Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 15:06   #1081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Since its been 2+ years since i drove on the NH206+NH17 combo - so I decided to try it last weekend for getting to Goa from Bangalore, also having driven almost every month (if not more) to Goa and back - the NH4 was getting monotonous, so though how bad can the other route get ?! Here's my experience.

Started at 2 PM from JP Nagar 6th Phase , reached Goa at 2am (including 1 hour of break time)!

It was a harrowing drive - very stressful due to oncoming traffic, slow moving trucks and other vehicles ! This road just takes away the day time driving advantage as you just cannot go over 80Kmph - and usually you are stuck at 50-60 .

For anyone trying this road to reach goa - please take the NH4 till kittur (would take you 6 hours from bangalore in daylight) and then take the exit on the left to goa via anmod (another 2.5-5 hours depending on your driving skills,luck and time of the day )
the info does not sound good, can you tell me which part of the road you faced most of the traffic?
Old 25th May 2010, 15:23   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Since its been 2+ years since i drove on the NH206+NH17 combo - so I decided to try it last weekend for getting to Goa from Bangalore, also having driven almost every month (if not more) to Goa and back - the NH4 was getting monotonous, so though how bad can the other route get ?! Here's my experience.

Started at 2 PM from JP Nagar 6th Phase , reached Goa at 2am (including 1 hour of break time)!

It was a harrowing drive - very stressful due to oncoming traffic, slow moving trucks and other vehicles ! This road just takes away the day time driving advantage as you just cannot go over 80Kmph - and usually you are stuck at 50-60 .

For anyone trying this road to reach goa - please take the NH4 till kittur (would take you 6 hours from bangalore in daylight) and then take the exit on the left to goa via anmod (another 2.5-5 hours depending on your driving skills,luck and time of the day )
I would attribute your stressful driving experience to the fact that you did the most part of your journey after dark. On a single lane highway after dark will naturally be more stressful due to the oncoming glare and the relative increase in traffic on highways between evenings and mid-night. And these single lane highways aren't really speed oriented highways IMO. For that the GQ is there.

Even then you managed in totally 12 hours with an hour of break thrown in. That's a pretty decent drive time I'd say. I took about 14hrs and 720Kms for Bangalore to Anjuna. With a few breaks thrown in. I started at about 3AM and was at my resort at 5PM. No stress of oncoming traffic, plus had the empty roads from early morning till mid-day.

I'd still say the NH206/NH17 is a fantastic route, provided you don't have a race against time. If its otherwise then the monotonous GQ is the way to go IMO.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:32   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post

I'd still say the NH206/NH17 is a fantastic route, provided you don't have a race against time. If its otherwise then the monotonous GQ is the way to go IMO.
+2 to that, thats why I was surprised to know why the drive was so bad. I have driven in NH 206 3 times, and did not find it hard, the road may be single lane but it is one of the widest road in KA. Plus you get the scenic beauty.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:44   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
the info does not sound good, can you tell me which part of the road you faced most of the traffic?
The entire route actually, most noticeable was the tumkur - shimoga - honnavar stretch, beyond that traffic reduced, and i could maintain speeds of at least 70-80 kmph

Quote:
I have driven in NH 206 3 times, and did not find it hard, the road may be single lane but it is one of the widest road in KA. Plus you get the scenic beauty.
It is not really that wide - personally didn't find much difference between other single carriageways and this NH206.

Also before joining NH17 you need to go through a ghat, there are no petrol stations/restaurants on the way for a very long stretch, also there is absolutely no mobile phone coverage , so in case something goes wrong your in a soup!

Quote:
Plus you get the scenic beauty.
From what I heard on the forum this is one of the reasons I took this route - I didn't manage to see much apart from a few fields which can be seen dime a dozen all over the country

From now on its the GQ for me , 8 hours drive and i'm home ! I guess doesn't work well for me as the GQ route saves me 4 hours of driving and the fact that GQ is mostly a dual carriageway which makes the drive quite a relaxing one!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 26th May 2010 at 10:48.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:14   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
the road may be single lane but it is one of the widest road in KA
I disagree. I find 206 irritatingly narrow compared to other NH's in the state like NH-48.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
I would attribute your stressful driving experience to the fact that you did the most part of your journey after dark.
On the contrary, it is most stressful to drive on 206 between dusk and midnight. I usually leave Bangalore by 11:30pm and there is hardly any traffic on 206 until about 8 am. Morning and evening traffic gets on my nerves.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:00   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I disagree. I find 206 irritatingly narrow compared to other NH's in the state like NH-48.

On the contrary, it is most stressful to drive on 206 between dusk and midnight. I usually leave Bangalore by 11:30pm and there is hardly any traffic on 206 until about 8 am. Morning and evening traffic gets on my nerves.
I totally agree. NH206 is narrow compared to NH48 (before the road widening works started). The only section I like to drive on the NH206 is between Shimoga and Honnavar.

Well, morning & evening traffic is a pain whichever highway you take. Just have to grin & bear it.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:31   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I totally agree. NH206 is narrow compared to NH48 (before the road widening works started). The only section I like to drive on the NH206 is between Shimoga and Honnavar.

Well, morning & evening traffic is a pain whichever highway you take. Just have to grin & bear it.
Well liking or unliking a road is matter of personal experience. I found the road wide enough and till now I have used it 3 times, when you have the habit of using 4 lanes, you will find single lane roads narrow, infact Shimoga to Honnavar section is on the narrow side, while Tumkur to Shimoga is wider. But as you have experienced the road and did not like it, no one can force you on that. Drive on the road you like the most, thats the rule I follow, it reduces stress while drving, may be NH 4 does it for you
Old 1st June 2010, 18:25   #1088
BHPian

Comrades,

How is the following route?

Bangalore-Hassan-DSL-Uppinangai-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi-Marvanthe-Honnavara-Karwar-Goa.

I am planning the following route in July-Aug month. I heard the Mangalore - Goa route is very scenic. Not sure about road conditions.

Planning to stay at South Goa.

Please suggest.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:29   #1089
Senior - BHPian

I agree it takes 10% extra time via Shimoga because of increase in traffic and road widening work is not yet fully completed. But road is smooth and wide than before, most scenic one and less tiresome because of pleasant weather condition. Via chitradurga temperature will be more and heat will beat the strenght during day time.

Between Jog and Honnavar I agree it is thick forest. but it is really nice during rainy season untill mid winter where one can see many small falls, water streams, clouds so on. FOG is another enjoyable thing there. Few curves are still unscientific for fast drivers. if we are within our limits it is good road.

This is highway for people who would like to enjoy the drive/scenary rather than doing crazy fast driving(85+kmph).

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd June 2010 at 10:32.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:47   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Comrades,

How is the following route?

Bangalore-Hassan-DSL-Uppinangai-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi-Marvanthe-Honnavara-Karwar-Goa.

I am planning the following route in July-Aug month. I heard the Mangalore - Goa route is very scenic. Not sure about road conditions.

Planning to stay at South Goa.

Please suggest.
I don't think you will be able to do this in one day at a relaxed pace, unless you don't mind driving at night too.

Just a question, why are you going from Uppinagai to Karkala? Why not directly touch Mangalore and head up NH17. Would be definitely be faster than taking the NH13 till Karkala and the SH to Manipal.

Jul-Aug this place will be lashed by heavy rains, do keep that in mind.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:21   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well liking or unliking a road is matter of personal experience. I found the road wide enough and till now I have used it 3 times, when you have the habit of using 4 lanes, you will find single lane roads narrow, infact Shimoga to Honnavar section is on the narrow side, while Tumkur to Shimoga is wider. But as you have experienced the road and did not like it, no one can force you on that. Drive on the road you like the most, thats the rule I follow, it reduces stress while drving, may be NH 4 does it for you

In fact, i hate driving on the NH-4. It is so boring and monotonous. I do know that the section of the NH206 that I have specified is narrow than most highways. I have taken NH206 for most of my trips to Goa till now and I would still recommend it over the NH4.
Old 4th June 2010, 12:20   #1092
BHPian

I have driven on Bangalore-Shimoga road a gazillion times and never encountered any traffic. Tumkur-Shimoga roads are wide enough. Small stretches tend to get a bit narrow (after Arasikere towards Shimoga).
Shimoga-Honnavar too is a very nice ride without any traffic. This stretch is around 150 odd kms. In that Shimoga-Jog hogs half the distance. Its a nice wide but winding road but one can drive at 80kmph very safely. Jog-Honnavar is the ghat section people talk about. Its not a very steep ghat. Very easy to handle. And the entire stretch isnt ghat in any case. Having driven Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Manipal since my childhood I find this stretch is much more wider and easier to handle.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:52   #1093
BHPian

Came back from Karwar. The stretch from Neelmangala to Bangalore is still irritating. Though the work on the flyovers is like 90-95% complete wonder why they can't wrap it up quickly. They are also setting up toll plazas, if i remember correctly 4 of them. Hope these guys finish it off in a month or two.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:06   #1094

How is the latest road condition from Bangalore to Hubli.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:32   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elendil View Post
How is the latest road condition from Bangalore to Hubli.
elendil

Please refer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adtrip-39.html for the latest updates on the road conditions.

Most Viewed