Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 14:15   #5731
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,

I am planning trip to Goa sometime next week and thinking of taking the below route -

1. Bangalore to Davanagere (night stay)
2. Davanagere to Jog Falls (night stay because we want to spend sometime here at the falls)
3. Jog Falls to Goa via Gokarna - Karwar

The trip is broken down into multiple stops as I will be travelling with a 3 year old for the first time. Need to give him as much break as possible. Also this rules out an early start so will be starting around 8 AM.

Looking for opinion from experienced folks here on how easily drivable is this route for a first timer. I have never driven on ghat sections so wanted to be aware of the precautions I need to take and also if I should be looking at an alternate route.
amay1283 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:38   #5732

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay1283 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning trip to Goa sometime next week and thinking of taking the below route -

2. Davanagere to Jog Falls (night stay because we want to spend sometime here at the falls)

The trip is broken down into multiple stops as I will be travelling with a 3 year old for the first time. Need to give him as much break as possible. Also this rules out an early start so will be starting around 8 AM.

Looking for opinion from experienced folks here on how easily drivable is this route for a first timer. I have never driven on ghat sections so wanted to be aware of the precautions I need to take and also if I should be looking at an alternate route.
I've been road tripping since my daughter was 9 months old. Here's my two cents:
  • Invest in a good child car seat and ensure all passengers are using seat belts during the trip.
  • If possible, take a quick solo trip to Nandi Hills for practice in climbing inclines, climbing down ghats, taking hairpin bends, always use 1st or 2nd gears only in ghats, keep your distance from vehicles in front of you as driving a manual transmission without hill hold assist in steep ghats can be challenging, it takes practice.
  • Bangalore to Davanagere should be the easiest leg as its mostly NH with 6 lanes until Chitradurga. From Durga to Davanagere there were several diversions when I travelled on this route. I usually drive until Hubli and take a halt in Hubli or Dharwad. Next Day I take Dharwad - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Palolem to reach Goa - this is the best route in my opinion. This route helps me drive slow, safe and steady at my own comfortable speed without worrying about more direct bad ghat roads. I have not taken the Jog Falls diversion so not sure about the route.
  • My daughter used to sleep off for most of the trip in her car seat. We used to carry few toys and books so that she can entertain herself when she is awake. We tried our best to not give any gadgets and it worked out fine.

Be well rested and drive at your own pace since it is a first time. All the best, wish you a safe and memorable journey!
nightfury88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:42   #5733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Ghat = honk on every blind turn, make that a rule until you are super confident. Try not to stop in ghat right from Sagar to Honnavar since the road is narrow. Keep your kid happy in this stretch so that you are not compelled to stop. There is a spot on this route where you can have a nice view of Sharavati river while coming down in ghat. That is a good spot to stop. I do not see any other issue for first timers in ghats. Lastly very obvious point, do not try to overtake dangerously and if somebody wants to overtake you in ghat, let him/her pass. Simple as that. Enjoy your trip

PS: Kindly update the entire road conditions here. This used to be my favorite route more than a decade ago and am planning to take Bangalore, Shimoga, Honnavar, Goa to reach my native next time.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd September 2022 at 21:46.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 14:05   #5734
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Ok, so a future BHPian starting on his first adventure

Travelling with my kid we used to carry 'Vomikind' kids syrup. Also some bags and water in case you need to clean up the car. The first 3-4 trips were tricky but then my kid got used to it. Also had to keep giving running commentary on the sights and sounds to keep him engaged and curious during the drive else he would get bored and cranky.

Kids do enjoy drives but I feel making the first few trips safe and comfy for them is very important.
Chinmayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:55   #5735
BHPian

Friends, what would be a good place to stop for breakfast around Hiriyur?
Old 26th September 2022, 12:33   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Folks going to northernmost extremes of Goa (read Querim, Arambol, Mandrem, etc.) - you might want to try Bangalore - Belagavi - Chandgarh - Amboli - Sawantwadi as an option. I came back to Bangalore via this route last week and was pleasantly surprised by overall state of roads, especially in the MH sector (KA roads were fabulous, as always). Amboli ghat has held up very well and there are no broken patches in that area. For the record, it took me around 10 hours for Querim - Amboli - Belagavi - Yeshwantpur including 2 pit stops - about an hour at Ganesh Hotel (which is highly recommended for its "jolada rotti" thali) and about 45 min at Paakshala just before Nelamangala.

Attaching some pics from the drive through Amboli region - loved the lush greenery at this time of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsroy View Post
Friends, what would be a good place to stop for breakfast around Hiriyur?
A new Paakshala outlet (location) near Sira was inaugurated just a few days back - might work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-amboli1.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-amboli2.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th September 2022 at 13:01. Reason: Back to back posts.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 20:56   #5737
BHPian

I am planning a Goa trip with family from Oct 1-4. Since I am not keen on driving the entire way without rest, I am planning to start from Bangalore on Sep 30th evening, and drive 4-5 hours, rest for the night, and drive the remaining distance the next day. Similarly, while coming back, I'm thinking about starting at 10 AM on 4th Oct and drive 6-7 hours, and then resume next day morning.

Please suggest a good route, and places where I could stop for the night (both days). Thanks in advance for the responses
Old 27th September 2022, 21:24   #5738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I am planning a Goa trip with family from Oct 1-4. Since I am not keen on driving the entire way without rest, I am planning to start from Bangalore on Sep 30th evening, and drive 4-5 hours, rest for the night, and drive the remaining distance the next day. Similarly, while coming back, I'm thinking about starting at 10 AM on 4th Oct and drive 6-7 hours, and then resume next day morning.

Please suggest a good route, and places where I could stop for the night (both days). Thanks in advance for the responses
I usually start on Friday evening by 4PM. Make a stay at Davanagere (Sankama Boutique Hotel or Southern Star), 300km+. Next morning reach my destination Quepem, south Goa that is almost same 300km via Anmod route. Davanagere is like at a half distance and takes 4-5 hours from Bangalore. If not in a hurry I drive this 600+ distance in one shot by starting by 6AM from Bangalore.
But considering bad road conditions on Anmod, you may take Bangalore-Hubli-Kalghatagi-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa route as an alternate route that is like 60km+ extra compared to Anmod route. I did not take this for a while but have bad experience with Anmod and Chorla ghats in August. If you have a car with big GC, go with Anmod but be careful.
Return route could be same, if you take Anmod route and find it ok, take the same while returning. I never make a stay while returning, but you may consider same hotels since they are midway and quite ok for one night stay.

Summary: Not discouraging or frightening about Anmod ghat, indeed that is the shortest route but just wanted to intimate about its road conditions and providing alternate option. Others can also provide latest data about Anmod post rains.
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 22:34   #5739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Summary: Not discouraging or frightening about Anmod ghat, indeed that is the shortest route but just wanted to intimate about its road conditions and providing alternate option. Others can also provide latest data about Anmod post rains.
I have provided a latest update in post#5722 on this stretch. It is not that bad. The bad portion is contained within a 20km stretch and very easily visible. Driving in single digit would help to get through without any issue.

I was actually shaken and tossed by the pot holes at Tumkur bypass at high speeds during dark. I’d rather worry about that than the ones in Ghat.
Old 28th September 2022, 12:31   #5740
BHPian

REQUEST: Information on route between Hubli & Colva (Goa)

Hello all,

This post is to request information on the quality of route between Hubli Dharwar Bypass till Colva in Goa. This is the route that has the infamous Anmod Car Breaker.

I will be traveling with another car, the drivers of which, are new drivers and are going out for a long drive for the first time.

Would this be the appropriate route for them? Or would you suggest that I take the longer route via Mangalore/Udupi/Murdeshwar?

A quick guidance would be appreciated and heartily thanked.

We are planning to leave this weekend.

Venkat

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th September 2022 at 13:29. Reason: Please use Search and continue on an existing thread. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2022, 13:56   #5741
BHPian

Hi All,

I am heading to north Goa tonight where my destination would be Morjim.
What I have observed is that the distance via Anmod and Chorla/Amboli are very similar (Amboli may be 20km more). Hence I have zeroed down on the later route(s) via Belgavi bypass.

I am unsure about the current road conditions of these 2 routes. I have travelled via Chorla many times in past but heard that the condition has deteriorated. It would be really helpful if I can get a recent fact check on those routes.Ground clearance is not a concern for me.

I am eager to hear from fellow members.
Old 28th September 2022, 20:12   #5742
BHPian

Re: REQUEST: Information on route between Hubli & Colva (Goa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
Hello all,

This post is to request information on the quality of route between Hubli Dharwar Bypass till Colva in Goa. This is the route that has the infamous Anmod Car Breaker.

I will be traveling with another car, the drivers of which, are new drivers and are going out for a long drive for the first time.

Would this be the appropriate route for them? Or would you suggest that I take the longer route via Mangalore/Udupi/Murdeshwar?

A quick guidance would be appreciated and heartily thanked.

We are planning to leave this weekend.

Venkat
If Colva is your destination, I would any day recommend Bangalore-Hubli bypass -Kalghatagi-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. The roads are single and smooth. Once inside Goa, Canacona bypass will shorten your travel to Colva cutting across all the villages.
Anmod road Conditions are not to my liking as it slows you down because of railway crossings and potholes.

Follow @rajivtelang's post two post below yours mentioning the details.
shenoytech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 20:41   #5743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizwan27 View Post

BLR-Hubli (left turn before city)- Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar -Palolem.
R
Took this route today to Agonda. Road condition is decent. Very good till Hubli and after that there are some bad patches but absolutely drivable. Did not have any trouble in our Honda City which is not known for its GC.

Started at 5.20am from bellandur and reached Agonda by 4.30pm with multiple stops (625 kms covered with a trip duration of 9hrs 22 mins).
satnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:33   #5744

Hey all,

I am planning a road trip to Goa on the 14th of October from Bangalore, Rajajinagar. Our destination is Ponda in Goa and the car that we will be driving is Skoda Rapid. There will be an elderly person with us, so I have a couple of questions.

- Route? I hear that the Anmod ghat route isn't so good for vehicles that have less GC. Is Karwar route preferable?
- Pitstops. We would like to have to have two pitstops atleast. One for breakfast and one for early lunch (let's say 11am to 12pm ish). Decent food with clean rest rooms is preferable. We will be leaving Bangalore around 4:30am.
- Anything else to be aware of?
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:28   #5745

Did a north Bangalore to Panaji trip yesterday. Followed the Dharwad - Anmod - Mollem route.
Started at 530am and reached before 5pm with two to three breaks in between. The route is more or less good except a 10kms stretch (as highlighted below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did a trip to Goa this last weekend and back yesterday. Took Anmod ghat on both ways. Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Panaji - North Goa.

Like already discussed here, it is only that 10-15 Kms that needs to be watched out.
The above information was very helpful. I have a JC hence didn’t face too many issues regarding GC, but needed to drive carefully for 10odd kms. Assume it’s very much possible for sedan / hatchbacks too with careful and slow drive for that stretch.

Pic from my dashboard (ignore the wrong time - after my battery drain out have not been able to fix it yet ) and one pic from as I entered Goa.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-c15a8ca823184dc1a82f1f285f6eadb5.jpeg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dacbb3989150455d9f0e74fe178a59e4.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks