Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 23:03   #5371
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Travelling to South Goa next week with 14 and 12 yr old boys. My questions are
1. Best route to consider? Planning a night stay in Dharwad.
2. RTPCR requirements for adults and kids?
3. What is the liquor allowance into KA? do we need any paper to bring in liquor? Any limit?

Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:32   #5372
BHPian

I just did a Chennai- Goa (Anjuna) - Chennai trip. We were 2 families driving KL registered cars.

Onward route (9-10 Dec): Chennai - BLR - Hubli - Ramnagar -Anmod - Mollem - Anjuna
We missed the Tinai ghat diversion and had to tackle the 'no road' section in Anmod.
Still it was manageable with my low slung Celica.
At Mollem check post, we had to get down, go to the counter to give our details along with RTPCR certificates. All KL cars were flagged down & asked for RTPCR. I believe that for non KL cars, double vaccination was enough.

Return route(12-13 Dec): Anjuna - Mollem - Tinai ghat - Ramnagar - Hubli - BLR -Chennai.
This time we took the Tinai Ghat diversion right after Anmod Check post.
At the KA check post, no checks related to COVID. Cops asked for PUC & let us go.

We halted at Hubli for both the journey. it was a peaceful drive overall & also had a lovely time in Goa.
Old 14th December 2021, 11:41   #5373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
3. What is the liquor allowance into KA? do we need any paper to bring in liquor? Any limit?

Thanks
1. There are bad patches in various areas. Following Google maps (which shows applicable diversion roads) is the relatively harmless option. This holds true with the halt at Dharwad as well.
2. For GA entry, vaccination certificates would do - RTPCR is not asked for. For KA entry, neither of the above are asked, rather only liquor check is done.
3. This is a contested topic and what prevails is the interpretation/stance of the policemen on duty. The GA liquor shops do give permit letters for 2 bottles at max, but apparently those permits are not applicable for KA (rather applicable only for few other states such as OR), though the liquor shop owners will try to claim/pacify that it works for KA as well. So - be ready to pay up at checkpost in case the policemen happen to find the bottles. It is very likely that there will be checking. Saying this from direct experience less than a week ago. Hope this helps.
victoriacc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 17:49   #5374
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
Thanks
1. On 12th Dec, I entered goa from Dharwad via Alnavar route. 10-15 kms of bad patch. Rest all good. Night journey will take more time.

2. They checked fully vaccinated certificate. I had rtpcr for my 10yo , but they didnt bother to look into it also. But keep it handy.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 16:24   #5375
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians, planning to drive from Bengaluru to Goa, have to decide between these three routes from Dharwad to North Goa (these three routes have been suggested by someone for good driving pleasure, in case you have a better route option, please do let me know. Car is a VW T-Roc)

Dharwad – Haliya – Dandeli – Jagalbet – Castlerock – Anmod OR

Dharwad – Gharli – Tinai Ghat – Anmod OR

Dharwad – Khanapur – Rankarook – Anmod

Would prefer a stretch with good roads & driving pleasure.

Request your opinion on a good place to stop for breakfast, lunch en route to Goa. Passengers are all male.

Thank you.

Spike
Old 15th December 2021, 22:25   #5376
BHPian

Folks,

Will be driving down to south Goa from Bangalore day after tomorrow (missus and 5yo kiddo). Will start by 4 am and planning to reach before dusk.

From the recent posts have seen that karwar route is preferred for relaxed driving. However, I was hoping to also visit Jog falls on the way.
Can this be done on same day ?
What would be the best route (on the basis of road conditions) and how much of a detour it would really be ?

Would appreciate your opinion and suggestions.

Thank you !!
Old 16th December 2021, 07:45   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear BHPians, planning to drive from Bengaluru to Goa, have to decide between these three routes from Dharwad to North Goa (these three routes have been suggested by someone for good driving pleasure, in case you have a better route option, please do let me know. Car is a VW T-Roc)

Dharwad – Haliya – Dandeli – Jagalbet – Castlerock – Anmod OR

Dharwad – Gharli – Tinai Ghat – Anmod OR

Dharwad – Khanapur – Rankarook – Anmod

Would prefer a stretch with good roads & driving pleasure.

Request your opinion on a good place to stop for breakfast, lunch en route to Goa. Passengers are all male.

Thank you.

Spike
Hi, we drove to Panjim on the 13th (Honda City 2021, 3 adults, full luggage), so I maybe able to throw some light here. We used the Dharwad - Gharli - Tinai Ghat - Anmod option (did not use the deviation via Rangarook). Other than a few short stretches of incomplete/uneven roads which weren't too difficult for the City to handle, rest of the route was very good. The Tinai Ghat - Anmod route is still WIP, but these are certain sections only and can be managed during the day. As per G-map, we saved about 8 minutes taking this route.

From Anmod, the ghat section to Mollem is in pristine condition, and with light traffic, I loved being at the wheel of the City.

Regarding the stop overs for breakfast/lunch - we started at 6.30am from Koramangala and we stopped for BF at Kamat Lokaruchi, Sira (around 8.30am). However, Kamat is on the other side and so you need to dirve back on the service road a bit. Alternatively, you can drive for another 15-20 minutes and you will find Hotel Sai Palace on the left; have stopped here couple fo times before and found it clean and with good food.

Lunch is an issue, if you are traveling with senior citizens (I had my dad with me) as there aren't too many good places with clean toilets once you turn off from Dharwad - or, I am not aware of any - until you cross Mollem. We therefore stopped for an early lunch (12.30) on the Dharwad highway at Ramya Residency which had decent food and average toilets.

Total travel time (BLR - Panaji) - 10.30 hours including 1 hour 15 minutes for breaks.

Have a safe trip; hope the above helps!
Jammy70 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 09:49   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post

Lunch is an issue, if you are traveling with senior citizens (I had my dad with me) as there aren't too many good places with clean toilets once you turn off from Dharwad - or, I am not aware of any - until you cross Mollem. We therefore stopped for an early lunch (12.30) on the Dharwad highway at Ramya Residency which had decent food and average toilets.

Total travel time (BLR - Panaji) - 10.30 hours including 1 hour 15 minutes for breaks.

Have a safe trip; hope the above helps!
Thank you Jammy, that was indeed very helpful. A little bit of research suggested two names near Mollem for lunch - Roshan and Karibu, the reviews are mixed though, so not sure if we should try these places for lunch. Have noted down your inputs.

Cheers
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 17:46   #5379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Folks,

Will be driving down to south Goa from Bangalore day after tomorrow (missus and 5yo kiddo). Will start by 4 am and planning to reach before dusk.

From the recent posts have seen that karwar route is preferred for relaxed driving. However, I was hoping to also visit Jog falls on the way.
Can this be done on same day ?
What would be the best route (on the basis of road conditions) and how much of a detour it would really be ?

Would appreciate your opinion and suggestions.

Thank you !!
Quoting myself here.
I see that the recent recommendations are in favor of BLR -> Tumkur -> Haveri -> Tadas -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Canacona.

Any update on this route please ? (Especially the route between Yellapur to Ankola)
Old 16th December 2021, 19:29   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Quoting myself here.
I see that the recent recommendations are in favor of BLR -> Tumkur -> Haveri -> Tadas -> Kalaghatgi -> Yellapur -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Canacona.

Any update on this route please ? (Especially the route between Yellapur to Ankola)
Do we need to go all the way to Tadas and Kalaghatgi to take the via-Ylellapur route? Google maps shows this option via some place called Mundgod which is 25 kms less. Is this road drivable ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20211216192443_maps.jpg  

Old 16th December 2021, 20:51   #5381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Google maps shows this option via some place called Mundgod which is 25 kms less. Is this road drivable ?
Take the Tadas route. Mungod option though shorter is very narrow this has been discussed here couple of times as to how the limited width can drastically slow your progress in case you get stuck behind a vehicle and not getting a chance to overtake for long.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 01:24   #5382
BHPian

Anybody taken the Haveri-Sirsi-Karwar route to South Goa recently? Couldn't find any account.
Old 17th December 2021, 09:13   #5383
BHPian

Folks, A question to those who are familiar with Goa.

We are planning to go this Sunday. Us and two 8 year old boys. Our destination is Arossim / Cansaulim. Does it make sense to go via Karwar or via Dharwad-Tinai Ghat route?

Also from the border check-post perspective, which is faster? We are both vaccinated.

All guidance appreciated.
Old 17th December 2021, 09:41   #5384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
We are planning to go this Sunday. Us and two 8 year old boys. Our destination is Arossim / Cansaulim. Does it make sense to go via Karwar or via Dharwad-Tinai Ghat route?
For your destination that is north of Colva, Dharwad Ramnagar Tinai will make more sense.

Quote:
Also from the border check-post perspective, which is faster? We are both vaccinated.
Both routes are equally busy with Tinai one a little lesser. But on holidays, the Tinai route witnesses considerable traffic entering Goa as it is a popular route now.

To be honest, you shouldn't be choosing a route based on Covid checkposts and time spend here. There are examples on this very thread where people have reported spending as much as 15 minutes to as less as 15 seconds.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 09:59   #5385
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
F
Does it make sense to go via Karwar or via Dharwad-Tinai Ghat route?

All guidance appreciated.
Dharwad-alnavar route is preferred. Except for 10-15 small patches of road work, rest is good.
Just a word of caution to keep you speeds low in forest sections as its narrow concrete road with no shoulder at all.

Vaccination check took less than 2 mins for us.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks