Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 12:58   #6031
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Glad to have been of help mate. Hope you had a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Thanks a lot to forum members:
Bailey,
NPV,
chorispao,
nirumaljustdoit,

And special thanks to Freebrid82 for such a magnificient response. I was able to return back to Bangalore yesterday night, after weighing upon your posts.
Freebird82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:46   #6032

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Please take the newly built bypass to avoid Gabbur-Hubli road and the toll gate. You need to enter a service lane to take the on-ramp. I am not sure if there is a dedicated entry from the highway itself. I didnt want to experiment. Roads are good throughout other than 2-3 small diversions.

Up to Yellapura, the roads are in good condition. Post Yellapur and until 10kms before you hit Karwar road (about 50 kms), its pothole country. New ones are popping up on a daily basis given the rains. But you can maintain decent average speeds if you are careful. After that its a mix of 2 lane and 4 lane roads all the way to Goa.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I did the drive on 20th and 24th (return) September.
Thanks for the update.

How good or bad is this stretch after Yellapur. Just checked the route on google maps and it shows red and orange at a particular point so i assume it must the you are talking about.

Any good restaurants to stop by once you cross Karwar road and heading towards South Goa.

Is there a new bypass for Chitradurga now. I see one on the maps.?

Last edited by Ashbee70 : 26th September 2023 at 13:55.
Old 26th September 2023, 17:35   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbee70 View Post
Thanks for the update.

How good or bad is this stretch after Yellapur. Just checked the route on google maps and it shows red and orange at a particular point so i assume it must the you are talking about.

Any good restaurants to stop by once you cross Karwar road and heading towards South Goa.

Is there a new bypass for Chitradurga now. I see one on the maps.?
The stretch after Yellapura, you can definitely manage with ease in any car. Nothing to worry at all. But you cant hit potholes on high speed. Maintain a speed suitable to the road conditions.

The new bypass for Chitradurga has been open for a while now...may be for more than an year. Its a pleasure to drive on this new road.

I usually dont stop at any restaurants after the Apoorva Resort stop, which is near Davanagere. You have some good places to eat once you cross Goa border. Others may know better.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 18:40   #6034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbee70 View Post

Any good restaurants to stop by once you cross Karwar road and heading towards South Goa?
I would strongly recommend trying Amruth. It is located in Karwar town and it’s absolutely fantastic!

Driving into Karwar is a short detour and it shouldn’t take you longer than 10 minutes to find the restaurant once you get off the main highway.

Amruth is one of those “can’t miss it” sort of places, if you like sea food especially.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 21:08   #6035

Hello BHP-ians! We're a family of 4 and are planning to travel to Goa (Canacona) mid-October. Google is showing BLR-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Haveri-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona route. I travelled this same route in Jan this year and the stretch from Yellapur to Ankola was pathetic with lots of construction. Wanted to know if it's improved or worsened considering the rains. Or if there's a better route to take. I will be driving my new ScorpioN D-AT and hence not majorly worried about poor roads. But if there are stretches that are blocked due to rains or construction. Any suggestion would be great!
Old 28th September 2023, 11:07   #6036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Hello BHP-ians! We're a family of 4 and are planning to travel to Goa (Canacona) mid-October. Google is showing BLR-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Haveri-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona route. I travelled this same route in Jan this year and the stretch from Yellapur to Ankola was pathetic with lots of construction. Wanted to know if it's improved or worsened considering the rains. Or if there's a better route to take. I will be driving my new ScorpioN D-AT and hence not majorly worried about poor roads. But if there are stretches that are blocked due to rains or construction. Any suggestion would be great!
I think the BLR-Chitradurga-Dharwad-Ramngara-Anmod could be another alternative considering that monsoons would have ended in Oct and it would be a faster route then. But since your destination is southern most Goa, the route you are checking out also works.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 21:18   #6037
BHPian

Planning a return trip from Goa to Bangalore in the next 3 weeks. Since we plan to start past noon, would prefer a night halt at Davangere. Would appreciate feedback on the suitability of Davangere and recommendations for stay with breakfast at Davanagere. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:53   #6038
BHPian

Hi All
Drove to Panjim via Anmod. With the monsoon retreating, the 12km stretch is now clear of water logging. Route is absolutely doable now in any car with the only pain point being the road besides the under construction flyover (15.430, 74.360). Rest is all good to go! This route is the fastest way to North Goa. Happy driving.
Regards,
Chorispao
chorispao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 19:45   #6039
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore trip last week and sharing a quick update on the route conditions:

Bangalore to Goa: Took Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
Lot of potholes (few very big) and long stretches of bad roads to deal with in the Yellapur - Ankola section, keeps you dodging them all the time, definitely not a smooth ride.

Goa to Bangalore - despite starting from South Goa (Varca beach), opted for Goa-Anmod Ghat-Dharwad-Hubli-Bangalore route and it was much better and faster route. No notable bad sections encountered anywhere on this route.

Special thanks to @Freebird82 for the detour recommendation (Anmod - Rangarook - Marsangal - Tinai) - not only was this a smooth diversion, but one of the best sections to enjoy driving!

In my opinion, even for travel to and from South Goa, Anmod Ghat is the best route currently, given the poor condition of Yellapur-Ankola stretch.
Peepsimus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 09:00   #6040
BHPian

Did a Bangalore - goa - Bangalore trip over the weekend. Took the below route to Goa:

Bangalore - Tunkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Ranebennur - haveri -Hubli - Alvar - Ramnagar - Anumod - Goa

Roads till Ramnagar are good, post that due to monsoon too many potholes filled with water (continuous rains didn't help either). low GC vehicles will surely scrape at couple of places, its still doable, but the Tinai ghat route is preferred which we took on the way back.

Left turn at Anumod Checkpost leads to Tinai Ghat and the road is in very good condition with barely any potholes. Gmaps also suggested this route and were glad we took this route. driving via this route was a breeze and we made up good time as it had very less traffic as well, even though it has few section which are pretty narrow
ant_vas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:16   #6041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP-ians! We're a family of 4 and are planning to travel to Goa (Canacona) mid-October. Google is showing BLR-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Haveri-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Canacona route.
Why not try Shivamogga - Honnavara - Karwar - Canacona? Asking as I think the driving time on this route to South Goa should be about 9 hrs. (4 Hrs to Shivamogga, 3 Hours to Honnavara and about 2 hours to Canacona from there IMO with a 4am start from BLR)

Last edited by procrj : 5th October 2023 at 16:17.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 18:06   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Why not try Shivamogga - Honnavara - Karwar - Canacona? Asking as I think the driving time on this route to South Goa should be about 9 hrs. (4 Hrs to Shivamogga, 3 Hours to Honnavara and about 2 hours to Canacona from there IMO with a 4am start from BLR)
Alternatively, one can take the route via Ranebennur - Hirekerur - Soraba - Siddapura - Kumta as well.

Travelled to Kumta couple of months back and the route is excellent with hardly any traffic
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 18:31   #6043

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
How are the road conditions at this stretch? I'd definitely love to explore
Old 6th October 2023, 13:06   #6044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Alternatively, one can take the route via Ranebennur - Hirekerur - Soraba - Siddapura - Kumta as well.
How long did it take from Ranebennur to Kumta? I havent taken this route in a while now but what I remember is that some strecthes are quiet narrow and the roads are more twisty in the Soraba - Siddapura stretch.

Quote:
How are the road conditions at this stretch? I'd definitely love to explore
Roads are all good except for a 10km stretch just before Shivamogga town.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 11:28   #6045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
Planning a return trip from Goa to Bangalore in the next 3 weeks. Since we plan to start past noon, would prefer a night halt at Davangere. Would appreciate feedback on the suitability of Davangere and recommendations for stay with breakfast at Davanagere. Thanks in advance.
I always stop at Davangere for my onwards (from Bangalore) and return journeys for reasons -
Onwards
- With 2 kids, don't prefer non-stop journey as kids get tired of being confined and I get tired of playing refree after few hours in car
- Can't miss Davangere benne dosa for anything
- Usually pick kids from school and then start on Fri, saving a day
Return
- Points 1,2 of Onwards list above
- I drive under between 90-110 and feel fatigue around Chitradurga and dont want to take risks by pushing to reach home. Also- the most hectic leg of journey - Bangalore limits driving still being ahead
Did the above around 7-8 times and 2 times of direct journey in last 2 years. Davangere is sweet spot for my style of travel.

Stay- Highly recommend Southern Star - as it is accessible from highway and not very inside, It is inclusive of Breakfast option, good and spacious rooms even with 2 kids and extra bed and lastly - happy hours in bar till 9 pm
Break fast spread is very big and lot of options.

To Do in Davangere- Sri Kotureshwara Benne Dosa place- as it is open till 9:30 and can be managed even after availing happy hour above. Great taste, Fast Service.
I would recommend to skip Nargis Mandakki, had it in 2 places and not worth hype(in my opinion)
rustyg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks