Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 15:58   #3331
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Travelling to Goa this weekend to Canacona (Pololem), have a quick question, there are two routes i am looking at,
Route 1: Bangalore - Tumkur, Chitradurga, Hubli, Yellapura, Karwar, Canacona.
Route 2: Bangalore - Tumkur- Chitradurga, Ranebennur, Haveri, Yellapura, Karvar, Canacona.

Just checking which route is better, In terms of Safety and distance and Food options.

Any other routes i need to be looking at?
Old 8th December 2015, 16:12   #3332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Route 1: Bangalore - Tumkur, Chitradurga, Hubli, Yellapura, Karwar, Canacona.
This will be bit longer although the whole route is a national highway all the way to destination. The bad patch starts from Hubli till Ankola via Kalhatgi-Yellapura. This section has gone bad.

Advantage on this route:
You get another CCD (Shiggaon) and a Kamat (16 kms before Hubli).

Quote:
Route 2: Bangalore - Tumkur- Chitradurga, Ranebennur, Haveri, Yellapura, Karvar, Canacona.
This will be shorter and you will touch Yellapura faster via Mungod. But your choices for Food and Fuel are way too less on this route with the first good one being IOCL/Kamat/CCD at Ankola (This will be common for both routes).

In terms of road conditions, this route will have narrow roads starting from Mungod till Yellapura but the progress will be steady and traffic will be very less too. Road conditions are more favorable here.

The advantage of this route is that you will not have to drive Hubli Bypass to Yellapura and touch Yellapura directly.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 20:55   #3333

Undertaking a relaxed long cherished drive from Bangalore to Goa later this month via Mangalore, Udupi, Murudeshwar, Karwar enroute to Baga in north Goa. Planning to stay overnight at Mangalore, Murudeshwar and Karwar to cover all the beaches around the coast. Return will be directly from Baga to Bangalore.

Looking for inputs in terms of route, food joints and places to visit.
Old 11th December 2015, 01:30   #3334
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I found three options for Bangalore to Goa road trip.
Request regular travelers in this route to comment on the BEST route to follow?
Have attached the google directions map.

Regds
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-blrgoa.jpg  

Old 11th December 2015, 09:41   #3335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
I found three options for Bangalore to Goa road trip.
Request regular travelers in this route to comment on the BEST route to follow?
Where in Goa are you headed to? In any case, apart from the route via NH 4 other options doesn't make sense.

Apart from this route, most frequented routes to Goa are via Karwar and Chorla. Please go through the posts in this page of later ones for updates.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 11th December 2015 at 09:44.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:59   #3336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishayee View Post
For seafood, try Swetha Lunch Home in Karwar, Narayana and Giri Manjas in Mangalore. For ice-cream and Gudbud, Pabbas in Mangalore

And while you're in Goa, try the local desserts Bebinca and Dodol

Last edited by Klub Class : 11th December 2015 at 11:03.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:21   #3337
BHPian

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishayee View Post
Undertaking a relaxed long cherished drive from Bangalore to Goa later this month via Mangalore, Udupi, Murudeshwar, Karwar enroute to Baga in north Goa. Planning to stay overnight at Mangalore, Murudeshwar and Karwar to cover all the beaches around the coast. Return will be directly from Baga to Bangalore.

So here we go, South to North on NH17.

Mangaluru to Udupi (excellent 4 lane, diversions at 4 places)

Udupi to Byndoor (mix of good and rough patchy roads, heavy 4 lane work going on)

Byndoor onwards (Uttara Kannada district) - good roads throughout (heavy 4 laning work in progress)

Crazy traffic throughout, watchout for mad bolero pickup drivers and NWKRTC buses.

Karwar onwards the road is good/slightly patchy all the way till Goa border.

Things to see/do/eat:-

- do visit TannirBhavi beach (Mangalore)
- visit Gajalee for sea food and of course Pabbas
- Kaup Beach and Lighthouse on the way to Udupi from Mangaluru
- St Mary's Island in Udupi
- Malpe Beach Udupi
- Sri Krishna Temple in Udupi
- Shetty Lunch Home in Kundapur just before private bus stand in the town centre(donot miss their chicken ghee roast and Fish Rava Fry)
- Marvanthe Beach
- Byndoor Estuary (watch the river join the sea during sunset)
- there's one place in Bhatkal (I'm not able to recollect the name of the hotel) which serves some fantastic bhatkali biriyani. You must try it. It's like a delicious mix of andhra and the biriyani made by our Muslim friends.
- Murudeshwar. Incase you are staying here, donot miss the sea food at Naveen Beach Resort
- Idgunji Temple just before Honnavar
- Apsarkonda Falls in Honnavar (there might not be any water now, but try to take that plunge, we did)
- there is a small miltry hotel next to Pandurang International in Kumta. Have their fish meals (bangde/kaane/kingfish) - do note this is not a family place. Yummy & cheap meals here
- Gokarna (kudle beach shacks, a stroll on paradise beach and donot ever miss Namaste Cafe at OM beach.
- Honey Beach in Ankola (this is very interior from the main town and at one point, the roads are non existent to a point where a sedan might find it difficult to go-nevertheless we took my Verna there). A very secluded beach with a single shack. Great if you want to play in the water
- Shwetha Lunch Home/Amruth in Karwar (try the prawns and fish fry here)
- devbagh beach resort, ask for their scuba dive/snorkelling. It's not Bali/Maldives good, but it's a great experience.
- Goa - I don't need to mention anything I guess

I have done the same trip done 6 times with November 15 being the last one. So the road conditions are upto date.

Hope I could help.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by drhoneycake : 11th December 2015 at 14:26.
drhoneycake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 00:35   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Where in Goa are you headed to? In any case, apart from the route via NH 4 other options doesn't make sense.

Apart from this route, most frequented routes to Goa are via Karwar and Chorla. Please go through the posts in this page of later ones for updates.
Thanks a lot mpksuhas
I would be driving from Hennur, B'lore to Candolin, North Goa.
Old 14th December 2015, 23:35   #3339
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot mpksuhas
I would be driving from Hennur, B'lore to Candolin, North Goa.

Fellow BHPians,

After reading through the travelogues there are various many versions being quoted for reaching Candolim, Goa from Bengaluru, starting from 8 hours to as long as 14 odd hours.

Am asking this as my 4 year old kid would be also with me and wifey, and if the trip is going to go beyond 10 hrs, I may opt for a break journey.
  1. So what should be ideal time taken to reach North Goa from Bengaluru(if leave B'lore by 5am latest)?
  2. If need to take a break, which should be ideal place to stop for a night(and useful for sight seeing etc)?

Regds,
Foxtrot
Old 15th December 2015, 09:55   #3340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After reading through the travelogues there are various many versions being quoted for reaching Candolim, Goa from Bengaluru, starting from 8 hours to as long as 14 odd hours.
I guess 8 hours will be a non stop, high speed drive during off peak hours. During both my trips to Candolim it took around 12 hours including breaks.

During last years trip, with a start of around 04:30 AM from JP Nagar and hitting Tumkur road via NICE road I reached Kamat near Rannebannur around 08.30 AM, after a break of around half hour started to stop at IOC bunk soon after Dharward bye-pass for a bio break and diesel top up.

Next stop was at Belgaum hotel Sankam for lunch, since it was early for lunch we had to wait for around 1hour 20 mins before starting to Candolim via Chorla ghats. Reached Candolim at around 03:30 PM.

Apart from the long lunch break, we were stuck at Belgaum due to KA Rajyotsava processions. Due to which we had to take few long detours to bye-pass the city wasting around 30 mins easily. From recent posts in this thread, I have noticed there is a route to bye-pass Belgaum completely. You can try that if you do not want a stop at Belgaum.

Secondly, after reaching Sanquelim I took the right turn and headed to Mapusa and then NH 17, this is a longer and time consuming affair. Also, once you reached NH 17 all the way till Candolim you have to drive through heavy traffic.

For return journey I took Candolim - NH 17 bridge over Mandovi river near Panajim - Old Goa road past Basilica of Bom Jesus- Corlim - Few KMs ahead take left and go via towns marked as Orgao - Amona and join Sanquelim.
It may look confusing and a smaller road in Google maps, however road condition was good and traffic less compared to other option.
Old 15th December 2015, 16:48   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess 8 hours will be a non stop, high speed drive during off peak hours. During both my trips to Candolim it took around 12 hours including breaks.

During last years trip, with a start of around 04:30 AM from JP Nagar and hitting Tumkur road via NICE road I reached Kamat near Rannebannur around 08.30 AM, after a break of around half hour started to stop at IOC bunk soon after Dharward bye-pass for a bio break and diesel top up.

Next stop was at Belgaum hotel Sankam for lunch, since it was early for lunch we had to wait for around 1hour 20 mins before starting to Candolim via Chorla ghats. Reached Candolim at around 03:30 PM.

Apart from the long lunch break, we were stuck at Belgaum due to KA Rajyotsava processions. Due to which we had to take few long detours to bye-pass the city wasting around 30 mins easily. From recent posts in this thread, I have noticed there is a route to bye-pass Belgaum completely. You can try that if you do not want a stop at Belgaum.

Secondly, after reaching Sanquelim I took the right turn and headed to Mapusa and then NH 17, this is a longer and time consuming affair. Also, once you reached NH 17 all the way till Candolim you have to drive through heavy traffic.

For return journey I took Candolim - NH 17 bridge over Mandovi river near Panajim - Old Goa road past Basilica of Bom Jesus- Corlim - Few KMs ahead take left and go via towns marked as Orgao - Amona and join Sanquelim.
It may look confusing and a smaller road in Google maps, however road condition was good and traffic less compared to other option.

Thanks a lotmpksuhas
Old 16th December 2015, 15:18   #3342

Hi BHPphiles,
Planning to visit Goa with family for the Christmas holidays. Will be staying in Margoa in central Goa.
Bangalore to Hubli - no sweat. But, I am getting confused at Hubli bypass.
Q1: Can you great guys help me to get to Margoa? Your comments on the road conditions will be highly appreciated.
Q2: Should I take Highway 7 South (after I cross Mollem) and go down to Margoa or, should I go all the way to Ponda and then take Highway 5 South?
Q3: First time visitor to Goa. Any advise on things to do and places to visit while staying at Margoa will be appreciated. (will be there for four days).
Q4: Any particular advise for the Christmas day. I will be there?
Q5: Also, your opinion about the Margoa-Cancona-Karwar-Honnavar-Shimoga-Bangalore route and road condition? I am considering to do this on the return?
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2015, 16:44   #3343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurelyTrvlr View Post
Hi BHPphiles,
Planning to visit Goa with family for the Christmas holidays. Will be staying in Margoa in central Goa.
First thing: Panjim is Central Goa Margao is not. Panjimite here. Saxtiikars are going to kill me.

Quote:
Q1: Can you great guys help me to get to Margoa? Your comments on the road conditions will be highly appreciated.
After Hubli take the Karwar route, clearly marked and as it appears on Google Maps.

Quote:
Q2: Should I take Highway 7 South (after I cross Mollem) and go down to Margoa or, should I go all the way to Ponda and then take Highway 5 South?
Take the above Karwar route. If you take the Mollem route, go to Ponda and then get to Margao via Borim bridge. Much better and wider road.

Quote:
Q3: First time visitor to Goa. Any advise on things to do and places to visit while staying at Margoa will be appreciated. (will be there for four days).
First time to Goa, then absolutely avoid - wrong side driving, unnecessary honking, flashing headlights, driving on high beams, littering. Be courteous and follow basic rules in a civil society. We Goans are very serious about this.

4 days is long enough to visit most places in South Goa - Margao. Margao itself does not have any major tourist attractions - one being the Holy Spirit Church of Kabhie Haan Kabhie Naa fame.

Loads of awesome beaches - Betul, Benaulim, Palolem, Colva, etc. Pick one and spend the whole day there. Palolem is the most safest to enter the water. But use your discretion.

There is a Naval Museum in Vasco. Worth a visit if you like naval stuff.

South Goa has an awesome load of food joints. Too many to list - use tripadvisor to pick.

Quote:
Q4: Any particular advise for the Christmas day. I will be there?
Do this, dress up in your best formals and head out to a church for midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Does not matter what religion you are, just go for the mass at Holy Spirit Church. There will be mass; dance and music will follow. Make merry and enjoy yourself. Trust me you wont get it anywhere in India. It happens in other parts but is restricted to the parish. No such thing in my state. I am not a Christian but never miss Midnight Mass.

Again your discretion, but this is the most Chrismassy thing you can do on Christmas day.

Then there will be loads of parties the Christmas day evening. Look up local newspapers and take your choice. The ones in 5 star hotels to the one under the pandal on the street - all will be happening. Trust me.

Quote:
Q5: Also, your opinion about the Margoa-Cancona-Karwar-Honnavar-Shimoga-Bangalore route and road condition? I am considering to do this on the return?
Thanks in advance.
Scroll up for answers on the earlier posts. Its good.

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th December 2015 at 16:52.
Old 16th December 2015, 20:34   #3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
First thing: Panjim is Central Goa Margao is not. Panjimite here. Saxtiikars are going to kill me.
Panjimite Goan Spitfire, at the outset thanks for your answers. Very much appreciate your advise about partaking in the Christmas festivities. I am a social traveler and love to learn the local culture. In this sense, it was really nice of you to educate me, within the limits of this forum, about the Goan culture. So, what would the Saxtiikars refer Margoa to being in? Northern South Goa? (by the way, who are these Saxtiikars?)

Quote:
After Hubli take the Karwar route, clearly marked and as it appears on Google Maps.
Do you want me to go to Karwar and then come up north on the Edapally-Panvel highway to Margoa? Can you elaborate/confirm/verify please?

Quote:
Take the above Karwar route. If you take the Mollem route, go to Ponda and then get to Margao via Borim bridge. Much better and wider road.
So, which do you recommend? Karwar-Concona-Margoa or Ponda route? How is the road condition up to Karwar and then up to Margoa?
I prefer driving on good roads even if it is going to be some 50 odd km more.

Quote:
First time to Goa, then absolutely avoid - wrong side driving, unnecessary honking, flashing headlights, driving on high beams, littering. Be courteous and follow basic rules in a civil society. We Goans are very serious about this.
Point well taken. Will respect the law of the land to the best of my abilities.

Quote:
4 days is long enough to visit most places in South Goa - Margao. Margao itself does not have any major tourist attractions - one being the Holy Spirit Church of Kabhie Haan Kabhie Naa fame.
What's your advise for me for Central (Panjim) Goa and North Goa?

Quote:
Loads of awesome beaches - Betul, Benaulim, Palolem, Colva, etc. Pick one and spend the whole day there. Palolem is the most safest to enter the water. But use your discretion.
Sure will. Between Benaulim and Colva which is better (prefer less crowd)?

Quote:
There is a Naval Museum in Vasco. Worth a visit if you like naval stuff.
Will visit this place.
Quote:
South Goa has an awesome load of food joints. Too many to list - use tripadvisor to pick.
Will do.
Quote:
Do this, dress up in your best formals and head out to a church for midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Does not matter what religion you are, just go for the mass at Holy Spirit Church. There will be mass; dance and music will follow. Make merry and enjoy yourself. Trust me you wont get it anywhere in India. It happens in other parts but is restricted to the parish. No such thing in my state. I am not a Christian but never miss Midnight Mass.

Again your discretion, but this is the most Chrismassy thing you can do on Christmas day.

Then there will be loads of parties the Christmas day evening. Look up local newspapers and take your choice. The ones in 5 star hotels to the one under the pandal on the street - all will be happening. Trust me.
Thanks for this advise. Will certainly attend the midnight mass and the evening party.
Old 17th December 2015, 12:06   #3345
BHPian

Hello everybody

Planning on driving from Bangalore (whitefield) to Agonda, Goa on the 24th.

Can start as early as 3:30-4:00 if that helps. Google suggests the route below but I do not see mention of the Gokarna section in the previous posts. It is my first drive to Goa and would love to hear from you about which routes will give me the best time and stops (bio & food).

Any tips for the return journey also appreciated.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screen-shot-20151217-12.05.51.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks