Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 13:14   #4171
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
For the return, I plan to start from Canacona in the morning, but after sunrise.

I understand what you are saying About north and south, but I would be willing to take a longer route, for a smoother and faster ride. However, going via karwar and hubli looks very much longer in distance as well as time. Google maps is also suggesting that I go via sanvordem. But the two options that you suggested are not evident. In any case, my trust in google maps for uncharted territories is extremely low, after it made me take a "new route" to Jodhpur from udaipaur last year, which had me going through smaller and smaller villages.
Probably google is trying to show you shortest route available.

I suggest you take below route till Belgaum,

Canacona - Sanvordem - Dharbandora - Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Khanapur - Belgaum.

Route suggested by Gmaps,
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-picture1.jpg

Route Suggested by me,
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-picture2.jpg

Quote:
So how bad is the road at anmod? Is it Mumbai-in-this year's-rains bad? Or better? Like watch your speed so you can avoid them? And apart from that stretch, is it comparable to the hubli ankola "counter intuitive" route in terms of road quality?
Trust me, roads till you enter Belgaum are pretty good. Karnataka side section of Anmod ghat is having few rough/broken patches. They are like, watch your speed and you can avoid them. But don't worry much as road in ghat section gets narrower as soon as you enter Karnataka. Your speed will come down to probably 40-50 kmph. It is matter of 10-15 minutes, road will get better & wider once you reach the tableland.

Once you enter Belgaum (pwd road), the roads are pretty bad for 3-4 kms. Drive dead slow. Once you clear this bad patch, I believe you will have smooth sailing all the way till Mumbai.

Quote:
I will plan to be driving a 4x4, but it's a soft roader (and not an off reader) in every sense of the word, right down to the soft, unnecessarily expensive tyres. I hope that explains why I don't mind a few km extra for better roads.
I drove Ertiga last night & have done at least 3-4 trips to Belgaum in last 20 odd days. Now I leave to you to compare 4 x 4 ride Vs Ertiga ride.
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 19:03   #4172
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Probably google is trying to show you shortest route available.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate the effort to put up the screenshots. I'm pretty clear now about now to go about the return.

Will update how it went on the forum.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2018 at 19:15.
kdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:38   #4173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I am planning to drive to Goa from Bangalore in the last week of October. I am driving with 2 kids (aged 7 and 10) and wife. I am the only driver and have not driven long distance much in south India. I am planning to start early on 28th and come back on 31st. Stay is at Mandrem. Can anyone please advise which route I should take, where should the ideal stops be and when I can expect to reach? I will be starting from HSR layout in Bangalore. A coordinate with marked suggested stops would be best (I know I am asking too much) but if someone can, nothing like it.
Quote:
Excellent! Will PM you with contact details etc. We can sync up drive together!
You dont have PM rights or chose not to receive PMs. Drop me an email at gtonsing@gmail please
I am taking liberty to assume you both will be starting together. Since you will start by 5 AM, you should be in Goa before evening.

Routes post Hubli will be different for both you. gtonsing’s destination is Mandrem which North of North Goa & Arun’s destination is South Goa.

Route recommended for gtonsing,

Bangalore – Hubli – Kittur – Bidi – Khanapur – Chorla – Sakhali – Bicholim – Mapusa – Mandrem

Route recommended for Arun,

Bangalore – Hubli – Ramnagar – Anmod – Mollem – Ponda – South Goa

There is another route which I would recommend for gtonsing,

Bangalore – Hubli – Ramnagar – Anmod – Mollem – Usgao (Tisk) - Sakhali – Bicholim – Mapusa – Mandrem

If you choose this route, you & Arun will be together to a longer period of time. One more advantage by sticking to above mentioned route will be less tiredness. I always feel Chorla is little tiring after you drive for about 8 odd hours. Also you get wider route all the way till Usgao. You can try Chorla while you head back to Bangalore.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:51   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore – Hubli – Ramnagar – Anmod – Mollem – Ponda – South Goa
Ertigiat, Is the Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem really bad with potholes? I read your earlier post that mind you speed and you should get through, but some posts above have said that huge craters which have scrapped Creta underbody?? little confused at to what is the status.

I am planning a trip mid of October and always prefer this route only hope that it does not rain and the condition worsens further! Now a little concerned that I might have to take the Chorla route...as you rightly said this route is more relaxed than the Chorla route.
diogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:54   #4175
Senior - BHPian

For folks frequenting this thread, some more fresh/latest updates about Chorla/Anmod available here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...eries-162.html (Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa : Route Queries)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th September 2018 at 12:08.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 12:00   #4176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Ertigiat, Is the Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem really bad with potholes? I read your earlier post that mind you speed and you should get through, but some posts above have said that huge craters which have scrapped Creta underbody?? little confused at to what is the status.
I had posted these Creta posts based on my relative's information. Not necessarily means he drove carefully to avoid it completely causing Creta to scrap. Also I mentioned that I had not taken that route but since others are helping with the information, perhaps it is perfectly drievable with extra care.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 24th September 2018 at 12:03.
Old 24th September 2018, 13:12   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry much . What we are speaking is about 4 to 5 kms of bad road of total ~ 600 kms, one travels from Bangalore to South Goa. These craters can easily be tackled even by Nano, unless you are speeding. Drive cautiously for those few kms you will be home.

P.S. - Chorla route once you enter Goa isn't in great condition either.
Old 24th September 2018, 13:31   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Ertigiat, Is the Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem really bad with potholes? little confused at to what is the status.
Diogo, If you are staying anywhere in North Goa during your drive here, either Chorla or Anmod routes are recommended. If you intend to stay in South Goa, like Palolem,Agonda, Patnem or Galgibag (Around Canacona to put it simply) the Haveri -Bankapur -Mundgod - Yellapur -Karwar -Goa is a better option. This saves you some time and effort spent in navigating the narrow Goan roads from North to South Goa.

Ramnagar -Anmod road is a good road but with few potholes due to recent monsoon, but nothing to be alarmed about., Some KSRTC Volvos and Hubli Buses from Goa take this route. On chorla route you don't find large buses which is again an advantage (if you see it as one).

I would prefer chorla as it is more exciting to drive upon, more scenic and engaging than Anmod -Molem route. And of course in mid October, there are very little chances of any rain. So that should not bother you much either.

Last edited by ashkamath : 24th September 2018 at 13:34. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 24th September 2018, 14:51   #4179
BHPian

Quote:

There is another route which I would recommend for gtonsing,
Bangalore – Hubli – Ramnagar – Anmod – Mollem – Usgao (Tisk) - Sakhali – Bicholim – Mapusa – Mandrem
......Also you get wider route all the way till Usgao. You can try Chorla while you head back to Bangalore.
Thank you so much for the advise. This is what T-BHP is for, isnt it, helping fellow BHPians. Really appreciate it. I am going to make note of this route and see how it all turns out.
Arun and I are connected and will plan more details closer to the actual drive dates. Though 5 am is suggested, I am thinking the earlier we start, the sooner we reach the sands of Goa, I want to spend as much time as possible (obviously). So will propose an earlier start.
Is there a sign.name board with that name "Usgao"? I need to have a photo of it

Again, Thank you Ertigiat
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 15:34   #4180
BHPian

Is there any recent update on the Bankapur- Mundgod- Yellapur road? I travelled on this route more than a year back and I recall scrapping the bottom of my car's underbody on a waterlogged section inside the forest. I am travelling to Palolem again after a fortnight. I'm in two minds whether to go till Hubli and then take left towards Yellapur. This time the car will be fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage, so worried about damaging underbody.
Old 24th September 2018, 16:15   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I had posted these Creta posts based on my relative's information.

Quote:
Don't worry much . What we are speaking is about 4 to 5 kms of bad road of total ~ 600 kms,
Rajivtelang, Ertigiat, thanks for the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Diogo, If you are staying anywhere in North Goa during your drive here,
..Ramnagar -Anmod road is a good road but with few potholes due to recent monsoon, but nothing to be alarmed about.,
Thanks Ashkamath.
Yes, will travel to North Goa so prefer this route. I agree that the Chorla is more exciting to ride, but for my folks it's too many turns and twists and this leads to motion sickness, hence I prefer the Anmod route, the sickness is there on this route too but a till less I suppose
diogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 16:47   #4182
BHPian

Quote:
This is what T-BHP is for, isnt it, helping fellow BHPians.
Agreed

Quote:
Arun and I are connected and will plan more details closer to the actual drive dates. Though 5 am is suggested, I am thinking the earlier we start, the sooner we reach the sands of Goa, I want to spend as much time as possible (obviously). So will propose an earlier start.
It is fantastic idea to begin earlier than 5 AM. Then you should target Hubli or nearby Hubli for Breakfast. Kamat Upchar before Varur should be ideal stop. You should be there by 8-8.30 if you start by 4.00 AM. Even if you start by 9.30 from Kamat Upchar you will be in Mandrem for lunch. Have sumptuous lunch - Crash onto the bed for couple hour’s noon sleep - Freshen up for a nice evening on Beach.

Quote:
Is there a sign.name board with that name "Usgao"? I need to have a photo of it
The sign board is very much there. In addition to that I would also recommend you to use online maps.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:54   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozey View Post
Took the Bangalore - Ranebennur - Dharwad - Kittur - Chorla - Goa route.

Onwards Journey: Started at 5:00 AM and reached by 2:30 PM. Two pit stops of 15 mins each.
Return Journey: Started at 6:30 AM and reached Bangalore by 5:30 PM. Two pit stops of 15 mins each.
Hi,

Am planning to take the Family to Calangute in the 3rd week of October, and your route seems good ! Plan to start by 4.30 am from Kalyan Nagar. A few queries on the route and planning :

1. Any recommended pit stop (onward) for breakfast ?
2. Is there adequate signage after the Hubli bye-pass , for the turnoff to Bidi/Khanapur ?
3. Generally is the signage good all along including in Goa ( am not planning to use Google Map).

Regards

Last edited by navin : 10th October 2018 at 12:24.
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:02   #4184
BHPian

I would like to know the road conditions from Ramnagar till Ponda{South Goa}
I understand the entry permit/fee of Rs 250/- is abolished by the Goa Govt not sure about this Those who have travelled very recently please update about this

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2018 at 06:54. Reason: Removing naked quotes
KALSANKRPAI is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd October 2018, 19:01   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some route advise please.

I am driving to Goa (visiting after 8 long years) and unaware of the road conditions at present.

I have reservations from Sunday 7th Oct (noon) at Cavelossim beach. Which is the best route I could take? I will be driving with family (3 of us in the Ritz).

I can leave on Saturday (6th Oct) afternoon for a night stay enroute as I will be the only one driving and not too convinced if I can drive the whole hog in one day considering I will be the sole driver.

Which is the best route in terms of safety, road conditions, quality of hotel to stop enroute?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks