bangalore (Kalyan Nagar) at 4:00 am & reached Kudle Beach at 3:00 pm.
We spent 2 hours at Jog falls & numerous stops on the way to take pics.

The return is after 3 days. I will post the update soon.

From Gokarna, you can take the route via Sirsi. This way you can cover Yana caves.

Gokarna - Mirjan - Sirsi - Haveri - Davangere - Bengaluru. This route is the fastest from Gokarna to Bengaluru

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks