Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 13:46   #1321
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per what I read in this forum, its not worth taking the Bankapur stretch. You wont save any time as the roads are pretty bad.
Thanks ampere, I am almost convinced that nh4 -> nh63 is better. I will post an update either from goa or once I am back.

If any one else has information please do post.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:50   #1322
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to do Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi at any time. It is a peaceful drive with no hassles. Unless one wants to see Jog not worth going on Bangalore - Honnavar road.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:52   #1323
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer to do Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi at any time except monsoons. We had a memorable experience of driving under a canopy of watrfalls in monsoon too

It is a peaceful drive with no hassles. Unless one wants to see Jog not worth going on Bangalore - Honnavar road.
Old 26th December 2010, 07:17   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I would prefer to do Bangalore - Belgaum - Amboli - Sawantwadi at any time except monsoons. We had a memorable experience of driving under a canopy of watrfalls in monsoon too

It is a peaceful drive with no hassles. Unless one wants to see Jog not worth going on Bangalore - Honnavar road.
Took this road on the 23rd...The Ambolim Ghat road is a bit bumpy this year Last year the road was good. There was a major landslide on this road and so there is repair work ongoing just after the water fall. Road is kept closed for 30-45 minutes in intervals, I was stuck in one of these.

Other than this the road till Belgaum is in good condition except for the couple of railway crossings. Sawantwadi to North Goa is excellent too.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:58   #1325

I have to drive from Bangalore to Kumta on the 30th. Can anybody update me on the current condition of the road, SH2 I believe, between Haveri and Kumta through Sirsi.
How long would the drive take leaving haveri at 9 am? Car is Esteem VX Petrol, thanks.

Alternatively is there a direct road from Davangere to Sirsi, bypassing the need to touch Haveri.
Old 27th December 2010, 07:45   #1326
Team-BHP Support

I dont think you can by-pass Sirsi to hit Kumta. If you need to do that one route is via Sddapur, but then its better to take the Jog/Sagar route instead (206), which is bringing the problem back to square one.

You will need to go via Sirsi.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:48   #1327

Thanks for that, I was actually wondering is I could by pass Haveri, not Sirsi- is there a Davangere (or Harihar) to Sirsi road and is it in decent condition.

Also any update on the current condition of SH2 from Haveri to Kumta would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 17:57   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone travelled on the Siddapur-Bilgi-Kumta road recently? I am going to Goa day after tomorrow and I am planning to take this route to join the NH17.

Since I am starting from Hassan, I will be taking the Shimoga-Sagar-Talguppa-Siddapur-Kumta-Karwar-Goa route.

Alternatively, I might go till Sirsi and take the Devimane ghat to Mirjan. But it depends on the road conditions on both these roads.

Please let me know which road is the better one?

Or should I stick to the regular Jog-Honnavar route?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 27th December 2010 at 17:59. Reason: added comment
Old 28th December 2010, 23:32   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Has anyone travelled on the Siddapur-Bilgi-Kumta road recently? I am going to Goa day after tomorrow and I am planning to take this route to join the NH17.
?
Hi Addy, I replied to your PM, I suggest either route 1 or 3 for you, both have more or less same amount of bad roads,

thanks,
Old 29th December 2010, 07:48   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Since I am starting from Hassan, I will be taking the Shimoga-Sagar-Talguppa-Siddapur-Kumta-Karwar-Goa route.

Alternatively, I might go till Sirsi and take the Devimane ghat to Mirjan. But it depends on the road conditions on both these roads.

Please let me know which road is the better one?

Or should I stick to the regular Jog-Honnavar route?
You can take the Sirsi-Kumpta route. At least that is the more frequented route. Not aware of the Siddapura-Kumpta route.
This way you can even visit Yana.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:02   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
Team, all you folks travelling to Goa (North or South) for Christmas/ New-years, plllease dont forget to come back and post the road conditions.
Will be of great help for others planning to travel in this route in the weeks to come(including me)
Thanks,
Varun
Had a great vacation in Goa. I took the Blr - Hubli - karwar - goa route both to go and come back. Amazing roads. Was able to drive back from panjim to my house in 10hrs. This route is highly recommended. Except for about 20-30 KM between chitradurga and davenegere, the NH4 is absolutely wonderful. Hubli to karwar is also not an issue as well. Karwar to Goa is wonderful again. Inside Goa the roads are all great.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:31   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.......Or should I stick to the regular Jog-Honnavar route?
Back from a weekend in Goa. I happened to take the Jog-Honnavar route and found it not too bad. Only a few kms after Mavinagundi are bad and the rest of the stretch is good. The last 20 kms to Honnavar is very good. After that, the the roads are good all the way to Goa. The only sour point in the trip was the numerous traffic jams which we had to endure in Goa. But, that was expected.

On the return journey, I came back through Karwar-Honnavar-Jog-Shimoga-Arsikere. Jog-Shimoga stretch too has become rough over the days. Shimoga-Arsikere has a lot of broken stretches.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:50   #1333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Back from a weekend in Goa. I happened to take the Jog-Honnavar route and found it not too bad. Only a few kms after Mavinagundi are bad and the rest of the stretch is good. The last 20 kms to Honnavar is very good. After that, the the roads are good all the way to Goa. The only sour point in the trip was the numerous traffic jams which we had to endure in Goa. But, that was expected.

On the return journey, I came back through Karwar-Honnavar-Jog-Shimoga-Arsikere. Jog-Shimoga stretch too has become rough over the days. Shimoga-Arsikere has a lot of broken stretches.
You are talking of the same route right? (Both while going and coming).
Or different ones?
Old 4th January 2011, 15:38   #1334

Dear Deepak,

The forum has been a treasure of information and the particular route - Bangalore-Goa is one I have done several times.

I can say quite confidently that the Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Goa is an excellent route. The last time we travelled (aug 10), we set out at 0445 and were in Goa (Cavalosim - Zuri) at 1245.

The route to Hubli is very good and while one section (written about in an earlier post) is not dual carraigeway, it is good with the exception of the proximity to the railway crossing. We drove around 110 and averages close to 85-90.

We were at Haveri (Gas stop) at about 0830 so do the math.

The route Hubli to Ankola is also very good, and there were minimal potholes in the ghat section (from Yellapur) but the Hubli-Yellapur section is excellent.

The coast road too is great and the one section after you enter Goa (over the ghats) too is fixed.

Advise: do NOT take the scenic short-cut from Bankapur to Yellapur as the bridge is still down. On one trip we had feedback that it was up but it was not - and the route from Mundgod back to the Hubli-Yelapur highway was a nightmare.

The route from Haveri to Kumta was not bad - less travelled and somehow not as scenic as the Hubli-Ankola road.

Enjoy !!

Arjun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Obviously via Mangalore is out so I have three choices
  1. Bang-Hubli-Ankola-Goa. I was planning this till a friend said that the Chitradurga Hubli stretch is still not done and the Hubli - Ankola is not good
  2. Bang-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Goa is what he suggested
  3. Bangalore – Tumkur – Sira – Chitradurga – Davangere – Ranibennur – Haveri – Sirsi – Mirjan – Ankola – Karwar – Canacona – Palolem Beach - Madgaon – Panaji is what I read here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/21721-travelogue-bangalore-goa.html

but that is a pre-monsoon report.

Any ideas on which might me the best route? Distance a bit more is fine as long as the roads are good.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:24   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You are talking of the same route right? (Both while going and coming).
Or different ones?
It is the same route. I'm sorry I did not put it right

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks