Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 11:33   #5431
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

While returning via Mollem not sure whats the reason but Google Maps diverted us and few vehicles after us through this narrow 12 mins longer route. Was in a rush and not very familiar with this route, so realized a bit late.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20211230110621_maps.jpg  

Old 30th December 2021, 12:12   #5432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
While returning via Mollem not sure whats the reason but Google Maps diverted us and few vehicles after us through this narrow 12 mins longer route. Was in a rush and not very familiar with this route, so realized a bit late.
I also was diverted into this route way back in 2018 as well. When I checked my timeline I could confirm that.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20211230120939_maps.jpg

The only reason I can think of for this is that the internal route would be faster compared to regular route due to slow moving trucks and the ascent and that cars and other smaller vehicles can make it to Mollem checkpost in a shorter time. On the main road there are chances that you may not get a chance to overtake slow moving vehicles. This route may have been a dynamically calculated one based on traffic at the time you passed.
Old 30th December 2021, 12:15   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GMaps always does that on this route, no idea why. Experienced this while returning to Pune on December 14, but ignored it and continued straight as all local cars were doing the same. This route option didn't have any traffic either.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 30th December 2021 at 12:17.
Old 30th December 2021, 12:16   #5434
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I was shown the diversion when I took this route few weeks back. Initially I was wondering if there was any road work / block ahead which was causing this. However saw buses and few other vehicles coming through the proper route, so decided not to take the diversion.
Old 30th December 2021, 12:22   #5435
BHPian

Infact Google maps behaved a bit weird quite a few times in Goa.... keeps suggesting the incorrect turns or at times misses out the diversions.
hsroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 21:21   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I also was diverted into this route way back in 2018 as well. When I checked my timeline I could confirm that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
GMaps always does that on this route, no idea why. Experienced this while returning to Pune on December 14, but ignored it and continued straight as all local cars were doing the same. This route option didn't have any traffic either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Even I was shown the diversion when I took this route few weeks back. Initially I was wondering if there was any road work / block ahead which was causing this. However saw buses and few other vehicles coming through the proper route, so decided not to take the diversion.
I looked into the highway on the google maps to find out why google is not using it for the directions and I found the issue. The road at 15.379606568900986, 74.14628356271237 is marked as a terminal road (lowest priority road, generally used for residential streets). Since this road is part of the highway, it should be drawn as highway. I have reported this to google. It may take long time for google to consider if only one person has reported. Hence request all of you to report this to google using "send feedback" on desktop or "contibute" from mobile. Just select the road and select the option "road drawn incorrectly" and mention that this is part of the highway and it should be drawn as highway road. As more people report the problem, it will get addressed by google sooner.
Landkruzer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:36   #5437
BHPian

Came back from Candolim yesterday and Google Maps was showing diversion from Anmod to tinai ghat in the beginning of the trip but later kept us on the main road to Ramnagar itself and it is in top shape, barring short patches which can be done in any car.

Was so happy to have crossed last Nelamangala toll within 9.5 hours but then for some reason, elevated road to yeshwantpur was closed (it was closed while going to Goa on Dec 26th also, any idea why?) and had to take the main road with a 45 minutes jam
Old 31st December 2021, 12:00   #5438
BHPian

Coming back from Colva tomorrow , would it be better to take the Goa - Karwar - Yellapur - Mundgod -Haveri - Bangalore route. Considering its 1st Jan there would be lot of cars driving back.
Old 31st December 2021, 12:05   #5439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Came back from Candolim yesterday and Google Maps was showing diversion from Anmod to tinai ghat in the beginning of the trip but later kept us on the main road to Ramnagar itself and it is in top shape, barring short patches which can be done in any car.

Was so happy to have crossed last Nelamangala toll within 9.5 hours but then for some reason, elevated road to yeshwantpur was closed (it was closed while going to Goa on Dec 26th also, any idea why?) and had to take the main road with a 45 minutes jam
They found some rusted cable during routine inspection of the flyover - hence the closure for repairs ( talk about timing ). Was in the news mentioning increase in Mamma metro patronage due to this road closure.
Old 31st December 2021, 13:39   #5440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Coming back from Colva tomorrow , would it be better to take the Goa - Karwar - Yellapur - Mundgod -Haveri - Bangalore route. Considering its 1st Jan there would be lot of cars driving back.
I drove from Karwar yesterday, not from Goa actually.

Overall in this route, 25% is in bad to worst state, remaining 75% is in very good shape. The key is to start early and with the mindset expecting bad roads, truck traffic and slower speeds for 25% of the journey, then this route is doable. Time lost here can be easily compensated with rest of the route.

Karwar to Ankola is a mix of bumpy two lane and smooth four lane roads. No need to race or try to overake on this narrow two lane roads, just wait for four lane roads to maintain speed. There are enough signboards informing about the diversions and the 4-lane sections.

The problematic stretch is between Ankola and Yellapura especially the Arabail Ghat section has completely broken roads. However it is a shorter ghat section. Another issue is constant truck traffic in both the directions which will slow down the speeds. If you start early, there wont be much traffic, you will have entire width of the road, swing between left and right lanes to tackle the bad sections. Patience is the key. Enjoy the greenary and drive without any stress. Look for Hotel Navami if you need restroom break. Surprisingly clean rest rooms and large parking space.

After Yellapura, the roads are smooth and wide till Kalghatgi. We skipped Mundgod and Tadas roads and went upto Gabbur toll plaza to join NH48 so that we could stop for lunch at Ganesh Hotel, Varur. Good food, large parking space and clean toilets.There are Shell and Reliance petrol bunks closer to this hotel to topup the fuel. So the extra distance till Varur is worth for a good pitstop. Otherwise, there are no good options for lunch till Davangere - Chitradurga.

On NH48, there are three diversions with bad roads. Again patience is the key here.

One more pain point is the entry to Bangalore due to flyover closure. Google didnt suggest alternate routes, still wanted us to go through traffic jam. We took NICE road to avoid the jams. So plan your route well in advance.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 31st December 2021 at 13:53.
Old 1st January 2022, 09:18   #5441
BHPian

Returned from Goa just before the new year.

Onward, did the Bangalore - Hubli cruising, with a pit stop at Apoorva Resorts for lunch at Davanagere. Very smooth roads. Took a break and stayed at The President at Hubli. Bangalore to Hubli with a 45 min break at Apoorva was 7 hrs. From Hubli - Dharwad - and then the Anmod Ghat section which had a few bad patches, but motorable in a sedan. Hubli to Goa was 4 hours.

Return, did a direct Goa - Bangalore. Got packed breakfast from the hotel. Total journey time including cumulative 2 hours of break was 13 hours.

Snippet on Google maps - she went crazy on the way back when we started from Goa. She re-routed us every 5 minutes trying to take us through narrow lanes. Was a painful 2 hours before we hit Anmod Ghat.

Snippet on Shell vs. HP Power - I drive an Elantra Petrol automatic, and clearly the engine response to Shell was far superior than to HP. Got a better mileage as well in Shell (about 10% more than HP). Interesting part is that you see (in general at various Shell fuel pumps) Uber and Ola taxis filling up fuel, along with transport vehicles. Something must be helping them - long term engine protection and therefore overall cost.
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:00   #5442
BHPian

We did a similar return journey last week and can confirm:

1. The Arabail ghat is broken and full of trucks and need to do it slowly - but the broken sections are lesser and not half as bad as taking the Sirsi route. Much better to take Ankola - Yellapur route.

2. Much better to take Yellapur - Kalghatgi route even though distance is longer, very little difference time wise. Mundgod option is single lane, slow and tiring almost the entire way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
I drove from Karwar yesterday, not from Goa actually.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd January 2022 at 11:49. Reason: Spacing and reducing the quoted portion for better readability
Old 3rd January 2022, 00:40   #5443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Route was Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Calangute.
Came back today in the same route. Anmod Ghat is much better now, roads are actually better than few of the Bangalore ones. Have not travelled in Tinai Ghats so don’t know how it is, but Anmod Ghat is easily doable in any car.
Left Candolim by 12 and reached Eletronic City at 11 PM including lunch and couple of other breaks. On return towards Mollem, Google was directing through a different route but ignored and came straight. Being a Sunday and 2nd Jan traffic was more. Near Anmod check post due to police checks there was a huge traffic pile up and we were stuck for close to an hour. But strangely at our turn in the check post KA cops did not ask us anything and let us go.
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:23   #5444
BHPian

Planning to leave Bangalore for Goa tomorrow morning and will take Tadas Route to reach Karwar and South Goa finally. Plan is to leave at 5 am from Seegehalli (Whitefield).

1. To exit Bangalore which route will be better? Google maps shows route via Hebbal to Peenya. Is this route the best or any other route is suggested?

2. We would like to stop for breakfast and lunch. Please suggest some good places for these halts.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:38   #5445
Senior - BHPian

Took the route via Anmod and returned yesterday, small patches in this route are damaged but doable even in a sedan. Those traveling this route at night, exercise caution -- in the damaged sections, at some places the road width reduces and one side of the road abruptly leads to deep ditches, travel at slow speeds.

We returned at night from Goa, and at one particular place found this a bit dangerous, there are no warnings / markings. There was Police checking at border.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks