Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 07:40   #3016
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Update on Khanapur Jamboti -

This 15 kms stretch that was in bad shape is now Fully done. So those wanting to head North Goa from Bangalore side, please take note.

You need not drive to Belgaum now. Take Alnavar (Goa road/Panaji exit) option from Hubli Bypass.

Drive past Alnavar and turn right for Khanapur. Drive from Khanapur to Jamboti which is 15 kms and from Jamboti continue towards Chorla.

Negatives about this road is just one - You can't break at Belgaum now and your last resort is either CCD at Shiggaon (360 kms) or Kamat before Hubli (380 kms).
Thanks a ton Parag for this route update. As you said, this route is excellent, single lane neat road to connect to Chorla road. We started Bangalore at 4am, bkf at Kamat Ranebennur at 7:30am, no eateries near Chorla hence directly had lunch in Goa by 2:30pm.

A definite recommended route.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 09:40   #3017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Thanks a ton Parag for this route update. As you said, this route is excellent, single lane neat road to connect to Chorla road. We started Bangalore at 4am, bkf at Kamat Ranebennur at 7:30am, no eateries near Chorla hence directly had lunch in Goa by 2:30pm.
The problem more than food break, is the need for better rest rooms. Because 4-5 hours without such break can be a bit tricky when with family. A fantastic option none the less.
Old 12th April 2015, 11:33   #3018
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, we have been discussing this pages over pages. You always cannot have a cake and eat that too.

If Chorla was good, crossing Belgaum was a pain.

If Mollem was better, that 35 kms stretch after Ramnagar was something that made folks worry (not really now after the patchwork).

One can very well and easily plan to stop at Kamat or CCD before getting off NH4 and drive another 3 hours to Goa without stopping anyways.

For Mollem option you have the Fantastic Dudhsagar Resort that comes right at the Border.

For Chorla, you do have a considerably good Hotel at the start of the Ghats for a quick stop. After this Sanquelim town offers few regular hotels.

What if you start at 4am from Bangalore? The first break comes only after 300 kms (4 hours) anyway. I have seen no Hotels open before 7am. Not even some of the better named resorts.

Similarly, have that last break before exiting NH4 and you are good all the way.

Do not forget that when driving in India Fuel stations are the last (best) alternate for rest room for ladies. When I drove Aurangabad Daund Baramati Satara for Bangalore, I still recall how we banked upon a Fuel station who's owner handed us the keys when my Mum had to take a break.

Goa is a very simple drive that we think is complicated but its not.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th April 2015 at 11:38.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 12:00   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One can very well and easily plan to stop at Kamat or CCD before getting off NH4 and drive another 3 hours to Goa without stopping anyways.
Yes, I agree - a break in 3 hours should suit most.

Quote:
Do not forget that when driving in India Fuel stations are the last (best) alternate for rest room for ladies. When I drove Aurangabad Daund Baramati Satara for Bangalore, I still recall how we banked upon a Fuel station who's owner handed us the keys when my Mum had to take a break.
Toilets on highways - or the lack of - are something which the women of India have learnt to live with. Despite poor maintenance in many of the petrol pump toilets, they remain the best option. I remember that it was Reliance petrol pumps who first decided to build good toilets, and perhaps that has rubbed off on the large PSU majors too.

Last edited by hvkumar : 12th April 2015 at 12:01.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 16:27   #3020
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I stopped by for over an hour at the Kamat, which was more than enough for the two women and the year old kid to be prepared for the next 3 hours of drive to Goa.

Lack of CCD or a good hotel shouldn't be an issue at all.

Drive to Goa has become so simple off late. With team bhp threads and Parag's posts, it cannot get more simpler than this. Hence I didn't post a route query here. Just read few posts, and started off to Goa.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 18:35   #3021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are talking at least 4-5 hours after this. And the Kamat where you have breakfast is the first break, which would be about 8AM/9AM. And then we are saying drive till 2-3 PM.

Quote:
For Mollem option you have the Fantastic Dudhsagar Resort that comes right at the Border.

For Chorla, you do have a considerably good Hotel at the start of the Ghats for a quick stop. After this Sanquelim town offers few regular hotels.
Good to note this. Hope there is some thing good available, especially since one would be driving in the ghats/twisties.

Quote:
What if you start at 4am from Bangalore? The first break comes only after 300 kms (4 hours) anyway. I have seen no Hotels open before 7am. Not even some of the better named resorts.
This works because, its synchronizes with one's biological clock for the early morning drive.

Quote:
Similarly, have that last break before exiting NH4 and you are good all the way.

Quote:
This is what most of us have been to resorting to.

Quote:
Goa is a very simple drive that we think is complicated but its not.
Yes it is easy. The only reason it seems complicated is because one needs to hold the timing, if one is not adept at driving at all times of the day. And thats where taking up breaks make up for the timekeeping (because they are available only at selected points).

A case in point: Such long distance questions never arises when driving to TN/KL simply because at many a point we see break options popping up.
Old 12th April 2015, 19:48   #3022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
We are talking at least 4-5 hours after this. And the Kamat where you have breakfast is the first break, which would be about 8AM/9AM. And then we are saying drive till 2-3 PM.
The Kamat that I am referring is NOT the Ranebennur one. It is the second one that comes before Hubli near VARUR (just before VRL HQ). From here the Bypass is mere 12-15 minutes, exit to Alnavar another 20 minutes.

This Kamat is of course on the other side (right) when driving up but a very easy option to make a U-Turn 200 meters ahead and its been one of those stop overs.

That CCD that I have been referring comes 20 mins before this Kamat.

Quote:
This works because, its synchronizes with one's biological clock for the early morning drive.
True and even if someone ends up leaving a little late from Bangalore (say 7am), he can stop at the same Kamat for Lunch instead of breakfast. Ideally, its only 3 to 3.5 Hours after the last Kamat to Goa.

And when we say there are lesser options for stopping on the Western ghats it only "In the ghats" as you get options soon after descending on all the routes.

Quote:
Yes it is easy. The only reason it seems complicated is because one needs to hold the timing, if one is not adept at driving at all times of the day. And thats where taking up breaks make up for the timekeeping (because they are available only at selected points).
It is not complicated even if one is unable to hold on to the timings or do it with a break journey midway if he prefers depending on the time of start. It is only the last leg which is a matter of 150+ kms. Of course, it wont make sense to advise one to drive Chorla or Ramnagar post 7PM due to lack of stopping options but anytime before dusk one can always do.

Quote:
A case in point: Such long distance questions never arises when driving to TN/KL simply because at many a point we see break options popping up.
Blame that on the fact that all roads to TN or KL are NHs or beautiful SHs with good enough freight and private traffic day long or through the night. The case with Goa is different and hence most of the roads leading to Goa (NH17, NH63, NH4A, Chorla etc) are never crowded anytime of the year. One cannot simply compare this to TN or KL.

In fact, I wont even compare options in Charmadi to Shiradi for the same reasons .

Summary is this:

When Chorla was bad, it was Karwar (who wont like maximum 4 lane roads)
When Chorla got better, it was Chorla
When Chorla became painful due to Belgaum we got NH4A ready
When Chorla suddenly became "Narrow and Dangerous" only because people from KA and MH started driving on this, it was confusion
When NH4A got ready and most of us traveled, Khanapur-Jamboti- An important 15 kms stretch making access to Chorla very easy without entering Belgaum too became ready.

So, you have more than one good option to reach Goa from south, good enough to confuse many, but good enough to help you decide yourself only after driving in each of these roads. Glad that I drove all 3 in the last 18 months.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th April 2015 at 19:52.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 20:15   #3023
Team-BHP Support

Thats exactly even what I am saying. That we need the timings on the Goa route to hold, just to make sure, we reach the next possible break-point from our requirements standpoint, in spite of the route we choose. But otherwise its quite simple.

PS: You are the best judge as you have driven through all the options!

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2015 at 20:17.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:15   #3024
BHPian

Goa bound this weekend.
Plan to take the Ankola - Karwar route after Hubli, any pointers on the latest road conditions?
Old 16th April 2015, 11:32   #3025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Goa bound this weekend.
Plan to take the Ankola - Karwar route after Hubli, any pointers on the latest road conditions?
The roads remain good on this circuit. Take the usual NH4 till Turn off on Hubli bypass.

Someone recently referred the Bankapura-Mungod option to be better with latest asphalting too (may be a few pages back).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:56   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Goa bound this weekend.
Quote:
The roads remain good on this circuit. Take the usual NH4 till Turn off on Hubli bypass.

Someone recently referred the Bankapura-Mungod option to be better with latest asphalting too (may be a few pages back).
NH4-Hubli-Karwar is in very good condition. Pay attention to the road markers for exit. You can also try Bankapur deviation as a buddy traveled via that road recently and reported good condition.

I drove to Goa last week and Hubli-Yellapur took lot of time thanks to getting struck behind heavy lorry traffic
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 13:41   #3027

Good day Distinguished BHPians,

I am in need of an urgent help from you gents and ladies. I have driven to Goa, via various routes, atleast around 10 times. My last visit was new years eve of 2014-15, just 4 months back.

I have a great urge to drive to Goa again now, but the problem is I do not have a valid reason to go there. Yes, I just feel like going there without any reason. But my family needs one...can you please help me here. Kindly tell me one good point why we as a family of 2 adults and a 14 year old kid should visit goa this weekend. Thanks and I hope you will make my weekend great. have a great day all.

Cheers
Old 16th April 2015, 14:41   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryN View Post
Good day Distinguished BHPians,

I am in need of an urgent help from you gents and ladies. I have driven to Goa, via various routes, atleast around 10 times. My last visit was new years eve of 2014-15, just 4 months back.

I have a great urge to drive to Goa again now, but the problem is I do not have a valid reason to go there. Yes, I just feel like going there without any reason. But my family needs one...can you please help me here. Kindly tell me one good point why we as a family of 2 adults and a 14 year old kid should visit goa this weekend. Thanks and I hope you will make my weekend great. have a great day all.

Cheers
The 5 star hotels are dirt cheap right now. I am staying at The Lalit, got a deal of 5.5K per night! Good enough reason?
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 14:50   #3029

Quote:
The 5 star hotels are dirt cheap right now. I am staying at The Lalit, got a deal of 5.5K per night! Good enough reason?
Yep. Good one. Maybe not Lalit but something decent for our budget.
Thanks.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:23   #3030
Distinguished - BHPian

When I last drove between March 4th to 8th, I stayed at Club Mahindra Properties for the first 3 days and at Joecons Resort on the last 2 days.

I loved Joecons for the location, cleanliness, overall experience and the best was the food.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...aulim_Goa.html

I paid 5500 per night then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks