Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:06   #4771
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am planning to stay in Candolim/Arpora area for 2-3 days. Looks like Amboli will be longer? Later plan to drive down to South Goa and stay fro 2 days. Considering Shivamogga route for return leg. I will be driving in Innova, guess GC won't be an issue via Chorla.
I think the Chorla ghat route would be fine in that case. It is neither much longer (as it was for Majorda) and GC will definitely not be an issue. Have a good trip!
anand_saraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 19:54   #4772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be driving in Innova, guess GC won't be an issue via Chorla.
During our recent trip to Goa we took the following route both onward and return journey: Bangalore - Hubballi Dharwad bypass - Kittur - Bidi - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Calangute.

This route is fine for any type of vehicles. No worries with ground clearance of Innova
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:14   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Went through all the recent posts and bit confused about road to south Goa. I am visiting this month and was planning to take Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route. If this is not recommended, what other better options do I have?

1. Chitradurga-Shimoga-Honnavar
2. Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta

I am OK on time spent since there is no hurry (first time in life with this statement) and hence was thinking to take the Hubli Ankola route. Want to stay on NH as much as possible. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:24   #4774
BHPian

According to one of the previous posts the Shimoga route is pretty good. The route from Hubli - Karwar - South Goa is pretty decent (we came back on it last week) with a few small stretches where there are some deep ruts in the road. These are motorable sections though and nothing major to worry about other than slowing down. The stretch between Chitradurga and Hubli is a pain due to regular diversions. That slows down the journey considerably.
yamraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:41   #4775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Went through all the recent posts and bit confused about road to south Goa. I am visiting this month and was planning to take Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route. If this is not recommended, what other better options do I have?

2. Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta

I am OK on time spent since there is no hurry (first time in life with this statement) and hence was thinking to take the Hubli Ankola route. Want to stay on NH as much as possible. Any suggestions are welcome.
Hubli-Ankola is still fine as along as you do not mind the following:
1. 15 odd diversions between Chitradurga & Hubli. The road overall is quite fine.
2. A short stretch of 2-3 kms in Kalghatgi town is very bad due to white topping
3. Road on the Arabail Ghat is bumpy but manageable
4. Road between Ankola and Karwar has few incomplete 4 Lane stretches which again means few diversions
This is experience from my recent trip 2 weeks back. I also heard from a friend who traveled last week that Sirsi to Kumta was not great. So, maybe it is better to stick to Hubli Ankola IMHO.

Rahulb22

Last edited by rahulb22 : 3rd January 2020 at 13:49. Reason: Line spacing
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:53   #4776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hubli-Ankola is still fine as along as you do not mind the following:
1. 15 odd diversions between Chitradurga & Hubli. The road overall is quite fine.
2. A short stretch of 2-3 kms in Kalghatgi town is very bad due to white topping
3. Road on the Arabail Ghat is bumpy but manageable
4. Road between Ankola and Karwar has few incomplete 4 Lane stretches which again means few diversions
Our last trip to Dandeli in October 2019 measured the diversions to 26 between Chitradurga and Hubli. I hope they are still the same and had added 1.5 hours of extra drive time overall. However with fastag reducing a fraction out of it I am planning to take Hubli Ankola route only. Other routes are slower and narrower but if not in good shape better to skip them altogether.
While returning I will try Honnavar Shimoga Chitradurga route. Have not taken that for a decade now, atleast to avoid the diversions.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 3rd January 2020 at 20:56.
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:49   #4777
Distinguished - BHPian

I juat came back from Goa. Onward was via Hubli and after Ranebennur, the roads are mostly under construction.

Took the below route and I'd suggest this over Hubli route.

Baga - Panjim - Margao - Karwar - Kumta - Jog falls - Shimoga - Sira - Hiriyur - Tumkur - NICE Road - Ecity. Of these entire route, possibly 10 kms will be average to bad roads, rest are good to excellent.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 11:13   #4778
BHPian

Thank you NPV and swiftnfurious. I just did a Goa trip via shimoga route. Will be putting up the travelogue soon.
ankitsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 09:47   #4779
BHPian

Quote:

2. Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta

For South Goa, the best option is Tumkur-Chitradurga-Shivamogga-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Around 620 kms to border of Goa but the roads are excellent and traffic lesser. Adigas in Shivamogga is midway so good break option.

If you go through Hubli, you will have to manage the under construction stretches and the delays.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 10:59   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
While returning I will try Honnavar Shimoga Chitradurga route. Have not taken that for a decade now, atleast to avoid the diversions.
I have taken the Chitradurga to Shimoga route via Channagiri couple of weeks back, and in my opinion, its not better than facing the diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli. It took me exactly the same time, via Chitradurga -Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar, than it normally takes me via the Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar route, taken into account the extra time due to slowing down due to diversions. The roads from Shimoga to Honnavar are very good, baring a few kms, but Honnavar to Ankola, is quite a uneven surface and not pleasurable when driving in stiffer suspension cars.
gautamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 12:21   #4781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
I have taken the Chitradurga to Shimoga route via Channagiri couple of weeks back, and in my opinion, its not better than facing the diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli. It took me exactly the same time, via Chitradurga -Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar, than it normally takes me via the Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar route, taken into account the extra time due to slowing down due to diversions. The roads from Shimoga to Honnavar are very good, baring a few kms, but Honnavar to Ankola, is quite a uneven surface and not pleasurable when driving in stiffer suspension cars.
Any idea how does Chitradurga-Shimoga-Goa compare against Goa- Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Sirsi-Haveri route?
Old 8th January 2020, 14:34   #4782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chitradurga-Shimoga-Goa
Channagiri Shimoga stretch was bad as of Dec mid. Would suggest you stick to Hiriyur - Tarikere - Shimoga if you do plan to take Shimoga route.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 16:45   #4783
BHPian

Hi. Planning to Drive/Ride Bangalore to Goa (Candolim) on the Republic day weekend. Intend to take the following route: Tumkur-Sira-Hiriyur-Chitradurga-Haveri-Hubli-Dharwad-Londa-Anmod-Ponda-Panaji-Candolim. I would appreciate an update on road conditions from anyone who's been on this route in the last 10 days. Thanks.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:19   #4784
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Bunkapur Mundgod Yellapur route recently ?
It seems to be open with a short deviation near the under construction Shidlagundi Bridge.
Google maps suggests this route for south goa.
Old 14th January 2020, 12:26   #4785
BHPian

Used the Bunkapur road around Christmas the road is not too bad but a little slow as it is narrow. Came through Hubli on the way back which has a lot of diversions the former is preferred if you are driving during the day.
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks