Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 19:58   #1216
BHPian

If anyone has taken Hubli-Belguam-Sawanthwadi-Panajim stretch recently , please post your comments about the road conditions. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:12   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
If anyone has taken Hubli-Belguam-Sawanthwadi-Panajim stretch recently , please post your comments about the road conditions. Thanks in advance.
I came back via Panjim - Tilari Ghat - Belgaum - Hubli, the streach is in good condition, but the ghat is very steep, if you are going towards Goa should not be any issue, don't know about Sawanthwadi route though.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:47   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I came back via Panjim - Tilari Ghat - Belgaum - Hubli, the streach is in good condition, but the ghat is very steep, if you are going towards Goa should not be any issue, don't know about Sawanthwadi route though.
Can you describe for us this route, one of the least travelled routes to Goa?
How did you enter the Tilari Ghat road from the Goa side and where you reach before Belgaum?
And also the state of facilities en route, if any?
Old 16th September 2010, 21:48   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
Can you please provide more details? Since you have mentioned "Misfortune", is the road you have mentioned even worth driving in or should I just take a flight/train/Volvo to Goa?
Well...i've been driving this route every month over and over again since 2008, and it has kind of gotten monotonous, the misfortune was that i had to drive more than i wished to The road is good - drive down if you love driving or take the bus - both are good options ( i am back in goa, took the bus yesterday!)

Quote:
If the road is worth driving in, which are the bad parts to watch out for, other tips?
yes it is - very much driveable - stay off the shimoga route and the kittur route. Avoid nightdriving.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:46   #1220
BHPian

NHAI Updates -31 August 2010

The deadline for the Chitrdurga Bypass to Haveri has been extended yet again to 12/2010.

Welcome to NHAI
Old 18th September 2010, 13:23   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Itwasntme has mostly described what the NH4/NH4A route from goa is. NH4A is in fine condition on the goa side till Anmod. After that watch out for potholes on the Karnataka side. There are quite a few but the road is mostly motorable barring one or two small stretches which need to be taken rather slowly.

NH4 from Belgaum to Hubli is in great condition. The tarred patches are better than the concrete ones. The latter feels a bit rough. The Hubli bypass is in strictly OK condition. For a toll road, it deserves to be in better state.

From Hubli to Haveri is fine and then the diversions and level crossings begin. Watch out for unmarked speed breakers. There's one which I couldn't see and ended up jumping at 160'ish speeds. Was much more careful after that.

There's a Kamats around Haveri beside a reliance petrol pump. Had decent fresh food and reliance has started selling petrol again so I tanked up at that pump as well.

From Chitradurga onwards, roads are great. At the neelamangla expressway, the new bridges are closed but there are small entrances to get onto it. Get on the road on the first instance or you'll end up wasting half an hour behind slow moving traffic I ended up doing.

I left Margao at 11am and was at Jallahalli crossroads at 8:30 inspite of the half an hour delay at neelamangla and and a 30 minute lunch break.
Old 19th September 2010, 12:44   #1222
JLN
BHPian

Bangalore Goa Best Route Summary - Sep 2010

Based on the all the posts in the last few weeks, I have summarized what seems to be best and most practical route from Bangalore to Goa at the current time. Approx. driving time with stops and sensible driving: 11-12 hours.

Stretch 1: Bangalore to Hubli all the way on NH4
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Ranibennur - Haveri - Hubli.

Road Condition: Mostly good stretches - watch for unmarked speed-breakers.

Nice Place to stop: Kamat attached to a Reliance petrol bunk in Haveri.

2 Options from Hubli:

Option 1: Through Belgaum on NH4 on then on NH4A from Belgaum to Goa:
Hubli (through Bypass) - Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod - Ponda - Goa

Road Condition: Good Mostly - potholes between Anmod and Ramnagar (motorable)

Nice Place to Stop: Hotel Sankam in Belgaum attached to a Petrol bunk.

Option 2: Through Karwar on NH63 and then NH17 from Karwar to Goa

Hubli (Through Bypass) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Polem - Goa

Road Condition: Motorable with a few bad stretches around Karwar (due to landslides). NH17 surprisingly good. This is the route the KSRTC Volvo bus between Bangalore and Goa takes. Recent reports of this route required.

Routes to Avoid:
1) The Shimoga-Jog Falls route on NH206. Pretty bad roads reported in a number of stretches.
2) Kittur-Bidi route: Avoid taking the shorter route option from Kittur to Bidi (recommended option is to drive up to Belgaum on NH4 and come down on NH4A to Ramnagar)

Last edited by JLN : 19th September 2010 at 12:50.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:58   #1223
BHPian

Quote:

2 Options from Hubli:

Option 1: Through Belgaum on NH4 on then on NH4A from Belgaum to Goa:
Hubli (through Bypass) - Belgaum - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod - Ponda - Goa

Option 2: Through Karwar on NH63 and then NH17 from Karwar to Goa

Hubli (Through Bypass) - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Polem - Goa

Which would be the better route for Colva ? I have always taken Option 2 in the past but it seems like Option 1 might be worth exploring ??

Deepak
Old 21st September 2010, 13:53   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
Which would be the better route for Colva ? I have always taken Option 2 in the past but it seems like Option 1 might be worth exploring ??

Deepak
For Colva option 2 as stated by you is the better, there is no harm in exploring option 1 as well. For both options you should expect potholes from Hubli to Goa after the rains which have been pretty heavy this time around.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:50   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
For Colva option 2 as stated by you is the better, there is no harm in exploring option 1 as well..
Would the time taken be the same ?? it is difficult to figure out from the maps

Deepak
Old 21st September 2010, 17:44   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
Would the time taken be the same ?? it is difficult to figure out from the maps

Deepak
Mapmy india.com shows almost the same distances for both options to Colva. I feel both options may take similar time +/- 30 mins. If I remember correctly I have taken about 4.5 to 5 Hours from Hubli to Vasco for both options with Hubli-Belgaum done in 1 hour for option 1. Vasco is another about 40 Kms from your destination on route 2.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:10   #1227
JLN
BHPian

Goa Trip Plan

Hello folks, I am all set to do the Goa Road trip starting this Friday.

Car: Verna SX CRDi
Travelers: 4 adults, 1 child - 2 of the adults will be the drivers

Plan: Friday, leave Bangalore by 5:00 AM, stop for a quick Chai break somewhere in-between, reach Belgaum by 1:00-1:30 (stop at Sankam for lunch), leave Belgaum by 2:30 and reach Panaji by 6:00 and then proceed to Candolim (guess another hour from Panaji).

Return trip route will depend on the onward journey experience. May experiment with the route through Karwar, Sirsi, Davangere/Hubli.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:33   #1228
BHPian

@JLN i will be monitoring this thread and waiting for your updates. I might be planning a GOA road trip to attend a family wedding in Panji 1st week of Oct. So as you are heading over there this weekend your inputs will be greatly appericated.
My ride: Fiesta 1.6ZXi. Travelers 4 adults, 1child (2years). i would be the only driver.
Waiting for the Route details
Old 29th September 2010, 09:58   #1229
JLN
BHPian

Sep 24 to 28, 2010 - Road Update

Hello folks, Just got back from a road trip to Goa - here is a quick update - a detailed report to follow shortly.

BLR - Goa:
Route taken - NH4 to Belgaum, NH4A to Panaji, NH17 and inner road to Candolim.
Time taken: 12 hrs, 40 minutes from Sarjapur Road to our hotel in Candolim with a 45 minute breakfast stop, a 1 hour 20 minute lunch stop and 1 10 minute chai stop.
Road Condition: Great 4 lane divided road upto Belgaum (deviations, 2 lane streches, unmarked speed bumps between Davangere and Haveri). NH4A seems to be deteriorating fast - lots of bad streches all the way frm Khanapur to Molem. Definitely motorable, but we took almost 4 hours to get to Panaji from Sankam in Belgaum.

Goa - BLR:
Route taken - NH17 from Panaji to Ankola, NH63 from Ankola to Hubli, NH4 from Hubli to Bangalore (via the NICE road from Nelamangala to Hosur Road).
Time Taken: 13 hours, 10 minutes from Candolim to Sarjapur Road with a 1 hour breakfast stop, 1 hour lunch stop and a 20 minute chai stop.
Road Condition: Road surface good in NH17 and NH63 (with occasional bad stretches and unmarked speed bumps near villages). NH4 similar to onward journey experience.
Comment: NH17 and NH63 are both 2 lane undivided highways - so average speed will be lower and chances of accidents higher. NH17 is too narrow at places even to be a good 2 lane highway.

Recommendation: For south Goa, NH4-NH63-NH17 maybe a better option. For North Goa - stick to NH4-NH4A-NH17. Drive Safe.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:48   #1230
JLN
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa Road Trip: Travel Date - Friday, Sep 24, 2010

Bangalore to Goa Road Trip: Travel Date - Friday, Sep 24, 2010

Disclaimer: This entire report is based on my memory and any errors (factual or otherwise) is purely unintentional.

Rather than a report on my trip, I have posted below info which may be more useful for future travelers.

Stretch 1: Bangalore City to Nelamangala: Distance & time based on where you are coming from and at what time. We left from Sarjapur Road at 4:47 AM and got to Nelamangala in less than an hour (about 30 kms)
Depending on where and when you start from you can plan this stretch. If you are starting from South Bangalore anytime in the day, take the NICE road that will get you to Nelamangala directly for Rs. 103 (if you get onto the NICE road from Hosur Road). We started at 4:47 am from Sarjapur Road and zipped through the city to Nelamangala with no issues. The elevated bridge is closed as of now – once that opens, the Yeswantpur route may also be an option during the day.

Stretch 2: Nelamangala to Davangere: about 240 kms – 3 hours
Great 4 lane divided highway, especially after Tumkur. Quite a few village/town crossings upto Tumkur – so you need to watch out. Plus we noticed some unexpected small craters in the road (nothing to worry about). The road is empty (only truck traffic – very few cars and buses). So you can really zip through. Road is very scenic at Chitradurga with hills & lots of windmills.
Stops: Barista and Coffee Day attached to petrol bunks very close to Nelamangala. There is a Kamat at a place called Sira (about 100 kms from yeswantpur), but this is on the other side of the highway and getting to it will be a pain. First stop at a decent distance would be a HP petrol bunk with a restaurant “Toppers” attached (This is about 30 minutes from the time you will see the Kamat at Sira) – has OK rest rooms. You will need to get onto the service road to get to this place (watch for a small sign board on the left) and get out there. Otherwise, you will need to drive up the highway, take the next break onto the service road and come back for about a km.

Stretch 3: Davangere to Haveri: 70 kms – 1 to 1.5 hours
Incomplete sections of the NH4 including the Ranibennur railway crossings. The road is generally good with a number of diversions. Watch for unmarked speed bumps and poor road interconnects (by this I mean those places where a section of the road is at a higher level than the stretch connecting it – so when driving at high speeds, your rims will take a hit if you are not careful. HINT: whenever you see a bridge, slow down and watch for these).
Stops: There is a Reliance petrol bunk with a Kamats attached just before Haveri. Clean restrooms and can be an ideal break point (we got here from Sarjapur Road in about 4.5 hours). There is also a BP with a Ghar ka Dhaba restaurant attached about 15 kms ahead of the Kamat. Could be another decent spot to stop, especially if you miss the Kamat.

Stretch 4: Haveri to Hubli: 70 kms – less than 1 hour
Short stretch, but a great 4 lane divided highway all the way upto the Hubli Bypass toll plaza.

Stretch 5: Hubli Bypass: 20 kms – 20 to 30 minutes
Two lane undivided road, but in good condition. If you want to take the route via Yellapur/Ankola (NH63), you will need to branch off at the first exit after the Bypass toll plaza. Ask the guy at the toll booth for specific directions.

Stretch 6: Hubli to Belgaum: 90 kms – 1 hour
Excellent 4 lane divided road (road could feel a little rough, feels like a concrete road in a lot of stretches). You can get off the highway once you see Hotel Sankam on your left (next to a IOC bunk).
Stops: Hotel Sankam was pretty good – decent restaurant again with clean rest rooms. IOC here has a facility to fill air.
Comment: Our Trip ODO read exactly 500.2 kms when we reached Hotel Sankam in Belgaum at 12:10 PM (7 hours 23 minutes from Sarjapur Road).

Stretch 7: Belgaum to Molem on NH4A – Route: Belgaum – Khanapur – Ramnagar - Anmod – Molem: about 115 kms – 2.5 to 3 hours
Getting to NH4A from Sankam is quite easy (ask the watchman at the hotel and he will guide you). Once on NH4A, you will go through a part of the town and then the villages will start. The NH4A stretch upto Molem is not great – the road also seems to be deteriorating fast – you will notice bad sections from around Khanapur. The road is enveloped by trees which cast their shadow hiding the potholes (as mentioned in an earlier post by itwasntme). My recommendation would be to take it easy and drive slow on this entire stretch even if the road surface appears to be great.

Stretch 8: Molem to Panaji on NH4A: about 50 kms – 1 hour
This stretch is quite good (very few bad spots in between). Overall NH4A (right from Ramnagar) really curves likes a snake – so overtaking will be difficult and the drive will be a bit tiring. As soon as you enter the state of Goa, you will see a bunch of roadside tea shops you can stop at, for a quick break. No decent restroom spots on this stretch upto Ponda – just the natural ones. You can take the NH4A bypass to avoid going through Old Goa and hit NH17. Watch out for cops with radars at the bridges on the Goa side – avoid overtaking and stick to the 40 speed limit on the bridges.
Comment: We left Belgaum at 1:30 PM and got to Panaji by 5:15 PM and then it took us another 20 minutes to get to our hotel in Candolim.

Additional Comments:
1) Most of the bunks on the NH4 do not have air filling facility – so would recommend having your tyres filled before leaving Bangalore – you always have the option to getting air filled at the roadside fellows (lots of them all along NH4) in an emergency.
2) If you are traveling with family (esp. women), restroom spots will be a little bit of a bother in the route. So do make a note of the spots mentioned above and plan accordingly.
3) With unhurried driving and adequate stops, you should be able to realistically do Bangalore to Goa in about 12-13 hours.
4) I was a bit skeptical prior to this trip about doing Goa by road (considered taking a Volvo or a flight even a day before the trip), but I would say that if you like driving, have a few people around and some music you like, the road trip will be fun. The bad stretches are definitely motorable and most cars should be able to handle them if you drive carefully.

Drive Safe and enjoy your Road Trip.

Last edited by JLN : 29th September 2010 at 20:05.
JLN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed