Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:36   #4186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Guys, need some route advise please.

I am driving to Goa (visiting after 8 long years) and unaware of the road conditions at present.

I have reservations from Sunday 7th Oct (noon) at Cavelossim beach. Which is the best route I could take? I will be driving with family (3 of us in the Ritz)
You are not too far away from typical South Goa. Hence the Hubli Dharwad Bypass Kalhatgi Yellapura Ankola Karwar will work best for you. The route conditions on this route are good except for few rough patches around the Ghats. You have break options with CCD and Kamat at Ankola as well with 1-2 on detour and worth it with family too.

The second choice would be the usual Dharwad Bypass Alnavar Ramnagar Anmod Mollem Route that also is in good shape with few rough patches again around the Ghats.

The only thing with Karwar route is that you will end up driving longer on the busy Mangalore Mumbai highway that is undergoing 4 lane work as of now.

Safety wise both are equally good and has regular traffic. So nothing to worry.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:29   #4187
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have reservations from Sunday 7th Oct (noon) at Cavelossim beach.

I can leave on Saturday (6th Oct) afternoon for a night stay enroute as I will be the only one driving and not too convinced if I can drive the whole hog in one day considering I will be the sole driver.
I don't think the overnight stay mid-way is really required.

Since your check-in is on Sunday (usually lower traffic when heading out early morning from Bangalore), you can leave early morning (say 4-5am) and still reach by afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You are not too far away from typical South Goa. Hence the Hubli Dharwad Bypass Kalhatgi Yellapura Ankola Karwar will work best for you.
Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura route is an option too. From Yellapura it is the same route as the one above.
Slightly narrow sections compared to Hubli-Yellapura, but nothing to worry.

*As Parag has mentioned, there is road widening work between Ankola-Karwar but was manageable when we traveled last year around the same time.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd October 2018 at 22:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 02:48   #4188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
I would like to know the road conditions from Ramnagar till Ponda{South Goa}
I understand the entry permit/fee of Rs 250/- is abolished by the Goa Govt not sure about this Those who have travelled very recently please update about this
Ramnagar to Ponda route is good. No issues there.
The entry permit fee of Rs..250/- has been abolished over an year ago. There's NO entry fee now to Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2018 at 07:04. Reason: Fixed quote tag
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 09:47   #4189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapura route is an option too. From Yellapura it is the same route as the one above.
Slightly narrow sections compared to Hubli-Yellapura, but nothing to worry.
In fact, few years back I had in detail referred about this option (Bankapura - Mungod) and also compared it against the Hubli - Kalhatgi route in the post below:

Quote:

The Mungod Route:

It is indeed a time saver. Sample this, we turned right at Yellapura exactly at 1522 Hours by the clock and hit NH4 at Shiggaon at 1630 Hours. This is almost 70 mins with very sedate driving (say 70kmph max) as daughter was sleeping and it was a new road, narrow with few sudden turns and small speedbreakers. I don’t think if one takes Yellapura – Hubli Bypass – NH4 route, you can reach any faster to Shiggaon where we joined NH4.

The petty speedbreakers here at few villages should not bother you at all. None of these are car breakers! If you miss them, you can still pass them over without breaking a Bone or a suspension component. Anyway, you will hardly be able to do anything more than 70-80 kmph as the roads is less in wider and you will hardly get a straight stretch to belt some good speeds.

Should you take this deviation at all ?

Well, my answer would be a firm YES if you are looking for a calmer, scenic & definitely FASTER option to hit Yellapura from Bangalore.
Hence, I have quite a few number of times advised to take the Mungod option but as of today or rather since past few months, due to recent rains, the internal roads may not be in best of shape.

Secondly, for someone who's query has 'Family + Safety + Good Roads' and is mostly a non-regular to certain types (Internal) roads, I would advise the usual Kalhatgi - Yellapura. If that same someone tells if there are alternate routes since he has taken the usual one few times or is ready to experiment a different route, Bankapura - Mungod is the one I would advise.

The same holds good for Chorla too where earlier the both Khanapur - Jamboti as well as Kittur - MK Hubli - Khanapur were alternate options to take Chorla but time and again the roads here keep deteriorating as per reports and as per few of my known folks who have taken it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 16:26   #4190
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need some route advise please.

I am driving to Goa (visiting after 8 long years) and unaware of the road conditions at present.

I have reservations from Sunday 7th Oct (noon) at Cavelossim beach. Which is the best route I could take? I will be driving with family (3 of us in the Ritz).

I can leave on Saturday (6th Oct) afternoon for a night stay enroute as I will be the only one driving and not too convinced if I can drive the whole hog in one day considering I will be the sole driver.

Which is the best route in terms of safety, road conditions, quality of hotel to stop enroute?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and inputs.
Quote:
I don't think the overnight stay mid-way is really required.
I absolutely agree that overnight stay isn't required. Break your journey into 2 major milestones (Bangalore to Hubli - Hubli to Cavelossim) & you probably will realize, reaching Goa isn't much of a task.

If you start from Bangalore by 5 AM, you should be in Hubli by 9-9.30 AM. From Hubli you may require close to 4 hours to reach Cavelossim.

Quote:
Since your check-in is on Sunday (usually lower traffic when heading out early morning from Bangalore), you can leave early morning (say 4-5am) and still reach by afternoon.
Lower traffic not only when heading out of Bangalore but lesser traffic all the way till Cavelossim as most of the traffic will be outbound.

Quote:
Secondly, for someone who's query has 'Family + Safety + Good Roads' and is mostly a non-regular to certain types (Internal) roads, I would advise the usual Kalhatgi - Yellapura. If that same someone tells if there are alternate routes since he has taken the usual one few times or is ready to experiment a different route, Bankapura - Mungod is the one I would advise.
Based on your requirement I would recommend, Bangalore - Hubli bypass - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Dharbandora - Sanvordem - Quepem - Cuncolim - Cavelossim.

Why this route? First & foremost, no road widening/ Road construction activity. Other than it Bangalore to Hubli is four lane/six lane highway. Hubli bypass to Ramnagar is tolled 2 lane road with wide shoulders. From Ramnagar till Dharbandora it is NH-4A, a 2 laned wider road. Patch between Anmod ghat (Karnataka section) will slow you down for few kms, but nothing worrisome.

From Dharbandora till Cavelossim is typical Goan road. Neither very wide nor very narrow and without potholes. Also the day you are traveling being Sunday, the roads within Goa will be quieter

Sample itinerary for your reference,

Start from Bangalore - 5 AM
Reach Cafe Coffee Day at Shiggoan - 9.00 AM
Refresh/Breakfast & leave for Goa - 9.30 AM
Reach Ramnagar - 12.00 Noon
Take Snacks Break & restart - 12.30
Reach Cavelossim - 2.30 PM.

I have not mentioned about Lunch break because there aren't any good options (especially when you are with family), once you leave Hubli bypass till you reach your destination.

P.S. - I am sure Parag Sir can guide you much better than me for stopover between Bangalore & Hubli.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 18:06   #4191
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Further to my earlier post, our trip is to Calangute, hence after reading the related posts here, I have the following options :

1. Bangalore - Hubli bypass - Kittur - Khanapur-Chorla -Mapusa- Calangute

2. Bangalore - Hubli byepass-Ramnagar- Anmod-Ponda-Panaji-Calangute

In terms of driving comfort , road condition , and time saving which would be the best option for me please ?

Regards,
Old 5th October 2018, 18:22   #4192
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
In terms of driving comfort , road condition , and time saving which would be the best option for me please ?
Go with #2 the Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda route. Couple of diversions for unfinished bridges and some potholes on the ghats (as per recent updates here) are the only minor irritants.
Old 7th October 2018, 21:48   #4193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post

Sample itinerary for your reference,

Start from Bangalore - 5 AM
Reach Cafe Coffee Day at Shiggoan - 9.00 AM
Refresh/Breakfast & leave for Goa - 9.30 AM
Reach Ramnagar - 12.00 Noon
Take Snacks Break & restart - 12.30
Reach Cavelossim - 2.30 PM.

I have not mentioned about Lunch break because there aren't any good options (especially when you are with family), once you leave Hubli bypass till you reach your destination.

P.S. - I am sure Parag Sir can guide you much better than me for stopover between Bangalore & Hubli.
What was the speed you traveling at? Google maps show a totally different time duration. This is the first time am driving from BLR to Goa, hence asking.
Old 9th October 2018, 10:23   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
What was the speed you traveling at?
It wasn't me driving. It is sample itinerary. But the timings are based on my regular drive on this route.

Quote:
Google maps show a totally different time duration. This is the first time am driving from BLR to Goa, hence asking.
Kindly use depart at option from Google map & it will give you relative timing.

If you leave from Bangalore early morning there will hardly be any outbound traffic. This allows you to cruise at around 100 kmph till Kyathsandra. Road widens to six lane from four lane as soon as you cross the Kyathsandra toll, allowing you to cruise at 100-110 kmph. The six lane road ends just before Chitradurga but thereafter the density of traffic will be thin allowing you to maintain the same speed.

Once you reach Hubli bypass, your speed will come down considerably. You will have 2 lane road all the way till Goa. You come across heavy traffic from Gabbur toll till you exit for Goa. But thereafter wider 2 lane road (if you are taking Alnavar/Ramnagar road) till entry of Anmod ghat. The road becomes narrower (Nothing worrisome as such) until you enter Goa again.

Ensure you do not exceed 80 kmph on Hubli Goa road. We tend to rush because of sparse traffic and better roads but please mind, it is 2 lane road.

By the way what is your destination in Goa? Goa is a state, please specify destination as there are different routes to reach North Goa & South Goa.
Old 9th October 2018, 11:03   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
By the way what is your destination in Goa? Goa is a state, please specify destination as there are different routes to reach North Goa & South Goa.
Thanks for your response. Am traveling to Cavelossim. I cannot start early up in the morning. Will have to start around noon. Planning to take a break in Davengere or Hubli and then continue to Goa the next day. Speeds of 100/110 seem reasonable.
Old 9th October 2018, 13:52   #4196
BHPian

I am a newbie in this forum and need some guidance on the route from Bangalore to Goa. This is my first road trip in this route and am travelling with my wife and kid. Given below is the high level plan that I have, w.r.t the hotel reservations made. Any help is well appreciated.

Bangalore to Gokarna (and 2 nights in Gokarna) : I am planning to start from Whitefield around 5 am.

1. Should I take the Tumkur-Shivamogga-Gokarna route? Or, Davanagere-Ranebennur-Sirsi-Gokarna route?

2. Is it worth having a detour via Jog falls before I reach Gokarna? Is the Oct-Nov timing a good time for Jog falls visit? If yes, what is the change in route recommended?

a. Hosadurga-Shivamogga-Jog falls route? Or, Ranebennur- Sirsi- Jog falls route?
b. Any insights on the recent road conditions in the belt around Jog falls?

3. I am planning to drive safe in moderate speeds (100kph max, 60-70 kph average), especially since I am travelling with my kid. How much travel time should be expected to reach Gokarna?

4. Breakfast & lunch suggestions enroute?

Gokarna to South Goa (and 2 nights in South Goa) : I guess one needs to simply follow Google Maps. Any other suggestions?

1 night in North Goa : Planning to follow Google Maps as it is.

North Goa to Bangalore: I don’t want to make it 1 single long drive. Hence planning to start on one afternoon (say, 1 or 2 pm) and reach Dandeli by evening and spend the evening/night there. And then drive from Dandeli in the morning (9 or 10 am) and reach Bangalore by evening.

North Goa to Dandeli : What are the route options? Which one is recommended on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? Google is suggesting Mollem-Anmod route and reach Gharli and then take a detour to Dandeli? Any insights on road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to reach Dandeli?

Dandeli to Bangalore : Looks like there are 2 main options (below). Which one is recommended? Again on the basis of safety + journey experience + road conditions? How much travel time should be expected to? reach Bangalore from Dandeli? Lunch suggestions enroute?

a. Dandeli – Mundgod – Bankapur - Ranebennur - Bangalore route (without touching Hubli)
b. Dandeli – Haliyal – Dharwad –Hubbali - Bangalore
Old 9th October 2018, 13:56   #4197
BHPian

I plan to drive to Karwar over the weekend. Can someone suggest me the ideal route based on road conditions? As people traveling to South Goa may use Karwar route I am posting my query here.

Google shows. -> Bangalore-nh48-ranebennur-exit bankapur-mundgod-yellapur-ankola-karwar.
Old 9th October 2018, 14:25   #4198
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
Google shows. -> Bangalore-nh48-ranebennur-exit bankapur-mundgod-yellapur-ankola-karwar.
This route is fine, though there are some narrow sections but manageable and traffic is usually low.
Another option would be Bangalore(NH 48)-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar

(Both the routes are same from Yellapura onwards).

Assuming you're driving during the day (preferably an early morning start from Bangalore), maybe you can take the Bankapur route onwards and the other one for return.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th October 2018 at 18:46. Reason: Typo fixed on request.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 15:12   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Thanks for your response. Am traveling to Cavelossim. I cannot start early up in the morning. Will have to start around noon. Planning to take a break in Davengere or Hubli and then continue to Goa the next day. Speeds of 100/110 seem reasonable.
Please consider taking break at Hubli instead of Davangere. You should easily be able to reach Hubli before fall of night and there won't be much of driving required next day.

You can stay close to National highway (Near Airport).

Recommended Hotels are Clarks Inn or Dennison Hotel

Next day either you can leave early and reach Goa before noon or leave after breakfast and reach your destination for lunch.
Old 9th October 2018, 16:03   #4200
BHPian

Quote:
Go with #2 the Ramnagar-Anmod-Ponda route. Couple of diversions for unfinished bridges and some potholes on the ghats (as per recent updates here) are the only minor irritants.

Thanks sir ! MY only concern with Option #2 is that we will need to go through Panjim city mid-day traffic , which delay us.

Most Viewed