Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 00:09   #1171
BHPian

I am planning to leave for Calangute from Bangalore by 3am. So should be in Belgaum by 10am (depending on the rains).
From there thinking of taking the Tilari ghat route. My drive is Toyota Corolla. So is this route doable?

Thanks.
Old 4th August 2010, 13:02   #1172
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi

Have more or less settled on the GQ route via NH4 - Tumkur till Kittur and then NH4A - Ramnagar, Ponda, Varca. Feel it is much safer during the monsoons (& night driving) to take a divided 4 lane (where available) than a single lane carriageway.

Car is my trusted Aveo 1.4 with total 4 occupants, 2 car seats and umpteen stuff in the boot .

Our hotel check-in time starts at 12 noon so I have 2 options:
  1. Overnight stay enroute: Leave BLR (Mekhri Circle) at around 1600 via Nelamangala. This will help me beat the worst of the commuter rush leaving BLR but will I still face a lot of truck traffic till Tumkur? Drive till say Hubli (maybe 6 hours drive preferred) and spend the night in a reasonable hotel as I have 2 youngsters!
  2. Leave BLR at around 2100 & drive through the night to Varca. Pros are roads will be emptier, drive will probably be smoother. Cons are potentially huge truck traffic till Tumkur (at least), rains may slow down speed considerably and we will land up in Goa around 0800 (estimated) without a room till noon.
What do you all suggest?
Old 5th August 2010, 06:13   #1173
J.Ravi

@itwasntme, If you are comfortable with night driving, you can start around 12 midnight and reach Goa before 12 noon. Bangalore - Goa could be done without night halt, but see your comfort-level, before taking a decision.

Old 5th August 2010, 06:28   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Kittur and then NH4A - Ramnagar, Ponda, Varca.
Kittur-Ramnagar is heavily potholed until Lond,so keep your eyes open till there.After that the road till Ponda is in excellent condition and the rains havent broken them up yet.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:35   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

J. Ravi & ranjitp1,

Many thanks for your inputs. So should I drive up to Belgaum and avoid the Kittur-Ramnagar shortcut altogether? I don't mind 40/50km extra if I can avoid damaging my car's suspension.

The issue with the 12 to 12 drive is the morning potty factor :-) for all of us and our 2 kids in particular!

I am now veering around to leaving BLR at 1600 and staying the night at maybe, Genesis Resort, Davanagere. This will mean that we can reach D'gere latest by 2100, I think?

Early next morning, I can tackle the incomplete stretches much better than at night.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:55   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for your inputs. So should I drive up to Belgaum and avoid the Kittur-Ramnagar shortcut altogether? I don't mind 40/50km extra if I can avoid damaging my car's suspension.
Yes going via Belgaum is a good option.If you are covering this stretch in the night,then going via Belgaum is a saner option.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:35   #1177
BHPian

I guess till belgaum your route is pretty straightforward. If not already suggested may i suggest belgaum-khanapur-anmod-molem-panaji-calangute

leaving any city at 4pm will only help you beat traffic marginally.

My recommendation (atleast this is what i have found works best for my family):

Leave early. 5am latest. if kids are very small dont wake them up. pick them up and straight into the car

In 4 hours you will be out of town surely (way past tumkur and all the mess). Search for the best available resort in the 3 to 4 hours striking distance. Even a 4 star or 5 star will be quite cheap for a nice breakfast and potty. This time of year most hotels wont be full up so might even oblige you by opening up a room for you for potty duties and a freshen up. (a 500/- tip to help this cause will still be cheaper than a room for the night). If its a good resort you wont even need to bother with the room. The lobby loo will be very clean

Then its a straight run to belgaum for lunch. there is a fabulous hotel that served a superb breakfast the last time we drove to devbag island, karwar from mumbai. Sankam something

then its a 3 to 4 hour run to calangute. just beware that the panjim bustand - bridge area at 6pm ish (rush hour. yes there is a rush hour in goa) is a traffic nightmare

Just make sure you get a good nights sleep before you drive or else if you start by 5am you will start feeling dosy by 7am

always carry some sugar cubes (kadi shakhar) that you can suck on if you feel dosy. red bull will also give you wings for around 2 hours

Drive safe and have a great trip

if you are a non vegetarian and want some eat out tips pm me. i go regularly and can give you a few good suggestions
Old 5th August 2010, 20:27   #1178

My previous drive to Goa (June 09) was a 0430 departure and I was in Haveri at 1030 from where we cut down to Sirsi and the coast.

We drove a Scorpio and averaged a comfortable 80KM. This was when the 4 laning was incomplete and a number of bypasses not complete>

As exchanged with Anil< I am doing a trip on the 12th, with a 0400 departure and a targeted Varca arrival between 1300 and 1400.

Will post you guys on the trip>

Salut,
Arjun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Bankapur-Mundgod-yellapur saves 50km and is best option from nh4 to reach nh17. It is less explored and less travelled stretch. There are few km bad stretches but it is worth it I feel.

There is heavy rain so If same continue next 2 weeks JOG will be in full glory. I am sure by aug. end JOG will be in full glory. If someone wants enjoy water falls around Sirsi it is best time except leeches

Regards,

Ravi.
Dear Ravi,

Any feedback on the completeness of the "missing" bridge ? It is indeed a beautiful drive.

Salut
Arjun

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th August 2010 at 20:31. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) or EDIT the original post instead. Thanks
Old 6th August 2010, 10:24   #1179
BHPian

Bombay-Belgaum-Ramnagar-South Goa run : queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
I guess till belgaum your route is pretty straightforward. If not already suggested may i suggest belgaum-khanapur-anmod-molem-panaji-calangute

Then its a straight run to belgaum for lunch. there is a fabulous hotel that served a superb breakfast the last time we drove to devbag island, karwar from mumbai. Sankam something

if you are a non vegetarian and want some eat out tips pm me. i go regularly and can give you a few good suggestions
>>> 53HP,

Thank you for your advice.

I have a few queries on the following route that I propose to take very very soon :

Bombay-Poona Expressway-NH4 -Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-NH4A-Ramnagar-Anmod-Margao

1. If I start from Bombay at 6 am, and have stoppages for breakfast, lunch and tea, when should I expect to roll in into Margao? I drive safe and slow down at intersections and at points of heavy/irregular traffic/bad roads.

2. How much time should I factor in for the Belgaum-Ramnagar and the Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Margao runs, respectively?

3. Any update on the state of the roads after the recent heavy rains?

4. Any restaurants/eateries that you would recommend for the entire route? Non-vegetarian is fine too.

5. Any recommended petrol pumps ( plain diesel)?

Regards
Old 6th August 2010, 12:53   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Bombay-Poona Expressway-NH4 -Satara-Kolhapur-Belgaum-NH4A-Ramnagar-Anmod-Margao

1. If I start from Bombay at 6 am, and have stoppages for breakfast, lunch and tea, when should I expect to roll in into Margao? I drive safe and slow down at intersections and at points of heavy/irregular traffic/bad roads.

2. How much time should I factor in for the Belgaum-Ramnagar and the Ramnagar-Anmod-Mollem-Margao runs, respectively?
Max 10 hours. Budget 3 hours from Belgaum to Goa. Leave at 5 am so that you don't face any peak hour traffic in Pune bypass.

Quote:
3. Any update on the state of the roads after the recent heavy rains?
My friend went day before yesterday on Belgaum-Goa road and reported good conditions.

Quote:
5. Any recommended petrol pumps ( plain diesel)?

Regards
Refuel at Konduskar's after Kolhapur, after which run till Goa, which has cheaper fuel compared to MH and KA.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:49   #1181
BHPian

itwasntme

Leave BLR (Mekhri Circle) at around 1600 via Nelamangala. This will help me beat the worst of the commuter rush leaving BLR but will I still face a lot of truck traffic till Tumkur? Drive till say Hubli (maybe 6 hours drive preferred) and spend the night in a reasonable hotel as I have 2 youngsters!

I suggest you take Mekhri circle - Yelahanka - Dodballapur - Dobbaspet - Tumkur route where in you will avoid lots of traffic. The road till Dodballapur is really good(2 lane though) and from then on till Dobbaspet, can be done in 30 mints. The road is the factor instead of distance.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:35   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, good idea!
There are also rumours that part of the Nelamangala tollway will open on 15th August!!! Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:26   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, good idea!
There are also rumours that part of the Nelamangala tollway will open on 15th August!!! Keeping fingers crossed.
As per the news report in Bangalore Mirror -July 10th, this was expected to open in a month, so i guess there is a strong possibility of the tollway being thrown open by 15th.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:29   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
As per the news report in Bangalore Mirror -July 10th, this was expected to open in a month, so i guess there is a strong possibility of the tollway being thrown open by 15th.
While going in this road I have seen atleast 4 toll booths being constructed, any idea why so? the roa is not that long that the use have to pay 4 times.If they fix the toll charges like the Elevated road in Electronic City, I don't think many of the users will be using it.
Old 7th August 2010, 19:14   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Max 10 hours. Budget 3 hours from Belgaum to Goa. Leave at 5 am so that you don't face any peak hour traffic in Pune bypass.

My friend went day before yesterday on Belgaum-Goa road and reported good conditions.

Refuel at Konduskar's after Kolhapur, after which run till Goa, which has cheaper fuel compared to MH and KA.
>>> Thank you hvk!
My route has been finalised as above, through Kolhapur-Belgaum-NH4A-Ramnagar-Anmod -Mollem NP-Margao. Made a post on this route in the thread on road conditions during monsoon.

Will message you about my progress.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks