Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:27   #5746
MCR
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

We just returned from Goa.

Onward journey was through Dandeli (Overnight Stop) - Jagalbet - Castle Rock - Anmod - Mollem - Panaji - Calangute.
The road from Jagalbet turnoff until Asu is in awesome condition and also wide. After Asu its a bit narrow and is deteriorating at quiet a few places.

The return was via Mollem - Anmod - Ramnagar - Dharwad. Decided to skip Castlerock due to narrow stretches and this road is good and very bad in stretches. The bad stretches are marked in yellow color on Google maps. They can pose quiet a challenge to low slung cars and saw a few BMWs and Mercs going really slow and trying the "crab" approach. For SUVs its quiet easily manageable though. It was very easy to cross with my Seltos.
The road condition is great after the second tool booth and is bad only near the railway crossing near Dharwad.

Overall it was a breeze to drive in my Seltos and reached my destination (Mysore) in 10 hours. We took two 1 hour breaks, one near Chabbi (Hubli) and another one at Nagamangala and all inclusive it was 12 hours door to door.
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:49   #5747

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey, come on! Doable in any sedan including my 330i. I live in Bengaluru you see.

But seriously, it seems manageable with care unless being chased by a ST bus. A strong suggestion is to make sure tyres are inflated to max load pressures tp avoid bottoming. Too many times this simple fact is ignored by casual highway users.
But wouldn’t max load tyre pressure lead to overheating & tyre burst danger on highways? I always thought that heated tyres expand especially on long drives 🤔
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:30   #5748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingMonk View Post
But wouldn’t max load tyre pressure lead to overheating & tyre burst danger on highways? I always thought that heated tyres expand especially on long drives 🤔
Should, created a misunderstanding. I meant max or near max recommended load pressure from the manufacturer.
Old 4th October 2022, 00:38   #5749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Going to Panaji next month. And with the inputs above, decided to brave the Anmod Mollem route (and silently curse the politicians of the Karnataka side).
Sanjuin, kindly update road conditions on your return. Hopefully all the potholes would be repaired and fresh new smooth layer of tarmac laid (what am I smoking?)
Just did a BLR to Goa trip last week. The drive to Goa was via Devanagare > Hubli > Yelapur > Karwar > Cavellosim

Stretch all the way to Hubli is mostly 6-lane and in very good condition. We did a night stay at Hubli and then decided to take the Yelapur > Karwar option. This stretch is a single carriageway highway and ok for the most part, except for a few stretches [cumulative ~20km] which is quite worn off and potholed. However, more than those rough stretches, whats more worrisome are a few fairly big potholes which appear on otherwise relatively good stretches and not very apparant. Likewise, one particular section, where the entire road cross-section just dips by a few inches - causing a massive shudder, specially as that stretch is one you would easily be doing 100+ kmph.

Return journey was more harrowing, as Google maps showed the option to be taken as Cavellosim > Karwar > Yelapur > Mungdod > Bankapur. Little did we realize that the entire stretch of Yelapur to Bankapur [you join the 6-lane NH48 at this point] would turn out to be extremely narrow for a State Highway. Its maybe 1 foot or so wider on each side of a standard sized sedan. As a result, every time 2 vehicles need to cross each other, one has to literally get off the road to let the other pass. In hindsight, though Google suggests this option as shorter and faster, my 2-cents would be to travel all the way to Hubli [take the new bypass to cross the in-city traffic] and then get onto NH48. Though longer, you would easily save 30 to 45 mins in my view, if you mostly drive around 110-120 kmph.

All in all, for folks exploring the drive to Goa option, I would say that you plan for the drive to be approx 10 to 11 hrs to be on the realistic side [with maybe 1 longish stop of 45 mins and 2 tea breaks of 15 mins each]. I mostly set the cruise at 119 kmph [hate the 120 kmph buzzer] wherever road conditions permit [and all of NH48 will]. With speeds in this range for large stretches of NH48 and possibly 100 to 110 kmph on the Hubli > Yelapur > Karwar stretches, 10 hrs is very doable.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 05:38   #5750

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Should, created a misunderstanding. I meant max or near max recommended load pressure from the manufacturer.
Thanks. I was worried that I was doing it wrong all these years😬
Old 4th October 2022, 12:46   #5751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amay1283 View Post
Hi All,

I am planning trip to Goa sometime next week and thinking of taking the below

Due to hotel unavailability, we cancelled our plan for jog falls and goa. We decided to start from Bangalore and halt at Chitradurga. From there travel to Karwar via Davanagere - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar as shown by Google Maps.

Started from Bangalore at 6:30 AM on 2nd Oct. Took a breakfast stop somewhere midway on Bangalore - Nelamangala toll road. The restaurant was Sri Krishna. Decent food but washrooms were not good. We couldn't rejoin the toll road due to lack of entry road and had to continue on service road. This however was a blessing since toll road ahead had a jam stretching for 5 to 6 kms. We easily saved 30 min using service road and then getting on to Tumkur toll road. Till Tumkur it sometime feels like we are driving on outer ring road but after that it was very smooth. We halted twice for 15 min eating home made snacks and walking a bit. Reached our destination, Hotel Mayura Durga in Chitradurga at 12:45 PM. The hotel turned out to be a bad choice. Decent food. Room was very poorly maintained and will not use it again. Staff is very helpful and polite.

We started next day at 6:30 AM and drove till Davanagere to breakfast at Apoorva Resorts. Benne Dosa was good. In general the hotel seemed good so have booked return stay here cancelling Mayura Durga. Started after breakfast at 8:30 AM. NH48 is mostly awesome to drive on. We took the diversion after Bankapura toll towards Yellapur (State Highway 6). The roads are mostly narrow and in ok ok condition with some very bad patches. Till Yellapur drove mostly at 40 kmph or less. Took two 10 min breaks for stretching legs. After Yellapur till Karwar the journey was pretty smooth with little bit of rain on the way. We reached Karwar by 2:30 PM.

For return will most likely try the Hubli route as suggested by SanjuInGgn.
amay1283 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 13:12   #5752
BHPian

Just returned from Goa (2nd Oct)

ONnward: Started at 5:00am from Kanakpura road. Breakfast stop at Apoorva Resorts Davangere at 8:00am (270km from start/3 hrs). Watch out for potholes/ broken stretch on Tumkur bypass a few of them are tyre shredders!. And Benne Dose's are fresh and yummy at Apporva

Started post breakfast at 8:30am and smooth sailing past Hubbali/ Dharwad. Average speed drops post Hubbali due to single carriages also saw a HORRIFIC XUV 700 crash. Car was completely obliterated just prior to Hubli bypass. Took left at Dharwad towards Ramnagar/ Tina Ghat. 20km post Ramnagar to Anmod is a mess but passable. Reached Mollem Goa checkpost at 1:30pm and Our resort in South Goa- Marriott at Benaulim at 2:30pm for lunch.

Return: Started at South Goa at 11:30 am and took the same route back. Mollem- Anmod- Ramnagar. Went into Dharwad city for a proper North Karnataka Rotti oota at Basappa Khanavali at 3pm. Stated again by 3:45 pm and non stop to home with a quick CCD coffee break in between. Was home at 10pm completing a nice quick break.

Car used was our trusted 2016 Ertiga ZDI with 1.15L on the odo. We had 5 adults with luggage for 3 days onboard with 3rd row also in use. Car performed flawlessly with zero problems. I tried to maintain 95-100 kmph consistently and the car averaged about 18 kmpl.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 5th October 2022 at 15:44. Reason: Removed non-forum emojis
Caadmara is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 20:03   #5753
BHPian

Got Back today from a North Goa (Arambol) run. Despite knowing about the bad stretches, I stuck to the Anmod route both ways as was traveling with my wife and kid and am familiar with all the stops (restaurants / Bio breaks) on the Anmod route. While the road conditions between Ramnagar and the Anmod checkpost are definitely attrocious, it shouldnt be an issue for SUVs/ Crossovers. But i saw quite a few hatchbacks / sedans also doing this stretch without too many issues. Only callout is - i would never do this stretch in the night. The bad patches require a fair bit of manoevering around and high chance you might end up in a ditch if there is poor visibility. Overall, I took 10 hours on the onward trip and 10hrs 30 mins on the return trip.

Since it was Arambol, I was tempted to try the Amboli route (thanks to Cool_Dube's suggestion - post #1536). Maybe next time.
loki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:50   #5754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Got Back today from a North Goa (Arambol) run. Despite knowing about the bad stretches, I stuck to the Anmod route both ways as was traveling with my wife and kid and am familiar with all the stops (restaurants / Bio breaks) on the Anmod route. .
Hi Loki, Could you please share some stops on this route from Bangalore.
I'm planning to go this weekend (first trip with son) so would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th October 2022, 16:32   #5755

I am going to Goa from Bengaluru on 25th October. Had a harrowing experience the last time enroute to Murudeshwar when Google Maps directed me to a road-less route. I don't want to repeat that again, expecially since this time it will be a trip with my family and two daughters.

In Goa, I am going to stay in Morjim and then at Calagute. So, my first halt is going to be at Morjim. I am looking at suggested routes to and fro.

I already feel assured from the comments that the default google maps route is same as others who have visited i.e. Bengaluru - Hubbali - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem. Point to Point - this is 639 KM, and will take 12 hrs 39 mins
Link
https://goo.gl/maps/RPCuriMzehkPHkP66

However - Just wanted to check if anyone has taken the following route : Bengaluru - Belagavi - Karve - Tilari Nagar - Dodamarg - Assanora. Point to Point - this is 650 kms and will take 12 hrs, 8 minutes.
Link
https://goo.gl/maps/8AkzkYLiPjLUqkNP7
Old 6th October 2022, 17:59   #5756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Hi Loki, Could you please share some stops on this route from Bangalore.
I'm planning to go this weekend (first trip with son) so would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Hmm. I think you might find more information if you go through older posts.
Heres a list of stops which I've taken in the past. In sequence from Bangalore to Panjim via. Anmod.

1. Shree Ratnam (before Dobbespet). On the left.
https://goo.gl/maps/R9hUze95KdTy6DRW6

2. Kamat Upachar (before Sira). On the right.
https://goo.gl/maps/8BU2bsh1hjoofVft8

3. Paakashaala (after Sira). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/PM7bkqqfamBPMKN99

4. Upadhya Ruchi (before Chitradurga). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/a79fNwdfhWYUks8K7

5. Sarvodaya Veg (before Chitradurga). On the right
https://g.page/sarvodaya-veg?share

6. Apoorva Resorts (before Davangere). On the left
https://goo.gl/maps/pc8y5cf4eFRh6ocJ9

7. Kamat Upachar (before Haveri). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/15j1o54ohfjs9RuW8

8. Royal Delhi Darbar (after Haveri). On the left
https://goo.gl/maps/QNP8r1XJ6QEgK3t56

9. Ganesh Hotel (before Hubli). On the left
https://g.page/ganesh-hotel-karnataka?share

10. Kamat Upachar (before Hubli). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/WZBMKWJhHMwswkZi6

11. Hill View Restaurant (about 10kms after the turnoff from the NH from Dharwad). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/MkxHiSrXVuHHf6VL9

12. Whistling Woods Cafe (in Ramnagar). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/Zn2rPQgi1fdhpKXz5

13. Udupi Cafe (in Ramnagar). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/25Z5pCC7ZYSeQfCPA

14. Public Toilet for Bio Break (in Ramnagar). On the right
https://goo.gl/maps/u75ojMN9yWnT8Nuf6

15. Hotel Amigos (after Mollem). On the right.
https://goo.gl/maps/4vM8RfkAK8GdPmu87

16. Hotel Amigo's (below flyover. Near intersection). On the right.
https://goo.gl/maps/CCgt66hTeYwEPqZy7

Hope this helps. Don't ask me which ones are the best out of these. I generally keep low expectations while on the road.
loki is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 08:48   #5757
BHPian

Hi All,

I did Bangalore - Goa (Betalbatim) - Bangalore from 1st till 5th Oct 2022 over Dasara weekend in my Polo GT Tsi. Thanks to Bhpian balenoed's post #5722, I decided to take the Bangalore - Chitradurga - Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod- Mollem - Ponda - Margao - Betalbatim. I would say more than 90% of this route is in top condition. The ghat section on the Karnataka side is cemented and on the goa side is butter smooth tar road. The only sections that have potholes and abrupt cement road endings are between Ramnagar and Anmod.

These bad sections are easily visible in the daytime and can be done comfortably with slow and cautious driving even in a low GC car. However, I am not sure of this when it rains and potholes are filled with water.

We took this route both ways and made it comfortably. Other than this, the entire route is good. Patchwork has been done at Tumkur bypass and the road is very bumpy as the work has not been good. Go slow on this stretch and you should be good.

We left Bangalore ( JP Nagar ) at 3:30 AM and reached Betalbatim at 2PM with one quick 25 min breakfast break at Ganesh hotel before Varur. The food was decent service was quick. On our return leg, we left Betalbatim at 10:30AM and were at JP Nagar at 9:30PM with 45 mins break for lunch.

All in all, for South Goa ( between Margao and Cavelossim) this route is good for now and you can budget 10-11 hours with 100Kmph speeds and one or two 30-40 mins break.

Last edited by trahul4 : 7th October 2022 at 08:57.
trahul4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 17:16   #5758

We travel by road 3-4 times a year from Bangalore to Goa and always take the Ramnagar/ Anmod/Mollem route. We normally start at around 5.45 Am from near Marathalli and usually stop for breakfast at Shree Rathnam (although it’s a little early). However, have always found the south Indian fare & coffee there above par. Instead of taking the bypass at Gabbur, we enter Hubli city, pack lunch from McD/KFC (their veg burgers are really good), fill petrol at the Shell pump on Gokul Road, park outside Hill view restaurant (10 km from the Dharwad turnoff like mentioned by Loki) and have a leisurely lunch inside our car . Serves 2 purposes – good quality fuel & decent lunch. On the way back to Bangalore, we start around 6.00 Am, carry light breakfast from home, park just 5 minutes after the check post & have our breakfast. Tank up at Shell Pale & have early lunch at Apoorva. We are normally back home by around 5.00 Pm barring traffic at Tumkuru. This has served us well for the last 3-4 years.

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th October 2022 at 06:51. Reason: Strictly no discussion on alcohol in the forum. Thank you!
CrusadingMonk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 23:23   #5759
BHPian

Hi I am traveling to North Goa around Diwali time. Arambol to be precise. Should I take the standard Dharward-Anmod-Mollem-Panjim route and then drive up north to Arambol or should I take Belgavi-Chandgad-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Banda route? My preference would be for a route that takes us to our destination faster
Old 10th October 2022, 11:22   #5760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Hi All,

I am heading to north Goa tonight where my destination would be Morjim.
What I have observed is that the distance via Anmod and Chorla/Amboli are very similar (Amboli may be 20km more). Hence I have zeroed down on the later route(s) via Belgavi bypass.

I am unsure about the current road conditions of these 2 routes. I have travelled via Chorla many times in past but heard that the condition has deteriorated. It would be really helpful if I can get a recent fact check on those routes.Ground clearance is not a concern for me.

I am eager to hear from fellow members.
Quoting self as I have just completed the Goa trip. Hope it will be helpful.

If your destination is north bangalore (Morjim/Arambol) then take either Belgavi-Tilari Narar or Belgavi-Amboli-Sawantwadi route. The route might be 20-30 km longer but roads are in much better condition. Please avoud Chorla route, it's in very bad state on the Karnataka side. However on Goa side it's butter smooth. It will probably take 15 minutes less. If you are travelling in SUV and can take the rough potholed terrain, then you can save some kilometers.

On return we started from Palolem( extreme south) and took Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Kalaghatgi-Hubli(bypass). This must be the preferred route and it's in good condition. It took 9:30 hrs of drive time to cover 625kms. Always avoid Google prescribed Mungod or Tadas route. The distance might be less but the roads are in very bad condition and will take you more time.
sou_3749 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks