Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2015, 08:45   #3151
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes I meant the same. Approach NH17 via NH63 only because NH4A is bad as per latest reports between Ramnagar and the Goa Border.

Chorla would only be time consuming for the fact that you will approach it from North and drive down south for your destination. Else it wont add much time overall except an hour.
+1 to what Parag is saying about the NH4A. I took this route just last month on a weekend sprint to Goa. The stretch between Goa border and Ramnagar (NH4A) is full of potholes, it is still doable and scenic. The roads in Goa are simply amazing with the occasional twisties and your car will love it.

We had to reach Ashvem beach (La Cabana), and we started from Bangalore at about 10:30. At the Tumkur road toll after Nice road junction, we got stuck due to an accident for about an hour and a half. So, essentially left Bangalore only at about 12 - 12:30. We were at Ashvem at about 9 in the morning. The roads are good (except the warzone - saw an Audi A6 struggle to make it over the potholes cum craters) - we drove a Honda City non-vtec 1.3 and the car managed almost all pot holes and ditches without scrapping; you won't find a place to stop for food or loo, till you descend the ghats in Goa. Tank up (the car) and tank down (yourself ) somewhere before taking the exit after Hubli.
Old 9th September 2015, 13:43   #3152
BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore-Goa sometime after Ganesh Puja. Destination is Candolim Beach so planning for North Goa Via Belgaum, Chorla Ghats. Want to follow the route which has the best road conditions even if time consumed is more. Any suggestions on alternative option via NH4A? Would be driving on Ford Figo.
Old 9th September 2015, 15:14   #3153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpatnaik View Post
Planning to do Bangalore-Goa sometime after Ganesh Puja. Destination is Candolim Beach so planning for North Goa Via Belgaum, Chorla Ghats. Want to follow the route which has the best road conditions even if time consumed is more. Any suggestions on alternative option via NH4A? Would be driving on Ford Figo.
Avoid NH4A for the latest reports of it being deteriorated.

For Candolim, Chorla works best. You have 2 options to reach Chorla based on your choice - Via Khanapur-Jamboti or Via Belgaum City.
  1. Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti-Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa - Candolim
  2. Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti-Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa- Panaji -Candolim
  3. Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Mapusa - Candolim
  4. Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa - Panaji -Candolim
In all these routes, you will reach Sanquelim after Chorla Ghats (The first town once you enter Goa). From here you have 2 options to reach Candolim. One will be via Mapusa and the other one will be via Panaji. Either of these routes may not really make huge difference but I would pick the Mapusa option to reach here a bit faster.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th September 2015 at 15:15.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:05   #3154
BHPian

Driving down to my hometown (Goa) next weekend for Ganesh Chaturthi. Could anybody update on the below road conditions?

Option 1-> Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Margao (~220 Kms)
Option 2-> Hubli-Dharwad-Ram Nagar-Anmod-Mollem-Ponda-Margao (~160Kms)
Old 9th September 2015, 16:13   #3155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Remains good.
Quote:
Please read the last few posts. This is nothing but NH4A and I would advise against it for the road conditions prevailing as of now post rains over the last 2 months.
Old 9th September 2015, 16:36   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In all these routes, you will reach Sanquelim after Chorla Ghats (The first town once you enter Goa). From here you have 2 options to reach Candolim. One will be via Mapusa and the other one will be via Panaji. Either of these routes may not really make huge difference but I would pick the Mapusa option to reach here a bit faster.
I would advise against going via Mapusa. The narrow roads and traffic at peak hours (which is almost every now and then) will make it tiring after 7-8 hours of drive. If you take Sesa Factory - Amona Bridge - Old Goa/ Bypass route, you can reach faster. Roads are wide and scenic too.

After reaching Sanquelim - you cross the Datta Mandir and take a left to join the Sanquelim Mapusa road (T Join). On that road left is Mapusa and Right is Amona Bridge.

Last edited by abirnale : 9th September 2015 at 16:37.
Old 9th September 2015, 16:43   #3157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I would advise against going via Mapusa. The narrow roads and traffic at peak hours (which is almost every now and then) will make it tiring after 7-8 hours of drive. If you take Sesa Factory - Amona Bridge - Old Goa/ Bypass route, you can reach faster. Roads are wide and scenic too.

After reaching Sanquelim - you cross the Datta Mandir and take a left to join the Sanquelim Mapusa road (T Join). On that road left is Mapusa and Right is Amona Bridge.
I have tried both and its always been a gamble but none of them really were time consuming anyway.

At one place even though Mapusa approach would be slower, at least you approach NH17 north of Panaji and then enter the road for Candolim while with the Old Goa Road which is super fast, you will spend time at Panaji and crossing the Mandovi Bridge crawl at peak times and then the road for Candolim.

Anyway, both these roads in reality will not at all be time consuming by a huge margin that one needs to think seriously.

In fact, all my previous drives were via Old Goa only and I loved it every time (Calangute & Candolim) and only once I tried the Mapusa option which was on a evening between 8 and 9pm and obviously the traffic was sparse beyond Sanquelim after we stopped for snacks here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:48   #3158
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree Parag. My point was with 7-8 hrs of drive already when you reach closer to the destination, this may be irritating. But as you said, not a huge difference
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 18:58   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Driving down to my hometown (Goa) next weekend for Ganesh Chaturthi. Could anybody update on the below road conditions?

Goa-Karwar-Hubli-Bangalore route update
Drove down this route last week. Except the 30-35km ghat section around yellapura, roads are great. Took about 7.45hrs from Karwar to Banerghatta with one fuel break.

When are you driving btw? I might travel early morning of 16th.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:33   #3160
BHPian

Completed the road trip to Goa. Please find the route details below.
Onward:
Took Dhardwad bypass-Alnavar Jn-Khanapur-Jamboti-Chorla-Povorim route. The roads were excellent to very good throughout except for the Khanapur-Jamboti Junction. The Khanapur-Jamboti Junction road is a single lane road in decent condition and good for an average speed of 40 kmph.

On 5th Sep, we started at 5.45am from HRBR Layout and reached Kamat, Sira at 7.45am for breakfast. Started from there at 8.20 and reached Kamat, tadas (about 15 kms before hubli bypass) at 11.45. Had an early lunch and left at 12.30 and reached Porvorim at 5.20 pm with 20 min breaks.

Return:
We decided to take the Karwar route for a change. But it turned out to be not so good decision. We road was good till we reach the ghat section before Yellapur. The ghat section was bad to very bad at many places and lots of potholes even after that. One needs to be on a constant vigil to avoid the potholes.

On 8 Sep, we started at 10.15 am from Candolim and reached konkan spice (after ankola juntion) at 1.45 pm. This place was neat and clean, but the food was average. After lunch, we started around 2.30 and reached HRBR Layout at 11.15 pm with one short break at Ranebennur Kamat.

So for now Chorla route is the best option, if one wants a relaxed, stress free and enjoyable drive to North Goa.
Old 10th September 2015, 14:47   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Remains good.
Please read the last few posts. This is nothing but NH4A and I would advise against it for the road conditions prevailing as of now post rains over the last 2 months.
Thanks paragsachania, I'm familiar and have extensively traveled both these routes. However, my last travel to Goa was during May'15 where I took NH4A and that road was great except few patch work near border in KA side, but did it in 3 hrs flat. Hubli-Karwar-Margao option is 'tried & tested' and takes about 4 hrs, a bit longer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
When are you driving btw? I might travel early morning of 16th.
Thanks for the update Akshay!

I'm planning to start on 16th as well at 3:00AM from HAL. I prefer this time as, I can get out of the city with minimum/no traffic. Toll booths are usually free and can reach home (Margao) for lunch

Last trip was in May'15 where I reached Margao for breakfast (11:30AM) via NH4A

What are your plans?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2015 at 15:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 10th September 2015, 15:39   #3162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks paragsachania, I'm familiar and have extensively traveled both these routes. However, my last travel to Goa was during May'15 where I took NH4A and that road was great except few patch work near border in KA side, but did it in 3 hrs flat. Hubli-Karwar-Margao option is 'tried & tested' and takes about 4 hrs, a bit longer though.
If you scroll through a few pages in and around Feb-March, you will get to read similar updates from me on the conditions of NH4A.

My last drive via NH4A was in March and the roads were holding up well and later a few folks also drove during the subsequent months till the last few weeks where BHPians have responded with roads turning bad now.

Else, I myself have always suggested NH4A against Chorla or Karwar if the destination is Margaon/South Goa.
Old 10th September 2015, 16:26   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Else, I myself have always suggested NH4A against Chorla or Karwar if the destination is Margaon/South Goa.
I think it will be wise for me to stick to Karwar option unless otherwise reported by any BHP'ian
sary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 17:19   #3164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be wise for me to stick to Karwar option unless otherwise reported by any BHP'ian
For Madgaon, you can always stick to the Hubli - Yallapura - Karwar route.
Old 11th September 2015, 10:42   #3165
Distinguished - BHPian

Protest Alert - Chorla

Quoting what my friend Vivek (also a BHPian ) says:
Quote:
ALERT : Kalasa--Banduri project issue in Karnataka is intensifying day by day. AVOID Belgaum-Jamboti-Chorla ghat-Goa highway today as it is going to be blocked by farmers in the view of Kalasa project issue. For people coming from Bangalore, no use of taking Khanapur--Jamboti route as well because the blockade is at Jamboti itself, instead stick to Hubli-Karwar or Dharwad-NH4A Ramnagar-Anmod-Goa (30 kms is bad here ). Mumbai/Pune folks are advised to take Nipani--Amboli ghat route while those coming from Hyderabad take Belgaum--NH 4A- Goa highway. Yesterday Belgaum-Bagalkot highway was stopped for nearly six hours, so we really don't know how long will the protest be carried on at Jamboti since the said project is located bang on Chorla road at Kanakumbi
This issue is only getting intense day after day. So I would advise folks driving to Goa via Chorla to be careful and take a decision based on latest updates from that area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks