Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 17:02   #5821
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I took Anmod Ghat route about a month ago while travelling back to Bangalore and police check for liquor was courtesy type. I was stopped and asked to open glove box and trunk, I politely said we do not carry any and he just let us go without checking further.
RaviGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:34   #5822

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Hi All,

Quick question, if anyone is aware about a good place to stay overnight for the stretch between Bangalore-Goa. I plan to leave along with family around 3PM and intend to drive for about 5 hours. Rest of the drive next day morning. For reference, When I was in Mumbai, we used to stay at Fairfield by Marriott in Belgaum. Anything similar along the route?
Thanks much in advance.
Cheers
I have a similar plan. Since I avoid driving at night, I am planning to stay the night in Chitradurga and start early morning from there.
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:34   #5823
BHPian

My recent experience with respect to liquor checking at Anmod is same as Anandhsub. Have traveled through Anmod 3 times in the last 5 months. The previous two times were just courtesy questions and move on but this time, they spent a good 10 minutes checking luggage etc and I saw that happening with all cars.
enygma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:59   #5824
BHPian

Hi. Has any one travelled via Yellapur, Ankola, Karwar to Goa recently. Any update on the road condition. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:44   #5825
BHPian

This appeared in the O Herald Dec 22, 2022. The issue of stray cattle on the NH section from Mollem to Ponda is a matter of concern with many accidents and loss of life. For those cruising especially at night, do slow down in this stretch.
Attached Images

chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 07:54   #5826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Hi. Has any one travelled via Yellapur, Ankola, Karwar to Goa recently. Any update on the road condition. Thanks in advance.
I travelled through this rouse yesterday. Road conditions are verry good with very occasional bad patches.

Clocked about 6 hours from Chitradurga to Karwar.
rockettech5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 16:43   #5827
BHPian

We travelled to South Goa yesterday via Blr - Hubli-Karwar bypass - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Arabail - Ankola - Canacona in a low GC sedan. Road conditions are good throughout (besides the usual few stretches past Nelamangala/Tumkur).

Hubli - Kalaghatgi stretch has slightly heavy truck traffic but other than that, roads are fine.

Another friend took the earlier Tadas left turn and reported the roads are very bad. We didn't want to do Mundgod route as past experience of it being painful almost single-lane heavy traffic.

Our usual lunch stop is at Hotel Shanbhag in Yellapur.

So my recommendation for South Goa is to drive past Bankapur and Tadas and take Hubli bypass instead..
anand_saraf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 17:14   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockettech5 View Post
I travelled through this rouse yesterday. Road conditions are verry good with very occasional bad patches.

Clocked about 6 hours from Chitradurga to Karwar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
We travelled to South Goa yesterday via Blr - Hubli-Karwar bypass - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Arabail - Ankola - Canacona in a low GC sedan. Road conditions are good throughout (besides the usual few stretches past Nelamangala/Tumkur).

Hubli - Kalaghatgi stretch has slightly heavy truck traffic but other than that, roads are fine.

So my recommendation for South Goa is to drive past Bankapur and Tadas and take Hubli bypass instead..
Thanks guys. Pleased to note that the road conditions have improved. Earlier comments around October - November were that the stretch between Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar had very sudden and bad (tyre threatening) potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
Did you take the turn at Varur to Kalaghatgi or further from the Hubli Bypass
Old 25th December 2022, 17:18   #5829
BHPian

Wr travelled from Bangalore to Margao yesterday via Hubli Anmod road. There was some massive accident near Ramnagara and thankfully I could turn back and re route via Dharwad. We left at 6am and reached Margao by 430PM, with breaks.

The Anmod route is bad on the Karnataka side and on the return I plan to come via Belgaum from Anmod. Hit Khanapur and then the highway. It may be a little longer but much more comfortable.

Bad roads on Anmod were not the problem as we drove in the Gypsy. The problem was the morons who have never driven in hills before. Overtaking on curves putting themselves and others in danger.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th December 2022 at 12:23. Reason: spacing for improved readability
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 17:30   #5830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
on the return I plan to come via Belgaum from Anmod. Hit Khanapur and then the highway. It may be a little longer but much more comfortable.
Thanks.

Is this a better option than coming via Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur?

How are the roads from Anmod to Khanapur?
Old 26th December 2022, 07:09   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Is this a better option than coming via Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur?

How are the roads from Anmod to Khanapur?
Yes. This is a much better option. The Karwar route is longer and slower due to reduced lanes. After Margao the roads are double lane which slows you down.

To get to Khanapur there is a road through the Kali Reserve which is open from 6am to 6pm only. You turn off at Jolly Hotel on Anmod Ghat which is the Goa side of the ghat and the road condition is very good. The Anmod Khanapur road is narrow but in decent condition. You should touch Khanapur in about 45 minutes. Thereafter you have the option of a 37km state highway to Dharwad. Or you can take NH4 directly and sail to Bangalore.
This route avoids the bad part of Anmod totally. The only potholes that you may encounter are on the Anmod Khanapur road. Rest will be all butter smooth highway.
SJ410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 18:20   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
2. Post Tumkur roads are good till Ramanagar left turn on Hubli - Dharwad bypass.

3. Roads leading to railway crossings are still unpaved, though some have potholes and some have been leveled to an extent.

4. Under construction stretches between Ramnagar and Anmod remain, but are navigable by sedans as well. Total drive time over such patches is 10-15 mins cumulative. Just need to be little patient.

5. Roads in Goa are smooth and wonderfully marked, as they have been for sometime.
Freebird82 - You are really patient. I did the drive this morning. We crossed the Gabbur toll plaza at 9.00 am & reached South Goa at 1.40 pm. The drive was really a nightmare. No way to drive. The pot holes have been filled with mud, but its a painstakingly slow drive to avoid scraping the bottom on a low GC car.

Its really ridiculous that we have to pay a toll whatever it is when they have done nothing at the railway crossings. Agreed the bridges take time, but the least they could do is repair the roads in the interim.

Since its all bone dry at present its fine. The day we have rains again it will be back to being a nightmare.

To top it all like SJ410 says
Quote:
problem was the morons who have never driven in hills before. Overtaking on curves putting themselves and others in danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
Quick update :

Did Blr - Goa drive on 17th Dec. The route taken was standard Blr - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - North Goa.
1. Nelamangala - Tumkur stretch has some potholes, probably for abt couple of kms, need to slow down to 50-60 kph to navigate.
I really struggled to get out of Bangalore. Wasted almost 20 to 30 mins as roads around Malleswaram from Sankey Tank road & Mekhri Circle to Yeshwantpur were all blocked.

Pot holes between Nelamangala and Tumkur and quite a few at Tumkur after the toll. I found these more unpredictable and sudden. The rest upto Gabbur was amazing except for the 2 unfinished flyovers which have remain as is for ages.

Noticed quite a few new cameras have been installed post Davanagere. No alerts popped up on Radarbot so I assume they are not active yet. Looks like speeding days are soon coming to a close.

Bio breaks between Bangalore and Davanagere. 1 at the shell pump. Pump was closed. Cleanliness Hit and Miss. One of the ladies was a real mess. The other was immaculate. Update as received. 2nd at Apporva Resorts. All great.

Had Benne Dosa at Apoorva Resorts for the 1st time ever thanks to suggestions on this thread. Loved it. Thanks a ton to all those who suggested this.

Quote:
Yes. This is a much better option. The Karwar route is longer and slower due to reduced lanes. After Margao the roads are double lane which slows you down.

To get to Khanapur there is a road through the Kali Reserve which is open from 6am to 6pm only. You turn off at Jolly Hotel on Anmod Ghat which is the Goa side of the ghat and the road condition is very good. The Anmod Khanapur road is narrow but in decent condition. You should touch Khanapur in about 45 minutes. Thereafter you have the option of a 37km state highway to Dharwad. Or you can take NH4 directly and sail to Bangalore.
This route avoids the bad part of Anmod totally. The only potholes that you may encounter are on the Anmod Khanapur road. Rest will be all butter smooth highway.
Thanks, but I read this only after reaching Goa. I didn't want to risk without a confirmation. I normally leave quite early so the 6am timing on my way back won't work. Guess I will try Karwar Ankola Yellapur on my way back and update.

Last edited by Bailey : 26th December 2022 at 18:25.
Old 26th December 2022, 23:23   #5833
BHPian

Planning to leave from Bangalore on 28th around 1 am. I will drive until early morning and will take turns with my friend, who will drive until we reach goa, on his tata nexon petrol. From what I ve read above, the usual route suggested by maps seems to be okay. This is my third time on road to Goa. The last time was 3 years ago. Will I be able to reach around noon.

About the alcohol checking part: I don't intend to encourage drinking, but wasn't there some kind of a permit, and about 2 liter per person was allowed in the car? Doesn't this exist now?
Old 27th December 2022, 13:49   #5834
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Pleased to note that the road conditions have improved. Earlier comments around October - November were that the stretch between Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar had very sudden and bad (tyre threatening) potholes.

Did you take the turn at Varur to Kalaghatgi or further from the Hubli Bypass
We took the turn further ahead, just at the main clover leaf - the arm that takes you left.
anand_saraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 16:50   #5835
BHPian

Hi folks, any update on the chorla ghat route for goa to bangalore? How are the roads now? Coming back from north goa on 1st jan, any other recommended routes?

Also, any pet friendly stay recommendations around hubli - chittradurga?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks