Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 22:24   #5011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Rajiv - The # of diversions onward to Hubli is very less and you can easily do good speeds. Many road sections and fly overs are opened. Its the other way that is still a bit of a pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I drove to Hubli and back last weekend and the noticed that the diversions have reduced significantly and the stretches that are completed are excellent that you will easily make up for any lost time.
This is very much tempting. I will take Anmod route while coming back. Just wanted to check the Honnavar route this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
I drove on this road two weeks back and I am driving again on 28th of this month.
It has been a decade that I have not driven on this road. Will take this road while going. How is the road between Chitradurga and Shimoga?
Old 22nd December 2020, 22:38   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
This is very much tempting. I will take Anmod route while coming back. Just wanted to check the Honnavar route this time.

It has been a decade that I have not driven on this road. Will take this road while going. How is the road between Chitradurga and Shimoga?

Chitradurga to Shimoga is very good except for the last ~15-20km just before Shimoga. It is not bad though. But narrow and a bit of broken road.

Other than this 15-20km, rest of the road is very good. But watch out for speed breakers when nearing some villages.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:33   #5013
BHPian

Quote:
Starting for south Goa on 25th early morning and plan is to take above road to-fro to avoid the treacherous 27 diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli.
Actually this is a general update on the driving conditions and I am also responding to the oddly specific number of diversions mentioned above.

After reading the posts 10's of times, I was a bit nervous about the drive between Chitradurga and Hubli. I started on 20th morning and since I was apprehensive of the 27+ diversions I decided to take a break at Hubli and proceed the next day to south Goa (Varca). But the road conditions turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The diversions are very few (less than 7) and they are easily manageable. I had a fully loaded low GC car, but even then I could easily manage the diversions without issues. Please dont be concerned about road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli. I would not have broken my journey if I knew this was the condition, but I am not complaining.

If you have a high GC vehicle, then this is almost an Autobahn (with Indian style surprises). Please dont overspeed.

Hubli-Kalghatgi is motorable, but less said the better. Its chaotic, messy and represents worst of Indian road talents.

The road significantly improves after Kalghatgi and till Karwar its a breeze, barring some bad conditions in Arabail ghat, but the ghat section gets over even before you realize it.

Now and then, some 4 lane roads exist between Karwar and Goa border. Again, good drivers can consistently maintain high speeds. Roads are ok in Goa but with 100's of speed breakers + cows + convoys. Please drive slowly.

If you have specific questions, please ask.
bsdbsd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:24   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Actually this is a general update on the driving conditions and I am also responding to the oddly specific number of diversions mentioned above.

After reading the posts 10's of times, I was a bit nervous about the drive between Chitradurga and Hubli. I started on 20th morning and since I was apprehensive of the 27+ diversions I decided to take a break at Hubli and proceed the next day to south Goa (Varca). But the road conditions turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The diversions are very few (less than 7) and they are easily manageable. I had a fully loaded low GC car, but even then I could easily manage the diversions without issues. Please dont be concerned about road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli. I would not have broken my journey if I knew this was the condition, but I am not complaining.
This is an encouraging information. Last year I had been through that nightmare in October. During my trip to Dandeli, I was delayed by 1.5 hours only because of the diversions and that time I had indeed counted them. But less than 7 is an amazing improvement. As mentioned I will definitely take Anmod route once to enjoy this new road and willing to check Shimoga route as well. Now I will take Anmod while going and if things are great will think over same route while returning or whatever. Anmod was my usual route all the times over last decade before the widening and white topping work started in ghat section.
Old 24th December 2020, 11:02   #5015
BHPian

Quote:
But the road conditions turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The diversions are very few (less than 7) and they are easily manageable. I had a fully loaded low GC car, but even then I could easily manage the diversions without issues. Please dont be concerned about road conditions between Chitradurga and Hubli.
Thank You for the clarification, helps with my decision for the drive on Saturday. I too have planned a break at Hubli but will let it be for now.

I was contemplating if I should take the Shimoga route for return especially from Palolem but it looks like it would still make sense to stick to the NH route. Can someone please opine?
Old 24th December 2020, 11:04   #5016
NAK

Quote:
This is very helpful info. Without a stopover, how long do you think it will take if we drive on this route? I am planning to start on 27th morning and heading to Varca. Thanks

Mod Note : Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th December 2020 at 16:57. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 24th December 2020, 18:58   #5017
BHPian

Quote:
This is an encouraging information. ...But less than 7 is an amazing improvement.
It could be 8! I may be off by a couple, but you get the idea. Absolutely Manageable. Please let me know if I can take Anmod route from Varca. I read about the diversion at Tinai Ghat and I am a bit apprehensive of the same. The known route of karwar gives me comfort, but I look forward to your guidance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
I was contemplating if I should take the Shimoga route for return especially from Palolem but it looks like it would still make sense to stick to the NH route. Can someone please opine?
I am taking the NH back to Bangalore, as I know the route conditions first hand. Shivamogga route could be longer as well. HOpefully someone else will pitch with their inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
This is very helpful info. Without a stopover, how long do you think it will take if we drive on this route? I am planning to start on 27th morning and heading to Varca. Thanks
Sorry to sound obvious, but it depends on the average speed you can maintain. Since I wont exceed 80-90kmph, my average speed is only 50kmph. Not sure what kind of car you have (high GC or low GC).

Assuming low GC, sedate driving:
Bangalore-Chitradurga: 3.5-4 hours.
Chitradurga-Hubli: 4-5 hours.
Hubli-Varca: 4-5 hours.

High GC with propsentity to maintain high speeds can do it in 10-12 hours.
If you leave Bangalore at 6AM, definitetly you will reach Varca by 6PM (or earlier).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 16:43   #5018
BHPian

We drove Bangalore to Agonda in South Goa on 24th December, started 6.00 am from north Bangalore and reached Agonda at about 5.30pm - this included a 45 minutes breakfast stop at Mysore cafe, outside Chitradurga. A 1 hour lunch break at Shanbhag Yellapur and about 1.5 hours whiled away in Mundgod Tibetan camp which is unfortunately closed due to covid.

Around 10 hours drive time I would say. I drove a low GC e-class. I think it scraped bottom once or twice.

The route we took was Bangalore - Chitradurga - Davangere - Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola - Goa through arabail ghat. The route is all fine but with following:
1. Although lesser, diversions between Chitradurga and Davangere are still a pain. Watch out for the regular cop interceptors in this sector and don't speed.
2. The road at the start of Bankapur isn't great.
3. Till Yellapur is narrow barely two lane roads, so you need to slow down for incoming traffic to pass.
4. Wear a mask in the car when you enter into Goa at the border and in Canacona, multiple checkings to fine for not wearing masks.

At the moment, we intend to take the same route back. Our friends drove the Shimoga Kumta route and said roads are all good.

Goa is beautiful and relaxed as always
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-20201226_175528.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20201226_115632_976.jpg  

anand_saraf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:30   #5019
Senior - BHPian

How is the four laning status between Yellapur and Ankola.
Any updates?
Old 28th December 2020, 11:23   #5020
BHPian

I will be driving down to Goa from Bangalore on 23rd and returning on 27th Jan. I am travelling with my wife, 6 year old kid and a dog. Will either be heading to Candolim or Utorda (Depending upon the stay option). Will be driving in my Harrier AT. I wanted guidance of the experienced folks on the following queries:

1. Blr-Chitradurga-Davangere-Haveri portion will be common irrespective of the final destination. As of now gmaps show Mundgod-Karwar route to be the shortest if heading to Utorda. Is that fine or better to take the Dharwad-Mollem route?

2. I am contemplating whether to do it in a single stretch (which may take 11-12 hrs) or halt somewhere midway. Are there any pet friendly hotels on the way if we want to halt?
Old 28th December 2020, 14:41   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It could be 8! I may be off by a couple, but you get the idea. Absolutely Manageable. Please let me know if I can take Anmod route from Varca. I read about the diversion at Tinai Ghat and I am a bit apprehensive of the same. The known route of karwar gives me comfort, but I look forward to your guidance here.
I am currently at home in south Goa. I took Anmod route and here are the details.

I started with wife and kid at 6.45AM on 25th Dec, took NICE road via Electronic City. Due to Corona fear we just had packed our food, both Breakfast and lunch. For BF we stopped some 1 hour before Chitradurga in an open parking area of a roadside hotel, far away from any human presence and then continued all the way until Dharwad and took the usual Goa road exit from the two lane highway between Hubli and Dharwad. Point to mention here, there are still 17 diversions now to be exact but pretty fast except two of them where the road was badly broken. All depends on how many heavy trucks are with you on the diversion. If no truck with you it is OK, else be patient . As per my calculation it added about 1 hour in total driving time. I do not exceed 100kmph and based on that this was made.

For lunch we stopped on the Goa road exit just after paying the 55 rupees toll. Reached my destination, Quepem at 6.30PM.

Now the Anmod route data. The road until Tinai ghat is amazing except for the railway crossing areas. Make sure you do not miss the right turn after the Tinai Ghat station. This diversion is not easily visible since it is an extreme right turn with broken soil section to start with. This road is OKish, and narrow. You get another railway crossing here. There are indeed some deep trenches and you need to be extra careful with low GC cars. Mine is Tiago NRG with 180mm GC and not a single touch on its belly. But one Ameo behind me was struggling in each of these deep areas.

This road hits one coming from Khanapur and it is bit wider. Be extremely careful here after making the left towards Anmod checkpost. People go mad and drive horribly. There were two head on collisions I could see. One between Qualis and Swift and other between Alto and something. The turns are very sharp, thick forest around and one cannot guess next turn so please avoid overtaking here. The road suddenly ends with a 2 feet deep step near the post so slow down. Fortunately there are huge pipes kept there to warn the driver.

Post Anmod checkpost, all concrete road until Goa border but just after the arch where the Goa border starts, concrete ends with a huge step again. Stop here and take the car very slowly on the the old tar road. Goa side tar is still holding amazingly perhaps for a decade now. Roads inside Goa are good as usual.

Sorry for this delayed report since was busy with work. Starting back tomorrow and planning to take Honnawar, Shimoga, Chitradurga route.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th December 2020 at 12:06. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
rajivtelang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 08:49   #5022
NAK

Friends. I travelled on 27th morning from Kasturi Nagar Bangalore to Varca beach South Goa. Started at 5.45 am and reached the resort at 2.45, so door to door took 9 hrs. After going through several posts, I was a bit worried about the diversions on the Hubli highway however decided to go with that after reading the recent posts by many Team bhpians. My route was Bangalore - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwaad bypass (left) - Londa - Mollem - Margaon - Varca. We are a family of four with 2 kids. Didn't want to take a chance to go inside any restaurants for food so eneded up eating breakfast in the car. Just took 2 quick stretch breaks of 5 mins each. The road conditions upto Hubli were fabulous barring the often mentioned diversions which are around 10 proper ones while some small ones that aren't such a big bother. Mine is a moderate GC vehicle (GLC) and I was able to navigate the diversions without any big hassles. The challenge was in the Dharwaad to Mollem stretch where there is a 7-8 kms stretch with some really bad roads. Extremely uneven and nightmare for low GC vehicles. Drivers have to be careful navigating through that patch. Rest of the roads were in good condition especially after entering Goa border. The Tinai ghat section has some dynamic twists and turns so would recommend not to try any overtaking maneuvers. Reaching under 9 hrs is by far our best timed journey to reach Goa.
NAK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:37   #5023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
I will be driving down to Goa from Bangalore on 23rd and returning on 27th Jan. I am travelling with my wife, 6 year old kid and a dog. Will either be heading to Candolim or Utorda (Depending upon the stay option). Will be driving in my Harrier AT. I wanted guidance of the experienced folks on the following queries:

1. Blr-Chitradurga-Davangere-Haveri portion will be common irrespective of the final destination. As of now gmaps show Mundgod-Karwar route to be the shortest if heading to Utorda. Is that fine or better to take the Dharwad-Mollem route?

2. I am contemplating whether to do it in a single stretch (which may take 11-12 hrs) or halt somewhere midway. Are there any pet friendly hotels on the way if we want to halt?

I did Bangalore-Goa on the 17th and return on the 24th on my Seltos, and both ways, took me around 12 hours, with 3 stops (1 at a restaurant and 2 in the car). I have a 2.5 year old daughter and hence had to do multiple stops, plus I dont exceed 110 kmph given the conditions and road ethics in India.

To your specific question, I went to Utorda on the onward leg (stayed at Royal Orchid) and I took the Bankapur Toll - Mundgod - Yellapur - Karwar road and while nothing to be concerned from a road conditions perspective, the Bankakur - Yelapur stretch is irritating as the road is extremely narrow, you need to take the left wheel off the road to even let a car pass in opposite direction (we encountered a few trucks and 1-2 buses too) and there were a few dozen unmarked/poorly marked speed breakers, plus several stretches where the road is non-existent/bridges being constructed. Once you cross Yellapur, road conditions are much better, except for really worn-out surfaces at the ghat on the bends. You can maintain 70-80 on the Yellapur - Karwar stretch (apart from the ghat bends) and post Karwar, roads are a combination of 2 and 4 lane.

For the return, we took a slightly different option which was suggested earlier on this forum. Instead of taking a detour at Yellapur towards Mundgod, we continued on the NH towards Hubli till Kalahgatgi, and from there, took SH1 which took us thru Tadas and connected us to the Hubli-Bangalore highway, perhaps ~15-20 kms before Bankapur. This is ~30 kms longer but I would suggest this as the road conditions are much better and you would need to navigate only ~30 kms of narrow roads thru villages, as opposed to ~75+ on the Bankapur - Yellapur stretch. You may want to consider this option.

For food, on both legs, we stopped at Apoorva Resorts, outskirts of Davengere.. Very clean, good south indian options, and clean rest rooms with plenty of parking. With the abundant parking and open areas to stretch (for you and your pet), this could be a good option.

The other irritant which several have commented are the detours between Chitradurga - Davengere, which can slow you down. The road width at the detours is very narrow and if you are stuck behind a truck at these places, there's nothing you can do.

The attached image shows the routes we took, first was the Mundgod stretch for onward, and the return thru Kalaghatgi - Tadas for return. Hope you find this useful
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-onward-thru-mundgod.png  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-return-thru-tadas.png  

aroonanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:13   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting back tomorrow and planning to take Honnawar, Shimoga, Chitradurga route.
I changed my return route on fly today. I took left towards Yellapura and took the Mundagod, Bankapura road. It was perfectly OK. Started at 6.45AM from Quepem and reached at HSR layout by 6.45PM, exactly 12 hours.
Once again packed breakfast and lunch and had en route. Drove very comfortably without exceeding 100KPH. There were cops at 4 locations between Davanagere and Chitradurga and once I was stopped for documents checkup. By seeing family with me, they just let me go. Majority of the incomplete sections and diversions are between Davangere and Chitradurga.

Still Anmod is shorter than this route by some 20km but one needs to deal with the Tinai ghat diversion.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 29th December 2020 at 19:20.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:29   #5025
BHPian

Quote:
I changed my return route on fly today. I took left towards Yellapura and took the Mundagod, Bankapura road. It was perfectly OK. Started at 6.45AM from Quepem and reached at HSR layout by 6.45PM, exactly 12 hours.
Once again packed breakfast and lunch and had en route. Drove very comfortably without exceeding 100KPH. There were cops at 4 locations between Davanagere and Chitradurga and once I was stopped for documents checkup. By seeing family with me, they just let me go. Majority of the incomplete sections and diversions are between Davangere and Chitradurga.

Still Anmod is shorter than this route by some 20km but one needs to deal with the Tinai ghat diversion.
We may have crossed each other at several places today! I started at 6:15 from Varca and reached Padmanabha Nagar at 5:15 (incl 1 hour break). At Yellapur, some adventure spirit washed over me at took the Mundgod-Bankapur route, just like you. But I found the route very irritating due to its narrowness and never ending speed breakers after Mundgod. I was stopped too for documents check up. I couldnt control and asked the cop who stopped me why are they harassing high speed travelers on a national highway. He didnt answer. Of all the things, he asked for me for my emission cert, and let me go in a jiffy. Were you in a Duster (with a convoy following you)? Thanks for your detailed report on Tinai ghat. What you have mentioned is a nightmare and I wouldnt advise anyone to take that route until sanity is restored.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed