Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 15:21   #5041
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
the Bankakur - Yelapur stretch is irritating as the road is extremely narrow, you need to take the left wheel off the road to even let a car pass in opposite direction (we encountered a few trucks and 1-2 buses too) and there were a few dozen unmarked/poorly marked speed breakers
For how long was his bad stretch in terms of kms

Last edited by ampere : 8th January 2021 at 20:03.
Old 9th January 2021, 19:53   #5042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Around 60-70 kms, but it wont be irritant if you know how to drive in single lane road. Overtaking sometime you have to get down off the road and overtake. Will be helpful if its SUV. 10 years back it was much narrower and almost no road toward the end with no vehicles on road, now we have good traffic. Good thing is its mostly car traffic, i did not get any truck or lorry luckily.

This is where some of the villages are Blacks, it seems they escaped from slave ship from Africa and settled here in deep forest.

Last edited by shamanth : 9th January 2021 at 19:59.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 20:27   #5043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Around 60-70 kms, but it wont be irritant if you know how to drive in single lane road. Overtaking sometime you have to get down off the road and overtake. Will be helpful if its SUV.
I had taken this route (Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur) once and did not like it. I would prefer Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Tadas - Bankapur instead. While distance is about 25 kms more, driving time was comparable.

Last edited by airbus : 9th January 2021 at 20:28.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 10:11   #5044
BHPian

Hi folks,

I did a Bengaluru-Goa trip this week. I will post detail later but wanted to make a comment here urgently. On return journey on Friday evening, we stopped at Kamath upchar Sira. I, my wife and my five year old son all got food poisoning. My son vomitted for 6-7 hours starting around after an hour of having food there. Me and wife fortunately could hold the vomit till we reached home in Bengaluru after a couple of hours.

This might be an one off instance but I would strongly advise to avoid this restaurant. We all are recovered now. My 1 year old daughter did not eat anything there, so she turned out to be lucky.

The trip was wonderful otherwise and this forum had been immensely helpful making it so.
sushantk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 11:16   #5045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantk View Post
This might be an one off instance but I would strongly advise to avoid this restaurant.
Yes, Quality in Kamath is not good for quiet sometime, i therefore avoid as much as possible. On my Goa trip, Between Haveri and Ranibennur i found a lovely veg resturant/Dabha, Katewadi Hotel, which seem to be local favorite with lot of review. Even though Kamath was on the way and stopped at Kamath, then looked for google for reviews and went for Katewadi Hotel, took a u-turn and had lunch here, was wonderful. Good for Roti, curries, jeera rice, etc.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/shqDf9VgxxTDs7Yu6

Last edited by shamanth : 10th January 2021 at 11:23.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:28   #5046
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of food, on my recent drive to Goa in November, I stopped at Mysore Cafe, just beyond Chitradurga. Very tasty food, clean as well.Perfect driving distance too around 200 kms for a break.

Hotel Mysore Cafe
n h 4 seebara, near S Nijalingappa Memorial, Chitradurga, Karnataka 577501
099018 20389
https://goo.gl/maps/eSKiSSaT5E8T17V5A
Old 10th January 2021, 20:43   #5047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I had taken this route (Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur) once and did not like it. I would prefer Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Tadas - Bankapur instead. While distance is about 25 kms more, driving time was comparable.
Thanks.could you post this diversion Google link if possible.i am traveling from Bangalore towards Goa.
Old 10th January 2021, 20:55   #5048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
could you post this diversion Google link if possible.i am traveling from Bangalore towards Goa.
At Bankapur toll you can search for route to Yellapur and you will get this route option.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-.png  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 23:30   #5049
BHPian

Quote:
About 70 kms, apologies for the delayed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Completely agree; i took this route on the way back and was a lot more pleasant

Quote:
Thanks.could you post this diversion Google link if possible.i am traveling from Bangalore towards Goa.
While this has been posted on this page, I had also given this on post 5023 on this thread; i took the Mundgod route for onward and the Tadas route for return.
aroonanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 09:46   #5050
BHPian

A comment encapsulating all the inputs above on Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur route. Please know that route is scenic but extremely irritating due to the half-lane nature and innumerable speed breakers. When traffic comes from opposite direction, one of you should go off road and who decides what is left to either of you till the last second. Believe me, you wont like this, especially when you dont have an SUV. If you are pushed off the road by some selfish guy, you will feel bad. When I drove last time, a NW-KSRTC bus (Govt of Karnataka bus) didnt even acknowledge my presence on the road and came bearing down on me from the opposite direction at the max speed possibile, and made me go off the road in a worst way possible. If you are ready to subject yourself to all these indignities and risks, plesae go ahead. Sedan drivers, family people, general and regular travelers, please stick to standard Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar route. Know that you are risking tyre side wall damage at all points of time while on the narrow sections.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:14   #5051
BHPian

I am driving to Goa this Wednesday as a solo traveler. The suggestion of Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur is what I contemplate on routing via.

Is there any other suggestion I should take into consideration ? I am heading to Northen part of Goa hence would this route deviate me further from the destination or it wont make any difference?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th January 2021, 17:16   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
I am driving to Goa this Wednesday as a solo traveler. The suggestion of Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur is what I contemplate on routing via.

Is there any other suggestion I should take into consideration ? I am heading to Northen part of Goa hence would this route deviate me further from the destination or it wont make any difference?

Thanks in advance
See my post just above. I have clearly articulated the Bankapur-Yellapur driving experiences and about things you can expect. You have an embarassment of riches in terms of list of cars you can pick for your drive (which I suppose from your signature!). An SUV is your best bet. Solo travel is amazing. Enjoy your drive peacefully from Tumkur-CD-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa-North Goa. Wont make much of a difference if you take the Anmod ghat route, as Tinai ghat construction or deviation may put spanner in your best laid plans. You can always drive that extra KMs with some music on. My 2 local currency.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 18:16   #5053
BHPian

I did my first Bangalore to Goa trip last week with four family members including me.

Onward Journey (Jan 3rd, Sunday):
1> Took the route Bangalore - Chitradurga - Davangere - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar- Goa. The stretch from Bankapur to Yellapur is single lane and have some "difficult to anticipate" speed bumps in the passing villages. As someone had mentioned you need to bring your left wheels down to the footpath multiple times. The quality of roads are otherwise good.

2> Left Bangalore Whitefield at 5:40 AM and reached South Goa at 18:40. Had a 1.5 hrs stop at Apoorva resorts, Davangere. This is good restaurant to stop with clean bathrooms. I will highly recommend this.

3> Stayed in south Goa for 4 nights, all at the same place. Visited Colva beach and betalbatim beach (walking distance) multiple times. Also, roamed around north Goa for a day while covering Aguada fort.

Return Journey(Jan 7th, 8th):
1> Route taken Goa- Jog fall - Shimoga- Chitradurga-Bengaluru with overnight stay in Shimoga.

2> Started from Goa around 12 after breakefast an reached jog falls at around 5 PM. Jog fall was good to see. The stairs that goes down the base of fall is open till 3PM only. So just had a look at the fall, took pictures , and had maggi :-).

3> Stayed over night at Harsha the fern, Shimoga, I had spoken to the hotel while on the way from Goa to Jog and was promised a good deal on arrival. The hotel is really good with nice breakfast. I would recommend this for sure.
[ I had tried to speak to royal orchid too , they said they will get back and but they didn't].

The road till Jog fall from Goa are all very scenic and curvy at the mountains. If you love driving in nature, this is the place to be.

4> Started from Shimoga around 12 PM and reached Bengaluru around 9:30 PM. The road from Shimoga to Chitradurga is a bit broken in the beginning but nothing alarming. We visited Chitradurga fort on the way. The city road to reach the fort was very crowded ( I guess some kind of Friday Market may be). The open road side parking at the fort are very limited. I am sure it would be difficult to find a spot during the weekend. The fort per se was good and is a must visit.

5> We had a unfortunate incident of food poisoning (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries). It's only luck that it happened at very close of the end of the trip.

Some photos ...

Break at Apoorva resort/restaurant during the onward journey

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ar1.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ar2.jpg

The trip meter at the end of the onward journey...

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ont.jpg

and here is Goa..

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tbe.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tbe1.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tbe2.jpg

Return Journey...

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-jf.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-chf.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-chf2.jpg

and the final trip meter...

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-totalt.jpg
sushantk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:17   #5054

Did Goa-Bangalore on 25th December 2020

Route - Panjim-Mollem-Anmod-Hubli-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Bangalore

Started from Panjim - 10.15 AM
Took a break at Mangueshi Temple & started back - 11.15 AM
Crossed Hubli - 3 PM
Lunch Break at Kamat Upachar Chabbi - 30 mins
Crossed Davangere - 6 PM
Dinner Break at Sarvodaya Veg Doddasiddavvannahalli - 50 mins
Coffee break at Pavithra Idli Hotel - 15 mins
Reached Bangalore - 11.45 PM

Anmod ghat has about 1-2 km of really bad stretches. Thankfully with 190 mm GC (Ford Freestyle) didn't scrape the underbody anywhere. Other than the bad stretch, roads were good throughout. Some diversions between Chitradurga & Davangere but manageable.
Old 11th January 2021, 21:58   #5055
Senior - BHPian

My trip to Goa and Back. Trip of 1333.3 kms

Blr-Hassan-JogFalls-Palolem, with Stay in Hassan and Jog

Palolem-Ankola-Yellapura-Mundgod-Bankapura-Blr
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20210107-11.11.41-am.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks