Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:22   #5401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Regarding the bad sections around Anmod, as I mentioned earlier, its doable in any car. Only issue is, one has to be really careful if driving in low visibility situations since the deviations / road ending is not marked and may be tricky.

Video of the road from Mollem till Dharward by-pass will give you an idea.

I will prefer this route over the Chorla, even for North Goa considering that Chorla is not also in that good condition now. Hence those heading to Goa from Bangalore, is not going to save any time on heading towards Chorla.

Chorla road condition -

Driving inside Goa - Panaji to South

Only thing to consider while taking the Anmod ghat road and if heading to south Goa or if you are diving towards south of Panaji during your visit, is that NH66 (Old NH17) road widening is happening. While the widening work is almost done, the new Zuari bridge work is ongoing and this causes a delay on the north bank of the river.

While we were there, the south bound traffic was diverted from Panaji side through the town of Maina & Agacaim while the north bound traffic was taking the NH66 itself.

This was since the north bank had approach road work ongoing for the Zuari bridge. Road condition was fine, but you may have to add around 10 or 15 mins to your commute time due to slow moving traffic there.

Apart from that, we travelled on NH66 from slightly north of Mapusa side till almost near to Margao. Most of the 4 laning was done and at places where its not done, traffic was diverted through single carriageway, where the road was completed. There was no point where one has to take a diversion or go via patchy road. Only major diversion remains around bridge as mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Please share the exact route you took as gmaps showing different options.
As I was mentioning above, for onward we had taken Chorla and return via Anmod/ Mollem.

Would suggest Anmod / Mollem route for you too.

From Dharward byepass, take the Ramnagar exit. Past that - Anmod- Mollem- Ponda- Join Nh 66 just south of Panji. Take right - cross Mandovi bridge. Cross the exit of Mapusa and then exit from NH 66.

This is the Google timeline screengrab of the route I took. I had started from Mandrem beach, few KMS sound of Arambol.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20211222121620.png

Last edited by mpksuhas : 22nd December 2021 at 12:24.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:21   #5402
BHPian

Folks, I'm driving to Goa from Bangalore tomorrow. Planning to take the Dharwad -->Anmod route.

My question: I have 5 adults who are all vaccinated and two kids 14 and 7. Is there a need for RT-PCR for the kids? Are they checking at the border for RT-PCR?
I'm unable to find any information about this online. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:44   #5403
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove from GA to KA yesterday through Karwar. No one bothered to check for anything covid-related. Surprisingly asked us to open a couple of bags to check if we were carrying any alcohol bottles. Have done a few drives from GA to KA this year and this is the first time the cops have actually checked. Usually when they see only a couple in the car, they wave us through. The physical checks for bottles are usually reserved for 'guys only' groups. So I guess they're being extra vigilant around this year-end time.

Seeing several queries about whether checks are being done for children's RT-PCR test reports while driving into Goa. One request- please read the older posts in this thread before asking the same questions. Several people have already answered that query. It's unfortunate if we just keep posting and asking the same questions that have already been answered just a couple of posts before, or just a page or two before because we're too lazy to read through the useful info people have already taken the trouble to put up!

Last edited by am1m : 23rd December 2021 at 14:45.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 16:36   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Seeing several queries about whether checks are being done for children's RT-PCR test reports while driving into Goa. One request- please read the older posts in this thread before asking the same questions. Several people have already answered that query. It's unfortunate if we just keep posting and asking the same questions that have already been answered just a couple of posts before, or just a page or two before because we're too lazy to read through the useful info people have already taken the trouble to put up!
I have read the last 9-10 pages which cover posts from November beginning to yesterday. Given the ever-changing scenario of COVID restrictions, what was written a few days ago may not be relevant anymore. So asking the most recent travelers helps to get a better idea. Also, my query was very specific about kids RTPCR, for which, IIRC there is only a post where the member said they didn't check, which doesn't mean that it is not being checked for others. Hence my repeat query!
madhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:45   #5405
BHPian

Most states have left the kids' RT-PCR requirement unclear and vague. If you do not want to take risk of getting stranded at the order or needing to scramble to get the testing done, it is better to do it before you start your journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
I have read the last 9-10 pages which cover posts from November beginning to yesterday. Given the ever-changing scenario of COVID restrictions, what was written a few days ago may not be relevant anymore. So asking the most recent travelers helps to get a better idea. Also, my query was very specific about kids RTPCR, for which, IIRC there is only a post where the member said they didn't check, which doesn't mean that it is not being checked for others. Hence my repeat query!
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:52   #5406
BHPian

Reached Arambol at 3 pm . Had started from Bangalore at 4:30 am. Got 3 railway crossings and we're stuck over 10 minutes on each while driving between Hubli and Anmod. Overall spent 40 minutes on railway crossings as multiple trains passed. On Mollem checkpost they are checking for vaccination certificate and RTPCR for kids. Also post 3 kms from Mollem check post they have an interceptor , 6 cars before me were overspeeding due to empty roads. Speed.limit there is 60 signs are put up. So please watchout and be careful. Cops stopped all 6 and cut challan.

Rest all route was fine. Anmod is still not ready completely so be prepared for few bad stretches but easily doable by Sedans. Saw a Honda City covering same roads. Hope this helps as this is from yesterday travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Got RTPCR for my kids done from Dr. Lal Path labs . They are charging Rs 750. Gave sample on 22nd morning at 10 Am reports came in same day by 8 Pm. You can what's app them the Name , Gender ,Date . Time , Date of Birth , Address .
Thier what's app no is : 9164328090
Share the details on above no. They message , call and confirm the appointment. Good to place request at least 36 to 48 hours in advance as there may be rush post Christmas due to travel. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2021 at 17:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 24th December 2021, 14:53   #5407
BHPian

No COVID checks through Karwar, just now came through
Old 24th December 2021, 18:24   #5408

Just returned from a BLR-Goa trip (actually returning.. 3 hrs still to BLR). Thought will update on some recent questions.
1) BLR to Anjuna - took the hubli, dharwad, tinai ghat, anmod ghat, Panjim route. Excellent roads except for a few km between Tinai ghat and Anmod ghat where construction is going on. Go a bit slow.. nothing to worry. Took 9.5 hours (only bio breaks) starting at morning 5:30 am from Mahadevpura / Whitefield area
2) COVID - double vaccination check for adults as we entered goa. No checks being done for kids (though we had RT PCR report.. they didn't ask).
3) Anjuna to Palolem - some road wor and diversions on highway.
4) Palolem to Bangalore.. came via Karwar, Ankola, Yellapur, Tadas, Haveri, Bangalore. Started at 12 noon, hoping to reach by 9 pm, including a 40 minute lunch break. Karwar to Yellapur is good roads with some bad patches and potholes which might catch you by surprise.. but it was a fun drive if you love driving -the potholes added to the fun of the twisty road! From Tadas, we took a right to get to main highway.. went into some narrow roads following google map. I would suggest take the alternate of left from Tadas.. the highway is much closer, so I am hoping it will be a better option. And yes, of course no COVID checks while entering KA. Though I could see the other direction (entering Goa though Karwar) some checks were going on.. presumably vaccination checks.

Hope this helps. Drive safe and have fun. Keep your masks on pls!
Old 24th December 2021, 22:28   #5409

I reached Goa via Haveri, Yellapur, Tadas, Ankola and Karavar on Sunday December 19th. The roads indeed have deteriorated since my last trip in September but overall still very manageable all through. I did scrape the underbelly of my 3 series once on the Yellapur - Ankola stretch which has deep craters (could have been avoided if I had been more careful). During the September trip, cops asked for double vaccination certificate for my wife and I and when we showed the printouts they did not even look at it - just waved us through. Didn’t ask for RTPCR for my 5 year old. This time around we were not stopped at all, we slowed down and they just waved us through. No checks at all!
Old 25th December 2021, 06:32   #5410
Senior - BHPian

We are heading to South Goa (Benaulim) from Bangalore tomorrow. Thanks to all of you on this thread for all the info!

Where is the nearest shell fuel station? On the route (AH48) via Mollem, I see the last one is Shell Pale just before Hubli. Is this the last on my route? My hotel is about 200kms from this place.
Old 25th December 2021, 21:24   #5411
BHPian

Ok so this was an absolute anti-climax of sorts. I took the Dharwad Anmod route. I had got the RT-PCR done for my kids and also carried printouts. When we were stopped I pulled out the printouts and the guy didnt even look at it and waved us through. I felt like I should ask him for a refund of the RTPCR tests. There were a few more cars parked but they were all hunting for the vaccination report on their phone and were taking time. Mine was better than a Redbull pitstop....almost.

Btw I didn't notice the interceptor... But there were a few cars that were stopped so I thought this was for the vaccination check so had slowed down. Thanks to those cars for saving some money.

I didn't take the Tinai diversion as maps suggested I go straight. The parts of the roads that are bad, are really bad. Otherwise a good drive.

Thanks to this thread, helped anticipate quite a few things and to be prepared.
madhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 00:27   #5412
BHPian

We drove 24th December to South Goa (Palolem/Agonda) via Sirsi. We took the Blr - Davangere - Haveri - Sirsi - Karwar - Cancona - Agonda route. Left at 5.00 am and reached about 4.00pm with breakfast break and lunch break.

Overall route was all good.. but Sirsi - Kumta is under construction so road is closed - hence there is a diversion towards Ankola - in that route - there's about 30-40 minutes of no road, only gravel - which took time and was quite tiring.. if looking on Google maps, from somewhere a little before Vaddi till around the Mabagi junction. The rest of it is okay - but of course, after Haveri it's all 2-lane type roads. The Haveri junction is below the six lane highway - so you either have to follow Google instructions and get off the freeway before the junction via a dirt-gravel ramp or make a u-turn after the junction. Not properly marked or anything on the actual highway.

We stopped at Apoorva for breakfast around 8.30am - place was packed to the brim and severely short-staffed with 2-3 guys managing, little bit of a mess.

At the border, the guy just glanced at our vaccination printout from afar and waved us through. Didn't check or ask for kids rt-pcr.
Old 26th December 2021, 10:51   #5413

Happy to report that Anmod to Mollem straight road is good with minor issues as reported above. Any car can go through. I saw low clearance cars go in an angle, and were fine. No need to take Tinai ghat/Rangarook diversion.
Karnataka border folks were checking RTO items only: registration, insurance, PUC, license.
Goa border folks were only checking ‘full vaccination’ certificate of adults. They didn’t ask RTPCR of the kid. Though we had RTPCR of all three.
In both cases the queue seemed long but immediately multiple staffers came and cleared us in no time. Efficiency was unexpected. Carrying printouts helped too.
Will report return experience at the border once I’m back.
Old 26th December 2021, 11:25   #5414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Also post 3 kms from Mollem check post they have an interceptor , 6 cars before me were overspeeding due to empty roads. Speed.limit there is 60 signs are put up. So please watchout and be careful. Cops stopped all 6 and cut challan.
I saw this update too late, the Interceptor was at 15°21'35.6"N 74°11'11.4"E
https://goo.gl/maps/tvUszDgjE6YsMX129 and I was trapped. I was going 90. The speed limit is 60 in most places in Goa. The fine is 1600.

I hope this helps someone.
nitro_xlr8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 21:35   #5415
BHPian

Guys, I too did cross an Interceptor team shortly after Mollem on 24th afternoon. So please watch out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks