Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2023, 13:19   #6001
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
About the travel duration, I believe it highly depends on where in Bangalore you start and at what time.
I agree. From where you start is an important factor. It takes me more than 1 hr to even get out of Bangalore on that route. That is critical time lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It will also depend on what time of the day you do this 90-100. Doing 90-100 from 7am to 12 noon will not be as efficient as doing the same between 4am to 11am.
Have to agree to your point as well. Early start means less traffic. Whiel going I started at 5:30 but somehow towards the end of the journey I had started feeling sleepy. While coming back I started at 9:30 and still was pretty good till I encountered Bangalore border traffic

I guess its more of an individuals choice.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 13:21   #6002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Have to agree to your point as well. Early start means less traffic. Whiel going I started at 5:30 but somehow towards the end of the journey I had started feeling sleepy. While coming back I started at 9:30 and still was pretty good till I encountered Bangalore border traffic

I guess its more of an individuals choice.
Also, return trips consume more time because you normally start driving after 11am check out and by the time you are near Chitradurga, traffic starts to build up towards Bangalore.
Old 31st August 2023, 19:40   #6003

Quote:
What speed are you guys driving at

I took more than 12 hours both ways.

Went via Karwar and came back via Anmod. Anmod took less time and is much better option in my opinion.

But I am not able to fathom how members are managing 10/10.5 hrs.

I drove between 100-120 wherever possible and took 1 hr 15 mins break in total but still that can't touch the times mentioned by long margin.

Note: Even is someone is driving at 140-50, those speeds can't be maintained for a bigger stretch so that increases my curiosity.

Usually, I drive between 100 to 120 KMPH consistently hours at end if the highway is good and is a 3+3 lane highway. This comes down to 90 to 100 KMPH on a 2+2 lane and 60 to 80 KMPH on a 2-lane highway.

We always start between 330 and 4 a.m. for all our road trips from Bangalore. This helps us reach highways early, which are usually empty, and we can make good time. Breaks for us are minimal unless parents are traveling with us. Breakfast break will be for 45 mins and one petrol break of 10 mins for a 600 - 700 km journey (again depending upon the nature of the highway, so this might change)

We have a petrol manual Nexon, so maintaining consistent speeds helps me get an average of 16 km/liter with full AC, so anything beyond 120 KMPH is a loose-loose for me.
Rony2207 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 14:11   #6004
BHPian

Quote:
What speed are you guys driving at

I took more than 12 hours both ways.

Went via Karwar and came back via Anmod. Anmod took less time and is much better option in my opinion.

But I am not able to fathom how members are managing 10/10.5 hrs.

I drove between 100-120 wherever possible and took 1 hr 15 mins break in total but still that can't touch the times mentioned by long margin.

Note: Even is someone is driving at 140-50, those speeds can't be maintained for a bigger stretch so that increases my curiosity.
Starting around 4am helps a lot.
It also depends on the start and end location.
Lot of time difference between Yashwantpur to Agonda vs Whitefield to Vagator though both are technically Bangalore to Goa :-)
Old 4th September 2023, 10:03   #6005
BHPian

"But I am not able to fathom how members are managing 10/10.5 hrs.
I drove between 100-120 wherever possible and took 1 hr 15 mins break in total but still that can't touch the times mentioned by long margin."

I have done HSR to Old Goa in 8.5 hrs via Anmod. Secret ingredients were an early start & weekday drive to avoid traffic & delays at toll booths, a single 30 mins break, solo drive and maintain consistent speeds - on the higher side, not always illegal

On the flip side I emptied a 45L petrol tank for the 600kms aggressive drive. On other occasions, with more sedate driving style, I always manage 700+kms, exact same route, driving the same car. That translates into Rs700-750 or ~16% savings on fuel.

The thing is time is just one variable. Need to balance it out with FE, safety, comfort, convenience and fatigue, both driver and passengers. No point saving 1-2hrs on the drive and taking 1-2days to recover, especially while in Goa
Chinmayd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 11:55   #6006

Hello Friends

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Goa this coming December 2023. Total we will be 4 families in each individual cars. My three friends are pretty experienced drivers with decent mileage under their belt

I on the the other hand have driven around 11k mostly in the city & one trip from Bangalore to Chikmagaluru. I do not have any ghat drive experience. My car is grandi10 2019 Automatic TC.

Can someone guide me on what precautions should I take on the drive since this is first time I will be driving for such a long duration/distance?
Would I be able to manage the ghat section with my TC AT car ?
And should I get my car serviced prior to the journey ? I have heard conflicting opinions about getting a service check done prior to the long journey.
How is the overall road condition ?

Thanks
Jasraj
Thanks for any suggestions/feed back
Old 8th September 2023, 10:16   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasraj_jog View Post

Can someone guide me on what precautions should I take on the drive since this is first time I will be driving for such a long duration/distance?
Would I be able to manage the ghat section with my TC AT car ?
And should I get my car serviced prior to the journey ? I have heard conflicting opinions about getting a service check done prior to the long journey.
How is the overall road condition ?
Stick to basics of driving.
Sleep/Rest well the day before driving.
Keep yourself well hydrated during the road trip.
Stay alert althrough the journey.
Keep chewing gums and/or red bull handy for those episodes of highway hypnosis.
Get yourself a good songs playlist of your favorite numbers.
Start as early as possible.

Grand i10 Automatic should not be a challenge to go to Goa.
As someone mentioned earlier - in 3+3 lane highways - stick to 100 kmph; in 2+2 lane highways - stick to 80 kmph and in 2 lane highways please remain within 60 kmph (especially in the Ghat Section & inside Goa).

Get a servicing done before you go for the long drive - all your vitals should be perfect - Electricals, Oils, PUC.

Rather I am curious to know - why would someone recommend not to get the service done before you leave for the long drive.

Happy Journey and Drive Safe.
BIL2_HGi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 12:43   #6008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post

Rather I am curious to know - why would someone recommend not to get the service done before you leave for the long drive.
Some people are of the opinion that a service should be done post the journey. To each his own.

If not a full service then one can also go for an inspection before a long drive. I have got this done a couple of times at the authorized service center. They check the car for any potential issues and do topup also if required.

It cost me around thousand bucks but I had peace of mind on the journey.
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 12:03   #6009
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends

...Would I be able to manage the ghat section with my TC AT car ?
An automatic car would have no issues whatsoever and you dont need to worry. The ghat roads are nothing compared to Ooty, so it will not be an issue except for the tension.
My experience is that post lunch is the most dangerous part, when you tend to doze. Ensure that the person in the front seat is not sleeping and take regular breaks and wash your face. Be very conscious of the dozing and take a break immediately if you are aware of it.
Regarding service, I like to do it a month before a travel or after return when the car would be really dirty. If service is not due, I will not bother
I am old school and have the fear that the service will mess up something even if small and hence hesitate a long out of the city after service. I think is a fear without any basis with modern cars and servicing
deepak_misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 12:17   #6010

@deepak_mishra/@bil2_hgi10: thanks very much for your response.

Approximately how much mileage can I expect on the highway. For city driving in Bangalore, I get a very low mileage of 8 or 9 (expected as it is 4 speed TC)

Thanks
Jasraj
Old 9th September 2023, 13:15   #6011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Car service (if already due or nearing due) should be carried out prior to long journey. However, do it few days before the actual journey so that you have time to check and follow up with the service center in case of any discrepancies /issue to report post service.

Peace of mind before a long journey with near and dear ones is more important. If you are worried about dirty car post the trip, just get a good wash from nearby FNG and should be good as new.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 9th September 2023 at 13:36.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 19:25   #6012
BHPian

Quote:
@deepak_mishra/@bil2_hgi10: thanks very much for your response.

Approximately how much mileage can I expect on the highway. For city driving in Bangalore, I get a very low mileage of 8 or 9 (expected as it is 4 speed TC)

Thanks
Jasraj
I would expect an average of 18 at minimum. Note that Bangalore is at 1000 mts above sea level so the return journey gives less mileage
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 12:44   #6013
BHPian

Need your inputs. Please let me know of any good restaurants on the way to Goa with clean rest rooms. A sudden trip has come up to BITS Goa and I am not able to spend any time in researching, though this information exists in previous thrreads. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th September 2023, 12:53   #6014
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Need your inputs. Please let me know of any good restaurants on the way to Goa with clean rest rooms.
Don't know where in Goa you're headed or the route you're taking, but here are 2 that possibly are en route for you:
1. Apoorva Resorts, Davanagere, bang on the service road of the highway
2. Hotel Sapna, slight detour into Ankola but worth it
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 13:34   #6015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't know where in Goa you're headed or the route you're taking, but here are 2 that possibly are en route for you:
1. Apoorva Resorts, Davanagere, bang on the service road of the highway
2. Hotel Sapna, slight detour into Ankola but worth it
Thanks so much /u/NPV sir. I should have been clearer.

Route: Banashankari - Chitradurga - D'gere - Yellapura - Karwar - Varca (then onto BITS Goa).

I would also need the below information. I believe a new bypass has been constructed to reach Yellapura road directly without touching the old road at the outskirts of Hubli. I have taken this bypass while coming from Kalghatgi towards Bangalore, but not from Hubli to Kalghatgi.

If you are anyone of you are aware, can you let me know how to approach this entry so that I can bypass the old road. Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks