Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:18   #1936
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Guys, which would be the quickest route right now?

1. Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar
or
2. Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Honavar-Karwar

How is the road condition with option 2?

Apologies if its a repeated a question here.
Route 1 would be the fastest and excellent road conditions as well.NH4 till Hubli.From there onwards all the way till Ankola on NH63-wide road(an unofficial 4lane width).From there via NH17 onwards to Karwar-Madgaon.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:37   #1937
BHPian

Slightly offtopic perhaps.
I need to drive from Goa to Vellore (VIT) as my son will be joining there. Would it be better to take the normal Goa-Bangalore road and then Kolar-Palamaner-Chittoor. Another alternative suggested by Google maps is to take a left at Sira, to Gaunbidanur-Chintamani- Palamner-Chitoor.

Which is the smoother road?

Last edited by filcord : 3rd July 2012 at 15:39.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:23   #1938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Slightly offtopic perhaps.
I need to drive from Goa to Vellore (VIT) as my son will be joining there. Would it be better to take the normal Goa-Bangalore road and then Kolar-Palamaner-Chittoor. Another alternative suggested by Google maps is to take a left at Sira, to Gaunbidanur-Chintamani- Palamner-Chitoor.

Which is the smoother road?
What you can do is:

Take deviation at Dobbaspet and continue of NH207 till Dobddaballapur-Devanahalli-Hoskote and then continue on NH4, Its hardly a 20-30km
difference but you get good roads, But do also note, that the the route via Hosur/Krishnagiri is also of almost similar distance, So its actually worth
taking that route. Its 4 lane all the way: See the difference in distances for yourself : (The second option gives you 4 lane all the way,
in spite of constructions on Bangalore-Chennai sector, its still worth.

Via Chitoor
Via Hosur

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2012 at 19:24.
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:13   #1939
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The conditions have improved drastically and you wont find any mining trucks nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I have done this route in end May. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Mining lorries are gone,

Thanks guys, i did the stretch from Blore-Tumkur- Davangere-Hubli bypass-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa in about 14 hours with couple of stops & driving shared between myself and a friend. Left Blore at 6 am & reached Goa around 9 pm (Candolim) It was really comfortable.

This included an hour for breakfast at Davangere, an hour of breaks along the way and getting lost while inside Goa ! Road conditions are excellent and yes we do need to watch out for diversions till Chitradurga.

The Goa roads are just awesome, well marked & with superbly designed & executed speed breakers. Never once did i bottom out ! They have improved tremendously from the last time i was there in 2008. Had to really search hard to find a bad stretch of road even inside the villages.

The awesomest part was the Yellapur ghats which are simply amazing roads to drive through, very scenic and well laid out.
The worst part of the journey was reentering Blore roads

Edit : This was in a 225 bhp V6, which allowed us to maintain respectable speeds throughout but had to slow down for the ghat roads.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 3rd July 2012 at 23:18.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:40   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I believe the Sirsi - Kumta road is WIP. THe ghat section is under repair and only vehicles from one direction are allowed at a time for a certain section of the ghat. I had to do Sirsi - Honnavar recently and was advised to take the Sirsi - Siddapur - Honnavar route instead of Sirsi - Kumta - Honnavar. The roads were in excellent shape generally and the beautiful scenery was a sight for sore eyes .
I wish I had read your post more clearly; somehow I thought you had mentioned Kumta - Siddapur route (instead of Sirsi - Siddapur route). Just went via the earlier route, it turned out to be a single lane, broken down hilly road that is meant only for off-roading SUVs and bullock carts!

Just an update - I took the route Goa - Karwar - Ankola - Siddapur - Sagara - Shimoga - Tumkur - Dobbspot - Doddaballapur - Hoskote (destination). This took a massive 11 hour duration with quite a few adventures. Will be sharing the same with details on a TL later.

Thanks for all the inputs I got here from @ampere, @santoshbhat, @comfortablynumb & others!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th July 2012 at 16:42.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:54   #1941
BHPian

Apropos my earlier post about driving Goa-Bangalore-Vellore. I wanted to bypass Bangalore after Nelamangala, as I don't want to waste time in the city. Is the detour/bypass route suggested in the attached map something feasible?
How do I exit from the National Highway and onto the suggested bypass road?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-vellore.jpg  

Old 30th July 2012, 18:11   #1942
BHPian

Any updates on the road conditions (Amboli-Sawantwadi), any reported landslides? Planning in hitting Goa on the 1st from Pune.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:14   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Apropos my earlier post about driving Goa-Bangalore-Vellore. I wanted to bypass Bangalore after Nelamangala, as I don't want to waste time in the city. Is the detour/bypass route suggested in the attached map something feasible?
Yes - this is correct. As you come from Hosur and touch electronics city, watch out for the road sign near Electronics city gate for Mysore towards your left which is NICE road and will bypass bangalore and take you till Nelamangala. If you are passing through during the day - traffic scene would be bad - so keep to your left - since this junction is tricky and easy to miss.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 18:56   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to bypass Bangalore
The NICE road is a dream-road!
I too by-passed Bangalore on my trip from Hosur to Hubli in May.

I agree that it is a bit hard to find the exact turns, if you miss one you have to take a long detour.

I used Google-maps and Sygic-maps on my android as help.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 19:13   #1945
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Yes - this is correct. As you come from Hosur and touch electronics city, watch out for the road sign near Electronics city gate for Mysore towards your left which is NICE road and will bypass bangalore and take you till Nelamangala. If you are passing through during the day - traffic scene would be bad - so keep to your left - since this junction is tricky and easy to miss.
Here's how you can get onto NICE road in both directions for your Goa-Vellore and Vellore-Goa trip:
i)From Nelamangala to Hosur (Goa-Vellore) - After the Tumkur toll, proceed straight and just before you reach the next toll, get onto the service road and take the turn off for NICE Road towards Mysore/Bannerghatta/Hosur. Get onto this, pay the toll of ~Rs.140 to Hosur Road and keep going all the way on NICE Road till it ends at Hosur Road and you're now on NH7 near Electronics City (Take the exit for the Hosur direction since the other exit at Hosur Road will take you back towards Bangalore city).

ii)From Hosur to Nelamangala (Vellore-Goa) - After the Krishnagiri toll your next toll is at Attibele (Karnataka border). Once you pay this, proceed straight for about 10 Km, then you will see an elevated tollway - do *not* get onto this elevated road, instead keep going straight below the elevated road and in about 2-3 Km you will see a turn off to the left for NICE road towards Bannerghatta/Mysore/Tumkur. Get onto this, pay the toll of ~Rs.140 to Tumkur Road and keep going all the way on NICE Road till it ends at Tumkur Road and you're now on NH4 near Nelamangala.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2012 at 19:24.
Old 31st July 2012, 09:56   #1946
BHPian

Thanks NPV. that is most detailed. Looks like a toughie, as far as finding the exact exit, but I will follow your instructions religiously. Perhaps carry a good detailed roadmap printed out (I'm a novice with Android GPS)

Last edited by filcord : 31st July 2012 at 09:57.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:13   #1947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
i)From Nelamangala to Hosur (Goa-Vellore) - After the Tumkur toll, proceed straight and just before you reach the next toll, get onto the service road and take the turn off for NICE Road towards Mysore/Bannerghatta/Hosur.
Quote:
Thanks NPV. that is most detailed. Looks like a toughie, as far as finding the exact exit, but I will follow your instructions religiously. Perhaps carry a good detailed roadmap printed out (I'm a novice with Android GPS)
Do note that the the service road has lots of truck traffic. Its good to take the elevated road at the Neelmangala toll (the one after Tumkur toll). Go about 6-8km and turn-off to NICE is on the left.

The only caveat is that you will not see any signs earlier warning you of the approaching exit. The sign is right where the exit it (Its a fairly big board though).

So its good to be on the left side of the elevated road so that you dont lose the exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 15:02   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Hello T-bhpians, I need to travel to Panjim starting from Bangalore this month end. It would be of great help if I find some options:
1. I'm looking for the fastest and least stressful route.
2. I'm starting early morning from Bangalore and hope to reach Panjim by late evening.
3. I'm taking my new Ritz car. So hoping to travel on best roads.

Please help me with the route, folks.

Also, while coming back, plan is to leave from there early in the morning. I plan to visit Doodhsagar falls. I'm told to drive to Collem and catch a Jeep from there on. Any better ideas? What route would I be taking on my way back?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 31st July 2012, 15:27   #1949
Senior - BHPian

From Hosur, once you find yourself in a maze of flyovers above you, keep the left lane. There's a signal just before the NICE exit, you'll have to fight your way through service lane traffic to get yourself on the NICE which is 100 m away from the signal.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:13   #1950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hello T-bhpians, I need to travel to Panjim starting from Bangalore this month end. It would be of great help if I find some options:
1. I'm looking for the fastest and least stressful route.
2. I'm starting early morning from Bangalore and hope to reach Panjim by late evening.
3. I'm taking my new Ritz car. So hoping to travel on best roads.
Its the standard route:

Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karawar-Madgaon-Panjim

Also its very very advantageous to leave Bangalore by 4AM. That way,
you can zip through the diversions (which you find till Chitradurga) before the six lane work for the day begins.

Quote:
Also, while coming back, plan is to leave from there early in the morning. I plan to visit Doodhsagar falls.
I'm told to drive to Collem and catch a Jeep from there on. Any better ideas? What route would I be taking on my way back?
If on the way back you plan to cover Dudhsagar, I not sure it you can make till Bangalore during day time. By the time you are done with
the falls, it would be easily past noon. The route to Hubli from Kulem, goes via Castle Rock/Ganeshgudi/Dandeli. These are heavy ghat sections.
Hence I would say plan for one more day.

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2012 at 17:14.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed