Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:27   #4801
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Guys, planning to do Pune - Agonda (South Goa) during mid Feb. I'll leave from Pune around 4 AM.

I have gone through posts in the thread & it seems that recommended route is Anmod ghat - Mollem. Can anyone suggest how to reach to Agonda from Mollem? Should I take Dharbandora or Shigao from Mollem? Google map suggests Shigao.
Old 27th January 2020, 16:26   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Guys, planning to do Pune - Agonda (South Goa) during mid Feb. I'll leave from Pune around 4 AM.

I have gone through posts in the thread & it seems that recommended route is Anmod ghat - Mollem. Can anyone suggest how to reach to Agonda from Mollem? Should I take Dharbandora or Shigao from Mollem? Google map suggests Shigao.
Both routes are OK. Dharbandora rout is a few KM longer than Shigao/Colem. Eventually these two routes merge. Shigao route has more turns via Colem.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:31   #4803
BHPian

Hello All,

I am travelling to South Goa (Palolem) from Electronic City in Bangalore, it would be a night drive. Kindly suggest the best route and possible pit stops, or relatively safe places to stop.

The other option we are contemplating is to drive upto Davangere, night halt there and then proceed the rest distance in the early morning, like say a 5 AM start.

Please suggest best route and possible stops for breakfast, or bio-breaks etc.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 28th January 2020, 21:09   #4804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
The other option we are contemplating is to drive upto Davangere, night halt there and then proceed the rest distance in the early morning, like say a 5 AM start.
That would be a good plan. I have done that recently (4pm start from B'lore. Around 10 pm dinner from Apoorva Resorts, Davangere). This is very good hotel to halt too. Slightly expensive, hence I opted to stay at another budget hotel inside Davangere town.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 08:22   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Hello All,
I am travelling to South Goa (Palolem) from Electronic City in Bangalore, it would be a night drive. Kindly suggest the best route and possible pit stops, or relatively safe places to stop.
Please suggest best route and possible stops for breakfast, or bio-breaks etc.

Thank you in advance.
Here are my usual routes if I start a day early by afternoon/evening from Bangalore.

1. Bangalore-Davanagere (Stay at SankamA Boutique Hotel, just 1 km inside from highway)-Hubli bypass-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
2. Bangalore-Davanagere (Stay at SankamA Boutique Hotel, just 1 km inside from highway)-Hubli bypass-Anmod-Mollem
3. Bangalore-Davanagere (Stay at SankamA Boutique Hotel, just 1 km inside from highway)-Haveri-Sirsi-Kumta-Karwar-Goa

The recommendation for this hotel since it is decent and way inexpensive than Apoorva resort. Since all the ghats are bad, best route seems to be option 1 based on some recent posts in this thread. Few folks tried Chitradurga-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Goa too to avoid the 25+ diversions, but reported it as a slow route. I would recommend option 1 though slow it can provide multiple pit stops (Kamat Upachars, Atithya and other hotels at regular intervals) and you remain on highway all the time except between Hubli and Ankola (That too is highway but not a big one ). Best to avoid options 2 and 3 considering the ghat conditions. Atleast the ghat section in option 1 is decent.

PS: If you can fly to Goa that seems to be the best option for now. But it is upto you.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 29th January 2020 at 08:26.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 06:50   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Did a very quick trip to Goa over the weekend with two of my friends.

We took the regular route to Goa via Londa. Roads are under construction for over 10kms with frequent deviations and uneven surface. The dust is very unsettling. Avoid it.

While coming back we took the Chorla ghat route. It is in good condition, absolutely no issues. Heavy commercial vehicles are banned to go up this route and this helps a lot.

Hubli to Chitradurga has a lot of deviation and will add atleast 90mins to the travel time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 16:48   #4807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Did a very quick trip to Goa over the weekend with two of my friends.

We took the regular route to Goa via Londa. Roads are under construction for over 10kms with frequent deviations and uneven surface. The dust is very unsettling. Avoid it.

While coming back we took the Chorla ghat route. It is in good condition, absolutely no issues. Heavy commercial vehicles are banned to go up this route and this helps a lot.

Hubli to Chitradurga has a lot of deviation and will add atleast 90mins to the travel time.
Which car did you drive? I assume you took the Anmod Ghat via Ramnagar. I am planning to take my Tiago NRG with GC of 180mm. I assume that will help to deal with bad roads and concrete sections of the ghat.
Old 4th February 2020, 16:50   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Which car did you drive? I assume you took the Anmod Ghat via Ramnagar. I am planning to take my Tiago NRG with GC of 180mm. I assume that will help to deal with bad roads and concrete sections of the ghat.
It was Nexon. Unless you are planning a visit to South Goa, I wouldn't recommend this road, better take the Chorla Ghat.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 17:28   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It was Nexon. Unless you are planning a visit to South Goa, I wouldn't recommend this road, better take the Chorla Ghat.
No Sir, destination is Quepem, near to Madgaon. The only choices I have are Hubli-Ankola-Goa or Dharwad-Anmod-Goa. Considering the distance I am thinking to go for second choice. Chorla will be too off track and I will need to cover 3/4th of Goa southwards. First option is slow due to road constructions near Kalghatgi and anyways distance wise too long (~65KM more than option 2).

I hope NRG's 180mm GC will help me dealing with all possible bad patches. Are there any specific areas/issues to look for on this route other than heavy dust and non shouldered concrete road edges?

PS: Are the concrete sections of ghat wide enough for two big vehicles to cross each other? Orginal road at KA side was too narrow and badly broken on many turns in ghat.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2020 at 17:05. Reason: Spacing
Old 4th February 2020, 18:38   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: Are the concrete sections of ghat wide enough for two big vehicles to cross each other? Orginal road at KA side was too narrow and badly broken on many turns in ghat.
Then, Anmod route is the way to go.
Ground clearance is not the problem. Due to construction there is lot of dust and at places there is steep shoulders.
Suggest you do the trip in daylight and avoid traveling at night.
Old 6th February 2020, 16:57   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
PS: If you can fly to Goa that seems to be the best option for now. But it is upto you.
Thanks for posting all details. That was helpful. I will be driving down to goa this weekend. Going with option 1 as you suggested. Bad road is not a problem when i will be going in safari. Yes flying is best option but problem is local transport in Goa is bad and very expensive. Its not a leisure trip but more of spiritual ones for me
Old 10th February 2020, 12:32   #4812
BHPian

Greetings fellow BHPian's!

I am planning a Goa trip this weekend. After reading the very useful reviews and suggestions in this thread i have decided to take the below route:
Onward: Bangalore - Hiriyur - Shivamogga - sagar - honnavar - karwar - south Goa

My reasons:
1. I dont mind an extra 20-30 kms as long as the roads are good without potholes/repair work. GC is my biggest worry!
2. Scenery on the way matters and time-to-destination is of a lower priority. Planning a stopover on the way if needed.

I am keeping my Return journey route flexible and requesting feedback on below route based on above 2 criteria?

South Goa -> Karwar -> Ankola -> Mundgod -> HAveri -> Ranebennur -> Davangere -> Tumkur -> Bangalore

Also if anyone has stayed recently in either Radisson Blu, Royal Orchid, Zuri Whitesands in South Goa please advise how your experience was and which could be a good option for family stay?

Thank You,
Santosh
Old 11th February 2020, 13:43   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Thanks for posting all details. That was helpful. I will be driving down to goa this weekend. Going with option 1 as you suggested. Bad road is not a problem when i will be going in safari. Yes flying is best option but problem is local transport in Goa is bad and very expensive. Its not a leisure trip but more of spiritual ones for me
How was your driving experience on this route? Please update here.
Old 13th February 2020, 13:24   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
How was your driving experience on this route? Please update here.
I left bangalore 9th Feb morning and came back to Bangalore from Goa on 11th late in the night. As per the plan we had scheduled for 2 nights and 1 full day in Goa since it was a temple visit. Coming to the road conditions, its nightmare to say the least. It took my 14 hours approximately each way (including lunch and coffee breaks).

1. Only stretch between Bangalore to Chitradurga is a bliss to drive - Approximately 200 Kms.
2. Post chitradurga all the way up to Hubli, the nightmare starts. Every 1-2 kms there are road diversions pushing you to service road with full of speed-breakers.
3. I was using google maps and post hubli, it directed me to Hubli-Dharwad by-pass and took left post the bypass via anmod to Goa border. In this stretch until Ramnagar it was 2 lane, manageable and decent road conditions. Post Ramnagar all the way until Goa border, road work ongoing. Roads were non-existent, dusty and full of craters

I would recommend avoid doing Bangalore - Goa for now since its very frustrating experience and drive wont be pleasure regardless of what car you own. In my case it was tata safari storme.
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:31   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
3. I was using google maps and post hubli, it directed me to Hubli-Dharwad by-pass and took left post the bypass via anmod to Goa border. In this stretch until Ramnagar it was 2 lane, manageable and decent road conditions. Post Ramnagar all the way until Goa border, road work ongoing. Roads were non-existent, dusty and full of craters

I would recommend avoid doing Bangalore - Goa for now since its very frustrating experience and drive wont be pleasure regardless of what car you own. In my case it was tata safari storme.
I think google routed you on wrong and bad route. I was asking for Hubli-Ankola-Goa road. This is the first left from the toll post outside Hubli (Called Ankola or Karwar road and exits after 1km or so once you hit the 2 lane Hubli bypass road post toll post and you hit Kalghatgi, Yellapur on this route). Google took you all the way for the Dharwad-Mollem route via Anmod. That road is really bad in terms of dust and roads under construction. Although it used to be the shortest route from Bangalore, it is the most painful route currently. Attached was the route I was recommending in current scenario. Longer but best among all for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-blrgoa.jpg  

Last edited by rajivtelang : 13th February 2020 at 13:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks