Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 13:40   #5071
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BLR
Posts: 175
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

We visited north Goa(Baga) during the long weekend in mid January (14 to 17 Jan). Wife & I, in our Figo 1.5 TDCI.

  • Started from Bangalore on 13th Evening, halted at Davenagere, a journey of 4 hours 30 mins. I would not do this stretch again at night, since there are some diversions, and some areas are somewhat deserted. If you run into some trouble, it would be worrisome especially if you are with family. One stop for dinner.
  • Started next day at 7 AM, and reached Goa in the evening, after visiting Tambdi Surla on the way.
  • The route taken was Dhawrad - Anmod - Goa, shown in attached picture.
  • Now the biggest mistake I made - missed the diversion at Tinai Ghat. I am not sure whether Google missed it or it was me . Basically, you have this new concrete road, very wide, without markings yet completed. Suddenly, you reach a place where literally the road stops. That means, there is no road, concrete or otherwise. Very bumpy, with huge undulations. If you see this, that means you missed the diversion, which is a SMALL road on the right, before this. If you are in an SUV, this stretch is probably manageable, but my Figo did scrape its underbelly on one occasion, pretty badly I must say. This continues will Anmod, with some stretches of concrete completed in between. It was a bit unnerving. My suggestion - DO NOT go through this stretch at night. Take the diversion as I have shown in the maps.
  • Return journey was the same route, but this time we took the diversion, and even though the latter stretch had potholes, my God was it heaven compared to the Anmod Tinai section. Also, the diversion takes you through a nice forest road.
  • Reached Bangalore in the evening on Sunday, as usual mad rush to get into Bangalore, and people going crazy with overtakes, and trying to squeeze into non existent gaps.
My main gripe is that the under construction stretch between Tinai & Anmod had no markings urging us to take a diversion, or any warning signs. If someone drives off the concrete and into the crater like stretches at night (it can happen, it is that abrupt), it can be very dangerous.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa1.png  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa2.png  

wantarangerover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:06   #5072
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
We visited north Goa(Baga) during the long weekend in mid January (14 to 17 Jan). Wife & I, in our Figo 1.5 TDCI.

  • Started from Bangalore on 13th Evening, halted at Davenagere, a journey of 4 hours 30 mins. I would not do this stretch again at night, since there are some diversions, and some areas are somewhat deserted. If you run into some trouble, it would be worrisome especially if you are with family. One stop for dinner.
  • Started next day at 7 AM, and reached Goa in the evening, after visiting Tambdi Surla on the way.
  • The route taken was Dhawrad - Anmod - Goa, shown in attached picture.
  • Now the biggest mistake I made - missed the diversion at Tinai Ghat. I am not sure whether Google missed it or it was me . Basically, you have this new concrete road, very wide, without markings yet completed. Suddenly, you reach a place where literally the road stops. That means, there is no road, concrete or otherwise. Very bumpy, with huge undulations. If you see this, that means you missed the diversion, which is a SMALL road on the right, before this. If you are in an SUV, this stretch is probably manageable, but my Figo did scrape its underbelly on one occasion, pretty badly I must say. This continues will Anmod, with some stretches of concrete completed in between. It was a bit unnerving. My suggestion - DO NOT go through this stretch at night. Take the diversion as I have shown in the maps.
  • Return journey was the same route, but this time we took the diversion, and even though the latter stretch had potholes, my God was it heaven compared to the Anmod Tinai section. Also, the diversion takes you through a nice forest road.
  • Reached Bangalore in the evening on Sunday, as usual mad rush to get into Bangalore, and people going crazy with overtakes, and trying to squeeze into non existent gaps.
My main gripe is that the under construction stretch between Tinai & Anmod had no markings urging us to take a diversion, or any warning signs. If someone drives off the concrete and into the crater like stretches at night (it can happen, it is that abrupt), it can be very dangerous.
Thanks for posting this. We drove to Goa from Bangalore last Saturday and will be here until next Wednesday. We did see a small flag indicating a diversion, but didn't take it since everybody ahead of us went straight and I believe Google had asked us to continue ahead, but it was a terrible road (actually, not a road at all, but more of an off-roading experience). We drove in my Xuv500, so it was manageable. On the way back, we will take the diversion for sure.

Initially we were planning to take the karwar route and stop over at Udupi for lunch, etc, but now I am hearing that this road is not in good shape. Would love to hear opinions from people in the know whether this road is good or not? We are 6 people in the xuv500 (4 adults with 2 kids) with luggage on the roof carrier.
thejaguar is offline  
Old 3rd February 2021, 22:31   #5073
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 875
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I want to recommend this route via Goa to a cousin who is travelling next week. He is visiting Murudeshwar from Bangalore then going on to Pune and Lonavla.

Murudeshware to Lonavla via Goa

Can somebody tell me the road conditions and recommended stopover plans to make the return trip a leisure driving holiday? I’ve only been to Murudeshware Gokarna side more than 10 yrs back so I don’t know the road conditions up till Ankola from there.

Also being a senior citizen he may prefer Konkan stops to Goa. So Goa is just a scenic drive-thru plan.

I am thinking 6 hrs driving daily to facilitate 2-3 hr stops for sight-seeing. So for example Murudeshware to Ashwem first leg then Ashwem to Ganpatipule 2nd leg etc. each less than 6 h giving a few hours of stopovers. Any places recommended for stay at these places? Budget but comfy accommodation with great food. Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2021 at 16:33. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Affects readability. Thanks.
Ragul is offline  
Old 4th February 2021, 13:19   #5074
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi folks,

Very glad to be posting my first comment on a forum I have been using for long!

I took the Bangalore-Goa trip last Saturday. Here is the route I took:
- Bangalore - Davangere - Bankapura - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Karwar - South Goa.

Decided to stay in south goa for a night. The route was very good. Barring some okayish roads between (nothing to worry though) between bankapura and kalaghatgi, the roads otherwise were pretty good and highly recommended if you are going to south goa.

Planning to return this Saturday from North Goa. Here are my options:

1. Take the same soute on return (takes about 1 hour longer from north goa) - North goa - Karwar - Kalaghatgi - davangere - Bangalore
2. North goa - Anmod - Hubli - davangere - Bangalore (using the diversion recommended by everyone between Anmod and Tinai ghat)
2. Google is suggesting another route (North goa - tilari nagar - belgaum - Hubli - Bangalore). Attaching a screenshot.

Can someone suggest which option to take? Highly indebted as always
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20210204-1.16.44-pm.png  

raunak117 is offline  
Old 4th February 2021, 15:00   #5075
BHPian
 
Ertigiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 223
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunak117 View Post

Planning to return this Saturday from North Goa. Here are my options:

2. North goa - Anmod - Hubli - davangere - Bangalore (using the diversion recommended by everyone between Anmod and Tinai ghat)

Can someone suggest which option to take? Highly indebted as always
Recommended route is option 2.

North Goa - Mollem - Anmod Check Post - Left turn towards Hemmadaga - Take right turn after 4th Bridge (Usually no mobile network once you are on Hemmadaga route and high chances of Gmaps not responding) - Tinai Ghat - Ramnagar - Dharwad bypass - Bangalore
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 19:17   #5076
BHPian
 
ant_vas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 313
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Google is suggesting another route (North goa - tilari nagar - belgaum - Hubli - Bangalore). Attaching a screenshot.
Avoid this route at any cost! This road is filled with potholes till belgaum and it will slow you down considerably!
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 21:22   #5077
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Thanks, folks for the valuable inputs.

By the way @Erigiat: one suggestion from my side is to download the map offline (Google map allows you to download a certain area, up to around 300-400 kms in one go). Click on your profile -> Offline Maps -> Select your own map.

This has been super helpful for me always as I don't need to rely on the network. The GPS works even after your phone loses network. For example, for Bangalore to Goa, I have downloaded the whole are in 2 sets of maps, and I am set for the whole trip as I no longer have to worry about networks even inside Goa. Highly recommend using this option.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_6602.png  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_6603.png  

raunak117 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 22:49   #5078
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Goa/Bangalore
Posts: 97
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Recommended route is option 2.

North Goa - Mollem - Anmod Check Post - Left turn towards Hemmadaga - Take right turn after 4th Bridge (Usually no mobile network once you are on Hemmadaga route and high chances of Gmaps not responding) - Tinai Ghat - Ramnagar - Dharwad bypass - Bangalore
I travelled this route today, take note that this diversion road has been taken up for repairs and is fully laden with gravel for quite a distance when coming from Anmod checkpost side, and some part was scrapped. Got stuck at a point for almost 20minutes in the morning as the road was completely blocked with heaps of gravel which was later cleared.
diogo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 10:12   #5079
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
I travelled this route today, take note that this diversion road has been taken up for repairs and is fully laden with gravel for quite a distance when coming from Anmod checkpost side, and some part was scrapped. Got stuck at a point for almost 20minutes in the morning as the road was completely blocked with heaps of gravel which was later cleared.
+1 I reached this place at around 1pm yesterday and the road was closed. I had to then take the Khanapur route which slowed me down a lot. Will recommend everyone taking the Karwar route (even if that is longer from North Goa) till this is sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-screenshot-20210207-10.09.55-am.png  

raunak117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:03   #5080
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Took a trip to Goa end of Jan 2021 with my wife and my dog. We were traveling to north Goa, so took the Bangalore - Davangere - left at Dharwad - Alnavar - Gharli - Panaji- Ashwem route based on some advice by few friends and something I had read online. Worst mistake of my life. from Gharli, there is absolutely no road. Ive never driven on such a bad road. Unfortunately, I had taken my VRS, which had the worst time on these roads. After traveling on these roads for a good 1 hour covering around 10 KMS max, the road just ends with no more road to go. If only someone had put some indication much before, all the vehicles could've avoided going on these bad roads itself. Then had to go back to Londa - Khanapur - Belgaum route. The complete journey took about 13.5 hours with maybe an hour of stopping overall. Worst journey ever.

Return back, I came from south Goa, which was such an amazing drive (Via Karwar). VRS felt at ease on these roads. Would highly suggest everyone going to north Goa as well to go via South and then head north.
sachinjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 08:17   #5081
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

We came back last Wednesday from North Goa. We travelled via the route of Goa -> Karwar (breakfast) -> Haveri (lunch) -> Davangere -> Bangalore and it was fantastic. It took us 12.5 hours from north goa including 2 breaks (1.5 to 2 hours).

The 60 odd km stretch on state highway from Haveri towards Davangere is a single lane road, but it is tarred and maintained well, so yes, occasionally you get pushed off the road, but the scenic drive more than makes up for the minor inconvenience.
thejaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 09:34   #5082
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,957
Thanked: 11,037 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
We came back last Wednesday from North Goa. We travelled via the route of Goa -> Karwar (breakfast) -> Haveri (lunch) -> Davangere -> Bangalore and it was fantastic. It took us 12.5 hours from north goa including 2 breaks (1.5 to 2 hours).
What was the Karwar-Haveri route you took which was state highway? Did you mean Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur?
ampere is offline  
Old 14th February 2021, 12:11   #5083
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What was the Karwar-Haveri route you took which was state highway? Did you mean Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur?
yes, this was the route we took. I think it was state highway 6.
thejaguar is offline  
Old 16th February 2021, 10:03   #5084
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Did Bangalore to Goa last Thu (11th Feb). Started by 1 PM and reached Madgaon by 11:30 PM.

Route: Bangalore -> Davangere -> Haveri -> Mundgod -> Yellapur -> Karwar -> Madgaon

Road upto Bankapur Toll was a breeze with only about 5-6 Diversions (also in decent shape). It is high time to update the Bangalore-Tumkur stretch to 6 lane, as you lose a lot of time to traffic in this stretch. There is a really short bumpy stretch after exiting the NH after Bankapur Toll, but nothing to worry about. Road after Yellapur also in very good condition. Overall I guess this is the best route to South Goa currently.
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:58   #5085
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 768 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

How is the tourist crowd in Goa now? Is there any ePass needed?
m8002? is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks