Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 13:18   #6091
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayendra16 View Post
Thanks Sunil. I was checking out the route options and see that one can go to Yellapur from Bankapur itself (going to South Goa) and then onwards to Karwar and Canacona. Basically, BLR-Davangere-Bankapur-Yellapur-Karwar(I think NH 66)-Canacona. Is this the right route that your are suggesting or should I go to Hubbali and then to Yellapur?
Hi Vijayendra,
I don't recommend Karwar>Yellapur>Bankapur route due to the potholes, bad road surface condition and You are going to lose both energy and time., instead you can choose Mollem>Anmod>Ramnagar>Dharward NH>Hubbali>Bangalore.
SVMBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 14:13   #6092
BHPian

Hi, How is 'Mollem>Anmod>Ramnagar>Khalapur' route condition now?

I would be travelling from Pune to south Goa via Belgavi and thinking to go further Via Khanapur-Ramnagar (not via Bheemgad wildlife Sanctuary)- Anmod- Mollem- South Goa
Old 8th November 2023, 12:22   #6093

Thank You SVMBLR. I remember reading on one of the post pages that Anmod ghat is pretty curvy and Ramnagar has bad roads too. I guess its coming down to which route has better roads (comparatively) and time taken to reach South Goa. Got me still confused which route to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
Hi Vijayendra,
I don't recommend Karwar>Yellapur>Bankapur route due to the potholes, bad road surface condition and You are going to lose both energy and time., instead you can choose Mollem>Anmod>Ramnagar>Dharward NH>Hubbali>Bangalore.
Old 18th November 2023, 00:23   #6094
BHPian

I travelled via following two routes last week:

1. Bangalore->Chitradurga->Hubballi bypass (Gabbur)->Kalaghatgi->Yellapur->Karwar->South Goa

2. North Goa->Mollem->Anmod Ghat->Ramnagar->Hubballi bypass ->Chitradurga->Bangalore

Both routes are fine, in my opinion. Yellapur to Ankola stretch has its share of potholes, while Anmod ghat and beyond has a few bad patches. Need to be careful about dangerous overtaking manoeuvres from vehicles coming from the opposite direction in the Anmod ghat road.

As mentioned by other members, for the south Goa route via Yellapur, Google maps tried to divert via interior roads much before reaching Hubballi. I ignored it and took the left just before Gabbur toll. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5402845 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

And this list of eateries en-route compiled by loki is quite useful: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5416174 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

Last edited by motorsan : 18th November 2023 at 00:24. Reason: Grammar
Old 29th November 2023, 14:17   #6095

Guys, I am leaving for Goa on 1 Dec from Bangalore (Koramangala)

My destination in Goa will be at Ashvem. Planning to go in my BMW 3 series - leaving Bangalore at around 4.30AM. Which is the best route to take here?

While returning, will be coming from Taj Aguada Fort - is there an alternative route that I should take while returning?

I have gone through the posts and identified 2 main routes - the Mollem /Anmod Ghat one and the other through Yellapur, Karwar etc. Kindly recommend which route I should be taking based on the latest road conditions. Thanks in advance!
Old 29th November 2023, 16:07   #6096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkzen6 View Post
Guys, I am leaving for Goa on 1 Dec from Bangalore (Koramangala)

My destination in Goa will be at Ashvem. Planning to go in my BMW 3 series - leaving Bangalore at around 4.30AM. Which is the best route to take here?

While returning, will be coming from Taj Aguada Fort - is there an alternative route that I should take while returning?

I have gone through the posts and identified 2 main routes - the Mollem /Anmod Ghat one and the other through Yellapur, Karwar etc. Kindly recommend which route I should be taking based on the latest road conditions. Thanks in advance!

For both Ashwem and Fort Aguada side - Ramnagar--> Mollem will work better and as you are driving without stay in between. Although after ramnagar it is suggested to take sharp right for deviation that goes towards Tinai and Rnagarook side and meets back after Anmod.
rustyg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 18:20   #6097
BHPian

Went on a road trip to Goa on December 1st via the Dharwad - Ramanagar route. The road, more specifically NH748 near Anmod in Karnataka, is literally non existent as shown in this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5567737 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)

The road improves drastically after we cross into Goa. Makes we wonder just how the successive governments in Karnataka are "shameless lungi sarkars" who do nothing!

While returning, to avoid these bad roads, I took the longer route via Mapusa and Tilari Nagar back to Belagavi. These roads are much better but Tilari ghat has very steep uphills in which my new i20 stalled! As it doesn't have hill start assist, I had to use high 4,500 RPMs in 1st gear to start climbing and prevent a rollback. I hope the clutch didn't get damaged.

An old MSRTC bus behind us stalled too and got stuck there in the ghats! So be very careful and try crossing this section only during the daytime which is otherwise a very picturesque route and the highway after Belagavi towards Dharwad is simply the best. As an alternative safer route, I'd suggest taking the circuitous Karwar road route from Hubli to reach Palolem in South Goa and then proceed towards Panaji.
Old 11th December 2023, 12:47   #6098
BHPian

Hi Folks, I am planning for a road trip(after a long time, that too, to Goa)!
I will be going from North Bangalore to South Goa, and returning from Dandeli back to North Bangalore.

Can you help/suggest the best derivable route these days.
Have attached the google maps(suggested by google).
- From North Bangalore to South Goa it shows around 11 hours
- From Dandeli to North Bangalore it shows around 8 hrs

Kindly advice, shall I follow this route or is there any other better option/s!

Regds,
FoxTrot
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-north-bangalore-south-goa.png  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dandeli-north-bangalore.png  

Old 12th December 2023, 16:41   #6099
BHPian

Hi I recently drove Bangalore > Goa > Bangalore. This is the route I took.

Onward: Bangalore > Davengere > Ranebennur > Hirekerur > Jog > Honnaver > Karwar > Canacona > Agonda

Return : Agonda > Karwar > Yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapura > (joining higway ) > Haveri > Ranebennur > Danvengere > Tumkur > Bangalore

I don't recommend the return route since roads are not in good condition in the Karwar > yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapura stretch. Better take the first route if heading to south goa. In the first route, roads were good throughout. nothing to complain about other than occasional rough patches.

hope this helps.
Ranger747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 17:06   #6100
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
Onward: Bangalore > Davengere > Ranebennur > Hirekerur > Jog > Honnaver > Karwar > Canacona > Agonda

Return : Agonda > Karwar > Yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapura > (joining higway ) > Haveri > Ranebennur > Danvengere > Tumkur > Bangalore

I don't recommend the return route since roads are not in good condition in the Karwar > yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapura stretch. Better take the first route if heading to south goa. In the first route, roads were good throughout. nothing to complain about other than occasional rough patches.
Looks like nothing much has changed in about 6 months
I traveled in July this year and we took the same onward and return routes. Though the return route via Mundgod wasn’t great, we could make a quick stopover at the Tibetan monastery.
Old 13th December 2023, 12:08   #6101
BHPian

For Ankola to Yellapur and onwards to Bankapur stretch
Based on my couple of trips in last 3-4 months.

In case it is must to use it- following are Km wise bad patches and at places potholes are deep.
After taking turn from NH 66 towards Yellapur and onwards real bad patches will be there at following marks- That doesn't mean other portions are butter-smooth- but the below are doable but pretty bad.
Total ~66/67 KM
KM mark from NG 66 where very bad patches can be expected-
  • 4KM to 6KM
  • 16 KM to 18km
  • Around 20KM for a KM
  • 23Km - for a km or more
  • 26KM - 27KM
  • at 40KM - around 1/2 km
  • at 49th KM mark

Other places can be done with good speed.

Type of vehicle discussion
I have done this stretch on SUV as well as Sedan-
In my view doesn't matter if you have SUV or sedan or hatchback because
- SUV hold better from ankola to yellapur but smaller car better for onwards from Mundgod road side
- Sedan / Hatchbakc better for Mundgod road but not for Yellapur to Ankola
- Better choice is if you have SUV - and go straight from Yellapur, cross Kalaghatgi , take further towards gabbur road - least painful. 2nd option Kalaghatgi to tadas side which is narrow and has bad patches but better than Mundgod.

Options-
NH 66 to Yellapur , then-->
a) Take right--> Mundgod --> Bankapur - Narrow road- need to get down at many places and lot of work (as well corn and other things being dried by villagers - right on the main road)
b) Go straight --> Kalaghatgi --> take right to go towards tadas --> Take right at tadas (broken road T junction) --> go all the way to Kunnur--> Take left --> Hit NH/AH 47- Basically this one -KalaghatgiToTadasToNH47

c) Go straight --> Go past Kalaghatgi --> Take right after Anchatageri village towards Gabbbur --> take right on NH/AH47 from Gabbur
rustyg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 14:59   #6102
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. How many hours did you take from Bangalore to Agonda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
Hi I recently drove Bangalore > Goa > Bangalore. This is the route I took.

hope this helps.
Old 13th December 2023, 16:49   #6103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinjoseph View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. How many hours did you take from Bangalore to Agonda?
We started from Bangalore around 9am. Reached Honnaver around 6pm-ish ( with three breaks ) Stayed the night and started for Agonda next day by 10 ish. reached there by 12.30 or so.

could have drove in one shot, but to make better use of Goa resort, good to reach right on the checkin time instead of late evening.
Ranger747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:29   #6104

Hello folks,

I will be driving down to South Goa - Palolem for the Christmas weekend. I have identified the following route based on some research.
NH48 Bangalore > Tumkur > Davanagere > Kalghatgi > Connect NH52 to Karwar > join NH 66 till Palolem. This route has been suggested for slightly better road conditions. Plan to follow the same route on the way back as well.

This is a slight deviation from the route maps suggests which goes through Bankapura. The route I have selected goes in a similar direction but turns off the NH48 about 20 kms after Bankapura.

Here's the route on maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xAfwHStvuEmLoFZcA

If someone has taken this route, can you please let me know if this is a good and safe route. Also, please suggest good places to stop on the way for food (with clean toilets).

I might also break the first leg of the journey at Davanagere if I am not able to leave in the morning as I plan. Any recommendations for a good, clean and safe hotel on the highway will be appreciated as well.
Old 14th December 2023, 16:49   #6105
BHPian

Yes, this route is safe and fastest to Palolem.
Hotel Apoorva at Davangere is on the left as you head to Goa for a decent break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecusp View Post
Hello folks,

I will be driving down to South Goa - Palolem for the Christmas weekend. I have identified the following route based on some research.
NH48 Bangalore > Tumkur > Davanagere > Kalghatgi > Connect NH52 to Karwar > join NH 66 till Palolem. This route has been suggested for slightly better road conditions. Plan to follow the same route on the way back as well.

This is a slight deviation from the route maps suggests which goes through Bankapura. The route I have selected goes in a similar direction but turns off the NH48 about 20 kms after Bankapura.

Here's the route on maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xAfwHStvuEmLoFZcA

If someone has taken this route, can you please let me know if this is a good and safe route. Also, please suggest good places to stop on the way for food (with clean toilets).

I might also break the first leg of the journey at Davanagere if I am not able to leave in the morning as I plan. Any recommendations for a good, clean and safe hotel on the highway will be appreciated as well.
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks