Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 10:20   #5941
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Just got to Bangalore via Anmod. The 12km stretch is painful (potholes, slush & drops) but manageable. When we crossed, the rains had subsided and hence assessing the road conditions was easy. It could be tricky if raining with water logging especially for low sedans. This stretch needs to be navigated slowly. Rest all is good to go!
chorispao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 16:58   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
Just got to Bangalore via Anmod. The 12km stretch is painful (potholes, slush & drops) but manageable.
How much time does it take to cover the 12 km stretch and where exactly do we encounter this?

I am planning a trip in August so want to check all options. I understand this route takes 1.5 hrs less than the Karwar route.
Old 12th July 2023, 19:29   #5943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got to Bangalore via Anmod. The 12km stretch is painful (potholes, slush & drops) but manageable. When we crossed, the rains had subsided and hence assessing the road conditions was easy. It could be tricky if raining with water logging especially for low sedans. This stretch needs to be navigated slowly. Rest all is good to go!
I had done this last year in august and it was pouring continuously and the biggest issue for me was the concrete stretch edges and I had to even get down from my car couple of times to assess how to manage the my sedan.

From the looks of it, nothing much has changed in last one year then !!
Old 13th July 2023, 09:12   #5944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
How much time does it take to cover the 12 km stretch and where exactly do we encounter this?

I am planning a trip in August so want to check all options. I understand this route takes 1.5 hrs less than the Karwar route.
This commences at 15.4373, 74.3214 & ends at 15.4406, 74.3894. Should take you a max of 20 mins to navigate. It's just about a few patches in between (dips, slush, potholes). Just need to take it easy. I will update on this July 29 when I return back to Goa. And Yes this is the fastest route to North Goa!
chorispao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 14:04   #5945
BHPian

Quote:
This commences at 15.4373, 74.3214 & ends at 15.4406, 74.3894. Should take you a max of 20 mins to navigate. It's just about a few patches in between (dips, slush, potholes). Just need to take it easy. I will update on this July 29 when I return back to Goa. And Yes this is the fastest route to North Goa!
Hello,

I am planning a trip to North Goa (Candolim to be precise) 11-15th August. Appreciate if you could update post your 29th July trip.

I am considering the following three routes as per Google estimate.

1. Bangalore - Hubli - Belagavi - Mulgoan - Calangute (640 KM, 11.5 hrs)

2. Bangalore - Hubli - Anmod - Calangute (620 KM, 11.5 hrs)

3. Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Calangute (645 KM, 12.5 hrs)

I am driving a Skoda Superb and don't mind few extra kilometers & minutes. As per Google the difference in distance is 25 Kms but the time difference is an hour.

Would appreciate inputs from fellow BHPians who travelled recently by any of the above routes.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th July 2023 at 17:03. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 17th July 2023, 18:14   #5946
Senior - BHPian

Had made a trip by KSRTC Bus between Hubli & Ponda a couple of weeks back. This was just after the last spell of heavy rains over the Ghats. The route was via Dharwad, Alnawar, Ramnagar, Anmod Ghats. While overall the stretch is mostly good the stretch is bad a little after Ramnagar (just after the Londa - Castle Rock railway line crossing) and just before Anmod. As @chorispao points out it took me roughly 30 minutes in the bus to cross the bad stretch. Except for one or two places which could be tricky for Low GC cars it is not very bad though at times of heavy rains one needs to be extra careful.
In this video of mine you can see from 11:52 the bad section

pypkmsrikanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 18:42   #5947
BHPian

Folks,

Quick check.
Which is the current best route to Goa from Bangalore considering ongoing monsoon rains?

Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad-Anmod-Varca
Bangalore- Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca [did not have a good experience on Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankpura during Oct/2022]
Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca

(See a similar post from hillsnrains as well)

Regards
Rex
Old 26th July 2023, 11:37   #5948

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Folks,

Quick check.
Which is the current best route to Goa from Bangalore considering ongoing monsoon rains?

Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad-Anmod-Varca
Bangalore- Bankapura-Mundgod-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca [did not have a good experience on Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankpura during Oct/2022]
Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca

(See a similar post from hillsnrains as well)

Regards
Rex
I am driving down to Goa(Nerul) on 29th. I am also in a similar fix on which route to chose. I am driving a Tata Altroz.
I have twice earlier, taken the Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad-Anmod - Goa route and found no issues with this route. However monsoons is a concern.

Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa is slightly longer and since I will be travelling with a toddler, would like to keep the journey as short as possible. However this route too I have taken earlier during monsoons and was a good route to drive.

Looking forward to some suggestions from folks who have travelled recently.
Old 31st July 2023, 08:52   #5949
BHPian

Hi hillsnrains, rex & albatroz
There was a change in plan, could not drive down but took the KSRTC Airavath instead. On July 29, got a notification that the bus through Anmod was cancelled and I was allocated a seat on the bus via Karwar. Got on the Airavath at Jalahalli Cross at 2100hrs and was in Panjim at 0830hrs, nearly 12 hrs with an hours break. The stretch between Yellapur & Ankola is kind of 'pitted'. So the Karwar route is good to South Goa. Ill update this thread on Aug 03, when I return to Blore via Anmod ghat.
Regards,
chorispao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 09:17   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Folks,

Quick check.
Its always:
Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Varca.

Just forget about other routes. Enjoy your journey. I have done this route more than 15 times. I have tried other routes too, but found this to be the best.
bsdbsd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 09:25   #5951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The stretch between Yellapur & Ankola is kind of 'pitted'. So the Karwar route is good to South Goa. Ill update this thread on Aug 03, when I return to Blore via Anmod ghat.
Regards,
How badly 'pitted' is this route? I took this route in August last year and found deep potholes appearing suddenly on an otherwise smooth 4 lane road. Thanks to those potholes, there were two other issues - trucks/buses criss-crossing suddenly to avoid the nasty holes and some cars facing tyre/rim damages because of the potholes.

Anyone who has done this route in the past couple of weeks, please share your experience.
Old 31st July 2023, 09:46   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How badly 'pitted' is this route? I took this route in August last year and found deep potholes appearing suddenly on an otherwise smooth 4 lane road. Thanks to those potholes, there were two other issues - trucks/buses criss-crossing suddenly to avoid the nasty holes and some cars facing tyre/rim damages because of the potholes.

Anyone who has done this route in the past couple of weeks, please share your experience.
'pitted' akin to 'some clanker in your jaws while travelling in an Airavath!'
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 23:33   #5953

Trip Report:( Bangalore-Goa) I traveled to Goa, Nerul on 29th July from Bangalore with my family. Drove a Altroz petrol. We took the Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad-Anmod-Nerul route. We started from KR Puram at 4:50 am. Next, we stopped at Apoorva Resorts for breakfast . The road condition after Nagasandra for the next half an hour or so is poor with potholes appearing out of nowhere. Eventually, the road conditions get better on NH48.
After Apoorva Resorts, which is close to Davangere, we drove straight to Goa with just a couple of quick stops including a petrol refill. Traffic between Hubbali and Dharwad on the two lane road was decent and not heavy. We went through that stretch without too much trouble.
However all things said, the stretch after turning left from Dharwad, I guess close to Anmod, for about 10-15 Kms is really really bad. Since it had rained heavily for last week, all the potholes were filled with water and it was really difficult to judge the depth and navigate. Thankfully we made it through safely with a full car, but I wouldn't do that route again until those craters are repaired. It's just not worth it.
As soon as we crossed the Goa border, the roads magically became really good. It was a really good drive down the ghats. We finally reached out Airbnb in Nerul at 3:50 pm making it a total duration of 11 hours and drive time of 10 hours. Next time I'd definitely stay in South Goa and take the Karwar route.
Hope this helps all those who will travel soon to Goa.
Albatroz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 01:06   #5954

I bit the bullet and did Bangalore-Panaji via Anmod in a BR-V last Saturday. The Hubli-Dharwad section has quite a few potholes, not a deal breaker for sedans, but the Ramnagar-Anmod section is full of craters, really wide and some were quite deep.

The BR-V did not scrape the road, but I had to drive at a snails pace to keep the car from rocking and throwing my luggage and passengers around. A majority of this section has no road now, just loose gravel and lots of potholes. It didn't rain on the day I travelled and I could see the potholes and manoeuvre, although they were filled with rain water from the previous day/night perhaps. If it is raining heavy, there is no way of seeing or knowing where the potholes are and things could get difficult if you are driving a low sedan. One crater is so huge, that the entire length and width of the car was inside it. There were sections where the BR-V's tyres were spinning freely, trying to get traction on the wet gravel and if your sedan is fully loaded, it would be best to avoid this route.
nitro_xlr8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 10:21   #5955
BHPian

I will be travelling on August 10th from Bangalore to Goa.

I am planning to take the Anmod route while going and Karwar route while coming back.

From the posts it looks like the anmod route is BAD for around 30-40 mins but apart from that its OK and ghat section is scenic as well.

I have a comparatively high GC car so don't mind taking this route.

Also, the Karwar route is also it seems not without its own set of problems.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks