Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2021, 19:35   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
Apart from the famous Amrut hotel , Shweta lunch home serves some amazing sea food.

Just thought of adding it here for the foodie Bhpians.
Swetha Lunch Home is a great place to enjoy sea foods at reasonable price. We had visited couple of times and so as number of BHPians. Swetha Lunch Home was well covered on this thread during 2015 - 16.

Last edited by airbus : 7th November 2021 at 19:55.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 19:54   #5297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Guru Kottureshwara has gone downhill in quality and I wouldn’t recommend at all,
+100 to this.

Guru Kottureshwara has gone downhill since several years ago - benne dose in any of the umpteen options in Bangalore would be better that that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you all love Benne Dosas, it’ll be a small detour into Davanagere.

‘Guru Kottureshwara’ is a popular one. It’ll be a sumptuous breakfast.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:20   #5298
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to visit Goa by air with kids from Karnataka.
I read posts people travelling to Goa with kids by road, but not by air.
Hence this query.

While the adults are fully vaccinated, wondering if RT-PCR for kids is absolutely necessary for kids at the origin/destination airports. I prefer to avoid it for kids, as far as possible.
The respective airlines' websites updated in Sep'21 mention about this requirement for kids, but I'm not sure about the recent developments.

Anyone who flew to Goa with kids please share your experience about RT-PCR requirements for kids.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 13:02   #5299
BHPian

Wow, very nice to see the recommendations on restaurants and their reviews pouring in. Should be very useful for all. Thank you BHPians.

Collated most of them and several other links from older posts as well.

(Maps Link) Restaurants on the Bangalore - Goa Route - https://goo.gl/maps/9XrkKazRbg3bDsmo6
(Max ten allowed as destinations on google maps)

Maps list - Bangalore Goa Highway Restaurants - https://goo.gl/maps/AmU7j9FhAHtDE9aC9

Couldn't add this to the list - Sugar & Spice restaurant gabbur hubli - https://goo.gl/maps/THAkKeQnvyw7FC2V9

Few bad feedback from this thread on Kamat Upachar - Chabbi, NH 48, Hubli - so be careful.

Few not so good feedback from this thread on Sri Guru Kottureshwara Butter Dosa Hotel, Davanagere and the alternates recommended were Sagar Benne Dosa Hotel & Nammur Dosa - Davangere

Hope this list helps... have fun and safe driving.

Monish
monish_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 18:52   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
ew not so good feedback from this thread on Sri Guru Kottureshwara Butter Dosa Hotel, Davanagere
This placed is packed with people traveling out of bangalore and he tries to churn out dosa's at a faster rate taking the quality down.

last weekend on our way to Goa, we went to shanthappa benne dose hotel. Certainly don't expect a proper seating, congested place and has no tourists at all, but its filled with locals. we literally waited 30 mins to get our dosa and i must say they were amazing!
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 10:51   #5301
BHPian

Planning a trip to Goa end of November and would like to have options for a refuel + breakfast stop near Davangere.

I can make it to Goa on a single tank but would prefer to tank up midway so that I only need to top up again on the way out.

I see there was a Kamat + Reliance in Ranebannur which would have been the perfect option but that seems to be closed according to Google maps.

Are there any other similar options nearby with a combined breakfast + fuel stop?

Otherwise my other option is to have breakfast at Apoorva and then tank up somewhere near Hubli but I would prefer to stop just once.
Old 11th November 2021, 21:55   #5302
BHPian

Did a round trip from Bangalore to Goa. Took this route
South Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Bankapur - Haveri - Chitradurga - Bangalore
My observations
- Goa to Ankola - Four lane work is in progress. Existing lanes are in good shape
- Ankola to Yellapur - Battered roads with lot of trucks. Need to move slow
- Yellapur to Bankapur- Again Battered but doable (dont need an SUV)
- Cops did not ask for RT-PCR report but keep your masks ON and keep a vaccination copy

Goa weather is at its best now
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:58   #5303
BHPian

We are planning our year end trip to Karwar in December. I have gone through almost all the pages starting from 2020 and collected very useful info from this thread.

The straightforward route that appeals to me is via Tadas-Kalghatgi or even Gabbur - Kalghatgi to Karwar. With my driving speed, looks like I need to budget around 12 hrs journey with a 4AM start.

I have a slightly different query.
On special request from ladies that are going to be in the car, I am also evaluating alternate option of an overnight stay in between to make it less tiring and comfortable for them. This will also help us reach Karwar, fresh, early next day and enjoy the rest of the day.

I have come across 3 options from the posts here for the break journey
1. Break at Davangere or Hubli
2. Break at Shimoga
3. Break at Mangalore or Udupi

But their number one priority is clean wash room facilities on the way, at approx 3 hrs interval. Which of these routes will be more suitable with this requirement in mind?

Last edited by mankuthimma : 14th November 2021 at 19:00.
Old 14th November 2021, 20:08   #5304

We completed our annual Goa trip from 6-Nov to 12-Nov. Missed it last year due to lockdowns.
We been to Goa multiple times but always stayed at North Goa. So, this time we decided to try out South Goa and selected Palolem beach. Travelled in Hyundai i10 with total 3 persons.

Onward Journey - Bangalore - Tukur - Davanagere - Hubli - Hubli Bypass - Goa Road to Ramnagar - Diversion to Tinai Ghat - Mollem - Ponda -Cancona
Started early by 4:30AM from Jakkur, reached Apoorva Resort in Davangere by 8:30am for breakfast and reached Mollem in Goa by 2:30 for Lunch. Overall, less than 10 hours’ drive time considering we spent 45 minutes for breakfast. Starting very early was key and helped us to navigate busy section till Tumkur comfortably. I drive comfortably and usually don't exceed 80-100 km/h speed.

We had our 2 vaccination print outs ready and were cleared at Mollem in 1 minute by a cursory glance at our documents. In fact, Policeman appreciated us for carrying print outs. He was upset with other cars who were trying to show the certificates on mobile. Please remember you hardly get mobile signals for Airtel, Vodafone in most areas in Goa except in crowded residential areas. There were many cars held up for some reason, but we were lucky or probably well prepared.

Road condition was excellent throughout including Anmod Ghat. Tinai Ghat diversion surface is broken at many places but still comfortable. Not sure about main NH road of Anmod Ghat after Ramnagar but looks like concrete surfacing work is progressing there and google by default shows Tinai Ghat diversion. There were many cars in both direction on this narrow diversion road.

After staying 3 days in Ponda at our Temple we went to Cancona and stayed in Palolem beach for 2 days. We selected Sambit Sarovar property based on various reviews. Palolem beach was very nice and clean. It was less crowded. Usual Foreign tourists were missing for obvious reasons. Even the usual hustle on main street was missing due to reduced tourists.
Our 2 day stay at hotel was very nice and relaxed and we enjoyed it a lot though we felt hotel price was on higher side.

Return Journey 1 - Cancona - Karwar - Ankola - Honnavar - Jog Falls - Sagar - Shimoga
Excellent roads throughout. Even Ghat section from Honnavar to Sagar is smooth tarmac. Sagar-Shimoga is excellent as usual with some bad stretch near Shimoga. Jog Falls had good water but not like peak monsoon full force we experienced once in the past.
We stayed overnight in Shimoga. This certainly was a wise decision to break our journey. We stayed at Royal Orchid Hotel based on other reviews in this forum. They have extra-large rooms with nice bedding and arranged for nice extra bed on request.

Room had all the comforts and was well thought out. Our experience from check-in to check-out was exceptional. Security was very helpful in assisting with parking. We had our dinner at in house Tiger Trail restaurant which served fabulous food. Morning breakfast spread was also nice.
Overall, it was value for money and certainly a five-star experience at much reasonable cost.

Return Journey 2 - Shimoga - Bhadravathi Bypass - Tarikere – Hosadurga- Hiriyur - Sira - Tumkur – Bangalore

Started from hotel at around 9:30am and reached home in Jakkur by 4pm with a lunch break near Sira.

Some small sections of roads near Bhadravathi and Tarikere are bad but manageable. Tarikere-Hiriyur was dream drive due to foggy condition (Chennai cyclone effect). Most of this 100kms 2 lane stretch is in pretty good condition with few towns in between. Some 5 kms section of the road is not built at all with a narrow lane for both directions. From Hiriyur it is usual NH48 with some bad section near Tumkur. Weather was excellent with light drizzle throughout.

Overall, we had a very nice break of 7 days post Diwali.
CoolGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 20:46   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Planning a trip to Goa end of November and would like to have options for a refuel + breakfast stop near Davangere.

I can make it to Goa on a single tank but would prefer to tank up midway so that I only need to top up again on the way out.

I see there was a Kamat + Reliance in Ranebannur which would have been the perfect option but that seems to be closed according to Google maps.

Are there any other similar options nearby with a combined breakfast + fuel stop?

Otherwise my other option is to have breakfast at Apoorva and then tank up somewhere near Hubli but I would prefer to stop just once.
I tank up regularly over here https://maps.app.goo.gl/9s8UkK9qhcWcDWNy6
Yes - the adjoining Kamat has closed but you can take a restroom break here and tank up.

Alternatively, there is a Shell pump that has come up in recent times that has a convenience store attached. This is the location
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DmuvY6eiRxhaXvcq9

I am told Apoorva has pretty slow service.
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:14   #5306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
alternate option of an overnight stay in between to make it less tiring and comfortable for them....
2. Break at Shimoga
This would be the best option for an overnight stay - Royal Orchid on the main road has good reviews and enclosed parking.

Quote:
But their number one priority is clean wash room facilities on the way, at approx 3 hrs interval. Which of these routes will be more suitable with this requirement in mind?
For Karwar, my default route would be Shimoga - Talguppa - Honnavara - Karwar with an early start. With a 4.30 am start, I am usually at Shimoga for Breakfast at 8.15 am with a quick bio break stops at Essar fuel bunk, very clean rest rooms, before the turn-off to Tarikere. Else you can also stop at Bhargavi fuels in Shimoga if you only want to stop for restroom break. A few hours later, you can stop at Hotel Sagar, Honnavara for coffee/restroom break. Post that you can easily reach Karwar.
I would suggest you stick to your current plan of leaving early and getting to Karwar by late afternoon/early evening with breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
have breakfast at Apoorva and then tank up somewhere near Hubli but I would prefer to stop just once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
I am told Apoorva has pretty slow service.
Apoorva is quiet slow and the food is nothing great either. I would suggest you stop at Mysore Cafe (need to enter town after the new bypass ends).

Last edited by procrj : 15th November 2021 at 11:16.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:42   #5307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
quick bio break stops at Essar fuel bunk, very clean rest rooms, before the turn-off to Tarikere. Else you can also stop at Bhargavi fuels in Shimoga if you only want to stop for restroom break. A few hours later, you can stop at Hotel Sagar, Honnavara for coffee/restroom break.
Thank you procrj sir ! Always the accurate info from you !
This should help calm the nerves.

btw, on a sidenote, my wife's gripe on every road trip has been the need for a crowd sourced app, by the women, for the women, with star rating on cleanliness and hygiene quality of the rest rooms along the highway. Something to ponder about..
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:19   #5308
BHPian

Good evening.

Driving to North Goa this week, however, need to break the journey on day-1 as I have meetings scheduled during 2nd half.

Was looking to break at either Hubli-Dharwad or Belgaum.

I have done some math on driving from Belgaum to North Goa vs. taking the Anmod route from Dharwad to North Goa, also factoring the distance between Dharwad and Belgaum - the net result is savings of 10 kms and 10 mins if I choose Belgaum - so, not an issue there.

Any suggestions on a good family hotel at Hubli-Dharwad for 1 night? I am not willing to go beyond ₹2500.

Safety, hygiene and internet is a must - if it's not too much to ask in this budget!

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 15th November 2021 at 20:22.
Old 18th November 2021, 14:25   #5309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Good evening.

Any suggestions on a good family hotel at Hubli-Dharwad for 1 night? I am not willing to go beyond ₹2500.

Safety, hygiene and internet is a must - if it's not too much to ask in this budget!

Thanks for your time.
Check Ananth residency for wifi aspect, it is quite fine hotel which must have tariff within 2500. I stayed there 7 years back at tariff around 2k. In 3k few one of the best hubli hotels you will get too if you try few travel sites or keep watch on dynamic pricing plunge for few days.
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 14:51   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
- Ankola to Yellapur - Battered roads with lot of trucks. Need to move slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Route was cuncolim-canacona-karwar-yellapur-Gabbur toll plaza- then on to NH4 to Banglalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Post karwar the roads till Yellapur are just OK. single lane road which has lost the surface tar at several places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nravindra77 View Post
3. From Yellapur -> Travel on NH-52 -> Join on NH-66 towards Karwar/Goa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmendonz View Post
The stretch between Ankola and Yellapur is in bad shape, only some stretches are good. Kalghatgi to Tadas has bad sections. My opinion is the Dharwad Anmod route is the best currently.
The quoted folks have travelled Yellapur to Ankola/Karwar stretch during last few weeks. The reports had been like - bad shape, just Ok, battered roads, and some others have not reacted on road condition.

My destination is cavelossim which is relatively close to southern/Karwar border of Goa and I like/prefer karwar route over Anmod-Mollem route for southern goa, thus looking some feedback/advice/reassurance if yellapur-Ankola (and Tadas-Kalaghatgi) is tolerable, than I will be happy to take Karwar route. Or is it so avoidable that taking Dharwad-Anmod-Mollem makes more sense currently despite the Tinai ghat detour?

There is a yellow alert from AMD for 20th Nov, the day i will have to drive either of these sections, to add as an another factor to the road/route condition.

Will appreciate some for/against advice if can emphasized from people who have travelled this stretch recently. TIA.

Last edited by Throtttle : 18th November 2021 at 15:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks