Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 09:33   #4666
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
BLR - Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga: Probably is the best route to Shimoga with beautiful roads. Could easily get to Shimoga in less than 4 hours with a 4.30 am start. Small stretch of road near hosadurga is bad but doable in any vehicle.
Firstly thanks for a very detailed post. The time taken you mentioned, would have co-relation with the speed, and hence i would like to know what speed you normally maintain on these roads.

Initially i was thinking to come via Shimoga on my return to Bangalore last weekend, but then struck to the familiar Karwar-Hubli route. I felt the road between Baleguli cross /Ankola to Yellapur has far too many potholes .
Old 5th November 2019, 10:03   #4667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
The time taken you mentioned, would have co-relation with the speed, and hence i would like to know what speed you normally maintain on these roads.
Since it was an early morning start, JAS toll - Hiriyur turnoff was covered in 90 min, never crossed 100 kmph. Hiriyur - Tarikere was another 80 min with speeds hovering in the 70-80 kmph range. Tarikere - Shimoga was 45 min with avg speed of 50-60 kmph given the traffic and road conditions.

Baleguli cross to Artibail is very much manageable IMHO but where sedans and hatches might struggle is the ghat section. Right now its choosing between the bad stretches. You can either deal with Karwar - Honnavara and then sail to bangalore or have a relatively easy drive almost upto Hubli and then suffer the diversions.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:21   #4668

Travelled Bangalore to Panaji on 1st Nov. Panaji to Bangalore on 3rd Nov

Route Travelled: Bangalore-- Nelmangala-- Arsikere-- Shivamogga-- Jogg
Falls-- Honnavara-- Karwar-- Madgoa-- Panaji.

Road Condition::Bangalore to Jogg Falls- Superb road(No potholes)
Jogg to Honnavara- Nice scenery(few potholes)
Honnavawa to Karwar-Comparatively bad road(Many
potholes and deviations for every 2-3Kms) Karwar to Panaji-
Excellent road (scenic drive).

Time Taken:: Bangalore to Jogg Falls- 6Hrs, Jogg to Honnavar- 1.2Hrs ,
Honnavar to Karwar- 2Hrs,Karwar to Panaji- 2Hrs.

Route Travelled:: Panaji-- Ponda-- Mollem-- Anmod-- Khanapur-- Beedi--
Kittur-- Dharwad-- Davangere-- Tumkur-- Bangalore

Road Condition:: Panaji to Ponda- Excellent, Ponda to Anmod- Beautiful and
scenic, Anmod- Kittur-Moderate(Few Potholes), Kittur-
Bangalore(NH4-the riders heaven).

Time Taken:: Panaji to Ponda-1.5Hrs, Ponda to Anmod-1Hr, Anmod to Kittur-
2Hrs, Kittur-Bangalore- 7Hrs.

I will share few pictures of the road condition and places soon
SREEHARI R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 11:33   #4669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Drove down to Palolem 1st Nov weekend - updates below.
Hi,

I am driving to Palolem in the coming weekend and will take the route suggested by you above. I am stopping at Jog and will continue to Palolem the next day. Can you please suggest good places to eat along this route.
1) Bangalore to Jog Waterfall
2) Jog waterfall to Palolem

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 23:51. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote only relevant portions of posts.
Old 6th November 2019, 17:12   #4670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi,

Can you please suggest good places to eat along this route.
1) Bangalore to Jog Waterfall
2) Jog waterfall to Palolem
There are good places to eat in the Bangalore - Jog roads but it depends on which route you are taking towards Jog.

If you are driving via Chennarayapatna and Arsikere you have Swati Delicacy just before Yediyur, Hotel Mayura after Bellur Cross, Preeti Canteen in Birur and Sri Meenakshi Bhavan in Shimoga.

In case you are travelling via Chitradurga, you will get Kamat Upachar near Sira Bypass and then it will be Mysore Cafe or Upadhya Veg in Chitradurga. Mysore Cafe will be a detour of about 3 Kms for you.

While going to Palolem from Jog, You will get Kamat Executive in Honnavar, Hotel Ruchi in Kumta, Kamat Upachar in Ankola,

Ankola to Palolem is just about 70+ Kms and you will have lot of options for food in Palolem.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:24   #4671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Can you please suggest good places to eat along this route.
Assuming you are taking the Hiriyur - Ajjampur - Shimoga route, options are:
1. Marikanive gate just after deviating from highway - roadside stall on the left with very good thate idli - did eat them at 6.15 am and they were piping hot and delicious
2. Essar petrol pump, Tarikere - very clean loos. good for a bio break https://goo.gl/maps/EGY9tbuYVaiukrm26
3. Aramane Vaibhava, Tarikere - good food. clean loos https://goo.gl/maps/uxt19FnfBuqv6PCp6
4. Meenakshi bhavan, Shimoga - amazing dosa, avalakki etc. https://goo.gl/maps/CtQiusWSBeyaq8g77
5. Saanvi, Shimoga - https://goo.gl/maps/8hDTKQoPNc73BdT86
6. Green embassy, Sagara - https://goo.gl/maps/6tdzwovsprxZsDKU7
7. Shiv Sagar, Honnavara - https://goo.gl/maps/f51yEfFQFfRV3ynj8
8. Ratna Sagar, Karwar - https://goo.gl/maps/NyU9HMSCriq9gv3h6

Once you hit Palolem, the entire beach front is littered with cafes that serve decent food.

Last edited by procrj : 6th November 2019 at 20:27.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 17:58   #4672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I will be traveling in December and this is indeed a fantastic news.
Sir, I have bad news for you. Anmod ghat is closed again. I am attaching clip from local newspaper (It is in Marathi language).

Name:  Anmod ghat closure  Nov 19.PNG
Views: 1760
Size:  292.3 KB

But, I am planning to drive to Anmod ghat to see the actual trench. I am hoping, they have left enough space for a car to pass.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 23:24   #4673
BHPian

Google maps is suggesting the Kalgeri - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod ghat route. Is this route open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Sir, I have bad news for you. Anmod ghat is closed again. I am attaching clip from local newspaper
Drat! and double drat! Looks like I'll need to take Chorla ghat route. How is the road condition between Khanapur and Jamboti?

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 23:52. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Image removed from quote.
Old 8th November 2019, 14:17   #4674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marutifan View Post
Google maps is suggesting the Kalgeri - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod ghat route. Is this route open?
Drat! and double drat! Looks like I'll need to take Chorla ghat route. How is the road condition between Khanapur and Jamboti?
Try Shimoga-Honnavar route instead. The opinion here is not "too" bad about it. I used to take that road a decade ago. It was slow but good overall. Yeah, I wanted to take Anmod by December but plans need to change now. I was hoping to save atleast 30 min on wider Anmod route compared to earlier narrow route.
Check post by procrj below in this thread where he took BLR - Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga and claimed as best route. Only pain point could be NH-17/66 where lot of work is in progress. But in any case except Chorla you need to face this NH in current situation.
My recommendation is to avoid NH-4/48 beyond Chitradurga due to the flyover work. There are total 26 diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli. So reaching Shimoga via Hiriyur makes complete sense.
I too will try this route after a decade now
Old 8th November 2019, 14:22   #4675
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
check post by procrj below in this thread where he took BLR - Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga and claimed as best route.
Just some culvert work and re-asphalting are in progress before Hosadurga and a short 2 km stretch inside Tarikere is rough and by December I think definitely the Hosadurga section will be ready.
Old 9th November 2019, 17:06   #4676
BHPian

I'm planning a Bangalore to north Goa drive on this 13th. I plan to take Bangalore to Belgaum, Belgaum to Chorla and to north Goa . How is this route? Your inputs are much appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 11th November 2019, 21:10   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
I'm planning a Bangalore to north Goa drive on this 13th. I plan to take Bangalore to Belgaum, Belgaum to Chorla and to north Goa . How is this route? Your inputs are much appreciated. Thank you all.
As per my recent update the roads on Chorla have gone bad with lot of potholes post this monsoon however it can be managed by a low GC vehicle as well. Make sure you start early in the morning and cross the ghat section during the daylight itself.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:24   #4678

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Sir, first of all - happy journey and have a safe trip. I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Panaji through Belgam on last week of this month. However google is showing shortest distance through Alnavar and Londa. Please do share your experience and suggestion on roads. In my experience, roads through Anmod ghat section post monsoon turn tricky sometimes.
aditya_rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 13:32   #4679
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_rd View Post
In my experience, roads through Anmod ghat section post monsoon turn tricky sometimes.
Anmod was closed for few months due to road widening work, then opened briefly and was closed again recently, see this earlier post by @Ertigiat on this page (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries).
Old 13th November 2019, 00:15   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_rd View Post
Sir, first of all - happy journey and have a safe trip. I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Panaji through Belgam on last week of this month. However google is showing shortest distance through Alnavar and Londa. Please do share your experience and suggestion on roads. In my experience, roads through Anmod ghat section post monsoon turn tricky sometimes.
Thank you sir. Will share my experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks