Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:37   #4831
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Greetings BHPians,

I just got back from a 7N/8D trip to Goa from Bangalore. Drove 1420 kms
Hi Santosh.Kat, what was the driving time in either of these routes?

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd February 2020 at 08:44. Reason: Mod Note: Please try to avoid quoting the entire post for easy readability, especially for members accessing via smartphones
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:09   #4832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Drive Day 1 Breakfast stop: Hotel Anand Kushi (Bad choice, but hungry stomach overruled food quality!)
I have sometimes stopped at small places in the villages/towns along the road, and the food has actually been fairly good. Guess it is about gut feel, but generally try to see how neat they are - at least on the outside. While this is not a confirmation of the food quality, somehow it has worked so far. The regular larger hotels on the highways - I try to see the upkeep. If the upkeep/layout or even the board is not clean/neat, I skip these.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:55   #4833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
Hi Santosh.Kat, what was the driving time in either of these routes?
Onward: around 11.5 - 12 hours
Day 1: Bangalore(Mahadevapura, 7:30am) - Shivamogga(1:30pm): 6 hrs (driving 5.5 hrs)
Day 2: Shivamogga(9:30am) - Karwar(2pm): 4.5 hrs (driving 4 hrs)
Karwar (3:30pm) - Cavelossim (4:45pm): 1 hr 15 mins
Return: 12 hours
Day 1:Cavelossim(1:30pm) - Karwar(3:30pm): 2 hrs (Driving 1.5 hrs)
Karwar(4:20pm) - Davanagere(9:20pm): 5 hrs
Day 2: Davanagere(2pm) - Bangalore(Mahadevapura, 7pm): 5 hours

Last edited by Santosh.Kat : 23rd February 2020 at 12:55. Reason: Removed blank lines
Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 20:03   #4834
BHPian

Just now returned after a road trip to Cavelossim, Goa. Took the Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola -Karwar- South Goa route as suggested by Google maps.

On 21st February, friday(Shivaratri holiday), we took exactly 11 hrs to reach Cavelossim including a total of 1 hr 45 min spent for breakfast(hotel Mysore, after Chitradurga town, good place) and lunch(Karwar, Hotel Ajwi, after the warship museum INS Chapal, food was typical coastal fare, fish was good). Actual driving time approx 9 hrs 15 min. This was when we departed Indiranagar, Bangalore at 4.45 am and after spending 1 hr to reach Tumkur road-ring road jn.

Regarding road conditions, it's fine for the first 200 kms from Bangalore. After you cross Chitradurga, road works lead to deviations onto service road, which have some poorly designed speed breakers and is mostly single lane. If you are lucky, you can keep up good speeds on the diversions too, but it becomes strenuous if you are caught behind slow moving traffic.

After Bankapur, the left to Mundgod and then Yellapur is mostly deserted village and forest roads. There is a particular point (ShidlaGundi bridge between Mundgod and Yellapur), where bridge work is in progress and the diversion is off road. I saw hatchbacks handle it, and feel even low sedans should be able to carefully cross it. Otherwise, the roads are as expected.

We took the same route on our way back today. Left Cavelossim Goa at 8 am, reached home in Indiranagar at 6.45 PM including the customary 1 hour spent in traffic from yeswantapur). This time we spent only 45 min for a lunch break. Hence total time taken was 10.45 min and actual driving time was 10 hours. Reasons for the slightly longer time include my sluggishness after a hearty breakfast, morning traffic in South Goa roads and some extra time spent in toll plazas as we entered Bangalore.

Good route as long as we do the Mundgod-Yellapur section in daylight, I feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot_20200224195646__01.jpg  

drjkonline is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:43   #4835
Senior - BHPian

I too did south goa trip last week,
took the same route as always while going and on return .

Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola -Karwar- South Goa

Took 10 hours to reach palolem and about 11 hours while coming back.

The ShidlaGundi bridge between Mundgod and Yellapuri is under repair , and there is a 200mtr off road deviation clearly marked .I feel it is very much doable in any car with caution , saw a honda city cross it easily .

Would suggest this route for South Goa in day light , avoid it in darkness.
The road work between chitrdurga to davengere is a bit of a bother though.
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 07:30   #4836
BHPian

Did a trip to Karwar recently. An update on the Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur section. Took the Bankapur route. There is barrier as you enter Bankapur village, apparently something to do with COVID. So you have to take a diversion through some narrow lanes. Once you cross Bankapur, there is a small culvert under repair, with only one vehicle being allowed at a time. After that there is a major relaying of road going on, where they have removed the top layer of the road. Good for the future, but with the rains on it is messy. Also the bridge in the forest before Yellapur is still under construction. I would avoid the Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur route until these repairs are done.

Last edited by indusboy : 21st June 2020 at 07:34. Reason: Minor edits
indusboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:25   #4837
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this update. I may be driving to Karwar over this weekend. What route is recommended ? Should i just drive upto Hubli and then take the route through Yellapur?
Old 30th June 2020, 16:55   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thanks for this update. I may be driving to Karwar over this weekend. What route is recommended ? Should i just drive upto Hubli and then take the route through Yellapur?
Yup, that is what I would recommend. Avoid Bankapur-Mundgod.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:32   #4839
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. This is helpful. My trip moved to thr next weekend. I'll update once I finish the drive.
Old 15th August 2020, 00:04   #4840
BHPian

Anyone tried Bangalore to Goa drive recently please throw light on the status of the roads, ease of travel, border checks for covid, etc. I am planning to drive the last week of August and don't know what to expect.
Old 15th August 2020, 09:14   #4841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. This is helpful. My trip moved to thr next weekend. I'll update once I finish the drive.
Quoting myself :

I did this trip over the last weekend of July. Bangalore to Hubli as always is stress free. The diversions continue for several KM's but nothing that any vehicle cant handle. The pain is when you get stuck behind 3-4 trucks on the service / diversion roads and then having to deal with the impatient cars and others who try to create a lane.

Hubli to Karwar was excellent. The roads are good ( barring a 2 km stretch just at the exit of Hubli ). The roads through the jungle were awesome to drive on. Could keep up with speeds of around 80-90 on that road.

The Ankola - Karwar roads are good too. The 4 laning work progress is good.

Overall, the drive was pretty liberating. The monsoons added to the mood too.

The only stop onward we did was at 'Apoorva Resorts' at Davangere -for a quick hot coffee and a wash room break.

In the return, we did a pit stop at Shell - Hubli. Clean washrooms, good coffee and a good shop for buying edibles, while your car is getting tanked up.

I must say though, that during our Monday evening return, i could sense more than normal highway traffic. The Nelamangala toll extended to more than a KM. They had to open up for free flow of vehicles. NICE road saw heavy traffic as well ( was around 7.30 PM )

All in all, a good drive. Most were following Social distancing and masks. Many were in absolute dis-regard to this. The traffic continues to be high on the highways.
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 08:56   #4842
BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself :

I did this trip over the last weekend of July.
Did you have to get a COVID test done? What is the paper work needed at the state borders?

Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 09:51   #4843
Senior - BHPian

Hi Indusboy- sorry for not being clear. I did the Bangalore - Karwar trip and update road conditions till Karwar. I did not enter Goa.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 21:57   #4844
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Indusboy- sorry for not being clear. I did the Bangalore - Karwar trip and update road conditions till Karwar. I did not enter Goa.
I was about to ask the same question
However, did you need to explain (valid reason to travel) anywhere at tolls/checkpoints while going to Karwar ?
Old 17th August 2020, 10:42   #4845
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone Bangaloreans planning a 'workation' in Goa please in the next month or so? Exploring possibilities. Also a road condition update would be great!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks