Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 11:16   #5086
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
It is high time to update the Bangalore-Tumkur stretch to 6 lane, as you lose a lot of time to traffic in this stretch.
We can keep dreaming about it because there are other projects like the Dabaspet Devahanalli that have got more momentum now due to the recent push that it is unlikely that we will see Tumkur - Nelamangala getting better anytime soon.

And it is so true that this is one irritating stretch that you hate to drive, especially when you are returning.

Hence, I have made it a practice now and it has worked out really well. For instance, in Dec, on a Sunday evening, I exited this highway at Sira itself and then reached home (North Bangalore) via Madhugiri Tondebaavi Doddaballapura in under 1 hour and 45 minutes and same distance (120 Km). I exited the NH around 7PM on a Sunday evening and it was such a peaceful drive all the way home.

Similarly, just 3 weeks back when I was driving back from Aurangabad with my parents, it was a Saturday and traffic started to get thick after JAS Khyatasandra that I decided to exit at Nelamangala towards Hesarghatta and reached home. This was at 4:30 PM on a Saturday.

Last Sunday when driving down from Hampi, I exited the highway at Dabaspet and reached home via Doddaballapura, and it was around 4:30 when I got off the GQ.

South Bangalore crowd may not have many choices to escape this except may be Dabaspet Shivagange Gudemaranahalli and then reach NICE via Magadi but it really depends on how bad the traffic is and whether the detour is absolutely necessary. In fact, those staying between Hebbal and Whitefield can still consider taking Dabaspet - Doddaballapura - Yelahanka - Hebbal - ORR route to reach their destinations. It helps save quite some time on that weekend evening for sure. I have tried and tested many times now.

From my timeline of last 2 months. You can see that I have always opted for a detour to reach home peacefully :

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-chitradurgablr.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th February 2021 at 11:32.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:19   #5087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
How is the tourist crowd in Goa now? Is there any ePass needed?
Forget ePass, no need for masks or social distancing going by what I've been seeing for the past 4 months! Neither the tourists nor the locals seem to worry about covid anymore. Maybe the more expensive resorts and hotels will have some protocols in place, but outside it's a free for all, so be aware of that when making plans.

South Goa tourist crowd is sparse on weekdays, gets crowded on weekends. Mainly Bangalore and Pune vehicles, feels like home on weekends here! North Goa is the usual mess that it is around this time of the season, more or less.

Hopefully will thin down as the heat starts next month.

Last edited by am1m : 16th February 2021 at 11:20.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 07:11   #5088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Did Bangalore to Goa last Thu (11th Feb). Started by 1 PM and reached Madgaon by 11:30 PM.

Route: Bangalore -> Davangere -> Haveri -> Mundgod -> Yellapur -> Karwar -> Madgaon

Road upto Bankapur Toll was a breeze with only about 5-6 Diversions (also in decent shape). It is high time to update the Bangalore-Tumkur stretch to 6 lane, as you lose a lot of time to traffic in this stretch. There is a really short bumpy stretch after exiting the NH after Bankapur Toll, but nothing to worry about. Road after Yellapur also in very good condition. Overall I guess this is the best route to South Goa currently.
I came back from Goa to Bangalore last night(18-Feb) and Agree the above route to be the better one. Tried via Maharastra border and the Khanapur route. Both are in very bad shape. Even to North Goa, I would suggest taking this route. A very small stretch before Bankapur toll I guess was a single lane.

There are large number of tourists and looks almost pre-covid state condition.
sunsivj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 13:11   #5089

Thank you Fellow BHPians for all the travel thread. This has been my go-to site before my road trip.

Did Bangalore - Udupi - Goa - Bangalore recently ( returned on 20th Feb)

Onward Route - Bangalore to Udupi ( Via Shiradi - Avoided Charmadi for all the winding)

The four-lane work is in progress for eons from Shakleshpur to BC road. Post the ghat section till about Kalladka the roads is under construction and isn't fun to drive. Left Bangalore at 7 am and reached Udupi at 2:00 PM ( 1 BioBreak)

After our brief stay with our parents headed to Goa ( left around 9:00 AM and reached Anjuna before 3:00 PM non-stop)

Return Goa ( South Varca) - Karwar - Hegagar - Yellapur Junction - ( Was in a dilemma to continue on SH 52 or diversion to SH 6) - Heggapur - Mundgod - Bankapura - Davanagere(NH 48) - Bangalore

Left Club Mahindra at 8:00 AM and stopped for Air on the way for Breakfast at Karwar ( Udupi Cafe - Don't miss the diversion. Google doest prompt this. Had to take a U-Turn) . Hit the road again after a Break. The Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur road isn't bad, but as fellow BHPians mentioned in this thread, it is a narrow road with an uneven surface. Your speed will be limited, though the Scenery (including a Tibetian monestry) makes up for this. Saving 30 mins was tempting and the feedback on the road wasn't bad either. Lunch was at Davangere ( Benne Dosa and Pizza for the little one). Left Davangere at around 4:00PM and reached Yeshwantpur at 8:00 PM. The highway was a breeze, though the under construction Flyovers with ill-placed speed breakers & diversions had to be contended with. Post, Tumkur the traffic crawls and considering it narrows to 4 lanes and the weekend rush.

Fuel stops -

Bangalore ( Shell Rajkumar Road)
Udupi ( Amunje - Always fill here whenever I am in Udupi. Its MRPL on the port Road if I am in Mangalore)
Goa ( Indian Oil Petrol Pump - Miramar - Travelled specifically for this as the reviews were decent) - Couldn't fill the air as it was dysfunctional

Also, ensure you have your PUC certificate renewed. Heard cops have been pulling up vehicles for this alone. The RC/DL/ Fitness is extended to 31st March and I had to get my PUC from Udupi ( one near Kinnimulky, next to the Durgamba Booking office), which was, fortunately, open till 9:30. Usually, the emission outlets close at 6:00 PM even in Bangalore.

Car: Honda City Diesel (2015)

Hack: What works for me is a rolled towel ( Turkish) behind my lower back and Redbull (Max 1 ) if I am driving after lunch.
SilverSurferHC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:06   #5090
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We can keep dreaming about it because there are other projects like the Dabaspet Devahanalli that have got more momentum now due to the recent push that it is unlikely that we will see Tumkur - Nelamangala getting better anytime soon.

And it is so true that this is one irritating stretch that you hate to drive, especially when you are returning.

Hence, I have made it a practice now and it has worked out really well. For instance, in Dec, on a Sunday evening, I exited this highway at Sira itself and then reached home (North Bangalore) via Madhugiri Tondebaavi Doddaballapura in under 1 hour and 45 minutes and same distance (120 Km). I exited the NH around 7PM on a Sunday evening and it was such a peaceful drive all the way home.

In fact, those staying between Hebbal and Whitefield can still consider taking Dabaspet - Doddaballapura - Yelahanka - Hebbal - ORR route to reach their destinations. It helps save quite some time on that weekend evening for sure. I have tried and tested many times now.

From my timeline of last 2 months. You can see that I have always opted for a detour to reach home peacefully :
I have taken the Devanahalli-Dabaspet route many a times from Hebbal to bypass Nelamangala completely and it is a great route to take especially if you make too a late start due to oversleeping and want to avoid the rush hour traffic via Yelhanka... However night-time return trip from Goa is a horror story - this stretch is completely unlit for more than 30mins of driving and it is a single lane two-way road with on-coming traffic. If the oncoming headlights from opposite side don't scare you the prospect of bandits waylaying you is downright scary. Nobody for miles forward and rear in pitch black conditions so much so that I lose confidence in my headlights which we typically expect to perform better in total darkness - no reflectors on the road to guide your vision either. I don't know the situation now but both the years in 2019-2020 it was nerve-wracking. The road was under repairs for two years until Feb 2020 and I don't know if the overhead street lighting and road markers are in place by now.

How is the road from Hebbal to Doddaballapura to drive in the daytime? I have been preferring to hit the 4-lane highway via Devanahalli for stress-free driving experience even if takes an extra 30mins.

I noticed the fork from Sira on previous trips and was tempted at the last-minute but because I was traveling at high speed I just sped on the original route plan. This time I intend to take that on the return path.

That said - I am planning a Goa trip in early March and I am wondering if the Karnataka borders are going to be sealed when returning because people from MH could come via the Goa route?

Another equally important issue for me - if I take the route from Hebbal via Doddaballarpur-Madhugiri to Sira on the way to Goa - will I see a Coffee shop on the way? I usually stop at a CCD after Nelamangala stretch on the way out to get my fix before I hit the next CCD by afternoon - thats a long gap and I need a Cappucino in a relaxed modern sit-out atmosphere to soak in the start of my vacation feeling.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd February 2021 at 17:25.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:13   #5091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
However night-time return trip from Goa is a horror story - this stretch is completely unlit for more than 30mins of driving and it is a single lane two-way road with on-coming traffic.
Makes absolutely no sense to take this post 10PM. However, before that one can always take this and is a lot more peaceful.

My last one was only a week before and the Dabaspet Doddaballapura sections have been neatly patched with zero potholes that one needs to worry about. I even got stuck at the railway crossing but still I was delayed by only 3 minutes in the end.

Regarding driving on single carriageway roads at night with the glare of oncoming vehicles, well that is exactly how the roads were before and many of us including self has learnt driving from. Personally to me, it will not matter much.

The Sira option is wide, well marked but not well lit. But remember that there is still a small section (about 5 Kms) that is bad from Byrenahalli fork after Madhugiri. So that is a warning in case you want to attempt that with artificial lights.

Quote:
Another equally important issue for me - if I take the route from Hebbal via Doddaballarpur-Madhugiri to Sira on the way to Goa - will I see a Coffee shop on the way?
Not at all, except the few Darshinis when crossing Doddaballapur town. The roads after this via Tondebavi - ACC factory all the way to Sira have no real break-points really.

To answer your previous question - Yelahanka to Doddaballapura is a fully done 4 lane and tolled SH.

And before I forget, the updates that I am responding with are as fresh as one week before. So you can pretty much trust the source of information there!

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd February 2021 at 17:32.
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:45   #5092
BANNED

Quote:
And before I forget, the updates that I am responding with are as fresh as one week before. So you can pretty much trust the source of information there!
Thank You. while reviewing the map just now, I actually realized the thrill is gone due to repeating the same route over and over. So I've decided to take an extra day with overnight halt at Chickamagluru and hit the coastline from Honnavar the next day to Palolem.

Q1.) How is this route below beyond Nelamangala town till Karwar?
Q2.) Is skipping Nelamangala to Traverse Hebbal - Doddaballapura - Tumkuru - Chikmagalur worthwhile?
Q3) Any recommendations for a pet friendly resort like place to stay in Chikmagalur where my doggo will be allowed in the room?

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2021, 18:31   #5093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I've decided to take an extra day with overnight halt at Chickamagluru and hit the coastline from Honnavar the next day to Palolem.
A simple "pet friendly homestay" search on google maps should give you a lot of options. The route to Chikkamagluru(CKM) is straight forward and you dont need to go via tumkur. Roads all the way to Palolem via Shimoga - Karwar are good.

The other option would be to stay around Shimoga/Sagara and explore around there. Sharing a list that I had put together for a friend

Jog Falls - List of interesting places enroute
Assuming you take: Hiriyur - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Shimoga - Jog

My preferred pit stops
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:48   #5094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I've decided to take an extra day with overnight halt at Chickamagluru and hit the coastline from Honnavar the next day to Palolem.
If I were you, I would instead do Chikkamagaluru Agumbe Baindur Honnavara Ankola Karwar and hit Palolem. The 4 lane road after expansion is bliss, except crossing Bhatkal and few sections where its still undone.
Quote:
Q1.) How is this route below beyond Nelamangala town till Karwar?
Remains good via Shimoga and beyond.

Quote:
Q2.) Is skipping Nelamangala to Traverse Hebbal - Doddaballapura - Tumkuru - Chikmagalur worthwhile?
Really depends on the time of the day you intend to do Hebbal Nelamangala. And for Chikmagalur, it is really not worth to hit Tumkur and the preferred route should still be via Kunigal - Hassan. It is faster and more peaceful.

Quote:
Q3) Any recommendations for a pet friendly resort like place to stay in Chikmagalur where my doggo will be allowed in the room?
Best is to check out Homestays around here. Many owners/caretakers do oblige and allow pets (Including high end resorts). Usual hotels may not really allow pets but homestays will.
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:53   #5095
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
A simple "pet friendly homestay" search on google maps should give you a lot of options. The route to Chikkamagluru(CKM) is straight forward and you dont need to go via tumkur. Roads all the way to Palolem via Shimoga - Karwar are good.
Thank you for the list - thats a great help! I did lookup AirBnB just wanted some recommendations from forum members based upon their personal experiences. Reason being that many years back when I called resorts in this area to double-check about pet friendly rules one of them said the pet has to be in a cage overnight and not allowed into the room. I was aghast as my baby has lived a completely untethered life and sleeps in my bed on his special bedsheet if not cuddling me. Another example of twisted "pet friendly" interpretation was that "oh no we have our own pets that we mean by per friendly - other pets are not allowed". It seems people are advertising "pet-friendly" only to show up in search results!

Thanks again for sharing the list - I will peruse them at leisure and prioritize so that we can make some good sight-seeing stops on the way to Palolem the next day and still reach by 7pm.

Cheers

Quote:
If I were you, I would instead do Chikkamagaluru Agumbe Baindur Honnavara Ankola Karwar and hit Palolem. The 4 lane road after expansion is bliss, except crossing Bhatkal and few sections where its still undone.
Remains good via Shimoga and beyond.

Really depends on the time of the day you intend to do Hebbal Nelamangala. And for Chikmagalur, it is really not worth to hit Tumkur and the preferred route should still be via Kunigal - Hassan. It is faster and more peaceful.
I am in a Gypsy and hoping to hit some forest trails (not to be confuse with plain bad potholed roads) in the green patch on the map - I am not particularly keen on 4-lane highways all the way but looking for adventure along the way. Any recommendations based on this?

I do vacation in Goa every year for the sake of my Pet alone. Will check AirBnB options besides the ones posted above.

Edit: Looking at the Agumbe-Baindur route - it seems to skip Sharavati Valley Wildlife Sanctuary and I think there may be some interesting stuff there for a stop and go trip... I can stretch one more night here if it is really worthwhile to hit Palolem the third day ...

Cheers

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd February 2021 at 19:10. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:02   #5096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a Gypsy and hoping to hit some forest trails (not to be confuse with plain bad potholed roads) in the green patch on the map - I am not particularly keen on 4-lane highways all the way but looking for adventure along the way. Any recommendations based on this?
What procrj quoted makes perfect sense in that case. Via Chikmagalur Shimoga Sagara works best in that case. A typical green corridor with good roads all the way.
Old 22nd February 2021, 19:13   #5097
BANNED

Quote:
What procrj quoted makes perfect sense in that case. Via Chikmagalur Shimoga Sagara works best in that case. A typical green corridor with good roads all the way.
ok How about this route then? I am looking for mountain roads heavily wooded forest ghat driving with sight-seeing stops on the way. I can cover Bhadra on the first day I reach Chikmagulur and Jog/Sharavati the next day - question is should I spend one more day at Sharavati or head straight to Palolem? Still to research online but just wanted recommendations to keep in mind as I research over the next few days.

Thank You and Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd February 2021 at 19:15.
Old 1st March 2021, 00:26   #5098
BHPian

Folks,

It appears that karwar route is the most preferred choice here. However, i would be travelling from a different direction. Which is best alternative from HUBLI to GOA.
Old 1st March 2021, 07:02   #5099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That said - I am planning a Goa trip in early March and I am wondering if the Karnataka borders are going to be sealed when returning because people from MH could come via the Goa route?

Another equally important issue for me - if I take the route from Hebbal via Doddaballarpur-Madhugiri to Sira on the way to Goa - will I see a Coffee shop on the way? I usually stop at a CCD after Nelamangala stretch on the way out to get my fix before I hit the next CCD by afternoon - thats a long gap and I need a Cappucino in a relaxed modern sit-out atmosphere to soak in the start of my vacation feeling.

Having seen the discussions beyond your post, even if you were to take the route you mentioned:

Firstly you need to be on the lookout for the exit at Thondebhavi. This route from Thondebhavi goes past the ACC plant. So you will see some trucks for some distance. Its not too bad. Secondly the section marked on this route can be a suspect. Its good and bad in parts.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tet.jpg

And lastly there is a CCD (well.. there used to one!) after Sira bypass exit on the 4-lane. So I guess you should be able to intercept this CCD.
(location)

Last edited by ampere : 1st March 2021 at 07:03.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 08:23   #5100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Secondly the section marked on this route can be a suspect. Its good and bad in parts.
The road is still the same. It super good soon after the factory, gets a beautiful fresh layer after that but is patchy and broken till you join Sira Madhugiri road, for around 3-4 Kms.

Quote:
And lastly there is a CCD (well.. there used to one!) after Sira bypass exit on the 4-lane. So I guess you should be able to intercept this CCD.
At first I was delighted about a new CCD on this barren Doddaballapura Madhugiri Sira stretch till I read Sira .

The CCD still exists, at least as of 2 weeks before while we have seen quite a few shutting shop along the highways. The CCD is also covered with a lot of trucks around it that its often not easy to locate unless you are navigating through maps.

Best is to remain on service road when you are about to exit onto the GQ after Sira bypass ends and continue driving on the service road for 4 Km.

Also, travelers in search of cleaner rest rooms and Shell aficionados can stop very soon after Sira bypass at this Shell station too.

Most Viewed