Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 23:16   #3301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
DieselFan, it's on the NH. No need to get in to the town)
A small correction, I guess this is BP COCO and not IOC.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:19   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Sankam still is a good option to break. Entering and exiting Belgaum adds to your overall times.

Else, you can always break at Wildernest near Chorla (Buffet Lunch available)

You will hit a place called Sanquelim. From here for Miramar, I will suggest via Old Goa which will be faster for Miramar opposed to Mapusa option.
Thanks for your inputs.

I would stick to Sankam since Wildernest to Miramar Beach is around 60 kms, and I don't want to break so short of the destination.

Sankam to Miramar Beach is 120 odd kms, so I think lunch can be had there, followed by a leisurely drive through the Chorla Ghats on the way to the destination.

Again, I will take a final call based on what time are we nearing Belgaum. If it's between 12 noon and 13:00 hrs, we shall break at Sankam. Anything before 11:30, and I shall take either of the 2 routes below and proceed to Wildernest.

Route - 1

Bangalore - Hubli Dharwad Bypass - Take left before exiting the Bypass - Alnavar (SH 34) - Khanapur (SH 93) - SH 31 to Jamboti - Chorla - Panjim

Route - 2

Bangalore - MK Hubli - Khanapur - Jamboti (SH 31 all the way from MK Hubli) - Chorla - Panjim

On a side note, Sankam's food was really good, only that we weren't able to savour it for long as we got on to a wrong road pretty soon after exiting Sankam. I hope I don't repeat that blunder this time round

Last edited by Safety is Param : 4th November 2015 at 12:20.
Old 4th November 2015, 12:53   #3303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I would stick to Sankam since Wildernest to Miramar Beach is around 60 kms, and I don't want to break so short of the destination.
60 kms sounds close by looking at the digits but the Journey would easily consume at least 90-120 minutes more likely because the ghats would still be slower, the progress post Sanquelim till Miramar traversing through Old Goa till NH17 Intersection would not be very fast.

Wildernest is a good break-point else we normally end up having lunch at Goa itself
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 00:50   #3304
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Goa and have been evaluating between the following two routes. Any advise, particularly on the Mangalore/Udupi route?
  1. Bangalore - Davanagere - Haveri - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem
  2. Bangalore - Hassan - Mangalore - Udupi - Honnavar - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem

If I end up taking a hotel in North Goa, is the below route advisable?

Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradunga - Haveli - Hubli Dharwad - Candolim

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2015, 18:49   #3305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradunga - Haveli - Hubli Dharwad - Candolim
For Candolim, its better take Chorla route. There is a post few pages back on how to join Chorla SH bye-passing Belgaum.

Since your destination is Candolim, once you reach Sanquelim instead of taking Mapusa route go via Old Goa - Panajim and left after crossing the bridge.

Once you reach the place marked as Sanquelim masjid and Shri Dattareya Mandir there is a loop in the road. From there take left and and first right. There are signboards mentioning Old Goa over there.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 11:12   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi Motomaverick,

Was this the exact road that you took ?
Route Map

How is the stretch from Bankapur > Mundgod > Yallapur ?
Is there any landmark /sign to identify where to turn Left at Bankapur ?
Apologies for the very late reply, but yes thats the route that I had taken. The stretch between Bankapur & Yellapur is pretty good, slight narrow say 1.5 grandi10 width but its freshly laid. Just after the toll gate at Bankapur you need to take the service lane before the NH climbs onto a flyover.
motomaverick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 18:34   #3307

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Apologies for the very late reply, but yes thats the route that I had taken. The stretch between Bankapur & Yellapur is pretty good, slight narrow say 1.5 grandi10 width but its freshly laid. Just after the toll gate at Bankapur you need to take the service lane before the NH climbs onto a flyover.

Actually, you should turn off IMMEDIATELY after the toll gate, drive through the village for about a Km, and when you reach the first main intersection, proceed straight on between the fields - direction Mundgod.
ArjunVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 17:44   #3308
BHPian

Completed my round trip to Goa and used the following routes:

Bangalore - Goa:
Bangalore - Davanagere - Haveri - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar - Salcette (Majorda - South Goa)

The drive was around 650 kms and took me 11 hours door to door. However, the drive between Yellapura to Bankapura was average with a lot of asphalting happening in the stretch. While not exactly a lunar surface, it did slow us down. Thereafter, the stretch was slower than what I had done till Yellapura on NH4. Overall, I will rate this route as average with no specific benefits but no serious challenges too. It does make the NH4 look monotonous with its green but narrow SH roads.

Goa - Bangalore:
Took the standard GPS recommended route of
Salcette - Ponda - Mollem - Anmod - Alnavar - Mugad - Dharwad/Hubli Bypass - Tumkur - Bangalore

I had warnings of a very bad stretch between Anmod and Alnavar but still gave it a shot as I was keen to do the return in less than 11 hours. This was ~605 kms for me so went for it.
True to the warning, the minute we drove over the exit gate of Bhagwaan Mahaveer national park, it seemed we have landed on moon. I must have lost around 30 mins of cruising drive due to this bad stretch and the relief came in only after I had crossed Alnavar. However, once I hit the bypass, it was all bliss and I just cruised at early triple digits for most of my way till I crossed Tumkur. Overall, came to 10 hours including a 30 mins jam on Yeshwanthpur railway tracks courtesy some Mensa IQed drivers who believe the other lane is free not because of two way traffic but because we are idiots waiting patiently in the queue.

I am still left with two routes I have not explored - the Jamboti-Chorla route as well as the Mangalore-Udipi route.

There is always the next time
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 18:39   #3309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Hi All

There have been conversations around a rough patch on descending towards Ankola enroute NH63.

Just needed to understand if anyone has tried the SH6, which actually is the extention of the Yellapura-Mungod road, i.e. just at the Idgundi 'Y' junction, the road to the left links NH63-NH17, and at the right it continues as SH6, runs adjacent to the Kadra reservoir/Kali river and joins at Karwar city and subsequently NH17.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

Just referring to one of my earlier posts.

Has anyone has tried the SH6, which actually is the extention of the Yellapura-Mungod road, i.e. just at the Idgundi 'Y' junction, the road to the left links NH63-NH17, and at the right it continues as SH6, runs adjacent to the Kadra reservoir/Kali river and joins at Karwar city and subsequently NH17.

I am travelling next Thursday to South Goa, and will be taking the recommended route, i.e. BLR-Bankapura-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa. The above route has just raised some curiosity, hence I was eager to know if someone has travelled. Also the fact of the descending road not being good at NH63 is another add on to the question raised.

Any recommended fuel pumps/bunks whilst returning from Goa. I have a diesel vehicle and would be fuelling in from Shell Bellandur whilst leaving early morning.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Rish
Old 17th November 2015, 20:48   #3310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Has anyone has tried the SH6, which actually is the extention of the Yellapura-Mungod road, i.e. just at the Idgundi 'Y' junction, the road to the left links NH63-NH17, and at the right it continues as SH6, runs adjacent to the Kadra reservoir/Kali river and joins at Karwar city and subsequently NH17.
Not worth it.

Firstly it goes via the power plant at Kaiga and then enters Kadra town. You then need to cross the submergible bridge next to the Kadra dam, and go past Kadra township, to get to Dandeli-Karwar SH. In the end it actually becomes a tiring option. Views may be good, but the fact you get nothing on road for a break, is a downer. The winding unpredictable 2-lane road on top will add to fatigue as well.

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2015 at 20:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:00   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Riding to Baga this week from Bangalore and taking NH4 till MK Hubli, Khanapur, Jamboti, Chorla, Sanquelim, Mapusa route. Will update on return.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:57   #3312
BHPian

Planning to do Chennai to Goa with wife and my 1 year old daughter. Please find the plan below.Please advise if any changes are required.

Day 1 - Chennai to Davangere (Overnight stay in Davangere)
Day 2 - Davangere - Dharwad - Alnavar - Panjim

We want to visit Jog falls on return so we are still trying to finalize the best plan for return. We are planning to break the return journey as well

Would it be best to do Panjim - Ankola - Honnavar - Jog falls (stop and visit)- Shimoga (Lunch?) - Tumkur and join the NH? In this case which is the best place to stay overnight?

The other option we are pondering is Panjim - Honnavar - Jog Falls (stop and visit) - Sagar (Lunch?)- Harihar - Davangere (Overnight stay) - Bangalore - Chennai.

All starts will be early morning around 4.30 AM. Its my first drive to Goa. Request the experts to provide valuable inputs.

Thanks
Anand
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:33   #3313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Day 1 - Chennai to Davangere (Overnight stay in Davangere)
You can stay at Apoorva Resorts on Davanagere bypass (Before Davanagere).

Quote:
Day 2 - Davangere - Dharwad - Alnavar - Panjim
  • Davangere - Dharwad - Alnavar - Khanapura - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim -Panjim
  • Davangere - Dharwad - MK Hubli - Khanapura - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim -Panjim
  • Davangere - Dharwad - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim -Panjim

The last option will take you through Belgaum while the first 2 helps bypassing Belgaum altogether. In terms of time saver, the second one will be the fastest.

Quote:
Would it be best to do Panjim - Ankola - Honnavar - Jog falls (stop and visit)- Shimoga (Lunch?) - Tumkur and join the NH? In this case which is the best place to stay overnight?
Panjim - Ankola - Yellapura - Sirsi -Siddapura - Jog Falls.

Now that you have Jog Falls as part of your itinerary, you need to budget some extra time and hence you can stop at Shimoga. Royal Orchid is a good choice followed by a few budget options like Jewel Rock too.

From Shimgoa you can do - Bhadravathi - Arasikere - Channarayapatna - Nelemangala - NICE - Hosur - Chennai.

You need not take enter Tumkur with the above route and this is a Standard route for Shimoga-Bangalore off late, faster as well.
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:02   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Panjim - Ankola - Yellapura - Sirsi -Siddapura - Jog Falls.

Now that you have Jog Falls as part of your itinerary, you need to budget some extra time and hence you can stop at Shimoga.
Thank you Sir. Not only for the reply,your comments in this thread has been extremely helpful for me.

Could you also please advise how long it will take practically to reach Shimoga in this route considering 1 hour spent at Jog falls? Also I dont want to end up too early in Jog falls. Would a 4.30 AM start from Panjim be okay?

Thanks
Anand
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:08   #3315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Thank you Sir. Not only for the reply,your comments in this thread has been extremely helpful for me.

Could you also please advise how long it will take practically to reach Shimoga in this route considering 1 hour spent at Jog falls? Also I dont want to end up too early in Jog falls. Would a 4.30 AM start from Panjim be okay?

Thanks
Anand
0430 AM at Panjim is absolutely OK. You will need at least 3 to 4 hours for sure to be at Jog Falls.

Another advise - Not sure if you would really like to drive via Jog Falls as it is not promising at this time of the year.

You can read bhpian achyu's Tlog posted only 2 weeks before and get a hint.(am posting from phone)

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd November 2015 at 12:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks