Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 00:32   #3511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Drove to Goa on Wednesday through Friday and my destination was Benaulim Beach near Colva.

Onward:
Start: 0530, End : 1400, 8.5 Hours
Breaks: For Breakfast at Kamat, Ranebennur for 30 minutes, 10 minutes at Dudhsagar Resorts

Route Taken:
Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem - Madgaon - Benaulim

Route Conditions:
  • Bangalore - Hubli Bypass : Usual GQ, Good conditions, Rumblers flourish between Chitradurga and Hubli
  • Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem : Good tolled road till Ramnagar, 4 Railway crossings and we stopped at 2 of these for the first time ever. This is mainly due to a late start of 0530 which otherwise is always 0430 or max 0500.
  • Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem: Super good roads now, all patched up and I drove first time (last was Sept 2015) after the road was fully repaired and its a bliss
  • Mollem to Madgaon till Destination: Typical Goan roads, clean!

Return:
Start: 1100, End : 2130, 10.5 Hours

Breaks:
  • For lunch & refueling at Kamat, Ankola for 45 mins
  • At Athithya for evening snacks for 30 Minutes
  • At Khyatasandra (Tumkur Bypass) for Dinner for 30 minutes

Route Taken:
Benaulim - NH17 - Palolem - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapura - Mungod - Bankapura - Davanagere - Bangalore

Route Conditions:
  • NH17 within Goa remains as good as before
  • Once you enter Karnataka, massive 4 lane work is in progress (A huge difference in just 8 months) and you can expect good construction trucks (IRB) all through this road till you get off NH17. However, roads remain brilliant despite the 4 laning work
  • NH63 from Ankola towards Yellapura too is beautiful with even the parts of ghats 20 kms before Yellapura getting a fresh layer or tarmac. This one is now perfect to say the least
  • Yellapura to Mungod - Narrow, single lane but lovely road
  • Mungod to Banpapura - Gets wider and better

Some Important points:
  • Mining within Goa has ensured the presence of a lot of mining/tipper trucks all over Goan roads throughout the day. This certainly adds to the time taken to reach your destination as they slow you down and are in abundance since you meet them quite often on roads
  • These trucks are driven dangerously and very carelessly. Need no debate here on their driving manners. My advise would be to drive very cautiously when you encounter them as every move of them can be fatal to the rest of the crowd around it on wheels
  • Dudhsagar Spa Resorts just a km before Goa Entry toll is a lovely place to break for lunch if you are running late. We almost did but we had plans to have our lunch at our resort at Benaulim itself. They have a buffet spread for lunch. I have stayed here 2 years back and have liked the food. This location can be a strategic breakpoint after a long drive after getting off NH4 on Hubli Bypass
  • Avoid Athithya for food between Chitradurga-Hiriyur in case you plan a break on return. I tried this for the first time ever and its no more than a typical hotel that serves Govt and Private buses. The only saving grace is that they have cleaner rest rooms inside the Service Hall for ladies and gents.

Which remains the best choice between NH63 and NH4A - Well, I loved both and each has their own pros and cons:
  • While NH4A gives you more GQ type roads (till 426 kms from Bangalore) and has very less local traffic to fight with till you reach your destination, its the mining trucks soon after Mollem which are your new roadblocks now
  • On the other hand, the Bankapura+NH63+NH17 is a lovely combination. More emptier roads till you reach NH17 or enter Goa after Karwar. However, a lot of local traffic on NH17 till you reach your destination and very narrow roads at many places that make overtaking a difficult affair
  • Both these roads have their equal share of twists and turns but I found NH63 faster than NH4A due to the nature of curves but then you lose on time driving on NH17 within Goa
  • Not to forget that NH4A route via Alnavar-Ramnagar has 4 Railway crossings and if you have a bad day, you can end up waiting at all as I did that at 2 but the overall wait time lasted not more than 8-10 minutes in all.

Important Point for those taking the Chorla route:
From Sanquelim, no confusion now onwards between Mapusa and Old Goa route. Just stick to OLD GOA road from Sanquelim as the 10 kms road from Old Goa to Intersection of NH17 before Panjim is a beautiful 4 lane and is 95% complete with only work pending near the intersection. This road will make you reach Panjim via Old Goa in under 15 minutes easily.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th May 2016 at 01:02.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 16:37   #3512
BHPian

Your roads experience got imparted quite vividly! . Reflecting few questions infused in the course of the read :

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mollem to Madgaon till Destination: Typical Goan roads, clean!
Is crossing Madgaon bothersome? One shall go straight through Madgaon, via colva beach road + colva-benaulim road(if headed northern Benaulim or even souther Benaulim or Varca etc i.e. gray route) or preferably leverage Madgaon bypass(if its even bit southern Benaulim or Varca etc i.e. blue route), as depicted in the options in this illustration?

Quote:
At Khyatasandra (Tumkur Bypass) for Dinner for 30 minutes
After Kamat Dabaspete, next adhoc highway pit-stop need I used to resource was Kamat Sira. A recommendable option in the stretch in between these two will be good to stock in knowledge as a resource for adhoc need?

Quote:
Mining within Goa has ensured the presence of a lot of mining/tipper trucks all over Goan roads throughout the day. These trucks are driven dangerously and very carelessly. Need no debate here on their driving manners. My advise would be to drive very cautiously when you encounter them as every move of them can be fatal to the rest of the crowd around it on wheels
Anything very distinctive to differentiate a mining truck in a glance? (Please bear my ignorance)

Quote:
Avoid Athithya for food between Chitradurga-Hiriyur in case you plan a break on return. I tried this for the first time ever and its no more than a typical hotel that serves Govt and Private buses. The only saving grace is that they have cleaner rest rooms inside the Service Hall for ladies and gents.
Good to know the good and bad . I think it is the one obscurely beside a flyover and while northbound one need to cross side under the flyover to reach it on other side of the road? It is roughly midway to Bankapur turn off, so is of interest/fits for breather/bio breaks while southbound.

Quote:
Important Point for those taking the Chorla route:
From Sanquelim, no confusion now onwards between Mapusa and Old Goa route. Just stick to OLD GOA road from Sanquelim as the 10 kms road from Old Goa to Intersection of NH17 before Panjim is a beautiful 4 lane and is 95% complete with only work pending near the intersection. This road will make you reach Panjim via Old Goa in under 15 minutes easily.
Intrigued if Mollem - Ponda - Old Goa - Panjim - Candolim OR Bambolim/Caranzalem (if one pursues the so called classic goa route via dharward - ramnagar -mollem) not a common alternative option at all, that Old Goa route-point is relevant only in conjunction with Chorla route?
Old 28th May 2016, 19:56   #3513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Is crossing Madgaon bothersome? One shall go straight through Madgaon, via colva beach road + colva-benaulim road(if headed northern Benaulim or even souther Benaulim or Varca etc i.e. gray route) or preferably leverage Madgaon bypass(if its even bit southern Benaulim or Varca etc i.e. blue route), as depicted in the options in this illustration?
Crossing Madgaon applicable only if you are headed further up beyond Colva.

Else whether you take NH4A or NH17, you reach Benaulim via Colva Road or Varca respectively without having to really cross the city.

Quote:
After Kamat Dabaspete, next adhoc highway pit-stop need I used to resource was Kamat Sira. A recommendable option in the stretch in between these two will be good to stock in knowledge as a resource for adhoc need?
Here is the entire list that you can pick your choice based on where you are - <Eateries between Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum>

The only reason to opt for Atithya this time was because our daughter was deep asleep and the rest of the passengers agreed to stop ahead once she is awake. Else, there was Kamat (new) attached to IOCL on the left side near Motebennur and then the usual one attached to RPCL after Ranebennur bypass on your right.

At Sira, there is a CCD as well before Kamat attached to IOCL

Quote:
Anything very distinctive to differentiate a mining truck in a glance? (Please bear my ignorance)
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-big_7741_miningtrucks7.jpg
They all look like depicted in the above picture. Usually TATA Tipper trucks with the above cabin style. (Source: Google)

Interestingly, I read an article that the Mining Authority Banned 500 odd trucks for breaching the speed limit of 40KMPH in April 2016! This speed is applicable even for empty trucks and monitored via GPS device installed in these.

And surprisingly, as you enter Goa, just tilt your head on both sides of the road and you will find each of the house with such a mining truck parked. Says a lot about the business that is back to its usual days we have seen almost 6 years back. The only difference is that this is restricted to Goa itself unlike days when mining trucks used to reach Goan ports from Karnataka through NH4A and NH63/NH17.

Quote:
Good to know the good and bad . I think it is the one obscurely beside a flyover and while northbound one need to cross side under the flyover to reach it on other side of the road? It is roughly midway to Bankapur turn off, so is of interest/fits for breather/bio breaks while southbound.
Yes, this is the same. Just have a look at the list for other options as well, there are aplenty. Atithya was tried for the first time by me and hence I had to update (and warn) here.

Quote:
Old Goa route-point is relevant only in conjunction with Chorla route?
You have got it precisely right and hence I mentioned "Chorla Route" & Chorla makes sense for North Goan destination (Panaji and above).

The reason to add that point in the end is because there were always apprehensions between the 2 route from Sanquelim (Mapusa or Old Goa). I ended up taking the Old Goa - Ponda option to return back to Benaulim on Thursday (Long story short - A huge pile up near Madgaon due to a KTC Bus involved in an accident). So I got to know the latest status of this road as I drove.

Hope I have managed to answer to all your queries.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th May 2016 at 20:20.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 00:36   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Crossing Madgaon applicable only if you are headed further up beyond Colva. Else whether you take NH4A or NH17, you reach Benaulim via Colva Road or Varca respectively without having to really cross the city.
Got it. Moving east to west from Camrolim to colva-road on SH5 across Madgoan area is nothing to bother and 'Crossing' Madgaon is basically passing it on NH17. Imbibed!

Quote:
At Khyatasandra (Tumkur Bypass) for Dinner for 30 minutes

I meant if at all something discovered to be fine at Khyatasandra/Tumkur Bypass and on NH4. Nevermind, was a casual question.

Quote:
Kamat (new) attached to IOCL on the left side near Motebennur
This is new for me. Have saved/starred in my google maps.

Quote:
At Sira, there is a CCD as well before Kamat attached to IOCL
Yeah, this one was starred in my google maps, which I mount/use while driving for navigation.

Quote:
They all look like depicted in the above picture. Usually TATA Tipper trucks with the above cabin style. (Source: Google)
Wow! Such inheritance of exposure/knowledge, preventing learning it some hard way, is a priceless and exciting thing about TBHP culture. Imbibed!

Quote:
You have got it precisely right and hence I mentioned "Chorla Route"
The reason to add that point in the end is because there were always apprehensions between the 2 route from Sanquelim (Mapusa or Old Goa).
Hope I have managed to answer to all your queries.
My bad , I lost the original context, of the classic Sanquelim - Mapusa Vs Sanquelim - Old Goa confusion/dilemma, being the essence of final pronounced point on Chorla Route, by the time I finished reading status of that 10km stretch/Old Goa bypass. I thought Old Goa bypass completions may be a news for Mollem - Ponda - Old Goa - Panjaji commuters too apart from Chorla, but the context/objective was not bypass completions update/news but that classic dilemma resolution while coming from chorla - Sanquelim

Last but not the least, really want to commend, applaud and heil the astounding TBHP spirits to provide overwhelming details in updates and query responses!
Old 1st June 2016, 12:29   #3515
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Dandeli

We travelled to Dandeli last week.

The route was Bangalore - (via NH4)- Hubli-Dharwad bypass - Haliyal - Dandeli.

Here's a way to find the road to Haliyal. Pay toll at the Hubli-Dharwad highway toll booth and proceed towards Dharwad. After some distance there is an exit to Kalghatgi on the RHS. Do not take this exit, but drive on for ~4 km. You'll see a mud road exiting towards the RHS. This has a barrier to prevent trucks from entering. Take this road. It leads to a well tarred road passing below.

(If you have the GPS on you should see a route suggested that goes to Dharwad and comes back to join the same tarred road that I mention above)

The road is narrow, but in a good condition and we were able to reach Dandeli quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is correct.

Dandeli-Ganeshgudi-Ramngar-Ponda.
We did take Dandeli - Ganeshgudi-Ramnagar-Ponda bypass to get to Margao. The roads are good. They get better the moment you enter Goa. You'll be greeted by the Rs 250 entry fee, but the roads within Goa are probably worth the money. Do watch out for trucks parked on the narrow roads as you enter Goa.

We took Margao-Karwar-Yellapur-Kalghatgi-Hubli-NH4 - Bangalore on our way back. Road widening work is happening on the Karnataka side (as you enter Karwar and proceed towards Gokarna). We were held up for about 20 minutes just after Karwar because of some blasting work to widen the roads.

The roads via Yellapur, Kalghatgi are nice, but undivided. Watch out for vehicles trying desperately to over-take some slow moving trucks.

A note on places to eat. Eating out in most places in Goa has become very expensive especially if you have sea-food. We tried the usual places - Martin's, Jhoncy's, etc.

I'm at a total loss finding a good place to eat along NH4. We stopped for an early dinner at the Kamat in Ranebennur (RHS as you come towards Bangalore). I went there because it has a Reliance pump.

The place was horribly infested with houseflies. Dead flies all around, even dropping into the plates. I was told they were coming from a nearby poultry farm. We ran for our lives. I suggest no one go there even to take a restroom break (restrooms were also full of dead flies).

Last edited by CBlazer : 1st June 2016 at 12:31.
CBlazer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 12:58   #3516
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Dandeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
You'll see a mud road exiting towards the RHS. This has a barrier to prevent trucks from entering. Take this road. It leads to a well tarred road passing below.
And I had seen a local car do this exactly when I drove last week to Goa. I was wondering where was it headed till I noticed that road connecting to the main road leading to Haliyal.

And those barriers are at multiple places wherever you have such undefined exits to prevent trucks.

The biggest challenge would be when it rains and keeps raining, these exits will not be worth an option to consider.
Quote:
I'm at a total loss finding a good place to eat along NH4. We stopped for an early dinner at the Kamat in Ranebennur (RHS as you come towards Bangalore). I went there because it has a Reliance pump.
The choices are limited but there are better places now apart from the usual Kamats.

There is Apoorva at Davanagere and quite a few closer to Hubli-Dharwad bypass which are typically Airport hotels as they happily welcome NH4 passers too - President, Clarks Inn to name a few.

Quote:
The place was horribly infested with houseflies. Dead flies all around, even dropping into the plates. I was told they were coming from a nearby poultry farm. We ran for our lives. I suggest no one go there even to take a restroom break (restrooms were also full of dead flies).
You really dont have a choice here I must say. Since many years I have witnessed the flies menace at Kamat and not just limited to the one near Hubli but the Ranebennur one too.

Forget Kamat, if you are driving through the night and season where these flies are maximum, your car's windscreen will be full of these and condensor fins are bound to get bent too.

This area between Haveri till Chitradurga is quite a "fly zone".
Old 3rd June 2016, 08:07   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
A note on places to eat. Eating out in most places in Goa has become very expensive especially if you have sea-food. We tried the usual places - Martin's, Jhoncy's, etc.
Precisely echo this sentiment. Goa have become unreasonable kind of expensive in last 10 years. Food pricing certainly looks inflated at most places, moreover for vegetarians even this expensive food will be seldom good.

Another tourism dimension which have deteriorated, specially in north goa, is that urbanization have glittered and the classic rustic & quaint country-side characteristic charm of Goa is diminished.

The reasons causing these changes are obvious and mundane to talk about.

The best area in terms of food I reckon and recommend is Canacona, because it's a seasonal area, opens only few months in a year, thus cooks/manpower seasonally come there from northern india or nepal etc, thus authentic food taste could be discernible here. Canacona is least urban too and upholds the foliage charm of Goa's appellation - 'Emerald Land'.

Since contemporary advancement have touched Canacona too, few upmarket-ish beach front stay and/or eat options suiting families have come up there of-late.
Old 8th June 2016, 13:01   #3518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Drove to Goa on Wednesday through Friday and my destination was Benaulim Beach near Colva.
Parag, many thanks for your detailed road condition write-up on roads. If you recollect, I tried Chorla last time for north Goa and it was a smooth experience.

Combined with swsumit's south Goa beache thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...south-goa.html), net effect is that the Goa wanderlust has again rekindled. :-)

A good target is 15 August (long weekend) although it will be the height of the monsoons. Do you foresee any change to the road conditions (as experienced by you) AFTER a months worth of rains?

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th June 2016 at 13:04. Reason: Grammar
Old 8th June 2016, 13:59   #3519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do you foresee any change to the road conditions (as experienced by you) AFTER a months worth of rains?[/b]
Chorla has remained the way it was since past 2 years facing all the rains. I expect NH4A too to be that way.

So enjoy your drive. And you never know, I might make another impromptu Goa drive like it happened 2 weeks before and let you know the conditions later too :-)
Old 8th June 2016, 18:03   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Parag, thanks for your nice writeup. I need some more information like {1}
distance from Ramnagar to Mollem, Mollem to Ponda {2} Number of tolls from Ramnagar to Mollem

Last edited by aah78 : 8th June 2016 at 19:47. Reason: Quote fixed.
KALSANKRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 18:10   #3521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
Parag, thanks for your nice writeup. I need some more information like {1}
distance from Ramnagar to Mollem, Mollem to Ponda {2} Number of tolls from Ramnagar to Mollem
1. ~45 kms and all good roads. So that number should not worry you
2. 30 kms from Mollem to Ponda
3. The only thing you pay is 250/- as entry charges at the Goan Entry gate. Nothing else

(You would have paid 55/- soon after you exit NH4 at Dharwad bypass and take the Dharwad-Alnavar-Ramnagar SH)

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th June 2016 at 18:11. Reason: Think=>Thing
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 20:46   #3522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Precisely echo this sentiment. Goa have become unreasonable kind of expensive in last 10 years. Food pricing certainly looks inflated at most places, moreover for vegetarians even this expensive food will be seldom good.
Since contemporary advancement have touched Canacona too, few upmarket-ish beach front stay and/or eat options suiting families have come up there of-late.
Yes you are right. Among the beaches of Goa Palolem{ Canacona Goa } beach is the BEST I had the unique opportunity of working in Canacona-Goa during
1993 - 1996 and my branch was just near the beach sarrounded by lots
and lots of Coconut Trees. Life was wonderful Canacona is not at all crowded
one can breath fresh air From this place Karwar is just 36 kms I used to commute every day from Sadashivagad near Karwar to my place of work

Last edited by aah78 : 8th June 2016 at 22:07. Reason: Quote fixed.
KALSANKRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 13:24   #3523
BHPian

gentlemen

sorry if the question is a repeat -

going to goa from Chennai via mangalore in 2 cars ,10 people with kids and ladies on 25th june. can you pl inform the best route to take and places for food . overnight stopover suggestions .

thank you
Old 10th June 2016, 14:15   #3524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay shekar View Post
gentlemen

sorry if the question is a repeat -

going to goa from Chennai via mangalore in 2 cars ,10 people with kids and ladies on 25th june. can you pl inform the best route to take and places for food . overnight stopover suggestions .

thank you
Goa via Chennai and Mangalore would an interesting drive.

Default route of course is Chennai - Krishnagiri - Hosur - NICE Road - Nelemangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Bhatkal - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (Destination).

Overall, except the 4 lane work in progress between Kundapur - Karwar - KA-GA Border, the roads are in good condition throughout.

Aplenty options between Chennai and Hosur for stops and you can refer to the Chennai-Bangalore thread.

Between Bangalore and Mangalore, there are again many options:
  • Swati Delicacy (after Kunigal Bypass on RHS)
  • Adigas (~2 Kms after Swati on RHS)
  • Mayura (~2 kms after Nelligere toll - 2nd toll where you pay 41 INR)
  • A2B (After 2 Lane bypass for Channarayapatna Ends)
  • Kamat (A little ahead after A2B on the right side)
  • Few good options in Sakleshpur (Gandharva and more and mostly all on RHS) - Refer Samurai's post here

Between Mangalore and Goa, I am not fully sure but if you are passing by Kundapura during Lunch time, "Shetty Lunch Home" is a lovely place for some Non-Vegetarian Food.

There is a CCD near Maravanthe and then Kamat+CCD after Ankola.

Overnight Stops:
The first ideal overnight stop over can be at Hassan and this would be approximately 6-7 hours max from Chennai. If this is too early, you can then stop only at Mangalore and that city has many many options you can pick from. But Chennai - Hassan - Mangalore is an easy 700+ kms of drive and will take anything between 10-11 hours.

At Hassan - Mallige Residency, Southern Star, Hotel Hassan Ashok etc are good options for overnight halts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th June 2016 at 14:25.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 15:13   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
Goa via Chennai and Mangalore would an interesting drive.

Default route of course is Chennai - Krishnagiri - Hosur - NICE Road - Nelemangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Mangalore - Udupi - Kundapura - Bhatkal - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (Destination).

Overall, except the 4 lane work in progress between Kundapur - Karwar - KA-GA Border, the roads are in good condition throughout.

Aplenty options between Chennai and Hosur for stops and you can refer to the Chennai-Bangalore thread.

Between Bangalore and Mangalore, there are again many options:
  • Swati Delicacy (after Kunigal Bypass on RHS)
  • Adigas (~2 Kms after Swati on RHS)
  • Mayura (~2 kms after Nelligere toll - 2nd toll where you pay 41 INR)
  • A2B (After 2 Lane bypass for Channarayapatna Ends)
  • Kamat (A little ahead after A2B on the right side)
  • Few good options in Sakleshpur (Gandharva and more and mostly all on RHS) - Refer Samurai's post here

Between Mangalore and Goa, I am not fully sure but if you are passing by Kundapura during Lunch time, "Shetty Lunch Home" is a lovely place for some Non-Vegetarian Food.

There is a CCD near Maravanthe and then Kamat+CCD after Ankola.

Overnight Stops:
The first ideal overnight stop over can be at Hassan and this would be approximately 6-7 hours max from Chennai. If this is too early, you can then stop only at Mangalore and that city has many many options you can pick from. But Chennai - Hassan - Mangalore is an easy 700+ kms of drive and will take anything between 10-11 hours.

At Hassan - Mallige Residency, Southern Star, Hotel Hassan Ashok etc are good options for overnight halts.
wow - thank you for the detailed update - I am greatful. Planning to stop in mangalore overnight. Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks